Menu

Finding a new home for a cat or euthanizing....need suggestions.

We rescued our cat (male, short-haired, about 2yrs old) in September. He was a neighborhood cat and he wasn't being well cared for (underweight, left to fight off raccoons and other wild animals at night). He has all his shots and is healthy. He is now an indoor only cat and he just loves to be part of a family. He cuddles, plays, and soaks up the attention... much like a friendly dog... Anyway, my 3 yr old son was just diagnosed (last week) with an allergy to cats and possible asthma. Don't even let me get started on the guilt that I feel for having missed the symptoms of his allergy to cats. He is also allergic to milk and soy- which explains why his symptoms of stuffy nose have been around well before the cat showed up....

Anyway, our cat needs a new home and I've posted flyers, called the vet, talked to friends- but no one wants a cat. We have isolated our cat in the master bedroom to keep him away from our son, but our cat is upset at being away from the family and he is scratching (again, like a dog) to get out. If we send him outside, he will be near a highway, lots of wild animals, and rabies is active (pets have been affected) in this area. We won't feel comfortable with our kids (who aren't allergic to him) petting and playing with him b/c who knows what parasites he will pick up. So, my husband says the responsible thing to do is give us a bit more time to find a home and then euthanize if he can not go to a new family. This is heartbreaking for me, but I want to be a responsible pet owner and this cat deserves to be cared for and loved properly.

Any advice? Any other strategies to find my cat a new home?

Sue

Edited:

I've bathed our cat and he really wasn't very bothered by the experience- our vet provided a recommended shampoo for cats. We will probably repeat the bathing in a few days. I will also wipe him with a wet towel- Thank you for the suggestion!!!. No, we did not attempt to use the blow dryer- Thank you for that reminder, too!!!

So far, my son seems fine. He is only 3 yrs old so I'm not sure if he has some mild symptom that I am unaware of but his eyes and nose are clear- so that is encouraging. We are going to purchase a HEPA air filter since my son also has allergies to cedar & oak trees (and we live in Texas).

Thank you everyone for your advice & suggestions. Our kitty is a rescue cat and we really want him to have a comfortable and full life.

Edited by Sue in TX
Update:

Any advice? Any other strategies to find my cat a new home?

Sue

Do you have any rescue organizations there? Our local Petco and Petsmart have pet adoptions every Saturday, organized by a couple of the humane societies here. My neighbor fosters cats to be put up for adoption. I'd try to find someone like that - most are very unwilling to let a cat like yours be euthanized and will take them in and foster them for adoption if they have the people available to do it.

I wouldn't euthanize an animal just because of allergies.

Absolutely not. I strongly encourage you to remove that from your list of possibilities, so that you can give full effort to finding another solution.. one that does not require killing a perfectly healthy, happy, affectionate animal! :confused: That sounds so incredibly wrong to me. At the very, very least, there is bound to be a farm somewhere that would be happy to have another barn cat. With a heated barn, that can be an enjoyable life for a cat. There are also many no-kill shelters in the US that might take him. There are many, many options to explore, but I would exclude the euthanasia option from consideration.

Yes, check out some farms, although if they are like us they are overstocked already.

Our boys are allergic to cats, and our doc told us as long as they don't sleep with them there was no need to get rid of the cats, which wasn't an option for us anyhow, the boys would have fought me tooth and nail for their cats. So for a few years we didn't let them in the boy room, and now they seem to have outgrown the allergies. They are now sleeping with their cats again and showing no symptoms.

Please don't put a healthy kitty to sleep, he must miss being with you.

I would find a rescue group OR take him to your local humane society if you need him to leave immediately. Please do not euthanize a healthy animal that is affectionate and loving and YOUNG. :( Most of the time, a good humane society will not euthanize a health animal as long as they have room. You can tell by walking in (IMO) which type they are. Hanging a poster at the vet is another good idea - and even telling your vet the issue may help. I know some vets will take on the responsibility of finding the animal a new home themselves in those cases.

If I lived in TX, I would take him off your hands. My dh would kill me, but I would take him in a second before I allowed him to be euthanized. :(

Sue...

We live in north Texas and would take him. He would be a barn cat with the zillion others we have here. But the kids and dogs give them a lot of affection and attention. One of the newer strays lives with the goats.:lol:

You can pm me and we can figure out a way to get him here.:001_smile: That is, if you don't live all the way in south Texas! We could do a WTM cat relay.;)

Our boys are allergic to cats, and our doc told us as long as they don't sleep with them there was no need to get rid of the cats

All three of my children are allergic to cats, and this is just what our allergist told us. No cats and dogs in the children's bedrooms = no problems.

One of my rotating sig lines is 'why yes, vacuuming IS my hobby'.

Can you guess why? Dh is quite allergic. I probably am too, but denial isn't just a river in Egypt & I refuse to get tested.

And if that's not enough to skew my opinions on this, I'm a volunteer with dog and rodent rescues. I also have a cat but I don't DO cat rescue because I swear, cat rescue would kill me. It's like the dutch boy with the finger in the dyke.....

The odds of a cat coming out of a shelter alive are very, very low.

We all like to think lovely things about no kill shelters and rescues and foster homes but the fact is, we are ALL FULL. There is no room. So the choices are life in a no kill shelter cage, or euth, or life on the streets.

There are just waaaay too many cats and kittens & millions are euthenized every year. And still people buy or breed kittens because, because, because.... (there's always a good reason why THEY need this kitten from this breeder and somebody else should adopt those homeless ones.....)

OK, enough bitter rescue talk.

Here are your best bets:

Drs advise getting rid of pets because often it seems 'easy'. It's not easy for the family and it's life threatening for the animal. I know a number of families with quite severe allergies who've managed to deal with animals & allergies. My friend is a vet & her dd is allergic to animal dander and has asthma triggered by exercise and by allergies. They have dogs, cats, bunnies, birds & she's a competitive swimmer. Odd that nobody every suggested she give up swim team though many drs suggested the animals go......needless to say, the animals are not going.

So -

First off, vacuum like it's your newfound hobby. At least once a day. With HEPA bags.

If there are carpets in your home, rip them out now. I can almost guarantee that a few months down the road, even sans cat, you'll discover more allergies to dust & mites & heaven knows what else. Might as well get rid of the carpeting now & put in wood flooring *before* you get rid of the cat.

Make the child's room cat free. The room stays closed all the time.

Get rid of all stuffed animals from the child's room.

Bathe the cat regularly (weekly to every two weeks). Most cats btw do not like this very much. But is it better than rotting in a cage in a shelter/being put to sleep/being hit by a car? I think so.

If after these efforts, the symptoms are still unbearable, I think the best bet is still finding a family by word of mouth & advertising in local papers.

If you do decide to give away your cat, give yourself time to find a new family. Advertise on craigslist and in the buy & sell. Ask for a small fee - not to recoup your costs but to weed out people who collect animals to torture them/use them in dogfighting rings/sell them animal testing labs/feed them to snakes.... - yes all this happens. Rather than having them pay you, you can ask them to make a donation to a local spca or shelter in lieu of a fee.

Finally, I sure hope this tom is neutered????? Do not adopt him out until he's neutered if he's not.

Good luck. I hope it works out for all of you.

Edited by hornblower
duh error

All three of my children are allergic to cats, and this is just what our allergist told us. No cats and dogs in the children's bedrooms = no problems.

With the possibility of asthma, though, cats might trigger breathing problems.

It's funny that's what your allergist told you. I'm allergic to cats and *most* of the time I'm ok as long as I don't pet or touch the cat. However, there are times just being in a house where a cat lives will set my allergies off. And it's bad, too. Even in my sister's house...she keeps an immaculate house and has wood/tile floors in the living areas....that long-haired cat can make my eyes itch and my nose run.

I agree with those that suggested you find a home and take euthanasia off the list of options. You've already had one person offer to take the cat as a barn cat, which I think is a better option than ending it's life.

I do not suggest you keep the cat unless you are a cat-lover who is willing to put up with the symptoms. I'm one of those people. Even though I do love cats, it does get tiring to be stuffed up year round and prone to sinus infections.

I dread a similar decision in regard to my parents' cat. Dad is now in a nursing home, and Mom really should be. My brother and I may have to find a home for their pet on very short notice. Both of us are allergic and live in other states. Unfortunately if the rescue groups can't find a foster home willing to take a 14 y.o. cat that doesn't like other pets and needs a lot of special care for medical problems, we may be faced with putting her down. Not a good thought...

Hopefully I don't get blasted for this, but....

GVA, your situation is totally different. A 14 y.o. cat would be difficult to place even if it were in good health. Plus the cat itself may not do well being uprooted from it's familiar surroundings, emotionally and physically, and actually hasten the end. In your case, euthanasia may be the kinder choice.

Sue, please, please, please, find another option. You've been given great advice. Use it. As one who is facing the coming euthanasia of our beloved, 8 y.o. cat due to cancer, don't do that to a young, healthy cat.

Thank you everyone for your advice & encouragement! Of course, euthanizing is very extreme -, but we have asked the vet, posted flyers, and talked to everyone we can think of about taking in our cat. Our local shelters are full and not interested in helping us... The bottom line is we will not be giving up! Our cat was a rescue cat and he should have a chance at a happy, easy life with us or some other loving family.

I am looking for some recommendations on bathing my cat- what type of shampoo is best? I am so thankful also for the offer to relocate our cat to a farm/barn- Thank you AGGIE!!! We will see how we manage with a bathed & brushed cat, vacuumed/mopped tile floors, and a HEPA air filter in our home.

I really, really want to thank you all for your encouragement and advice. It means so much to me.

Sue

You just described my story! We have two 2 year old cats. Just last month I had a skin scratch test and it confirmed my suspicions....I'm allergic to cats. On a scale of 1-10, the doctor said I was a 9.5. So I'm pretty allergic. I really really want to get rid of the cats. However, I wont just put them anywhere. I'm NOT a cat-lover. I've never had cats in my life, but two years ago we decided to get them for our daughter. I thought I could like cats.....well, not so much. I dont like them. But I committed to them, therefore, I will not allow them to be euthanized at such a young age. They are WONDERUL cats....the girls can do whatever they want to them and the cats just love them to pieces.

I've asked everyone I know....my sister has asked around at the vet she works at....I've looked at craigslist. No one wants adult cats. Right now I'm putting up with the symptoms until I can find a place for them. I'm not a cat lover, so bathing every day and stuff like that is just not for me. Anyways, our huge tabby cat would NOT go for a bath, at all. That thing is huge and would claw the heck out of me if I tried to bathe him. He doesnt even like to be picked up....he will claw to get down. But he's nice in every other way.

So I feel your pain. I'll continue looking and asking around till I find someone.

It's funny that's what your allergist told you. I'm allergic to cats and *most* of the time I'm ok as long as I don't pet or touch the cat. However, there are times just being in a house where a cat lives will set my allergies off. And it's bad, too. Even in my sister's house...she keeps an immaculate house and has wood/tile floors in the living areas....that long-haired cat can make my eyes itch and my nose run.

I have a hard time believing people with alergies to cats are living in the same house with cats! My husband is alergic to cats and can't even enter a house where one lives. One time we went to a freind's daughter's house to see a new baby. We didn't know they had a cat or we wouldn't have gone. We were there 15 minutes when we had to leave due to DH's eyes burning, nose itching, sneezing uncontrolably. He couldn't even drive home. Personally, I would never have a cat in the house if my children were alergic to them. Kid's health comes first. Not even for 1 day. I know my husband is so miserable with his alergies and I can't imagine putting my kids through that. Maybe some of these children don't really have an alergy to cats...or a different kind of alergy...or something??:confused:

I know my husband is so miserable with his alergies and I can't imagine putting my kids through that. Maybe some of these children don't really have an alergy to cats...or a different kind of alergy...or something??:confused:

Well, it depends, of course, on the severity of the allergy. However, I also think (and I have no medical evidence for this, just anecdotal) that one does develop a tolerance for being around cats, even with an allergy.

I'm mildly allergic to cats. However, I've had them as pets (indoors only) most of my adult life. When the second of my first two died a few years ago, we went without a cat in the house for a couple of years. And, when we brought in the first of the current two, I reacted badly to him: sneezing, itching, eyes itching and burning, etc. However, he's now been with us for about three years, during which time we've added a second cat, and I rarely notice a problem anymore. It one of them gets right up in my face or scratches me, I'm uncomfortable, but it's not enough to make me consider getting rid of them or to prevent me from getting another.

By the way, after we acquired the guinea pigs a few years ago (when we were in between cats), we discovered I have the same reaction to their fur as I do to cats. When I've been holding the remaining one (who is longer haired and flufflu) for a while, my skin gets very red and irritated. Once I put her back in her cage, I have to go wash thoroughly, which helps a bit. I probably won't bring more guinea pigs into the house, knowing now that I am allergic. But I made a committment to the one who is here now, and we love her, and she will live out her happy piggy life with us, because that's what we promised would happen.

Edited to add: Okay, so Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source of medical information. However, I did find this comment in their article about cat allergies:

Desensitizing

Many people originally allergic to cats have, over time, become "immune" to allergic symptoms from their own cats; however, they may still have allergic reactions, of varying intensity, to other cats. This is not reliable when deciding to get a cat as a pet, as allergy may become worse, not better, with time.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I dread a similar decision in regard to my parents' cat. Dad is now in a nursing home, and Mom really should be. My brother and I may have to find a home for their pet on very short notice. Both of us are allergic and live in other states. Unfortunately if the rescue groups can't find a foster home willing to take a 14 y.o. cat that doesn't like other pets and needs a lot of special care for medical problems, we may be faced with putting her down. Not a good thought...

My mother passed away suddenly and she had 11 cats. I lived in another state and had to find no kill shelters for them. It was not easy. There are not a lot out there and none of the ones we did find would take 11 cats. Finally the group that came to assess moving the house to a historical park decided that between them they would find homes for all of them. It worked out great that they people who showed up to do this just so happed to all be cat lovers as well.

Edited by KidsHappen

For the dissent:

1. This is a cat, not a person.

2. Not all people allergic to cats can live with one as long as it's not sleeping in the same bed. I can't imagine a doctor making such a blanket statement. My daughter has had severe reactions after hugging her grandmother in OUR cat-free house, which is 9 hours from the grandmother's house. Having a cat in our house would put her in the hospital. We've tried allergy shots, for many months and many hundreds of dollars, and she had such severe reactions to the shots that we had to stop them.

Of course you do the best you can to find a good home for the cat, but if keeping the cat makes your child miserable or endangers her life, considering euthenasia as a very, very last resort does not make you a bad person. It's certainly more humane than the processes used for slaughtering animals for meat.

Terri

I am looking for some recommendations on bathing my cat- what type of shampoo is best? I am so thankful also for the offer to relocate our cat to a farm/barn- Thank you AGGIE!!! We will see how we manage with a bathed & brushed cat, vacuumed/mopped tile floors, and a HEPA air filter in our home.

I really, really want to thank you all for your encouragement and advice. It means so much to me.

Sue

We had to bathe our cats regularly when we were battling fleas - and I don't remember what shampoo we used - I'd just look for something at the petstore formulated for cats. I'd also make sure you have several large towels ready and trim the cat's claws before attempting bathing (and make sure the bathroom door is closed, so if the cat escapes the tub, it can't run all through the house soaking wet. . .). Some cats react much more wildly than others (one cat we had tolerated it, the other one, tries everything she can to just get out of the tub).

You might also look into going with a high quality food made with human grade ingredients. We have a friend who is highly allergic to cats - can't be in the same house with them - and he's spent a whole evening here for dinner w/ no reactions. I feed Wellness canned and Evo canned and dry. There are a number of brands available now (and although I buy it online, I did notice that our local Petco is now carrying Wellness, so it's much easier to find, now, too).

I would be careful placing an ad for a free cat on Petfinder or Craigslist. Unfortunately there are some pretty unsavory characters out there who look for free animals for labs and things. :glare:

I was thinking the same thing.

Most reputable rescues I know charge a "re-homing fee" that is intended largely to discourage people from taking free animals for less than ethical purposes.

I would be careful placing an ad for a free cat on Petfinder or Craigslist. Unfortunately there are some pretty unsavory characters out there who look for free animals for labs and things. :glare:

I was just about to post this myself. You have to be VERY careful. There's some crazies on craigslist that will use cats for bait for training their dogs to fight as well. There are animal hoarders on there who will collect animal after animal and keep them in unsanitary living conditions, etc. Charge a re-homing fee, ask for the vet that they use and contact them to see if they have records there and keep their animals up to date, and make sure you meet them before just handing your cat over. I'm highly allergic to our cats, but I am just too distrusting to list them on craigslist yet. That will be my last resort.

One more thing... My 8 yos went to an allergist last year, because we were thinking about keeping a cat that we were caring for while its owner found a home for him, but we wanted to make sure he was not allergic first. He did test positive for cat allergies, but I was very surprised when the allergist told me about a "cat vaccine" that he highly recommends. He said that the vaccine was 100% effective, and that there is no reason that we couldn't get a couple of cats. (More than two could be a problem, he said, not that we were planning on getting more than two anyway.) I asked him if it would be better to not get cats in the first place, because we didn't have any yet, but he was very confident that with the vaccine there is no reason not to get a cat! He encouraged us to go ahead and get a cat, in fact. So that vaccine might be something you'd want to look into with your allergist.

Also, the funny thing was, we did keep the cat, and got another one to keep that one company, and my ds has NEVER, in the past year, has a single allergic reaction to them! We were waiting to get the cat vaccine until he showed symptoms, but they never showed up, so he didn't even need the vaccine! We haven't done anything special to prevent reactions, other than that we don't let the cats in the kids' bedrooms at night. Since then I've read online that a person can show an allergy to cats on the tests, but they never actually have an allergic reaction to them. I thought I'd mention that to you as well, since you said that your son had allergic symptoms before you got the cat. Unless you have clearly observed allergic reactions to the cats themselves, a positive test doesn't necessarily mean that a person will have a real life reaction.

My eldest has moderate to severe asthma, symptoms controlled through immunotherapy and as-needed meds. He's had no problems with the cat or dogs, which as I said stay out of the children's rooms. I guess some allergies bother some folks more than others, or maybe we're just lucky. Our allergist is extremely competent and managed to get my child off daily steroids after seven years, so I'd say he probably knows what he's talking about. Don't know why that's "funny." :confused:

Not all people allergic to cats can live with one as long as it's not sleeping in the same bed. I can't imagine a doctor making such a blanket statement.

Why not? I can't imagine his insisting that all pets, carpeting, dust mites, stuffies, bleach and any other potential allergy/asthma triggers be immediately removed from a home without first gauging the affects. Again, our allergist is extremely competent and has helped us achieve nothing short of miracles with our children's health.

For the dissent:

1. This is a cat, not a person.

2. Not all people allergic to cats can live with one as long as it's not sleeping in the same bed. I can't imagine a doctor making such a blanket statement. My daughter has had severe reactions after hugging her grandmother in OUR cat-free house, which is 9 hours from the grandmother's house. Having a cat in our house would put her in the hospital. We've tried allergy shots, for many months and many hundreds of dollars, and she had such severe reactions to the shots that we had to stop them.

Of course you do the best you can to find a good home for the cat, but if keeping the cat makes your child miserable or endangers her life, considering euthenasia as a very, very last resort does not make you a bad person. It's certainly more humane than the processes used for slaughtering animals for meat.

Terri

But the question is not really "Which is more important, my child's health or this cat?" Obviously it is the child's health, and the cat cannot stay in the home if it is making the child sick (though as it has been noted in this thread, not every person who tests positive for cat allergies are actually made sick by cats.) But even if keeping the cat puts the child's health at risk, the real question is, "Is there really a possibility that there is not a single place where this cat could live?" Not a home, not a farm, not a shelter, anywhere??? I do not believe that is possible, which is why I believe that killing the cat should not be an option, in any way. It is worth a few hours drive if necessary to keep from ending the life of a healthy, normal, two year old cat! There is somewhere within a few hours of the OP where this cat can live a full life, I am sure of it. One farm has already been offered here on this board. I am glad from the OP's later post to read that she has not given up on finding her cat a home!

I've heard from others with mild cat allergies that rather than daily bathing it sometimes works to wipe the cat down with a wet towel. I think I've seen some type of disposable wipes for this purpose at the pet store.

One of our cats goes outside, and we occasionally have to wipe her down in the spring and summer because she brings in pollen on her fur and we're allergic to that. I've just used a large old towel, fairly damp, and sort of "hugged" her with it. She gets a pretty good wiping down as she struggle away. :001_smile:

Edited to add: Okay, so Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source of medical information. However, I did find this comment in their article about cat allergies:

Desensitizing

Many people originally allergic to cats have, over time, become "immune" to allergic symptoms from their own cats; however, they may still have allergic reactions, of varying intensity, to other cats. This is not reliable when deciding to get a cat as a pet, as allergy may become worse, not better, with time.

Allergies are weird. We had to give our cat to my aunt when my sister was little and dx'ed w/asthma. After a while, she'd have an attack *every time we visited my aunt. Today, my sister lives with 3 cats and is fine. :001_huh:

She can also visit here (where we have 2 dogs and 2 cats) and doesn't start sniffling until the 2nd or 3rd day.

hhhmmm

Either ban the cat from the bedroom or give it away but do not KILL it!!

My son is allergic to cats but we have one in the house and he takes his meds. Everybody is happy. DS has the main decision as to whether we keep the cat or not. He is for keeping the cat but his deal is he has to take his meds. My son does not get sick around cats. He does around dogs but he is not allergic to them according to the testing. Not sure why...

He is asthmatic as well.

Holly

Desensitizing

This is what happened with my dh. Everytime we get a new cat he has trouble with them for a while then is fine. The cat we have now we had for 5 years. None of us including dh is bothered by her. DH was for about 1 month then that is it.

whenever we get a new cat, I am allergic to it for a few months or less and then I am fine. We have 7 cats.

I also take zyrtec every night as I also have allergies to mold (we live at the shore so very damp) and to pollen (we have meadows and rushes in our back yard). I also take local honey every day. I rarely have any problems now with my allergies unless I forget to take my spoonful of honey every day

howeaver, if I go to other peoples houses that have cats, I am very allergic to their cats.

Oh, I forgot, sometimes when we get a new cat and I have having problems I will damp the cat down with something called Allergepet of something like that. I get in just at the local food store. I just put it on the cat with a washcloth. I think it settles down the dander.

I just wanted to post an update to thank everyone for their suggestions.

Edited:

I've bathed our cat and he really wasn't very bothered by the experience- our vet provided a recommended shampoo for cats. We will probably repeat the bathing in a few days. I will also wipe him with a wet towel- Thank you for the suggestion!!!. No, we did not attempt to use the blow dryer- Thank you for that reminder, too!!!

So far, my son seems fine. He is only 3 yrs old so I'm not sure if he has some mild symptom that I am unaware of but his eyes and nose are clear- so that is encouraging. We are going to purchase a HEPA air filter since my son also has allergies to cedar & oak trees (and we live in Texas).

Thank you everyone for your advice & suggestions. Our kitty is a rescue cat and we really want him to have a comfortable and full life.