Menu

I hate my refrigerator with a passion. Anyone else despise an appliance?

Ria

My fridge is a side-by-side. It's about 10 years old and runs perfectly. It's large, but honestly, with a large family, it's impossible to find anything in the stupid thing...the shelves are too narrow and much too deep. Because I can't see what's inside without digging, stuff gets lost and I have to throw it out after it goes bad. The freezer is similar. Too crowded.

I covet the LG French door fridge with the bottom freezer drawer.

That is all. Anyone else have an appliance they detest?

Ria (feeling particularly hateful towards the fridge at this moment since I'm cleaning it)

Same deal here, adding the water dispenser would periodically freeze up, then pee on the floor when it thawed.

We bought the LG French door fridge. It rocks. (My only "complaint" is that as soon as we bought ours, they came out with the one that has a larger water dispenser, which would be nice for filling bottles.)

I can honestly say, after about 8 years of replacing detestable, ancient (think 1960s range, "Product of General Motors") appliances, I really don't dislike a single one we have now.

I would like the days of my life (and rivers of water) I gave to rinsing dishes almost clean before putting them in the dishwasher, before I switched detergents and don't have to do that anymore, though.

Well, i hate my Maytag Gemini Range.... the stovetop part. IT's a lemon - the burner needs to be replaced again. 4th time. Heck, this is even a whole new TOP and it still is mucked up.

I dread the day my fridge dies - they don't make them this big anymore. It's a GE Side by side that is the size of a 30cuft on the inside, and a 27 on the outside. It's HUGE and I can fit frozen pizzas in the freezer side, and a Costco cake in the fridge. I look at new side by sides and cringe....

I could NEVER handle the freezer on the bottom kind of top/bottom. My MIL and SIL both have had one since they first came out, i hate digging for stuff in it. I have a normal top/bottom in my laundry room that came with my house and i hate using the freezer with it too.....

I want the one that is 2 units, one is a fridge, one is a freezer. I have room in this house for it... .but i'll never have the money and I don't know if i get to keep my house.

Do TVs count? My TV is over 13 years old. Not exactly sure how old but I know I had it before I got pregnant with my 12 year old. I am of the "if it ain't broke, we ain't replacing it" school and it still works but it is just a matter of time before someone throws a remote through it. It only has one input/output hook up and no cable hook up. So we have to run it through an old VCR that only works as a connection between the TV and the cable box and then a further connection to a working DVD player. We did have a DVD/VDR player but it died so right now we have an old DVD player that my brother gave me. We can't run all of them at the same time so we have to move plugs to either watch a DVD or cable. It's complicated and I don't even know how to work it. I have to call a child to fix it for me when I want to watch something. The only people that do know how to operate it are the 17 year old (who is not here right now), my dh (who is only here two days a week) and the nine year old. Luckily, we don't watch tv much but my hubby is just looking for a reason to buy a new big screen with home theater. :glare:

You need an RF Modulator. They sell a multi-port one at Radio Shack even!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

The dishwasher. It's only a year or so old, but it does not clean tlhe dishes well at all. At times I'll open it and find that 50% of the dishes still have visible food on them, even after I've prerinsed. Even some of the water glasses, that were clean looking when I put them in, have food on them! :confused: There is routinely water sitting on the tops of the glasses, too. It's just a cheapo, apartment-provided dishwasher, so there's nothing that can be done about it.

My less than two year old Kenmore dishwasher....The smart board doesn't tell the water intake valve to stop sending in more water...ie...flood city.

Apparently, we need an electrician/plumber to fix it...

I'm going to have to replace it according to my dh, but my hand-washing protest continues at present.:nopity:

Ria, I just wanted to point out that the French door fridges have their drawbacks. I have had one for 6 months. I am pretty happy with it. BUT:

1. It doesn't have thru-the-door ice & water. I got a good deal on the one I got...to get the water/ice dispenser would have been almost $1000 more! So we decided to forgo it. But I sure miss the crushed ice. :(

2. My freezer spills ice every time I open it. At least one or two cubes fall out. The bin gets full *just* to overflowing from the automatic ice-maker. So we need to stoop down & pick up a piece of ice every darn time we open the drawer.

3. The fridge doors don't close unless you intentionally close them, and I mean PUSH them closed. 3 members of my family have this mastered. The 4th is still learning. :)

Look at the energy savings for a new fridge, you might be surprised and be able to justify moving up your purchase a little early! Most new appliances are much more energy efficient, and fridges are energy hogs.

We move all the time, so we don't get to pick our appliances, usually the dishwashers are horrible, you have to pre-rinse everything. The one house we rented with a good dishwasher, it took us almost the whole year there to un-train ourselves out of rinsing the dishes (although neither of us enjoy it!) after years of pre-rinsing.

We also like electric stoves and don't like gas, so we generally end up with gas (Murphy's law.) Our friends that like gas end up with electric.

The shelf arrangement on a fridge can really make a difference in its usefulness.

Look at the energy savings for a new fridge, you might be surprised and be able to justify moving up your purchase a little early! Most new appliances are much more energy efficient, and fridges are energy hogs.

Just a little tidbit on this.....often "Energy Star" ratings are based on models without ice/water in the door. Make sure if you are buying an ES appliance that the rating actually applies to the specific model your buying.