Menu

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder about my going back and forth and what this means. If I test "I," I always test "J," and if I test "E," I always test "P." Any thoughts?

under stress, people frequently revert to opposite personality type. it is a "what i usually do isn't working because i'm so stressed, so let's do it differently" kind of thing. the J/P can be the first to change. it would make sense when what you do by calling/profession requires lots of personal interaction that you may test out that way occasionally. but also the I/E difference is how you regain your energy and centre, not whether or not you like being with people. the one question "when you're tired, would you rather stay home and read a book or go to a party?".... is answered pretty consistently. when you do the test, you should be asked to answer from your "at home" self or your "at work" self. sometimes we exhibit different parts when we are in different environments. people who are happiest have work environments that match who they are at home, too :001_smile:

ps. the short test varies in results a lot more than the long test, as there are only a few questions for each indicator on the short test.

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com
additional info

My 'j' and 'p' are at war with one another. I'm INFJ/P...different online tests disagree with my ending. I can't even decipher my own ending. I'm instinctually P, but unhappy when I follow those instincts. I organize the heck out of everything and am most content when following those plans...but then the 'p' sneaks in and ruins it all.

In my teen/college years, I tested mostly ENFP, but occasionally INFJ. I think the I/J was more revealing of my coping mechanisms than my true personality, though. My Dh is very strongly an INTJ.

I haven't been tested in years. Maybe I should dig Please Understand Me off the shelf and give it a look.

My 'j' and 'p' are at war with one another. I'm INFJ/P...different online tests disagree with my ending. I can't even decipher my own ending. I'm instinctually P, but unhappy when I follow those instincts. I organize the heck out of everything and am most content when following those plans...but then the 'p' sneaks in and ruins it all.

sometimes, if we're raised by an opposite personality type, we come to believe their way is the "right" way, our natural way becomes subverted and doesn't get the practice to mature fully, with, hmmm, interesting, results. so particularly with "P", being raised by "J"s, in a culture that values "J" norms, can be a hard thing.

must go "do the next thing". can you tell me why you think you are instinctively a "P"? and how do make your best decisions?

ann

Think I figured it out after reading a bit more. My "coping" self is an INFJ, and yet at my "core" I'm an ENFP. http://rakkav.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/type-trek-enfp-or-infj/ helped. Would love your thoughts. Anyone else an ENFP coping with the demands of life as an INFJ? For me, it's the number of children that we have as well as church planting that forced me into chore charts, organizational strategies, keeping a calendar, etc. I LOVE start-up and strategizing, but am not so good a follow-up or sticking to a plan. I need variety and something to motivate me. One aspect of the ENFP that stings a bit is the lack of relational follow-through. I have found this to be true and it makes me sad. I truly love my friends, but unless a friend pursues me or is in my life , I'm not that great at maintaining relationship. I have dear friends that I haven't talked to in YEARS all over the country. Thoughts?

Oh yes, not good at following through here either. I do find change exciting too.

I have been tested many times and am always INFJ. I didn't realize there were so many on this board. I guess we are all drawn to homeschooling.

...it has to do with this board and the friendship format it provides, rather than homeschooling. If I were a betting woman. ;)

While I love getting together with "real life" friends, and many folks would be surprised to know I'm introverted (because of being a ham of sorts at parties and such), I really like this board for the simple reason that...I can pick and choose when to interact. (Sad, but true, lol.) I can write out a response, and edit (and edit again), rather than navigate an actual time conversation (not that I don't like doing that, too...but this sort of interaction is much, MUCH easier for me).

Anyone else feel that way?

...it has to do with this board and the friendship format it provides, rather than homeschooling. If I were a betting woman. ;)

While I love getting together with "real life" friends, and many folks would be surprised to know I'm introverted (because of being a ham of sorts at parties and such), I really like this board for the simple reason that...I can pick and choose when to interact. (Sad, but true, lol.) I can write out a response, and edit (and edit again), rather than navigate an actual time conversation (not that I don't like doing that, too...but this sort of interaction is much, MUCH easier for me).

Anyone else feel that way?

:iagree:

Another INFJ here and I very much relate to your description. ;) I'm by no means a shy, quiet person- LOL, but I don't draw energy or recharge by being around others.

This link http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/infj.htm was helpful for me way back when.... ;)

I'm an INFJ and have been since the first time I was first given the test over 20 yrs ago. Back then, I tested very strongly into each one of those categories. Now, I come out nearly even on every category, however the descriptions all still fit. It is good to know I have achieved some balance over the years, but I don't think I will ever stop being an INFJ.

I really enjoyed the parenting description. I hadn't seen that before and it, as all INFJ descriptions, fit me very well.

:iagree:

Another INFJ here and I very much relate to your description. ;) I'm by no means a shy, quiet person- LOL, but I don't draw energy or recharge by being around others.

...so much agreeing going on, here, LOL!! That's a big deal, on the WTM board! :D

can you tell me why you think you are instinctively a "P"? and how do make your best decisions?

ann

Honestly, I think I'm just lazy. My follow-through stinks. I create charts and organization methods for friends that work great. They work great for me too....when I use them. I feel satisfied, content, at peace, more creative and inspired when my home is in order and my appts. are clearly marked on the calendar. So WHY DON'T I DO IT?!?!? I truly feel like I'm fighting that nature constantly. When the house is out of order (or any part of my life) I hide in my corner and research something tidy. I create new notebooking pages or organize a unit study or start a knitting project. My tiny little corner brings me peace of mind when my surroundings are too chaotic for me to handle.

Wow - typing this out has me feeling awfully convicted. Why is this an area that I have failed to take to God's lap? Coping? What kind of strategy is that? How about fixing it with the help of THE Fixer of all things? Hmmmmm.....I think I've had enough coffee to tackle following this thought through today. :D

I guess I have to leave yall!

44% Introverted

50% Intuitive

12% Thinking

22% Judging

I noticed that the first two are called 'moderately expressed' and the last two are called 'slightly expressed', so I am guessing that more than anything I am sort of a happy medium.

Anyway, it's official--as an INTJ I am a MASTERMIND!

...this type is called "The Mystic". :D

I understand why (spiritually/future minded, etc.)...but does anyone else get an image of a dark cloak and walking staff, lol?

Yes...lots of purple, black and quarter moons ;)

I go back and forth between INFJ and ISFJ...when I read the description of INFJ, it totally fits! I am also a huge protector. IT was amazing reading the details...all the way down to my messy desk..my husband calls it..The Pit!

I'm an INFJ and found out in a completely humiliating way. A number of years ago I worked for an after-school program on our base. One day they gathered all of the daycare workes from every center on base (there were a lot of us) and held a conference. Part of the conference was to listen to this guest speaker they had flown in who then administered the Meyers Briggs test. I remember that test took forever. After lunch we all came back to the conference room and got our results then the speaker described what each meant. After each description she had those who fell under that category raise their hands. I sat there with my results in front of me--INFJ--waiting for her to tell those of us with that result to raise our hands. She called INFJ last. I was the only person in the entire conference room to raise my hand. She then launched into how INFJs are rare and then proceeded to describe an INFJ. Every person in that room was staring at me and I felt like she was letting them all in on my inner-most feelings. It was sooooo humiliating. I'll never forget that. I also remember how when I raised my hand she looked over at my boss and did this little nod and kind of pointed at me. I was like "what the heck does that mean?" All I know is that I hated being singled out and wished I had called in sick that day. :tongue_smilie:

I have consistently tested out as an INFJ in "unofficial" online tests and having read some about the MB personalities, I am certain that it is the correct choice.

In my younger years I was much more an extrovert, but it changed as the years go by. I do love being around people, but I find myself needing more and more alone time. By the time I'm 80 I expect I'll nearly be a hermit!

Blessings,

Lucinda

honestly, i think i'm just lazy. My follow-through stinks. I create charts and organization methods for friends that work great. They work great for me too....when i use them. I feel satisfied, content, at peace, more creative and inspired when my home is in order and my appts. Are clearly marked on the calendar. So why don't i do it?!?!? I truly feel like i'm fighting that nature constantly. When the house is out of order (or any part of my life) i hide in my corner and research something tidy. I create new notebooking pages or organize a unit study or start a knitting project. My tiny little corner brings me peace of mind when my surroundings are too chaotic for me to handle.

this is so me!!!!

Honestly, I think I'm just lazy. My follow-through stinks. I create charts and organization methods for friends that work great. They work great for me too....when I use them. I feel satisfied, content, at peace, more creative and inspired when my home is in order and my appts. are clearly marked on the calendar. So WHY DON'T I DO IT?!?!? I truly feel like I'm fighting that nature constantly. When the house is out of order (or any part of my life) I hide in my corner and research something tidy. I create new notebooking pages or organize a unit study or start a knitting project. My tiny little corner brings me peace of mind when my surroundings are too chaotic for me to handle.

Wow - typing this out has me feeling awfully convicted. Why is this an area that I have failed to take to God's lap? Coping? What kind of strategy is that? How about fixing it with the help of THE Fixer of all things? Hmmmmm.....I think I've had enough coffee to tackle following this thought through today. :D

Thank you for posting this. You have described my reality to a T--I'm just so glad I'm not alone in this! :cheers2:

This is where I have to put in my plug for my side business...as a Certified Myers-Briggs (MBTI) Practitioner, I was trained in the proper way to determine one's personality type. First of all, it was expressly forbidden to refer to the MBTI as a "test" -- I have to call it an "instrument" but I usually end up saying "assessment" or "questionnaire."

The most accurate way to determine your true type is to first self-select your type (by reading through the descriptions of each preference and then the whole types themselves) and then compare it with the results of the MBTI (in other words, take the MBTI first, then self-select, then find out your results). If they match, that's called your Best Fit Type. If they don't, your practitioner (that's me) is supposed to guide you through exercises to help you arrive at your Best Fit Type.

...So...for accurate results, the real MBTI should be administered (not an online knock-off) and it should be done with the aid of a practitioner, so that the crucial self-select step is not skipped. So often I hear that people "take the test and handed their type." YIKES! :willy_nilly:

My rates are cheaper than the CAPT consultations ($150 a pop--I charge half that, and only $50 for friends), so if anyone is really interested in this, message me. There is also a version for children (the MMTIC) in grades 2-12 which I am hoping to start administering soon...

Oh, this is me tooooo! Its as though I've found soul sisters here! Its somewhat humiliating to admit these things, but since this is the INFJ Cafe I feel strangely "safe" being so transparent.

Do any of you here happen to be divergent thinkers? I know I am...constantly multitasking, going from pile to pile, sorting, sorting, piling for later, piling again....things do get checked off the list, but the list is never finished. Then I get into planning, writing, drawing or anything creative and and get zoned in. I can accomplish a lot, but likewise I can sit in that little corner for a long time planning on how I can become more organized. I have wondered often if something is wrong with me, but upon reading a book recently titled, The Creative Call, I found that many creative people are this way. It really made me feel better -- actually gave me hope!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Oh, this is me tooooo! Its as though I've found soul sisters here! Its somewhat humiliating to admit these things, but since this is the INFJ Cafe I feel strangely "safe" being so transparent.

Do any of you here happen to be divergent thinkers? I know I am...constantly multitasking, going from pile to pile, sorting, sorting, piling for later, piling again....things do get checked off the list, but the list is never finished. Then I get into planning, writing, drawing or anything creative and and get zoned in. I can accomplish a lot, but likewise I can sit in that little corner for a long time planning on how I can become more organized. I have wondered often if something is wrong with me, but upon reading a book recently titled, The Creative Call, I found that many creative people are this way. It really made me feel better -- actually gave me hope!

Blessings,

Lucinda

That's me to a T [big sigh]. We're supposed to start back to school next week and I'm up to my ears in piles occupying our teaching/learning space....piles I said I'd have sorted and put away long before summer's end..so typical. I work in productive, frenzied yet methodical bursts, and then like a balloon, I deflate and zone (you chose the perfect word) into my inner world, often online.

I have been trying to catch up on my life ever since getting married and starting to have kids 8 years ago. When I think of the snowball effect, I don't think of debt, I think of all the projects and files that need to be completed, but continue to compound (unprinted digital photos since the birth of my second child 4.5 years ago, 8 boxes of unfiled papers--one for each year--that are mostly trash, the kids' artwork from the last 2-3 years, recipes and so many other clippings that need to be bindered, unfinished writing/art projects, and the list goes on...)

I'll have to check out that book you recommended.

Is anyone else incredibly slow and focused, especially when doing hands-on task? The kids aren't even allowed to talk with me when I'm cooking dinner. The slightest distraction and I'm prone to error and getting totally stressed out.

INTJ here...a "Mastermind." Hmmmmmm. I have to wrap my head around that one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE science, but always floundered in math. I never understood if that was because of the way I was taught, or if my mind truly didn't grasp it. As an adult, the concepts aren't as hard for me to grasp, and I'm enjoying teaching Miquon to my kindergartener (laugh it up -- kindergarten math and all!).

Interesting test and surprising results, but I can see some of the logic behind the results I received, especially as an adult.

• 9 months later...

Bumping up this cafe and pulling up a chair......

I'm INFJ (borderline on the J/P) :001_smile:

What Jenn in MO described is also me to a T! So this way of being is ingrained in our personalities, huh? I'm not sure whether to feel relieved that it's not just me or to cry because it's likely I will be this way for the rest of my life. :001_huh:

I'm an INFJ and found out in a completely humiliating way. A number of years ago I worked for an after-school program on our base. One day they gathered all of the daycare workes from every center on base (there were a lot of us) and held a conference. Part of the conference was to listen to this guest speaker they had flown in who then administered the Meyers Briggs test. I remember that test took forever. After lunch we all came back to the conference room and got our results then the speaker described what each meant. After each description she had those who fell under that category raise their hands. I sat there with my results in front of me--INFJ--waiting for her to tell those of us with that result to raise our hands. She called INFJ last. I was the only person in the entire conference room to raise my hand. She then launched into how INFJs are rare and then proceeded to describe an INFJ. Every person in that room was staring at me and I felt like she was letting them all in on my inner-most feelings. It was sooooo humiliating. I'll never forget that. I also remember how when I raised my hand she looked over at my boss and did this little nod and kind of pointed at me. I was like "what the heck does that mean?" All I know is that I hated being singled out and wished I had called in sick that day. :tongue_smilie:

INTJ here...a "Mastermind." Hmmmmmm. I have to wrap my head around that one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE science, but always floundered in math. I never understood if that was because of the way I was taught, or if my mind truly didn't grasp it. As an adult, the concepts aren't as hard for me to grasp, and I'm enjoying teaching Miquon to my kindergartener (laugh it up -- kindergarten math and all!).

Interesting test and surprising results, but I can see some of the logic behind the results I received, especially as an adult.

Sorry to burst in on the party, I'm an ENTJ, there are actually *also* a large number of female NTJs here, they are rare in the general population.

Amelia, it's strange to read your description of what happened, because an ENTJ, like me, would have been like "that's right, TAKE THAT, other people!" :grouphug:

Another INFJ here.

I also did not know that this type was so rare...

AND...I also LOVE stuff like this! :D So, it is funny to me that this type is most interested in tests like this...I always feel so weird that I get excited about forms/tests/etc.

I came up consistently ENFJ. It claims that type is only something like 3% of the population. I know they called it the teacher type and I really resonated with the descriptions.

That was fascinating. Thank you.

I just got my husband to take it and he came up as ENTP. His was amazing. Reading his description was as if someone knew him all his life and wrote it only about him! It was nearly freaky.

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

Hi all you INFJ (/P) people!

My husband is an INFJ (as are many of my close friends) so I think I understand a lot about the type.

But I'm interjecting because my son is very clearly an INFP (strong on all areas). I'm wondering if any of you can give me hints on raising and educating him well?

He's so very sensitive (emotionally/relationally) and he spends all his time in his imagination. My hubby is sort of what I call "cerebral" or thoughts focused often too. But my son...I've never seen anything like it and it's challenging to teach!

I'm an ENFJ. No wonder I always felt I was born to homeschool! And one of the links above was so helpful - my dh is always complaining that my boundaries aren't good enough. He's a very strong ISTJ. He just does what he needs.:001_smile:

I just came up with INFJ!!! I vaguely remember ENFJ as my type in college when I was studying to be a counselor! I did not realize we're so rare... I must say that my I is slightly represented in the online test I just took, but enough to knock out the E. I have definitely found myself to become more introverted as I've gotten older; however, I think it's always been there because as a child I was very quiet. It wasn't until high school and college that I became extroverted. I think I'm slowly, but surely, reverting back to my true self.

I love things like this... so fascinating!

http://www.parenting.com/article/Mom/Work--Family/your-mothering-style/1

here's an article that relates your type to your mothering style. I find it to be accurate!

This is depressing. I'm INTJ, & it basically says I make an almost adequate mom, but I should really consider doing something else. :ohmy:

But it's ok. I've figured that out by now. :glare:

This is depressing. I'm INTJ, & it basically says I make an almost adequate mom, but I should really consider doing something else. :ohmy:

But it's ok. I've figured that out by now. :glare:

It doesn't say that at all, Aubrey!

This mom is introspective, defining her own success from within, and is generally confident in her decisions. She's unlikely to be persuaded by her kids' saying "But all the other moms are doing it." She's competent in providing for her kids' basic needs, but she's likely more focused on building their confidence. She puts great importance on independent thinking and self-sufficiency. This mom works hard and takes life seriously; she lives for those moments when she can impart knowledge and offer her kids new perspectives on life.

Stay-sane tip: It's essential for you to have a project to call your own. If you don't have a job, try volunteering to meet your need for mental stimulation and adult conversation.

You provide for their needs, build their confidence, and teach them to think independently.

It doesn't say that at all, Aubrey!

You provide for their needs, build their confidence, and teach them to think independently.

This mom is introspective has a hard time being around other people, incl kids, defining her own success from within doesn't care about other people's standards, and is generally confident in her decisions no kidding. She's unlikely to be persuaded by anything her kids' saying "But all the other moms are doing it." She's competent that's all. just "competent" (it's true) in providing for her kids' basic needs, but she's likely more focused on something else intangible building their confidence I doubt that. She puts great importance on independent thinking and self-sufficiency so she can quit bothering to even be competent at the basic needs. This mom works hard and takes life seriously this says nothing about her parenting, only her work ethic, & it's not a kid-friendly one; she lives for those moments because she can't endure sustained time w/ people even if they're her kids when she can impart knowledge and offer her kids new perspectives on life. So they might understand/forgive her.

Stay-sane tip: It's essential for you to have a project to call your own. If you don't have a job, try volunteering to meet your need for mental stimulation and adult conversation. Cause stay-at-home-mothering aint gonna cut it.

I read all the sweet mushy mom descriptions first. Even the cool mom descriptions. It's ok. I know who I am. I'm glad to be a mom, & I hope I'll be the one my kids need, but I'm far from a role model for what the ideal mother ought to be.

Elsewhere, it does say I'm good at other things. "Mastermind" might be a decent consolation prize. ;)

I read all the sweet mushy mom descriptions first. Even the cool mom descriptions. It's ok. I know who I am. I'm glad to be a mom, & I hope I'll be the one my kids need, but I'm far from a role model for what the ideal mother ought to be.

Elsewhere, it does say I'm good at other things. "Mastermind" might be a decent consolation prize. ;)

The descriptions in this article are mediocre at best. I'm one step away from calling them CRAP. Check the author citation (no extra letters after their names); these people are writing for a parenting magazine and latched onto a good story spin. How your type plays out in your house is not just dependent on your personality, it is the interplay of types that makes every dynamic unique. Maybe you have children who don't need soft and squishy.

The other sites are considerably more accurate.

Edited by bookfiend