Menu

Are there still people committed to the idea of homeschooling as a lifestyle?

but after recently taking my 8th grader out of PS, I am committed to schooling my kids all the way through. Granted, she wasn't in PS very long (2.5 yrs) but it did enough damage to convince me. So yes, by the grace of God, I feel like I have been given another chance, and as long as I am able, I will homeschool to the best of my ability. And although I do know of a couple other homeschooling families, I am pretty much on my own but feel comfortable with that. We have no co-op and everyone is busy with their own family. I am very thankful for my internet friends and our ability to help each other.

:grouphug:

Dana

I just received an email from another acquaintance who is putting her children in a brick and mortar classical charter school in a neighboring city. It looks like a great school, but for the last couple of years many of my friends have quit homeschooling for one reason or another. Most of the others are in charter school at home programs. Sometimes I feel like the only one still committed to independently homeschooling my children all the way through high school. Has anyone else felt this way or seen this trend?

I *am* committed to it. But the reality is that there are a variety of things that come up that force people to make difficult choices. In my life, what are the sigificant difficulties that exist in contrast to *my* deeply held personal beliefs? One would be dh's discomfort wrt homeschooling. He just. Doesn't. Get it. Just doesn't.

The second significant thing would be my dd's opposition to doing anything resembling school work. What I deal with in a day from her, many of you don't deal with in a week or month with your children. (I know that many of you *do* have major challenges with your children, but I also know that many don't)

She's dyslexic, ADHD, has many social skills issues.....and due to a variety of events that occured last year in homeschool group, and her challenging nature, there is almost no one that will play with her anymore. It's heartbreaking. She loves people. She's very social. And she has almost no friends. I get it. I do. She is difficult. And few girls her age are in our group. Aside from a girl who's two years younger, there is no one who plays with her. The other group of girls is 10/11 and while they will play with her on class days, there are no 'playdates' or sleepovers.....no invitations extended or accepted. She is incredibly lonely.

While *I* am deeply committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle.....the aforementioned child may be starting school. As soon as next week even.

:(

Katherine

We're in for the long haul. The first time I homeschooled through high school, I really worried about whether I could do a good enough job. She wasn't the type of kid who could take classes at the CC to supplement. But now that I see that I can do it, I plan on homeschooling all the way through for the others. I have to admit, though, that I do fantasize sometimes about having other options. Homeschooling special needs kids has been very, very lonely for me. It's my job to do what's best for them, of course, but if I had the option to get a break now and again, say, a part-time program that we could afford, I might consider it. But I can't imagine one coming along that would meet my standards. I've been called on to do this, so I'm doing it.:bigear:

There were lots of homeschoolers (with all ages of students) when we started with gr. 1 and 2 nine years ago, and more (all with young children) joined in over the next few years.

Then a lot of those older homeschoolers pulled out for Christian or charter high school because they never intended to homeschool all the way through, or circumstances changed. And at the same time, homeschoolers who started after us dropped out because it was hard, or for similar reasons above. So homeschooling those middle school years was without as much company.

Now, we're 2 years into homeschooling high school, and I see a new wave joining in who are all new to homeschooling, both with little ones -- but also starting with jr/sr high aged students, due to finances, or children's attitudes going south in public school, or the poor public school academics here, and our homsechool group has a jr/sr high group *twice* the size it was 3 years ago!

But yes, we are very willing to homeschool all the way through and would FAR prefer it (2-1/2 and 3-1/2 years to go!) -- but we do seriously pray, discuss, and plan each year one year at a time to allow the Lord to make it clear what HIS plan is for us and for each student, and to allow for changes in each student and in our family circumstances. Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

We are in it for the long haul. We did put one child in public high school because we could not find those gypsies!

But we have graduated on kid through homeschooling and we currently have a senior homeschooled student, so yes, I guess we are long term homeschoolers.

Unless dual enrollment does not count? We do have our daughter taking classes at the local college.

I didn't even know homeschooling was a lifestyle. I thought it was an educational style.

That's what it is around here. Or rather a method.

For one of my sons, our method has changed. For the other, we continue to homeschool.

I'm not sure what that says about our lifestyle. :D

I didn't even know homeschooling was a lifestyle. I thought it was an educational style.

I suppose it is really, but it affects our family life in a way that makes it more like a lifestyle choice than just an educational choice. With four children at all different stages it takes up so much of my time that if they were in school life would be very different. I don't know what I'd be doing with my time and how we'd be living with all the extra money we'd have. I'd probably not be working on my own education - I've learned so, so much through homeschooling that I'm not sure I'd ever have understood otherwise. For the children too, I'm quite sure their personalities are affected by their experience of learning at home as opposed to learning at school. All in all, to me, it really does feel like a lifestyle, or at least a large part of our lifestyle, that to a greater or lesser extent affects all the other parts.

For us it is a lifestyle. But that is because the quote I have in my signature "Education is a life" is truly part of how we think of our daily life.

We aren't unschoolers but our learning experience is so fluid. We pick up schoolwork and pursue it at set times but it isn't set in stone. My health problems over the years and now our involvement in ministry means that some days we hit the books hard and some days are more loosey-goosey. We approach anything from a field trip to a play to having the plumber come in as a learning experience (you should hear my kids "interview" the plumber). We often go on rabbit trails of research to find out side information that was brought up by our schoolwork. We school on Saturday and even Sunday at times because it fits in better that way to our life.

We really do have a love of learning - whether it is practical learning like learning to knit or something more esoteric. I know, I know - not all homeschoolers would have that approach to learning and people who aren't homeschoolers could have that attitude and approach toward learning. But I've found that homeschooling makes learning a lifestyle for us.

I am committed, even though events of the last 4 weeks have shown that DH is not (and not just in the HS area). IT's taken me "this long" to figure out myself in this area... this IS what i want for my kids.

Things will greatly be changing in the coming year (divorce), and i will be doing anything to keep doing what is best for my kids. I don't expect it will be easy, and I fully expect to have to in the end enroll in a private school that allows HS'ing but has way more oversight just to appease their father.

BUT, my kids and I have a great relationship and actually all like being together. I'm not keen on giving that up.

Yes, we are!

And for us, it very much is a lifestyle decision, primarily because of the impact this has had on our finances. When I quit work to stay home fourteen years ago I was earning more than dh by about 30%. It was my paycheck that paid the mortgage each month, and dh's that paid the grocery, utilities, taxes etc. It's been a very big challenge to live in a very expensive city on one income.

It's also a lifestyle decision in that as other posters have mentioned, we very much view life as a constant learning opportunity. We also choose to be very involved in our children's lives, to interact with them, to talk to them, to be with them.

Someone visited us recently and was very surprised that the kids stayed in the living room, politely joining in the visit. He remarked that in most families the kids disappear into their rooms or into the 'family room' & watch tv or play video games. He thought it was very unusual for the kids to stay with the adults and actually talk and take part in the conversation.

I hope to be in through high school. Heck my 8yo even asked why I couldn't teach college for him as well. LOL All the people I know that homeschool, save one, are back at traditional schools. Mostly for social reasons. I really try hard not to judge others. I haven't walked a mile in their shoes and don't understand all of the thought that went into their decisions. I do know that for us, I'll do dang near anything to continue on this path.

For us using a program that 'fits' is part of the solution to the original problem. Not everyone original reason for homeschooling is the same. Not everyone has a deep yearning passion for homeschooling. Not every child is a good home school student. Not every family who home schools, does it successfully.

Not everyone home schools because they think it is the absolute best solution for their family. They may just not like their assigned public school and can't afford private. They settled on homeschooling as the best option at the time.

These programs open up opprotunities for them. This is what makes the charter school or home programs a viable option.

I am seeing this trend as well and I am somewhat a part of it. In our original homeschool group, we had about 20 kids in my older kids age group. Only about 4 families are still homeschooling those kids at the high school level. We are still schooling the two oldest at the high school level. The oldest is self motivated and does very well independently while the tenth grader would do better with a teacher that really pushed her and that is not me. However, she is commited to finishing at home.

The sixth grader is in PS and doing much better than she was at home. She will probably stay in school. The fourth grader will also be going to school next year.

So long haul for olders but not for youngers. Homeschooling fits our lifestyle better but some of my kids do better in PS so that is more important.

I didn't read all the replies. Personally, I don't believe there is *one* right way to educate every child. For now, homeschooling is the right thing for my family. Next year it might not be.

As a Christian, I will make this decision by prayer and seeking the wise counsel of other believers. Though I *know* there are those out there who would disagree w/ me (and that's fine), I don't see the Bible spelling out a clear educational choice for believers. It's more a matter of Christian liberty.

The two commands God does give, are for *us* to train our children up in the ways of the Lord. . .and for *us* to do what is best as far as rearing the children He has placed in our care. . .lovingly training them, and not provoking them to wrath.

Whether that means my son will be in Christian school or classical school next year, or homeschooled, i don't know for sure. I do know that I will follow the Lord's leading, and the needs of my child. :001_smile: Homeschooling is a lifestyle for me in the sense that I will always be my child's first teacher, no matter where they receive their "formal" education. I think that homeschoolers need to be *so* careful that we do not look down on those who do not do as we do. It turns people off from homeschooling, IMO.

It's a lifestyle commitment for us. Other people can do whatever they want, but we made a promise. This will probably get me flamed, but...

I would consider putting ds in school a collosal failure and waste of the last 6 years, not to mention a waste of a good kid's potential.

It takes constant hard work and compromise, but we consciously made our lifestyle suit homeschooling and homeschooling suit our lifestyle. It's a promise we made to our child and our family. We homeschool because it is the superior option. We can and do provide the best education ds could possibly get here. (If you knew our school options, you'd probably think that's not saying much, though.)

Dh and I have talked about it, and the only thing we can forsee that would cause us to stop homeschooling, is if I died. And even then, if I died and ds was at least to the high school years, then dh is pretty sure that he could get the craptacular independent study curriculum from the provincial ed. department (probably the same books he used when he was in high school!), and he could get ds through high school on his own.

I know the feeling... There are a few orthodox Jewish homeschoolers in our community but everyone but me outsources EVERYTHING. There's no one to confer with about what has worked or not with our Jewish studies. And I get so excited about figuring things out, and learning, and planning the next stages I practically jump up and down. And there's no one else here to do that with. :( Thank goodness for online sources of support!!!!!!

We hope to homeschool all the way through, and for us it is definitely a lifestyle choice that we absolutely love. It has worked so well for us. I guess it's the different between doing something because you love it and doing something because it's the only alternative. Sigh...

When we began homeschooling we went into it as a lifestyle choice.

God willing, our desire is to go all the way with our girls.

Schooling is part and parcel of our everyday life, not separate, or something to finish so we can get back to our real life. I hope to foster a true love of learning and a hunger for knowledge and give our children the tools to equip them to learn anything they need or want.

In the never say never category, I can't see us ever sending them to a brick and mortar school but if it became needful or beneficial, it would be prayerfully considered.

I'm committed to providing the best academic environment for each of my children..whatever school situation that may be. That's always been my goal. This semester it is a public charter school. The last three years it was homeschool. Who knows what the future will hold?

Learning is our lifestyle, I wouldn't say that homeschooling has been our lifestyle, as we continue to pursue our interests, and the interests I feel are necessary for a good education every day.

My dh was homeschooled and we intended to always homeschool. Yet when my 8th baby was born and I my oldest was going to have to start transcripts in a few years a Charter School opened in our town. I was able to be apart of the beginning of it helping to chose curriculum and helping to form the school. We love it. We meet one day a week and homeschool the rest of the week. It is a very small school that is made up of most homeschoolers. We use TWTM as our main place to look at curriculum. We also use the SOTW for history. I know there are many moms of many who do an encredible job homeschooling their children but I just was not. When I see how much my kids have grown and learned I am floored. If anything were to happen to this school we would go back to homeschooling. In fact we are hoping to move out to the country and then it would not be feasible to go into town. So, I am in the best of both worlds. It really like a glorified homeschool co-op but we still have a learning lifestyle.

Lora

I would consider putting ds in school a collosal failure and waste of the last 6 years, not to mention a waste of a good kid's potential.

It takes constant hard work and compromise, but we consciously made our lifestyle suit homeschooling and homeschooling suit our lifestyle. It's a promise we made to our child and our family. We homeschool because it is the superior option. We can and do provide the best education ds could possibly get here. (If you knew our school options, you'd probably think that's not saying much, though.)

We began situational, but I cannot imagine putting ds back into school, for the very same reasons you give.

It's a lifestyle commitment for us. Other people can do whatever they want, but we made a promise. This will probably get me flamed, but...

Dh and I have talked about it, and the only thing we can forsee that would cause us to stop homeschooling, is if I died. And even then, if I died and ds was at least to the high school years, then dh is pretty sure that he could get the craptacular independent study curriculum from the provincial ed. department (probably the same books he used when he was in high school!), and he could get ds through high school on his own.[/quote

:iagree:

Thanks for your honesty! We're in it for the long haul as well!

I am not committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle. I am strongly committed to providing the best education.

I would say the opposite ;)

I am not committed to providing the best education, but

I am committed to the homeschooling as a lifestyle.

:seeya:

Me too! Me too! We're in it for the long haul. If, God forbid, something should happen to me, I've talked to Chris about ways he could make it happen still. If we should both perish, my older brother and his wife (childless) will take in all the kidders and they are very much pro homeschooling so I have no worries there.

I'm the same way! My parents would be the guardians, and I keep telling my mom "I'm so afraid you'll put them in school-promise me, promise me!"

I know that it is God's plan for us, and them, and if something happened to us financially, we would sacrifice whatever we had to so that we could continue.

I am committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle. I know exactly where you are coming from though.

Just Friday, we stopped and visited a family that was my closest friend in our prior location. Their five children and our four were matched in age almost perfectly. I don't remember them ever fighting or anything. They have now sent their oldest to public high school and the next two want to go next year as well.

My dh kept asking me why I was so quiet and I just didn't know. Finally I told him it was as if she was no longer a home schooler. A major thing we shared was gone. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it made me rather sad.

My oldest ds will be a high schooler this fall. Although I have begun to have some anxiety, I have some new moms in my life that are committed to home schooling all the way. One has already graduated one son and has two more to go. One had her children in ps until 4th grade and says they have no desire to go back. So, although one old friend has chosen a different path, I am very thankful some like-minded moms have come into my life.