Menu

s/o: Really? You don't feed your dc baby cereal?`

I fed cereal and veggies. Why aren't we feeding cereal? I should go find the original thread.

ETA: Oh, I see.

Dd's first food was mashed baby food in a jar peas. That was at about 4 months. My mom insisted, and we were at her house. After that it was the baby food cereal for breakfast, baby food (organic) from jars for lunch and dinner. Not too soon after, the boxed instant cereal fell by the wayside. I don't think I bought more than one box of it. In exchange dd got cherrios or grits or some kind of regular breakfast food.

Have you tried real rice or oatmeal processed fine in the food processor?

Edited by Parrothead

we never fed cereal, just table food, starting simply with one food at a time: individual veggies, sweet potatoes, fruits, then mixtures, and eventually meats and eggs. I pureed them for ds or mashed for dd, who liked more texture, and froze the foods in ice cube trays for individual portions. LLL has great info on first foods.

hth

Ours survived being fed the mushier parts of our meals along with some finger foods, but I was still bfing. At that agehey didn't eat very much, but they really really really wanted what they got!

And we never did feed them much baby food except if we were doing something complicated like traveling I'd bring some along for them.

At six months, if he's hungry for something other than breastmilk, I usually do mashed banana, sweet potatos, pureed carrots, pureed peas.

I dont' do babyfood unless I need to, like one time I was on my way to a mexican restaurant with my 7 month old. I don't start giving them food off my plate til around 9 months, so I stopped and bought some pureed bananas in case he got hungry.

Other than that, anything that is easy for him to eat and not known for causing allergies is fair game.

Oh, and here is a useful link-

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html

Mine's not quite 6mos yet, but he's hungry. Wwyd?

Nurse him...If you aren't nursing, you might have to give him some food (puree veggies your family is eating) after 6 months. Hopefully you're nursing though. He can get enough and the best food from YOU. Sometime between 8 and 12 months, he'll start reaching for YOUR food. Then you can let him have a little.

Here is another linke from Kellymom...Why Delay Solids: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

Ok, I need a primer on what to do instead.

Food:)

i'd start with soft fruits and soft soft well cooked tiny tiny bits of meat - dark meat has iron and zinc in significant quantities so that's where I'd head. Egg yolk is another good one.

so i'd be doing avocado, banana, dark meat (super well cooked/mushed), and egg yolk cooked. then other things as they come up but I don't do too much carby stuff (potato/grain) too early b/c otherwise that's often all they *want*.

:)

K

The thing about the cereals is that they're a highly processed food. I always had doubts about this kind of stuff but now with all the weird contaminations of all sorts of products with odd ingredients, I really recommend sticking to food you actually recognize.

If you want to start with a grain, you can cook regular rice to a mushy consistency. Same with regual old fashioned oatmeal. Either spoon feed. or feed off your own finger or let baby smoosh hands into it & taste off their own fingers. Eating at this stage is as much about hand/eye coordination, developing motor skills in the hand and fingers, developing oral motor skills, and waking up some taste buds as it is about nutrition.

Here is some more info:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

My own personal pref is to keep fruits lower down on the scale because of the sweetness - start with grains, meats, veg.

- retired LLL Leader :001_smile:

Breast milk or formula is what hungry babies should be fed, imo.

Other than that, "people food" is an experience, not a source of nutrition.

And bananas are quite the experience for a baby, lol!

I just fed Romy most of what we were eating all mushed up. Lots of avocado - that's her favorite. Sweet potato, peas, squash, etc. We waited till 6 or 7 months for it and she did great.

Romy also loved (still does) bananas, which are easy to mash up into a smooth consistency if you microwave them for 15 seconds or so. However, watch out, because the bananas are binding and can make for a constipated baby.

Right now my little guy gets whatever veggies and fruits we eat, but mashed up. I will start meat somewhere between 6 and 9 months. I am also still nursing him. No formula or bottles. No milk or eggs due to allergies. I will start nut butters after one year.

I started him on cereal after Christmas because he started grabbing food from dh. (he loves V8 juice). We have since stopped the cereal b/c he becomes very constipated due to the added iron. I will probably at some point grind up some oatmeal or rice in my wheat grinder and give that to him as a cereal. The added iron just really does not agree with him.

Mine is 9 mos and he's still exclusively breastfed. And he is one of my fattest kids; it cracks me up how chunky he is. If you're nursing and just not making enough milk, try eating oatmeal; that really boosts supply, or take fenugreek (which I always tried to avoid b/c I hate the smell of maple syrup). When I do start him on food, it will be mushy stuff like bananas and avocados, cooked peas and carrots.

I fed my first ds cereal at 5 months at the insistance of my mother. He hated it. It would make him gag. So I gave him baby food mixed with whole plain yogurt. He love all the flavors of baby food. Then for my second ds I didn't even bother with baby cereal. I found Super Baby Food http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-Ruth-Yaron/dp/0965260313

It was very easy to make my own baby cereal and food. Then at about one year old I transitioned them to steel cut oats or oatmeal and they both love having oatmeal every morning even till now.

Mine is 9 mos and he's still exclusively breastfed. And he is one of my fattest kids; it cracks me up how chunky he is. If you're nursing and just not making enough milk, try eating oatmeal; that really boosts supply, or take fenugreek (which I always tried to avoid b/c I hate the smell of maple syrup). When I do start him on food, it will be mushy stuff like bananas and avocados, cooked peas and carrots.

Until the 4 bites of baby barley last night, he was exclusively b'fed. For the last mo or so, he's just *seemed* like he wasn't getting enough any more. I've wondered if his calorie needs are beyond my production since he's so big.

But you know, just sort-of wondered. Figured he was old enough it wouldn't hurt to give him some cereal & see if he was happier.

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to food--no sugar (even in fruit) the first yr. No salt on purpose. Not much meat. (I don't really know why. I guess because we've always done jarred baby food & dh thinks a jar of meat is gross. He figures it's about the equivalent of a hot dog--you know, random leftover parts.)

So I'm overwhelmed w/ the advice here. I don't know where my happy medium is, kwim? When I get overwhelmed w/ info, I tend to stick my head in the sand so it will all go away. Then I just do what I've always done.

Right now I'm torn. I don't know how to make my own baby food, grind oatmeal, etc. It's probably not too hard, but I was just feeling good about fixing breakfast this morning for the big kids *at all.* I haven't quite metamorphosed into *that* mom yet. Kwim? I'm on my way, but grinding oats for a baby (separate from the oatmeal I made for everybody else, right?) seems waaaaaaaaayyyy further down the path than where I am now.

And jumping to there might cause injury, & I'd go back to opening a can of veggies & saying, "Hey kids! It's veggie platter night!" 'Cause if I give mine 3 different kinds of canned veggies at room temp, they think they're in HEAVEN. And frankly, that's the kind of cooking I like to do. ;) (Actually...what does that say about my cooking???? :001_huh: :lol:)

Interesting. That's the same reason we don't do fruit before a yr.

that's why we started the fruits well after all the veggies were a normal part of the diet.

BTW, this was just a quirk, but my firstborn, who was the pickiest baby, did not like to touch food, liked solid foods pureed, and went back totally on bfing at twelve to fourteen months. i thought it was going to drive me nuts, and he only finally began eating solids agin when he was trying to imitate other children he was around. Go figure!

Yeah I don't grind my own wheat or oats, either. I don't see that happening for a loooong time :D I just saw the baby weight....wowsers! That's a good sized baby...that must've been a pain to birth :001_huh: I kwym about them just seeming to need more....with my last 2 I got preggo and dried up when they were each 6 mos old; I hated that. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a 5, 6 mo food if they need it. I personally wouldn't do baby cereal or formula b/c I don't think there's anything redeeming in it. I'll do like half and half real food and canned baby food....I found that the save-a-lot canned baby food doesn't have any extra junk added to it, so that's what I used. Now that I think about it, I have used it a couple of times with the baby when we've had a sitter, so I suppose it's not completely exclusive bf anymore :tongue_smilie: I think it is probably easy to do my own cooked peas and carrots, but I usually don't....that's just one more chore on my already too long list :001_huh:

I did the baby cereal for a while with my oldest because she had reflux and if I didn't thicken things, she was constantly throwing every thing back up. I moved her to cream of wheat and cream of rice cereal instead of the baby cereal and she really liked it. As far as jarred foods, I used the Earth's best organic baby food because it actually smelled and tasted like the real food. She really loved the peas which is mixed with brown rice. Both of my children had no teeth until they were 18 months old so I had to get creative but as soon as they were able they ate table food, teeth or not.

I started my firstborn on cereal at six weeks of age by putting into his baby bottle with formula.

Yeah. Really. Roll your eyes at me. I deserve it. But my mom and my mother-in-law insisted it was the right thing to do. I was a putz.

Everyone else started solids after six months and we always started with a banana. Except for my youngest child. He started with cheesy broccoli soup at about 5 months. I was holding him and eating soup. I was holding him up and we were sort of cheek to cheek. Next thing you know this little hand reaches out and and grabs the end of the spoon just as I am about to take a bit. Then the soup covered fist is thrust into an eager little mouth. Then the bouncing and cooing begins as he reaches out to try to steal my spoon. And that is how that one started solids!!

Your child may be big, but that does not mean you are not producing enough milk for him. It just means he's big. I had a kid who was born 10 lbs even, and by 6 months he was 25 lbs. He just ate whatever he wanted that I felt he could eat. It doesn't need to be complicated. If he's screaming for your food, smash up whatever is on your plate and feed it to him. I just sit the baby on my lap while I eat and feed him with my finger at that age. If what we are having for dinner is spicy or not smooshable, then I go get a banana, mash it with a fork and feed him that.

But, ONLY after a good nursing session. Breastmilk has more calories ounce for ounce than most solid foods, so don't be fooled into thinking he requires solid foods.

6 months is time for a growth spurt. Also, babies this age are learning new things, teething, stranger anxiety, sitting up, etc....it's not surprising many 6 month olds are super clingy and want to nurse nonstop. It's okay if he does that and it does not mean he's not getting enough. It just means hes growing or needs more snuggle time with mama.

I started my firstborn on cereal at six weeks of age by putting into his baby bottle with formula.

Yeah. Really. Roll your eyes at me. I deserve it. But my mom and my mother-in-law insisted it was the right thing to do. I was a putz.

Everyone else started solids after six months and we always started with a banana. Except for my youngest child. He started with cheesy broccoli soup at about 5 months. I was holding him and eating soup. I was holding him up and we were sort of cheek to cheek. Next thing you know this little hand reaches out and and grabs the end of the spoon just as I am about to take a bit. Then the soup covered fist is thrust into an eager little mouth. Then the bouncing and cooing begins as he reaches out to try to steal my spoon. And that is how that one started solids!!

Not rolling my eyes. Mine said to do the same thing. Strangers told me I'd starve my 1st one if I didn't put cereal in his cup.

And I know how moms are. Mine also said to feed ds8 formula since I hadn't completely figured out b'feeding at 12 hrs postpartum. She bought it for me, even! :001_huh:

Well, what are you having for dinner? I fed mashed up whatever we were eating. I started with zucchini and avocado and banana. And I did actually throw some oats in a coffee grinder (that's not used for coffee) and cook those too. And at first, just one food, but when I knew he tolerated that one food, I fed him the same we were eating, just mashed up.

Putting the common allergens aside, feed your bub whatever you have lying around. Some sort of gluten free grain is a good start because it will blend with whatever you serve next and that bit of familiarity helps. I started mine off with a bit of puffed amaranth mixed with breastmilk. Not very inspiring, but I added the amaranth to the next few foods I introduced and down they went. I think dd's second and third foods were mushroom and bok choi. The sooner you build up a repetoire of the most commonly eaten grains and vegetables, the sooner you can stop preparing special foods. I used to buy a few extra of whatever vegetables we were having, steam, freeze in ice cube trays and leave in an ice cream container. That way I could whip out a few different flavours for each meal, and if we were going somewhere, I could pop a few in a jar and they'd have thawed by the time we got there.

Rosie

Yes what everyone is saying about mashing stuff you're eating up. I also wanted to point out that, in the discussion about mercury being found in high-fructose corn syrup, it was also noted that Gerber products have... HFCS. First, I think we can all pause for the collecting retching. Then, I would suggest avoiding jarred baby food.

Yes what everyone is saying about mashing stuff you're eating up. I also wanted to point out that, in the discussion about mercury being found in high-fructose corn syrup, it was also noted that Gerber products have... HFCS. First, I think we can all pause for the collecting retching. Then, I would suggest avoiding jarred baby food.

They put that garbage in baby food? Blech! I thought jarred baby food only contained water and whatever pureed veggie or fruit. Why on earth would they sweeten it?

My own personal pref is to keep fruits lower down on the scale because of the sweetness

breastmilk is sweeter even than fruit. since the taste for sweet is already 'set', I'm not concerned about messing with the natural balance of things by adding fruit:)....it's just a continuation of the sweetness they're already used to, with the addition of new flavors to said sweetness.

K

Is there a heated thread on this topic? Never mind, lol, maybe I don't want to know. The first food for my first child, after bm, of course, was mashed avocado. Then sweet potato, then banana. Then everything off our plates. He nursed for over 3 years, so I never worried about him getting enough of anything.

I've seen some babies devour organic brown rice ceral and be totally blissed out on it. I don't know if they had organic brown rice baby cereal 20 years ago. But I was a total food hippie back then and all I ever saw was Gerber, which I was against. lol I know they had it 9 yrs ago when my yougnest was born. But it wasn't on my radar and well, she already had plenty to eat with veggies & fruit so I never thought about it. She was about 8 mos when she started eating solids and was very happy with bm alone.

If I had a hungry one, I suppose I might have tried the brown rice...not sure.

Well, what are you having for dinner? I fed mashed up whatever we were eating. I started with zucchini and avocado and banana. And I did actually throw some oats in a coffee grinder (that's not used for coffee) and cook those too. And at first, just one food, but when I knew he tolerated that one food, I fed him the same we were eating, just mashed up.

I need an extra coffee grinder! Ours is getting too much variety of use as it is--can you imagine--wired baby + hint-of-carrot in your coffee? I'm not sure what that = other than a strong need for more small appliances in the kitchen. :lol:

A fork works. I honestly mean that. lol Don't buy anything!!

That's my favorite advice so far--oh wait--you mean to mash w/. I thought you meant to just feed him. <sigh> I knew it was too easy. :lol:

I also like the advice to just feed him what we're eating. Instead of worrying about things being pureed. Or healthy. :leaving:

I'm kidding. Really.

That's my favorite advice so far--oh wait--you mean to mash w/. I thought you meant to just feed him. <sigh> I knew it was too easy. :lol:

I also like the advice to just feed him what we're eating. Instead of worrying about things being pureed. Or healthy. :leaving:

Oh please, Aubrey. My kids made chocloate chip cookies today. lol They also had hot chocolate after they came in from playing on our iced over driveway. But it all balances out. Last night we had homemade broccollllli pizza on whole wheat crust. They rarely get sick. My 9 yr old has never even had an antibiotic in her life, so yk, I do not care about cookie baking. At all. Bring it on.

And yes-- either way: put food on the fork and give it to him, or mash up whatever you're eating with the fork. I wouldn't even bother to adjust spices. Mash those carrots, those sweet potatoes, those whatever you're having and feed it to him. (he's a full 6 mos, right? lol)

Yeah, I never worry about spices, either, unless I was making something Thai and going really heavy on the curry paste. (And, yes, we just used a fork) (Oh, and also, all of my children - from 20 to 4 - love Thai. :001_smile:)

It's crazy...and fun. I have two kids who adore kimchee. The hotter, the better.

I wouldn't even bother to adjust spices. Mash those carrots, those sweet potatoes, those whatever you're having and feed it to him. (he's a full 6 mos, right? lol)

No, we use our coffee grinder to grind spices when we run out of pre-ground ones. If we grind other stuff in there, too, well...I don't know what might happen. LOL

And no, he's not 6 mos yet. Not until Feb 10.

Nurse him... Sometime between 8 and 12 months, he'll start reaching for YOUR food. Then you can let him have a little.

Be carefull giving ages like this. My son started reaching for my fork by 4 mos of age. At 3 months, he was opening his mouth like a little bird and following my fork. Finally, he just started grabbing for it. I tried to hold off feeding solids, but he would have none of it. I know it is way out of the norm but it was impossible for me to wait till even 6 months for solids, let alone 8. Every child is different and giving "norms" like this can make life very difficult for someone trying to fit a statistic her child just doesn't fit.

( Yes, he was breastfed only and on demand untill 4 mos at which time he was trying to steel my food. By 6 mos, he was eating 2 pieces of toast and 2 scrambled eggs every morning for breakfast. Never had cereal or baby food. Weaned himself completely at 8 months, graduating to ordinary people food and sippy cups of milk)

FYI: This child did everything early, sat up at 3 months, walked at 7 months, ran at 9 months, potty trained at 20 months - even nights. Weight: Birth 10.10 oz., 6 weeks -15 lbs, 6 months - 25 lbs.

Never gave mine cereal.

I regret to say that I have forgotten whether or not you're breastfeeding. If you are, and he seems hungry, then the obvious answer is to nurse him more.

Are you sure he's *hungry* and not just putting everything in his mouth?? or wanting to do what he sees other family members doing at the dinner table? Babies do not *know* that there is anything other than mother's milk (or bottles). They will of course react to solid food, but they don't crave it, IYKWIM.

I started my babies with things they could pick up and eat themselves--cheerios, peas, cooked potato, some fruit such as bananas. I figured if they were not capable of getting it to their mouths on their own, they were not ready to eat it.

I think I may have given my twins (my first) at small bit of organic cereal, but not much.

For my third (but only second time :tongue_smilie:), I was pretty lazy. I figured I'd just wait till she was 10 mos. and I could give her small cubes of soft stuff or cheerios (well, I used Oatios) etc. and just skip the pureed stage - but that kid still wanted mushy even at that age! I bought a Baby Food Grinder - just a simple thing with a hand crank. I put whatever I cooked for dinner in there and fed it to her. Easy peasy. I think I may have brought some jars for when we were out, but honestly I can't remember even buying those much.

A great book for ideas on this is Feeding the Whole Family. It has great, whole food recipes, and for each one there's a suggestion of what part of the dinner you can mash or set aside for baby. I still use this cookbook even though my kids are all much older now!

for your original question. I have nursed all of my children. First born was do what I know and started Gerber baby cereal @ 3 months. With each child after that I waited longer and longer before introducing any type of food. I am expecting #4 and we will see when this one gets food:O)

I was recommended (I believe from this board) the book Super Baby Food. I was able to check this one out from the library and found it to be very resourceful. Making your own baby food was a lot easier than I thought and better for my child than the jar stuff. I would buy the organic stuff when on sale but, felt more satisfaction knowing what I was feeding my baby.

Don't be overwhelmed! Make it a lifestyle and remember nobody has it that together all of the time:O)

FYI: This child did everything early, sat up at 3 months, walked at 7 months, ran at 9 months, potty trained at 20 months - even nights. Weight: Birth 10.10 oz., 6 weeks -15 lbs, 6 months - 25 lbs.

I understand kids doing things early, and each parent has to make their own choices. With the science behind waiting, there is no way that I (NOW...nevermind what I did before) would even consider ANY solids before 6 months. But though that seems to be the norm for the people that answered the original thread, it is EXTREMELY odd in society. And obviously it's not the end of the world to do it like everyone else. *I* just wouldn't. We have learned differently so do differently.

Be carefull giving ages like this. My son started reaching for my fork by 4 mos of age. At 3 months, he was opening his mouth like a little bird and following my fork. Finally, he just started grabbing for it. I tried to hold off feeding solids, but he would have none of it.

2nd. at 3 mos...following the path of our utentils as they traversed from plate to mouth. at four months, if she was seated on my lap, she could pull herself to my plate, use a perfect pincer grasp to take hold of the item in which she was interested, and get it perfectly to her mouth. I'd take it out and put her somewhere else (away from the food).

She was getting plenty of breastmilk and then some;p. Around 5.5 mos of age, she was too quick for me, grabbed roasted zucchini off my plate at Whole Foods, put it in her mouth, gummed it to death and swallowed it. It wasn't a small piece either.

From then (5.5 mo), she nursed and would then *feed herself* whatever we were eating (minus the grains until around 1 year of age). Given the critical nature of iron and zinc, I wish I'd paid more attention to those nutrients (think red meat, organ meats etc). Oh and of course vitamin D. Everyone needs more: adults, babies (breastfed or not), children, elderly etc....

K

Don't panic. Not all baby foods have added sugar.

:iagree:

I started off making Becca's foods, but changed over to jarred baby foods later. I always scrutinized the ingredients and never gave baby desserts. We loved Beech-Nut.

And I gave both of my daughters cereal before 6 months. So sue me. :tongue_smilie: It was a perfectly educated, well thought out decision.

It's crazy...and fun. I have two kids who adore kimchee. The hotter, the better.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who's kiddies have interesting taste. My daughter isn't even one yet and loves chilli beans and wasabi peas!

I'm sure toddlers aren't supposed to do that! Proof, Aubrey, that they'll live whatever you feed them. Or whatever they pick up by raiding the pantry. I sure didn't give her the wasabi peas...

Rosie

Ah, so I'm not the only one who's kiddies have interesting taste. My daughter isn't even one yet and loves chilli beans and wasabi peas!

I'm sure toddlers aren't supposed to do that! Proof, Aubrey, that they'll live whatever you feed them. Or whatever they pick up by raiding the pantry. I sure didn't give her the wasabi peas...

Rosie

Yep. At 8 months, I used to give T (now 3 1/2) a piece of raw asparagus to munch on to keep him quiet while I made lunch. (The boy still loves his asparagus.) And at a little over a year, his sister stole a big piece of Unagi (eel sushi) off her dad's plate and shoved the whole thing in her mouth. They both love Sushi. T is a little more adventurous, and also really likes pickled ginger. And he enjoys spicy things too. (Though spicy Thai curry is a bit too much for him - not that it stopped him many times from taking the spoon off my plate while we were out to eat.)

Really, feed the baby what you eat. And then you won't need to worry about how to transition from baby food to what you're feeding the rest of your family.