Menu

I hate my refrigerator with a passion. Anyone else despise an appliance?

Ria

My fridge is a side-by-side. It's about 10 years old and runs perfectly. It's large, but honestly, with a large family, it's impossible to find anything in the stupid thing...the shelves are too narrow and much too deep. Because I can't see what's inside without digging, stuff gets lost and I have to throw it out after it goes bad. The freezer is similar. Too crowded.

I covet the LG French door fridge with the bottom freezer drawer.

That is all. Anyone else have an appliance they detest?

Ria (feeling particularly hateful towards the fridge at this moment since I'm cleaning it)

Yes, I hate my fridge and my washer and dryer (Whirlpool). My fridge too is a side by side (GE). The ice and water in the door is slow and throws ice. The ice mover is already broke. It's way too small. You can't fit a pizza in there in any way, shape or form, and can't find anything in the fridge because, yes, it's deep and narrow.

My W&D...Ack! My dryer has a lint filter on top, so it gets all over the place when you clean it. And because the door drops down instead of opening from side to side, clothes get stuck on the hinge at the top. Also, it rolls all my sheets into a ball and clunks them and they never dry. Unlike my Maytag I used to have they had something that didn't do this. I can't remember what it's called.

The washer is big but deep and very narrow. So it's hard to get clothes in and out because it's not wide (like my previous Maytag). It either beats my clothes to death or the delicate setting, instead of churning gently, is a soak only setting. The thing just stinks. My Maytag NEVER smelled musty and this one did after a year. I could also take my softer cup out and remove the top and clean it out. With the GE I have now, you can take the cup out, but can't take the lid off to clean it, so there's not much of a purpose to remove it.

We bought them all new and all but the washer needed service after the first year. The washer sqeaks like crazy. The paint on the W&D is all scratched after the first year just from putting the basket on top. My Maytag looked brand new after 3 years.

Does a vacuum cleaner count as an appliance??? I hate....hate....hate mine. It's a bagless, an inexpensive bagless, and I feel like all it does is spray dust into the air. I can't afford to replace it right now AND my husband is of the "if it ain't dead, we don't replace it" camp. I wonder if he'd notice the baseball bat dents???

I hate my oven. It doesn't keep a consistent temperature and takes forever to preheat. I have to use an oven thermometer to make sure it's close the right temperature for what I'm cooking. It's impossible to cook bread because of the large fluctuation in temperatures while it cooks. Thus, my threads about make bread in a bread machine... We've priced a new oven, and we will be saving a long, long time before I can replace the one I have. Well, at least it works.

I *hate*hate*hate my dishwasher!!!!! I would like to replace it or just wash the dishes by hand, but it's actually pretty new (2005). It just doesn't work like it should. The stuff on top hardly ever gets clean!

That's the worst part, isn't it? When they are too new to justify replacement, and yet you realize that you never should have bought it in the first place.

Sigh.

Ria

Well, I shouldn't complain since I have the fridge you covet but...

I don't like any of my appliances. Not a single one of them came with a wife-bot to work them. The washing machine does nothing to sort the dirties, the dryer doesn't hang or fold, and the dishwasher doesn't load or unload. And don't even get me started on the oven, which requires that I actually create a dish before it will cook it. ;)

I'm just kidding, but do try to get the LG French Door model. It is heavenly, as far as appliances go!

I HATE my washer and dryer. It has been patched together by my husband I don't know how many times. I have to run the spin cycle twice or the clothes come out dripping wet.

My fantasy washer and dryer is the turquoise ones (can't remember what brand) with Kelly Ripa in the commercial.

My oven! I want a flat top range oven so badly, because I am so tired of cleaning or better yet not cleaning those burners. They are such a pain, but we don't replace anything unless it is broken, so 15 years later this crazy thing still works even though we have replaced every other appliance in this house lol.

No, but I have a new appliance, thanks to you, that I absolutely love!! A RED 12 c. KitchenAid food processor!! They were on super discounted sale on Christmas Eve online, so I swiped one up. It's red!!! I love using it!

Wonderful! They are fantastic, aren't they? Enjoy!!

Ria

Yes, I hate my fridge too. Mine is a tiny 30+ year old one. It's about 5 feet tall and not very wide and is a side-by-side too. So, it is old, tiny, and rather loud...but it works and we have no money for a new one at this point.

The worst thing about it is that we had a leaky gallon of milk a few months ago and didn't know it. The milk got into the side insulation and now it smells like spoiled milk no matter how clean you get it. Opening it is not pleasant.

My dad says he has a fridge that has been in storage several years that I can have. We just have to get it transported a couple hundred miles. Knowinng my dad, I hope it really is in decent shape.

I absolutely hated with a passion the new GE gas range my hubby bought for me. So I called Lowe's and demanded that they bring back my 200 year old ancient gas range (well....not quite that old). I now so appreciate my old Magic Chef. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I also hate, hate, hate my sewing machine.

I'll join the fridge hating! We moved into a new house where they supplied all the appliances. I can't complain too badly since we didn't purchase it ourselves (and it's supposedly a great brand). But it is a side-by-side, which I just despise. If I worked and made my own money, that would be one of the first things that I would buy.

I can't complain about my washer and dryer, though I would love a top-loading washer that doesn't have the agitator.

I also hate my sewing machine. It's an ancient one handed down to me from my MIL. It gets the job done, but not without the bobbin thread breaking, snagging down in the reel, or skipping stitches. Arg!

Ria, we *just* replaced a fridge we both hated! Like yours, it wasn't old, it worked fine... And we *hated* it. Shelves too narrow and too deep, so food got lost in there (and went bad). It was loud at times, and the ice maker sometimes spit ice on the floor to melt in little puddles...

I love my new fridge! It's counter-depth, the freezer is on the bottom... It's well-designed so even though there's technically less space, it works for us so much better.

It's only about three years old but the glass door is filthy because the idiots who designed the oven put vent holes on the top of the door so that anything that spills through the holes seeps throughout the whole glass door and there's no way to get inside it to clean it out. And it's already bent on the hinges so that it doesn't close all the way. Ugh. Don't buy the Frigidaire flat top range.

I hate my oven and my stove. They are separate, the people who lived here before remodeled to put in a wall oven. The oven is too small and won't fit regular size cookie sheets, and doesn't keep the right temperature, it is always too hot. The gas stove top is very hard to keep clean and the burners don't all work at the same time - sometimes if one is on the one next to it won't turn on. The worst thing is that, though having a wall oven is nice, when they did that they eliminated all the counter space next to the stove - there are about four inches of counter space on either side of the stove with the fridge on one side and that darn wall oven on the other. Also, the counter that is there has a burn on the backsplash thing from the people who used to live here because when you put a large pot on the burner it can touch the backsplash if you aren't careful!

We've been here for ten years and I've hated it the whole time. At one point we planned on remodeling so we didn't do anything about it, but right now we are so far from having money to do anything like that I'm just grateful I still have gas to run the $%*@ things!.

The water dispenser has leaked water down the front of the fridge, causing bubbling of the paint. The wide side of the fridge makes the narrow side of the freezer practically unusable. It's only 6 years old and recently started having problems with the defrosting cycle of the freezer. This means the fridge section gets warm. It needs a new $65 part.

I also want a freezer drawer on the bottom, but it will be awhile before we can replace this one.

My oven! I want a flat top range oven so badly, because I am so tired of cleaning or better yet not cleaning those burners. They are such a pain, but we don't replace anything unless it is broken, so 15 years later this crazy thing still works even though we have replaced every other appliance in this house lol.

I hate mine for the same reason, but I hate my DW more, so I didn't mention it! Mine is 10 years old.

It's only about three years old but the glass door is filthy because the idiots who designed the oven put vent holes on the top of the door so that anything that spills through the holes seeps throughout the whole glass door and there's no way to get inside it to clean it out. And it's already bent on the hinges so that it doesn't close all the way. Ugh. Don't buy the Frigidaire flat top range.

Why don't these people ever try to clean the things they design?????? One of my top pet peeves!

I hate my washing machine. It's a front loader and I WANT to like it as I know it's more efficient and uses less water and soap. But it gets this really gross build-up that is stinky. I've tried many many things to clean it, with only moderate success. I can keep it tamed but it frustrates me that it just adds another household task. I really don't want to have to spend time cleaning the washing machine regularly. Blah.

And it's fairly new (5 years) so we won't be replacing it for awhile.

Our oven is gas and somewhat quirky but I think I've got it figured out now. So it's more like working with an enemy rather than an open hate relationship. :)

I can't wait for my Fisher-Paykel duo drawer dishwasher to die!!! It's only 5 years old. I'm going to replace it with LG or Bosch.

I also despise my Maytag Neptune washing machine. Under the warranty I've had at least four service calls. I recently let the warranty expire so I can haul it to a cliff and drop it over.

My suggestion for big families...replace one cabinet with an additional dishwasher (so you'll have 2 dishwashers) and then you almost always have clean dishes and don't have to put them away so often.;)

Edited by shiloh
the dreaded forgotten letter - it's even worse when it's in the reason for editing

I can't wait for my Fisher-Paykel duo drawer dishwasher to die!!! It's only 5 years old. I'm going to replace it with LG or Bosch.

I also despise my Maytag Neptune washing machine. Under the warranty I've had at least four service calls. I recently let the warrany expire so I can haul it to cliff and drop it over.

My suggestion for big families...replace one cabinet with an additional dishwasher (so you'll have 2 dishwashers) and then you almost always have clean dishes and don't have to put them away so often.;)

We loved our FP double dishdrawers for about two years. Then they started failing, first one problem, then another. The day we put the blasted things out by the curb for the trash pickup was a happy day for me! LOL.

Ria

My fridge is a side-by-side. It's about 10 years old and runs perfectly. It's large, but honestly, with a large family, it's impossible to find anything in the stupid thing...the shelves are too narrow and much too deep. Because I can't see what's inside without digging, stuff gets lost and I have to throw it out after it goes bad. The freezer is similar. Too crowded.

I covet the LG French door fridge with the bottom freezer drawer.

That is all. Anyone else have an appliance they detest?

Ria (feeling particularly hateful towards the fridge at this moment since I'm cleaning it)

:grouphug:, Ria. My mom has a fridge like what you describe and her sentiments towards it mirror yours. (I happen to have the LG you describe primarily because *she* counseled me from her experience with hers. :-}). Ah, well, we can say we have a dishwasher we enjoy, yes? :-P

:grouphug:, Ria. My mom has a fridge like what you describe and her sentiments towards it mirror yours. (I happen to have the LG you describe primarily because *she* counseled me from her experience with hers. :-}). Ah, well, we can say we have a dishwasher we enjoy, yes? :-P

LOL, Sharon. I do love the dishwasher! And the LG fridge is on my radar for later this year....but, knowing that, it makes each and every day with the existing fridge that much harder to bear. Tee hee!!

Ria

I hate my oven, too, but because it's too stinking small! This house has the original stove top in one part of the kitchen--impossible to clean those stupid burners--and only a wall oven to bake in, but it's not a regular width. I hate it! I had to buy all new, SMALL baking sheets to fit into it and when I try to roast a turkey my roasting pan just squeezes in and I end up burning my hands. BLAH. Trying to cook and bake in this kitchen for nine people is very depressing. Hmph. I used to love to cook. :(

I hated, hated, hated, my gas cooktop. But it was a Jenn-Air, top rated by Consumer Reports. Also impossible to clean easily. It finally broke. I could've fixed, it, but I leaped at the chance to replace it! My new one is so much better!!!

Still hate my dishwasher - also top-rated by Consumer Reports (I no longer believe anything they say!) It's finally getting old enough that I wouldn't feel too guilty about replacing it.

My fridge is okay. It's a bottom freezer, which is good. But now I covet those French-door ones! But I really can't justify it at this point, even if the freezer door is rusting. Sigh.

I despise my vacuum cleaners. Yes, plural. We seem to be a bone yard for them. We have one that we use for parts for another and the blasted receipient still blows dust into the air. The Oreck was nice for about 6 years and then even after installing a new motor wasn't the same. The shop-vac (with the lifetime guarantee that no one will honor) sparked and threw little fireballs at us. Exciting, but not helpful. I've considered wood floors, but the noise would be too much.

Can I hate nearly all of mine? These were here when we moved in. The fridge is a side by side and, like everyone said, it's so hard to get things in the back and big things don't fit. It's almond - yuck.

Stove - mine is 20 years old. Can it just die now please??? Works fine, so I can't justify a new one yet. I also really want a double oven. It's black and just OLD. Yuck.

Dishwasher - 20 years old. Works fine. It's black and almond. Yuck.

So, I guess I should be more greatful! Mine all work fine - I just hate them because they're UGLY and 20 years old! We've had enough time to save up to replace them, so the second one dies, I'm off to Lowes!!

I also despise my Maytag Neptune washing machine. Under the warranty I've had at least four service calls. I recently let the warranty expire so I can haul it to a cliff and drop it over.

I hated my Neptune too! It finally died and we got a cheap top loader that is so much better than that ever was! $650 cheaper too!

I hate my MagTag fridge. I liked it right up until the point the compressor went out and it took Sears 2 months to get the thing repaired under warranty. It was really a tough time living out an ice-chest for that long and I just feel annoyed and bitter to this day about the entire thing. It would have taken even longer to fix because one part was out of stock and wouldn't be in for weeks so I went to a local parts store and paid for the part myself. Argh!

I also hate my lovely stylish dish washer, also from Sears that hasn't been used for months because that is also broken but no longer under warranty.

My stove is really ancient but it works and I am scared to replace it because they don't make things like they use to. So I'm sticking with my 30 year old stove.

FWIW, we went with the Kenmore Elite (LG made). It matches the dishwasher. ;-)

Sharon, did you receive the check from LG and the letter asking to set up a service call? I haven't set up the call yet (though I did cash that check :D ). I was curious if you've had yours and if you've noticed any improvement. I have no complaints in how the refrigerator runs, so I don't know what to expect.

I hatehatehatehahtehate my oven!! It's a wall oven from the 70s. It's gas and avacado green. It actually bakes fairly evenly, but its just old and ugly. We have a galley kitchen and its tight. The handles stick out about four inches, the top on hits at about your eye, the broiler (which doesn't work) handle hits about the hip. Everyone of has bruised ourself on it. It's on the list to get replaced, but we are switching to electric so dh has to run a new 220 line, hence it hasn't been done yet. :glare:

Mine is the same age, and I am perpetually helping the rest of the family find things. And I had little kids stand on the lower part of it and crack it, so the bottom drawer doesn't work as well as it should.

DH has done major repairs on the furnance/AC and says that it won't last more than 2-3 more years, and that's going to have to be replaced first unless the fridge dies.

My dishwasher! It's a 30 yr old Maytag that came with the house. It actually still works quite well but it's uuuuuugly. It's that mustardy yellow that was oh so popular in the late 70's (harvest gold I think is what they called it). I am hoping we can replace it next week when we get our tax return.

I despise my vacuum cleaners. Yes, plural. We seem to be a bone yard for them. We have one that we use for parts for another and the blasted receipient still blows dust into the air. The Oreck was nice for about 6 years and then even after installing a new motor wasn't the same. The shop-vac (with the lifetime guarantee that no one will honor) sparked and threw little fireballs at us. Exciting, but not helpful. I've considered wood floors, but the noise would be too much.

I have five vacuum cleaners. :001_huh: I started with a small cheap one and then bought a better one and so on. All of the old ones still work so I still have them. I have a car vac, a stair vac (portable canister), a small bagless (downstairs - no carpet), an Oreck (I lent this one to my dd until she bought a Dyson. Now I am saving it for the next dd.) And finally a Dyson which I love. I rarely replace working items but this has been my one exception.

Are you sure there is no way to clean it? I thought the same until I really started looking at mine. A few screws and with DH's help, I had the whole door apart and was able to clean it. It wasn't easy and I hope to never have to do it again, but it was possible! I hate my flat top, also, but for other reasons!

Do TVs count? My TV is over 13 years old. Not exactly sure how old but I know I had it before I got pregnant with my 12 year old. I am of the "if it ain't broke, we ain't replacing it" school and it still works but it is just a matter of time before someone throws a remote through it. It only has one input/output hook up and no cable hook up. So we have to run it through an old VCR that only works as a connection between the TV and the cable box and then a further connection to a working DVD player. We did have a DVD/VDR player but it died so right now we have an old DVD player that my brother gave me. We can't run all of them at the same time so we have to move plugs to either watch a DVD or cable. It's complicated and I don't even know how to work it. I have to call a child to fix it for me when I want to watch something. The only people that do know how to operate it are the 17 year old (who is not here right now), my dh (who is only here two days a week) and the nine year old. Luckily, we don't watch tv much but my hubby is just looking for a reason to buy a new big screen with home theater. :glare:

We put in all new app. w/ new house. So all good , except those stupid Kenmore Elite Washer/Dryer. That was a nightmare.

Fridge is built in and freezer is not big enough, but I like that it has a built in temp. So I always know my food is cold. And an alarm, so no left open doors.

Now if Dish counts as an appliance, blech.