Menu

What to use on ceral other than milk that tastes good?

I have just figured out in the last month that when I drink milk my body rebels in interesting ways like bloating.... I am looking for something that would work that isn't milk but doesn't taste awful. Some of the options I have seen are Soy milk (this has its own controversies apparently), Almond Milk and Rice Milk. What have you used, what have you liked and why? Thanks!

Cottage cheese and yogurt are still dairy and likely to cause the same problem, lol. What about mixing your dry cereal with a few crasins and a few nuts for protein and eating it dry? Have your fluids on the side as tea or juice?? I am trying to go dairy free and clear my stuffy head, so I can empathize with you. (I'm allergic to soy and almonds so they aren't options here)

My youngest can't have milk so we have experimented with lots of things. We have found that Rice milk is pretty good, but we are happiest with unsweetened vanilla almond milk for cereal. She likes to drink the sweetened vanilla almond, but the unsweetened is best on the cereal. Experiment is the best way. But we liked the health benefits of giving her almond milk and it didn't seem to change the taste much. We used Rice milk for a while because it has a neutral flavor.

I love the unsweetened almond milk on cereal. I can't stand the taste of unsweetened soy milk & I can't do the sugar in the sweetened versions. My dd LOVES her cereal dry (yuck) & my mom eats hers with yogurt (yuck to me too), but my dh has developed a taste for his with water (OMG-Gross!), but to each his own. If you like your cereal wet, just try something different every day... maybe coffe Wednesday, Cranberry juice Thursday, ;)

You can make a pitcher of coconut milk.

Put a can of unsweetened coconut milk in a pitcher and stir in about a can of water (or a little more or less depending on how thick you like it), 2 tablespoons of honey, and a pinch of salt. I got these instructions from a book and it said that coconut milk spoils quickly so this mixture should be refrigerated in an airtight container and used within 3-4 days.)

I mostly drink soy milk (Silk/refrigerated section and Vitasoy/boxes) but I especially like coconut milk for this cereal combination: I microwave Bran Buds and coconut milk for about a minute and a half to make a hot cereal and then slice a banana on top.

Lactaid Milk contains the lactase enzyme, so the lactose is already "digested" before you drink it. Some people notice a slightly sweeter taste because the lactose is broken down into simpler sugars, but it doesn't bother me. I use it on slightly sweetened cereal (like granola or frosted mini wheats), so I don't notice the sweeter taste of the milk.

One thing to look for, though, when buying Lactaid milk. There are several different varieties, and some of them contain thickeners (carrageenan and guar gum) which makes the milk really thick. I can't stand this texture. I've seen it in the low-fat variety, and in the "Added Calcium" whole milk. Make sure you read the labels. My favorite, because it tastes and feels just like regular milk, is the regular Whole Milk Lactaid.

You CAN have milk on your cereal! It costs a bit more, but it's ultra-pasteurized, so a half gallon can last two or three weeks without going bad. I just have "my milk", and no one else drinks it.

Oh, I love yogurt with granola, too. Yogurt doesn't bother my belly like milk, ice cream, and cheese do.

We have used rice milk for years. DS15 is allergic to milk, so it we started using that. The rest of the kids followed suit. I still use cow's milk on my cereal, but will use rice milk in a pinch and find that it tastes fine. The problem for me is that rice milk is fairly high in carbs and low in protein - add in cereal and there are just too many carbs for me to process without the balancing effect of protein. But that's just me. My children don't seem to have this problem:)

Lactaid is too sweet for me. (Thanks for that info about it Suzanne. Nice to know there was a reason, and I'm not crazy, after I heard people say it tasted just like milk!)

I don't eat too much cereal, but when I do, I prefer unsweetened soymilk. I love yogurt on granola. My sister likes almond milk these days.

Cottage cheese and yogurt are still dairy and likely to cause the same problem, lol.

If it's a lactose issue, most of the lactose is broken down in yogurt, making it edible by all but the most sensitive. My dh, who is incredibly lactose intolerant, has no problem with yogurt, and eats a bowl of plain organic yogurt with nuts every day in his lunch. He is also fine with goat milk...both he and one of my sons have switched to goat milk for cereal.

Cottage cheese and yogurt are still dairy and likely to cause the same problem, lol. What about mixing your dry cereal with a few crasins and a few nuts for protein and eating it dry? Have your fluids on the side as tea or juice?? I am trying to go dairy free and clear my stuffy head, so I can empathize with you. (I'm allergic to soy and almonds so they aren't options here)

not true. They are partially digested and contain beneficial bacteria and enzymes. Yogurt, kefir and cottage cheese are all recommended for those with severe allergies. (Some of those have to go with sheep, goat, or camel made products though.)

My ds is allergic to milk and does very well with all of the above as well as organic formula.

What have you used, what have you liked and why?

We are vegan and my dd is allergic to soy. We use Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened. My dh is particular about milk substitutes (I am not). He says this one tastes "just like milk." I don't think it does (and that's a good thing to me; I am not the type to enjoy fake meats or cheeses or whatever either; I don't want something that tastes "just like" dead animals or animal products) but I do think it tastes very good, and best of all, it's excellent for cooking with. Rice milk is terrible for cooking, way too sweet and watery. Almond Breeze Original is also fine for cereal, but too sweet for me when it comes to cooking.

My son like OJ on his cereal, but I rarely buy juice.

Tara

I have just figured out in the last month that when I drink milk my body rebels in interesting ways like bloating.... I am looking for something that would work that isn't milk but doesn't taste awful. Some of the options I have seen are Soy milk (this has its own controversies apparently), Almond Milk and Rice Milk. What have you used, what have you liked and why? Thanks!

The same bloating happens here.

I just thought that it was my chubby tummy after having babies.

A month and a half of no milk, my tummy is as flat as a board and I am ecstatic~

I use the Blue Diamond brand Vanilla almond milk on cereal.

It tastes like adding milk and sugar.

(the Pacific brand is weird-tasting!)

Great in hot rice or oatmeal, too.

And in your tea or coffee.

My three boys haven't said a word about the difference.

My hubby loves the chocolate almond milk and will drink a glass of it, straight up.

He's a milk-addict, so I am shocked every time he drinks it and raves about how good it is~

Personally, I quit using soy milk bc it makes me break out and I stop having a period when I'm using it, even sparingly.

As wonderful as that it, it coan't be healthy.:001_huh:

I can't handle the texture of rice milk.

Every brand I've had, and even homemade has some 'thickness' to it and it gags me!!!!!

Just try a few and see what will work for you~

not true. They are partially digested and contain beneficial bacteria and enzymes. Yogurt, kefir and cottage cheese are all recommended for those with severe allergies. (Some of those have to go with sheep, goat, or camel made products though.)

My ds is allergic to milk and does very well with all of the above as well as organic formula.

Neither of my lactose-intolerant dds can tolerate yogurt, kefir or cottage cheese. Younger dd is doubled over almost instantly with yogurt.

I say just have something other than cold cereal. There are lots of yummy hot cereals (we put butter/margarine and maple syrup on our hot cereal. Yummo.) which are not time intensive to prepare.

Both of my dds are lactose. We never had cold cereal. We never looked for a milk substitute. We just ate other stuff.

We like Rice Dream Enriched rice milk. Dd likes original flavored, I like vanilla. I switched because of sinus issues. I have less stuffiness and drainage when I drink rice milk. I have also tried almond milk. It wasn't too bad either. I can buy Rice Dream at Walmart, I can't remember if I got the almond milk at Walmart or Kroger.

Neither of my lactose-intolerant dds can tolerate yogurt, kefir or cottage cheese. Younger dd is doubled over almost instantly with yogurt.

You shouldn't feel the effects of lactose intolerance until about 30 minutes (to 2 hours) after ingesting lactose. The problems come farther down the digestive tract. An instant reaction like your daughter had sounds like she might have an allergy to milk protein, in which case ANY dairy is problematic (as you described).

You shouldn't feel the effects of lactose intolerance until about 30 minutes (to 2 hours) after ingesting lactose. The problems come farther down the digestive tract. An instant reaction like your daughter had sounds like she might have an allergy to milk protein, in which case ANY dairy is problematic (as you described).

Again, I have to state that each case is different. My DS could not tolerate milk at all, but yogurt and cottage cheese are fine. Many with milk protein allergies can tolerate them because the protein is already partially digested, making it a "different animal".

My DS was producing copious amounts of mucus and vomiting it up. The nurses informed me that this is indeed an anaphylitic reaction, but he can tolerate other dairy just fine. He has several other food allergies and intolerances as well, as does my DD. I am not ignorant in this area.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Whatever is the cause, she still can't have diary :-) And when she was a baby and I was nursing her, *I* couldn't have milk, either. She'd spit up and have tummy aches.

Whatever is the cause, she still can't have diary :-) And when she was a baby and I was nursing her, *I* couldn't have milk, either. She'd spit up and have tummy aches.

That's the way my DD was. After cutting out all dairy completely for 18 months we were able to add it back in. I guess the debate doesn't matter. :lol:

My DD also developed an allergy to rice milk, because I started using it all the time. I suggest you find several options (maybe a hot cereal with water, muffins and boiled eggs, rice milk, soy milk, almond milk) and only use the same thing twice a week.

Just thought I would mention that my husband is very lactose intolerant but he can drink raw cows milk (non-pasteurized and non-homogenized) milk with no problems at all. Unfortunately, you can't usually purchase this but we pay for a share in a local organic farmers cow herd and get our raw milk there.