Menu

How fast is your internet connection?

download speed 2.27 mbps

upload speed 547 kbps

Verizon dsl

http://www.speedtest.net/

It's always fun to go here and check out speeds in Japan and France, and wonder why we are so far behind:

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php

The lowest speed in Tokyo is over 19 mbps (19,000 kbps)

Edited by RoughCollie

1.4 Mbps

This time of day is slow around here. I wonder if it is the kids getting home from school and using the internet

ETA

I have been randomly testing and have had results in the 1.x, 3.x, 5.x and now 7.22 range.

Our readings are allways all over the board.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I ran it three times...I got 46.78 Mbps the first time, 46.51 Mbps the second time, and 30.23 Mbps the third.

We'd LOVE that speed but it is out of reach, financially, for us. What kind of connection do you have? It's got to be T3. Do you have that at home or are you at work? T3 is awfully expensive.

ETA: You must have updated while I was replying. The speedtest for me gave me 14Mbps.

:crying:

I live in the boonies!!! I can't even get cable TELEVISION, let alone cable internet!!

Verizon won't service us because we're 2 miles from the main road.

939.9 kbps is what I have -- and it's actually better than it used to be!! (We switched from dial-up to satellite internet a few years ago)

So, Spycar, I'm right behind you in the slow lane! ;)

Edited to add -- I just ran the test again and it read 488.5 kbps ... :(

Edited by hsmamainva

I'm so not a techie.....

I just clicked on Spy Car' test. This was the result: 438.80kbps.

So is that good or bad?:001_huh:

What do you want to to be? :001_smile:

It's smokin' fast compared to the old days of 300 baud dial-up.

But some of these ladies have scary-fast service.

Bill

Astounding!

Do you use it for anything other than loading WTM really quickly?

Bill

Bill, I'm trying to type this without my sweet dh seeing this. Thank God he doesn't have his glasses on...his computer (older icky Dell) is about 12 inches from mine.

He just bought me an iMac. 24" screen. He souped up the graphics and RAM. He spent a fortune. And no, I've done nothing more than this. Well, I've Googled. And read CNN.

Gasp. Don't tell!!!

I keep meaning to install iWorks. And learn how to use iPhoto. And send an email from my machine (can't quite figure out how to start an address book).

EEEKK. DH looking this way....

Ria

He just bought me an iMac. 24" screen. He souped up the graphics and RAM. He spent a fortune. And no, I've done nothing more than this. Well, I've Googled. And read CNN.

Gasp. Don't tell!!!

I keep meaning to install iWorks. And learn how to use iPhoto. And send an email from my machine (can't quite figure out how to start an address book).

EEEKK. DH looking this way....

Ria

Sweet!!! :001_smile:

We got my 88 (then 87) year-old father a 24" inch iMac the Christmas before last and even with a fairly fast G5, I'm a bit envious.

Your DH is a "good guy"! You can tell him some strange man on the internet said so :tongue_smilie:

Bill

395852692.png

The first time.

395855037.png

The second time.

Smokin'!

We'll be moving and I really hope the house we finally buy will have cable and not DSL. I LOVE my cable.

EDIT: I should add that it feels really good to be in rural Nova Scotia and to be beating someone in LA. :D

Edited by dawn of ns

I'm so not a techie.....

I just clicked on Spy Car' test. This was the result: 438.80kbps.

So is that good or bad?:001_huh:

Oh, yeah, we have cable internet.

OK. DH came home while I was doing this and unhooked a thingy and hooked up another thingy and the new test result is:

3.85 Mbps

That's faster....right?:blush: Like I said, I'm not real techie. :blush:

Are you sure it's not 4678 kbps or 4.78 mbps?

Because wowsers...

Yep...it's correct. THis morning I got 40.61 Mbps. But read the fine print at the 2wire site:

What does this test actually measure?

This connection tests how fast your computer can load a Web page from the 2Wire Website. It does not measure the speed of your ISP connection, but rather the speed at which the page is received and appears in your browser.

Why do other "bandwidth" meters give different results?

Bandwidth does not always mean the same thing, other meters measure how fast your connection is able to find a requested Website, or how fast you can send and receive email.

How do I determine if my results are good or poor?

Your results should be consistent and should not change dramatically. If you receive inconsistent results, such as a high number then a low number, you may be experiencing a problem with your connection.

So it's a different measure from the speedtest site. This morning I got 4.2 Mbps up and 587 kbps down at that site.....this is a measure of the speed of the ISP processing (I think).

From here, using Atlanta (my closet)

http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last Result:

Download Speed: 10600 kbps (1325 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1823 kbps (227.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comcast Cable Internet, and I can tell my neighbors are all at work......

Using the one Janet posted i got, going thru Orlando:

8756 kb/s down

1689 kb/s up

6786 on the speedtest site (which sent it to a server or whatever about an hour and a half away), 6906 on the Time Warner test site which likely uses a closer whatever. We have a Time Warner cable modem (Roadrunner), speed is supposed to be 7mbps, so we are close. If we were willing to pay about $10 more a month, we could get closer to 10, purportedly.

We actually tested this just the other night after the phone company tried to get us to switch to dsl, but since they won't invest in fiber optics for our area, we wouldn't really see a big increase in speed or enough decrease in price to make it worth having to switch our email addresses everywhere after almost 10 years. The dsl in our area also has a reputation for going out frequently. My husband works from home one day a week and often has to do work from home at off hours once or twice a week, so that is not something we want to risk. The cable modem has been extremely reliable over the 3.5 years we've been here.

Edited by KarenNC

• 2 years later...

I'm in the boonies, but SpeedTest is saying I have speed faster than 90% of Canada, so I think I can't complain!

Download 6.93 Mb/s

Upload 0.65 Mb/s

Ping 40ms

ETA: Oops! I just noticed this was an old thread, too. Oh well... neat test! :D

It's very erratic, but on the site it recorded 275 Kbps on a 3G card.

And for that we pay US$ 65 for 2 GB per month on contract and 27 c per MB for out of bundle rates.

ETA: Oh, this is an old thread! Maybe someone feels better about their internet not being as expensive or bad as they thought :)

Edited by Hannah

What a crummy thread! :glare: Now I'll go to bed depressed. Geez!

Mine is so slow, I can't do the test. :001_huh: Seriously, I'd have to wait some unspecified time (by time I mean hours) to update my flashplayer, then it probably still wouldn't register because my internet connection is so slow I'm sure the test would conclude that it must be a technical error of some sort.

My computer says it's 46.6 Kbps, but comparing all the other replies makes me want to cry. Can it really be THAT slow?? Really??? Oh my sad little woman, I have been living in the technological dark ages. :ack2:

Thankfully I have a company coming tomorrow to install wireless highspeed. Go me! It's a forced update but I'll go with it... I got a new IMac that's incompatible with my dial-up. ;)

Edited by *~Tina~*

We pay for 4.5 mbps and routinely get about 3.5. Qwest DSL. It's good enough for HD content from Netflix on a roku.

Speedtest.net says I'm getting 16.47 mbps upload and 2.72 mbps download. Which is about where it normally is. We have Comcast Cable Internet, which we ended up with a year of free service (at the fastest level) because we are cool like that. :coolgleamA: {honestly, not sure how my hubby finagled it, but he did!}

This after trying Qwest DSL and our lines in our apartment are so old that we couldn't get more than 1.xx mpbs or so. Which I realize is still faster than some of you - but was NOT going to work for us. DH is quite the techie and we have opted to go w/o cable TV and watch everything by hooking up our computers to our TV. (Will be getting a Roku soon).

We had to be getting at least 5-6 mbps to be able to watch TV so it was worth it to us to pay an extra $10 a month for the cable internet (which ended up free anyways...) so we don't have the additional cost of TV. I'm not sure what we're going to do if we move into the boonies like I'd like..... guess it can't be to far into the boonies. :D

Just got out of bed with my iPad and instead tried my super gaming computer, and it also says 2.9mbps. That's Bill's test.

Here's Speedtest.

1360961745.png

We're able to watch streaming HD movies, plus surf the computer, while never experiencing any slowness, so I'm okay with this.