Menu

HUGE decision to make!!!! HELP!!!

I have been offered a position as a principal at an International Christian school on the island of Penang in Malaysia. :svengo:

I'm not going to lie...it sounds like a pretty nice gig. The school itself is literally on the beach. The climate there is summer year-round (which is right up my alley as I hate winter). Housing is included. It is a beautiful, tropical island. Most people in Malaysia speak English. It is a Christian school full of missionary kids and children of expats. My kids could attend the school for free and since I would be their principal I would be able to keep a good eye on them. I get 6 weeks off at Christmas and 8 weeks off in the summer when I could come stateside for a visit. I already work full time as a school administrator in the great white frozen north. yuck. The kids going to school would be a big adjustment. My dh is totally for it and would leave tomorrow if possible. He will volunteer at the school and eventually would look for work either in Malaysia or possibly at the school itself.

So what's the question??? I don't know...it's just so... unexpected and CRAZY. :tongue_smilie:

Would you take the opportunity? Am I crazy?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, um, no. Not because of the job, or the cool beach front thing...but because you could not pay me enough to move to Malaysia. However, you could hop over to Singapore and pick up some Math supplies while you are there. ;) That is just me personally. I am a total farm girl from the USA. If it interests you and is something you WANT to do, then go for it. You only live one time!

Lead, follow, or get out of the way! The rest of us might just jump in your luggage. Heck, we'll live in the shack and homeschool your kids :)

A memorable life is filled with experiences, serendipities, and friends and family. You will get all the above in one little expat. Enjoy!

Are you hs'ing right now? I just re-read your post--the 1st time I read it, I thought you said the dc were already in school, but now I see it "would be a big adjustment."

That would be *my* only point of hesitation. I'd have to think about school choices & make sure this was w/in the realm of what I wanted.

Fwiw, I'm a hard-core hs'er. I do NOT think everyone should be, & I'm glad that no one's offering me the job they're offering you because I'd be in a TIZZY trying to figure out what to do.

Reading your post, I don't hear the same concerns. I hear flipped-out, blissed-out enthusiasm. It *sounds* like you should go for it.

(Oh, but dh--is he working now? What kind of income would you lose? Etc. Baby's biting. Gotta go.)

The position sounds wonderful; congratulations on your selection! My knee-jerk reaction is to say "Go for it!". The location sounds lovely, and the job interesting. I do think you need to really familiarize yourself with what living there would be like. Of course it would be nice to live in a climate you enjoy, Because you're so unhappy in Michigan, just about anything else is going to sound enticing. But I think anyone who wants to move to another country should do some serious research. I myself would want to at least make a trip there to scope it out. Have you learned more about life in Malaysia since you posted about this previously? I mentioned then that I can connect you with a good friend who has a great deal of familiarity with the Malay people, having lived there herself. Let me know if you want to speak with her.

If I were you, I'd also want to connect with others who work/have worked in similiar positions. We have a good friend who is the principal of a school for the children of missionaries in Jakarta. The job offers an array of positives, not the least of which is the opportunity to live in another culture and the significant amount of time off. But life there, and the rigors of the job, are by no means easy street.

Honestly, Heather, it sounds wonderful, but I think you need to proceed caution. I say that primarily because I know you really, really dislike where you're living now. You want to avoid the "rose-coloured glasses" syndrome though, kwim?

Again, congratulations! I'm so far removed from that time in life when I received pay for the work I do, I think I'd cry tears of joy just from the affirmation of receiving a job offer.:tongue_smilie:

I have been offered a position as a principal at an International Christian school on the island of Penang in Malaysia. :svengo:

I'm not going to lie...it sounds like a pretty nice gig. The school itself is literally on the beach. The climate there is summer year-round (which is right up my alley as I hate winter). Housing is included. It is a beautiful, tropical island. Most people in Malaysia speak English. It is a Christian school full of missionary kids and children of expats. My kids could attend the school for free and since I would be their principal I would be able to keep a good eye on them. I get 6 weeks off at Christmas and 8 weeks off in the summer when I could come stateside for a visit. I already work full time as a school administrator in the great white frozen north. yuck. The kids going to school would be a big adjustment. My dh is totally for it and would leave tomorrow if possible. He will volunteer at the school and eventually would look for work either in Malaysia or possibly at the school itself.

So what's the question??? I don't know...it's just so... unexpected and CRAZY. :tongue_smilie:

Would you take the opportunity? Am I crazy?

Sure, go for it!! What a great opportunity!

Are you hs'ing right now? I just re-read your post--the 1st time I read it, I thought you said the dc were already in school, but now I see it "would be a big adjustment."

That would be *my* only point of hesitation. I'd have to think about school choices & make sure this was w/in the realm of what I wanted.

Fwiw, I'm a hard-core hs'er. I do NOT think everyone should be, & I'm glad that no one's offering me the job they're offering you because I'd be in a TIZZY trying to figure out what to do.

Reading your post, I don't hear the same concerns. I hear flipped-out, blissed-out enthusiasm. It *sounds* like you should go for it.

(Oh, but dh--is he working now? What kind of income would you lose? Etc. Baby's biting. Gotta go.)

Right now we both work full time (I work days and he works afternoons). We share the homeschooling and home responsibilities. Income would be less there (I make pretty good money here) but the cost of living is quite a bit less. As far as homeschooling is concerned...I am a little nervous about putting the boys in school. Part of me thinks "Well, it is a Christian school which is good and I doubt too many kids are going to mess with the principal's kids! :D" but if it didn't work out my dh could homeschool them while I work.

Oh and we do get medical and dental insurance for the whole family.

My husband grew up moving all over the world with his dad's job. When they lived in Singapore, they vacationed on the beach in Malaysia. I'll ask him when he comes home more, but I've heard his family tell lovely stories about their vacations there.

Guest janainaz

Yes, I would do it. You only live once and you could always come back, but it sounds like an incredible opportunity and adventure.

The position sounds wonderful; congratulations on your selection! My knee-jerk reaction is to say "Go for it!". The location sounds lovely, and the job interesting. I do think you need to really familiarize yourself with what living there would be like. Of course it would be nice to live in a climate you enjoy, Because you're so unhappy in Michigan, just about anything else is going to sound enticing. But I think anyone who wants to move to another country should do some serious research. I myself would want to at least make a trip there to scope it out. Have you learned more about life in Malaysia since you posted about this previously? I mentioned then that I can connect you with a good friend who has a great deal of familiarity with the Malay people, having lived there herself. Let me know if you want to speak with her.

If I were you, I'd also want to connect with others who work/have worked in similiar positions. We have a good friend who is the principal of a school for the children of missionaries in Jakarta. The job offers an array of positives, not the least of which is the opportunity to live in another culture and the significant amount of time off. But life there, and the rigors of the job, are by no means easy street.

Honestly, Heather, it sounds wonderful, but I think you need to proceed caution. I say that primarily because I know you really, really dislike where you're living now. You want to avoid the "rose-coloured glasses" syndrome though, kwim?

Again, congratulations! I'm so far removed from that time in life when I received pay for the work I do, I think I'd cry tears of joy just from the affirmation of receiving a job offer.:tongue_smilie:

I would LOVE to get more info from your friend! I have been researching like crazy for the last week or two. I have been reading some expat boards to get the good and bad. One thing I appreciate is that the school is pretty honest about the pros and cons of living there. They sent me a document about living in Malaysia and the one thing that stood out to me...don't laugh...is the bugs! Going there in advance is not an option unfortunately (I would have to report in July). This is all so exciting and scary!

We do the first thing that comes to our minds, because that is usually right! Don't over think this. If you and DH are in agreement, then hop on a plane and embrace this opportunity. If God is leading you there then He will provide the education that your children need while y'all are there.

Wow Heather! I was expecting you to say that you might be moving back to NC. But this sounds like a great opportunity. I, personally, wouldn't go. But that is because we have a lot of family here, and Patrick's dad is older and in poor health. But none of us can tell you what to do. If you and your husband agree, then go for it! But you better keep in touch!!

I have a dear friend who is from Malaysia. Her parents are Chinese, but they moved to Malaysia many years ago, and raised their children there. My friend speaks both Chinese and English fluently, but she writes in English almost exclusively. She reads a little Chinese, and can write it even less. She says that English is the language primarily used in the schools she went to.

It is cheeper to live there but when you want to visit the states for Christmas and Summer will you have the money for that kind of travel and where will you stay for weeks at a time?

I couldn't come home at christmas (it has to do with residency requirements and tax laws) only in the summer and my whole family and dh's family lives here in Michigan so we would stay with them. It would be expensive to come home so that it is a little bit of a worry.

If you look back in 10 or 15 years and didn't do it, would you have regrets? I would go, it sounds like this is a situation your family would love.

I grew up in the mid-west, hate the snow. We now live in the southern US and I truly feel like we have gained three months out of the year. So you could actually extend your year by going. :001_smile:

Just want to say -- don't worry about the family stateside. You'll visit when you can, and don't worry about when you can't.

When you have the chance of a lifetime, you have to let the strings go and live your life on your own terms for all its worth. To have a partner who's in it with you makes it even more worth doing.

I did. I've never regretted it. Not once.

How long was the last principal there? Why is she/he leaving? Can you talk with him/her? Can you talk with some of the teachers?

You said housing is included...is this a house of their choice or a stipend?

Who pays for your move? We had friends move overseas and their company paid for it. At the end of the year, the $40,000 move (they had a LOT of stuff!) was counted as income and they had to pay taxes on it.

How long would the contract be for? I think we can do anything for a year, but to commit to 2-3 years, sight unseen, would be difficult.

Are you parents and dh's parents in good health? Not that present good health is a guarantee of future good health, but getting back CONUS isn't easy or cheap.

(As adventurous as my family and I are, moving there wouldn't be our first choice. We lived on guam for 2 years and that was the longest decade of my life. Malaysia is different, but my experience has been colored by our time on that island. Now Europe, Japan, Africa...we would consider those.:001_smile:)

But as a pp said, pray, pray, pray!

Have a great trip! :auto:

Really, the only reason I would not do it, is because I have a very tightknit group of friends in my neighborhood that it would kill me (and the whole family) to leave. And I laugh as I write this because we will probably do that very thing sometime in the next few years to move overseas.

It sounds amazing. It's beautiful there. What a grand adventure!

As someone who has packed up there life in their home country and moved the family abroad, I say "Go for it!"

It has been a wonderful experience for us ( sure there have been hard days/weeks!)...and we miss our family and friends back home.

We have have been able to see parts of the world we never thought we would and have enjoyed immersing ourselves in a new ( and wonderful) culture.

Best of all, we have shown ourselves ( and the kids) that it is OK to step outside of our comfort zones.

You only have 1 life- so ENJOY!!

How long was the last principal there? Why is she/he leaving? Can you talk with him/her? Can you talk with some of the teachers?

You said housing is included...is this a house of their choice or a stipend?

Who pays for your move? We had friends move overseas and their company paid for it. At the end of the year, the $40,000 move (they had a LOT of stuff!) was counted as income and they had to pay taxes on it.

How long would the contract be for? I think we can do anything for a year, but to commit to 2-3 years, sight unseen, would be difficult.

Are you parents and dh's parents in good health? Not that present good health is a guarantee of future good health, but getting back CONUS isn't easy or cheap.

1. Last principal has been there 2 years. I have not talked to him and do not know why he is leaving. It is initially a two-year contract so it looks like his contract is up and he may be leaving because he didn't it like it or maybe they didn't like him or maybe he never intended to stay longer than two years?

2. I can use staff housing or the stipened for another place.

3. They give us a modest moving allowance but we do not plan to bring that much stuff (they provide furniture and appliances so I am looking at books, clothes, movies, toys, etc.). Oh, and we do not pay any U.S. income tax while we work there.

4. Contract is 2 years which I am actually glad for as I would be leaving a very good job here to do this and I would want a longer term position in order to do that.

5. Our parents are both in good health (my mom is only 58yo and his family lives well into their 90s). Having to get back home suddenly would be a concern and we would need to set money aside for emergencies for sure.

I'd hire you Colleen. :)

1. Last principal has been there 2 years. I have not talked to him and do not know why he is leaving. It is initially a two-year contract so it looks like his contract is up and he may be leaving because he didn't it like it or maybe they didn't like him or maybe he never intended to stay longer than two years?

2. I can use staff housing or the stipened for another place.

3. They give us a modest moving allowance but we do not plan to bring that much stuff (they provide furniture and appliances so I am looking at books, clothes, movies, toys, etc.). Oh, and we do not pay any U.S. income tax while we work there.

4. Contract is 2 years which I am actually glad for as I would be leaving a very good job here to do this and I would want a longer term position in order to do that.

5. Our parents are both in good health (my mom is only 58yo and his family lives well into their 90s). Having to get back home suddenly would be a concern and we would need to set money aside for emergencies for sure.

Well, if *I* was considering this position, I would talk to the principal. Ask him to be candid about the entire experience. There are always at least 2 sides to the story, but there's a reason he's leaving. 2 years is a long time in a bad position. Ask me how I know.:glare: I would also ask him to give me the names of at least 2 teachers I could talk with. Then ask him to ask the teachers to contact me.

I just wouldn't make this move without talking with people who are there or have been there.

After that, call the moving/storage companies!

Please consider the following:

1) Although technically the cost of living may be lower, American families often make up for this through travel, importing Western goods, buying imported and not local goods etc. Do not underestimate your families needs with regards to having items from home or like those from home. Many who head to an expat lifestyle think they can tough it out and won't have problems. That is not always the case.

2) There is a huge hidden cost in electronic items. Check into what you need with regards to everything from computers to toasters from TVs to alarm clocks. Power supplies and broadcast systems are different world wide.

3) Find out how you receive mail-can you order clothes and books from the US? This may be important if you only go home once a year.

4) Keep in mind that principals/teachers at international schools change frequently. That 2 year contract may really only be 2 years and then you would need to job hunt again. Of course it could be 20 years...be prepared.

5) Find out ahead of time if you are able to have cable or DSL internet at home. If you are-set up a service like Skype or Vonage ahead of time. They need to ship and bill to a US address to get your US number.

6) Consider keeping a stateside bank account. If you have a family member you trust you may need to give them access so they can pay some bills and you will have a US billing address as needed for so many mail order companies and services.

7) Find out if your insurance company has a policy that doesn't cover your vehicle but provides extra coverage if you are back stateside or even on vacation and rent a car. These are usually inexpensive.

8) Find an insurance company that will cover your household goods in transit and once you are there.

9) Find out early how far ahead you need to pack so that you aren't there too long without your stuff.

If it looks like a good opportunity for your family-go for it. Have a great time.

One thing I haven't seen yet (although I've just skimmed and may have missed it)--what do your kids think about it?

I'm not saying you should let them make the final decision, but I would want to know what their thoughts and feelings on it were. Do they make transitions well? How did they handle your move to MI? Are they generally accommodating of changes in their lives? Food?

Please consider the following:

1) Although technically the cost of living may be lower, American families often make up for this through travel, importing Western goods, buying imported and not local goods etc. Do not underestimate your families needs with regards to having items from home or like those from home. Many who head to an expat lifestyle think they can tough it out and won't have problems. That is not always the case.

2) There is a huge hidden cost in electronic items. Check into what you need with regards to everything from computers to toasters from TVs to alarm clocks. Power supplies and broadcast systems are different world wide.

3) Find out how you receive mail-can you order clothes and books from the US? This may be important if you only go home once a year.

4) Keep in mind that principals/teachers at international schools change frequently. That 2 year contract may really only be 2 years and then you would need to job hunt again. Of course it could be 20 years...be prepared.

5) Find out ahead of time if you are able to have cable or DSL internet at home. If you are-set up a service like Skype or Vonage ahead of time. They need to ship and bill to a US address to get your US number.

6) Consider keeping a stateside bank account. If you have a family member you trust you may need to give them access so they can pay some bills and you will have a US billing address as needed for so many mail order companies and services.

7) Find out if your insurance company has a policy that doesn't cover your vehicle but provides extra coverage if you are back stateside or even on vacation and rent a car. These are usually inexpensive.

8) Find an insurance company that will cover your household goods in transit and once you are there.

9) Find out early how far ahead you need to pack so that you aren't there too long without your stuff.

If it looks like a good opportunity for your family-go for it. Have a great time.

these are all excellent questions...some I do know the answers to and others I don't. I've got some work to do!

One thing I haven't seen yet (although I've just skimmed and may have missed it)--what do your kids think about it?

I'm not saying you should let them make the final decision, but I would want to know what their thoughts and feelings on it were. Do they make transitions well? How did they handle your move to MI? Are they generally accommodating of changes in their lives? Food?

Good point! My oldest son is all for it! He loves an adventure. My youngest probably wouldn't notice the difference! :D They are both great eaters (Their favorite meal is SUSHI!). They will probably adjust faster than I will!

It sounds like an amazing oppurtunity! You've listed only positives, so I say start packing!

Just to be safe though, you may want to sit down and list the positives and negatives and weigh those out. From what it sounds like though, the positives far out-weight the negatives.

I really think you should go for it, this kind of oppurtunity doesn't happen very often! :D

ETA: I moved a lot as a child and I ended up being like a chameleon. It was very easy for me to adjust and make new friends and blend in. I think that made me a more well rounded person. Generally speaking, I think children take moves pretty well. There are some children though that do not take change very well! But like you said, if your oldest is all for it, and your youngest really wouldn't know a difference, I don't see anything holding you back! You've got the support of your family, which is most important!

Edited by mommy2be

I (sort of) know how you feel! It's exciting and scary all at the same time. I agree with those who have said to start preparing and pray-pray-pray. If the Lord isn't leading you to Malaysia, He will close the door! If you do go, I hope you have a wonderful time.

On another note, where in NC are you from? I grew up in Kernersville and DH in High Point!

I should have added to my earlier post...

Concerning the part where I speak of some thinking they can tough out the expat lifestyle living like a local.

I should have added-yes lots can and do survive in a variety of countries living with the same resources as the locals. Some do need comforts from home-the odd box of mac-n-cheese, salsa and chips, Starbucks coffee beans, American clothes (and may I just add that "feminine products" are not necessarily the same worldwide even when they have the same name on the box). Needing these comforts from home is not a bad thing but thinking they will be available, finding they aren't and then finding you have no method for obtaining them...that can be depressing. Better to know ahead.

I should have also added that you need to know your medical situation, do you have med-evac insurance if you need to be removed from that location in an emergency and where will you be purchasing any prescription or over the counter meds you need?

I'm not meaning to scare you-just some important steps in planning such a huge lifestyle change.