Menu

I wish to discuss support for homeschooling..........

There are a few that have kids in homeschool and public/private school.

There are parents that have homeschooled in the past, and now their kids go to public/private school. They still have friends here and a wealth of information from their homeschooling days to pass on to people who need it.

There are people here who are thinking of homeschooling, but haven't yet made the commitment to homeschool.

My girls are now in private school; a year ago my dh went through some rather major health problems and we decided that I needed to go back to school. It was time for me to go back to school as well, and since we no longer had a homeschool group for our girls, we decided they also needed to go back to school. After some research locally, we decided that this private school was the best option for them.

My heart is still 100% in homeschooling: my ideal would be a solid classical Christian co-op or a classical Christian school. Since neither option is available for us where we live, we have to make do with the best that we have. But, I still completely support homeschooling; I still wish we were doing it in some ways, and I still have friends on these boards that I love to visit with. I still glean a lot of good advice from these boards, and hopefully can periodically lend some advice from time to time.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the analogy is correct.

The school system is made of LOTS of people, not a hunk of metal. I freely admit that The System is a huge reason I homeschool. The negative social issues that happen every day in every school are not what i consider beneficial to most humans; even tho many seem to "survive it just fine," there are few that truly thrive. We have a society at large that is a product of years of public education.

I'm not impressed.

And that's just from a secular standpoint.

I don't need to 'do fear factor" to realize that one option carries a lot less positives. I absolutely want to know the pros AND cons of a decision. The cons of public school are splashed across the news and have a track record in the media-- I don't have to rely on my own personal anecdotal experience to know that a "great school" is a rare occurrence. I've talked to enough teachers that do acknowledge that parental support is a big part of the problem, but it's not the ONLY variable. The system itself by default can't help every kid, and fails a lot of them [in more ways than one].

i absolutely offer that opinion to people considering their schooling choices.

And i'll bring it up again when people suggest that public school is a 'viable alternative' --even tho I know my own posting style tends to push buttons too. I can handle being the anti-PS'er.

But it's just an opinion- i won't report you to CPS for sending your kids to school ;)

My personal opinion is that the school system itself is a huge, monolithic, mess and as it stands now, is utterly incapable of changing to any great extent. I am "anti" public school because I do not need or want the state to parent my child and a supreme court judge said that once they walk through the doors, they are a ward of the state while there. Not my kids, no way.

Ummm...okay. Joann said she "firmly believe(s) that "we" should be able to come to a specific, dedicated board about homeschooling and be able to express an anti public (or private) school bias without being ticketed by the "nice police"." I said in response that I see this as a place where we should be able to support one another in our homeschooling endeavours without railing against the alternatives. I said that I don't believe discussions which only serve to deride schools (that is, discussions whose sole purpose is, as Joann suggested, to express an anti-school bias) are particularly useful. That was my thought in response to Joann. And since it was my thought in response to Joann's thoughts, they relate to her original post.

Clearly, judging by your tone and words, you not only disagree with me but feel my opinion doesn't belong here in the first place. You're wrong. I was responding directly to Joann, agreeing in part with her, and offering additional thoughts on the subject.

It's amazing how many times, and by so many people, a person can be misunderstood in one thread!! Nothing you've said here reflects my intentions or meaning. I obviously am not making myself clear, so I'll bow out without further comment.

. . . don't understand the point of these types of posts.

This is a homeschooling support board, yes. So, I would be troubled if people started posting anti-homeschooling sentiments, or discouraging people from homeschooling if they weren't Stepford Homeschoolers, or some such.

But disagreement on virtually every other point seems par for the course, don't you think? No one should expect to post an anti-PS sentiment and expect everyone to agree. No one should expect to post a pro-PS sentiment and expect everyone to applaud. No one should expect to post a Christian sentiment and expect everyone to nod her head. No one should expect to post a Pagan sentiment and expect everyone to cheer. No one should expect to post a crockpot recipe and expect everyone to love it.

This is just not a place where anyone should post anything with the expectation that no one is allowed to disagree with her, chastise her, or call her a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

I think the board rules SWB has laid down are fair and reasonable. Anything more restrictive than that would be stifling, frankly. Trying to come up with a list of things people are forbidden to disagree with is unreasonable.

Until public schools are a thing of the past we need to be supportive of them. Not mock and assume we're simply above public schools. Those children attending ps will someday be tax payers, good citizens, and even become law makers. There is absolutely no reason to condemn the entire education system. It's not all bad. Really. It's not all good either. That's been made abundantly clear.

It's saddens me to see how often they're criticized here. Rather than putting down the ps system to show why homeschool is better, why not homeschool our children and 1) keep our mouths shut; or 2) find a solution for a better education system. It's in line with the cliche' "Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way"...or, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

I, for one, will always be the voice supporting public school. We came from a very good system. I just believe I can do better for my children. They deserve the best. That doesn't give me--or any of us--the right to be unkind to our friends whose children still attend public or private schools.

:iagree: Honestly, I've encountered some situations that lead me to be anti-public school, particularly in the area we are living, though probably not in all areas. I don't feel at all free to discuss them here...I've seen too many of those posts that correct someone with an anti-public school sentiment. Shoot, in an effort to be pc, I've probably responded that way at one time or another.

Frankly, the further along I am getting, the more strongly I am feeling about homeschooling not only being a good choice for our family, but that it is seeming to be the best choice for our family.

who called teachers Nazis??

He's referring to the article which was the basis of the "call to all Christians to leave public schools" or whatever the title of the thread was.

. . . don't understand the point of these types of posts.

This is a homeschooling support board, yes. So, I would be troubled if people started posting anti-homeschooling sentiments, or discouraging people from homeschooling if they weren't Stepford Homeschoolers, or some such.

But disagreement on virtually every other point seems par for the course, don't you think? No one should expect to post an anti-PS sentiment and expect everyone to agree. No one should expect to post a pro-PS sentiment and expect everyone to applaud. No one should expect to post a Christian sentiment and expect everyone to nod her head. No one should expect to post a Pagan sentiment and expect everyone to cheer. No one should expect to post a crockpot recipe and expect everyone to love it.

This is just not a place where anyone should post anything with the expectation that no one is allowed to disagree with her, chastise her, or call her a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

I think the board rules SWB has laid down are fair and reasonable. Anything more restrictive than that would be stifling, frankly. Trying to come up with a list of things people are forbidden to disagree with is unreasonable.

I'm going to have to agree with this. On this board, all ideas and opinions are questioned, challenged, debated, disputed, rebutted, sometimes all in one post (Uh..... no I'm not talking about you Peek:D)

It's the personality of the board.

Joanne,

:iagree:I agree with you. I did not read all the other posts. I am expressing my opinion. If this board is a majority homeschool board, it should be safe to make statements against public schools. Do you know why?

Public schools receive millions of dollars in support for their cause. They have an extremely strong union that does an extremely good job of attacking, degrading, and demoralizing homeschooling.

Public schools have lawyers, senators, and court systems that support them. They get all the support that they need. What do homeschoolers have as support?

As long as there are senators and courts that will support public school, then there needs to be a place where homeschoolers can complain, degrade, and demoralize public school.

I am sorry to speak so strongly, but public school has everything and homeschoolers have nothing. How could anyone say that we should taper what we say about public school?

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I'm sure she wouldn't... in fact I haven't seen anyone on this board ever do that, and yet, certainly people have taken offense many times at much more general criticism of public schools. That's the point, imo. I do think that most of the time, a comment like "I believe that in general, homeschooling is best," would not go unanswered on this board.

Because, I think, you simply can't choose for another family. You don't know their circumstances. So to say that in general, homeschooling is the best system you've found for your family is absolutely fantastic. But how in the world can a person know that for another family or another's circumstances? That, I guess, I don't understand, and that, I guess, is why it would be answered (depending on who made the statement) by me on occasion.

Also... I think sometimes people feel that disagreement is attack or offense. For me, disagreement is simply disagreement. I've posted several times only to find out that my disagreement was an "attack," simply because my perspective was opposite the other person's. :001_huh: I am left, once again, scratching my head. On this forum, of all places, to have disagreement be labeled attack or a different perspective labeled offensive makes me just drop my jaw.

I have tons to say about why I feel the public schools, in general, are doing only a mediocre job. Lots to say about the least common denominator, lots to say about school reform and educating those on the both ends of typically developing (special ed, gifted ed). Lots of criticism. And I would not hesitate to voice it here, should I feel so moved, even with a kid in the system and even if it sparked discussion with some coming to a conclusion that did not match with mine.

I even disagree with Bill about the article that was posted. Why wouldn't we read and discuss, agree and disagree? Sure, some of it was offensive. But it was a great discussion. If the OP of that thread hadn't posted, would some have known this effort was afoot? Knowledge is power, after all, and disagreeing and formulating coherent argument, having your argument countered and then either revising your position based on new perspective or strengthening your argument and honing your logic is never a bad thing.

If we have a growth mindset, every new bit of info, every opportunity to hone and refine and revisit our most cherished beliefs is a chance for personal development. I've loved that about these boards. I am always puzzled when this part of the experience here is eschewed by some.

"As iron sharpeneth iron, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." This place doesn't always validate me, it challenges me and refines me even (and sometimes especially) when it does not make me particularly comfortable on any given day. And that's never a bad thing. I would hope that others would find that part of the joy of this community as well.

Because it is a *homeschooling* board. Support for homeschooling - including an anti public/private school sentiment - should be expected and allowed.

And support FOR alternatives to homeschool should be allowed. It's a two-way street. Yes, it's a homeschool board. I'm grateful for this opportunity to homeschool my children. That doesn't give us the right to be nasty to those who choose otherwise. If someone chooses to be anti-establishment, debate should also be expected and allowed. Any topic, there will be at least two different perspectives. Debate should be appreciated, not squelched.

It's saddens me to see how often they're criticized here. Rather than putting down the ps system to show why homeschool is better, why not homeschool our children and 1) keep our mouths shut; or 2) find a solution for a better education system.

. . . . that criticism is a necessary form of support. In other words, if we do not identify problems, they can't be corrected. The public school system in my county is in desperate need of correction. The teachers are woefully undereducated, the infrastructure is inadequate, and the institutions cannot possibly deal with all of the problems created by neglectful and abusive parenting (which is higher in our county than in surrounding counties). I don't waste much time talking about it here, because you guys can't do anything about it, but I do think honest and unblushing criticism of an institution one supports is a necessary component to supporting it. How else will the state be forced to hire (or train) better teachers if no one points out how bad they are?

If you (generic "you" there) can't tolerate criticism, critique, or questions (whether "you" are an individual or an institution), you're in a very bad spot indeed. The act of asking a question or offering a legitimate criticism is not "unsupportive," and if you (still that generic you) need require the complete absence of questions and criticisms to be/feel "supported," you are a tyrant.

Mocking and deriding is a different animal entirely, however, and I agree with you that they serve no purpose.

And support FOR alternatives to homeschool should be allowed. It's a two-way street. Yes, it's a homeschool board. I'm grateful for this opportunity to homeschool my children. That doesn't give us the right to be nasty to those who choose otherwise. If someone chooses to be anti-establishment, debate should also be expected and allowed. Any topic, there will be at least two different perspectives. Debate should be appreciated, not squelched.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. If this was a public school forum, the level of hostility that would be directed at any home school parent who dared to post would be far greater than any level of hostility found on this board. Education is not a two-way street when it comes to home schooling. There are more generalizations and assumptions made about home schooled children and their families than I can count, and for the most part they are terribly unfair.

On the other hand, there are plenty of studies and statistics that show that the public school system is failing. There are numerous books investigating the reasons and possible solutions - it is a debate that reaches the highest levels of government in Washington. Our tax dollars are being spent to educate children, and the result is far from stellar.

Now, just for a moment, consider the amount of fair press that home schooled children get. There isn't much. The media is always quick to point out the abberrations - children who are allegedly home schooled who have been abused or neglected. Where is that same coverage for the home schooled kids who win the spelling and geography bees, or get a free ride to Harvard, or write books at age 15, or volunteer, or start businesses...the list is endless, and nobody hears a word about them.

There is a bias against home schoolers, and there is a double standard when it comes to home schooling and public education. If home schoolers can't vent or give their opinion about public school here without being criticized or chastised, then that's plain-out hypocrisy.

There is a bias against home schoolers, and there is a double standard when it comes to home schooling and public education. If home schoolers can't vent or give their opinion about public school here without being criticized or chastised, then that's plain-out hypocrisy.

Therein lies my opinion to support the public school system. They (principal, friends on PTA board, former teachers) support my decision to homeschool and have offered hands-on guidance, if needed. I feel it's my responsibility to support their educating of our neighborhood children. If we felt criticized I might feel some anger and likelihood to condemn ps. There ARE good public schools just like there are poor homeschool parents. I wish every child could receive the education due him/her, but people are flawed, our overall educational system is flawed. This still shouldn't give us carte blanche to demean those who choose a different form of education. If we do this, it's an all-out war on personal choice. Is one curriculum better than another. If you use HS curriculum A are you a superior parent than those cho choose HS curriculum B? Should be mock unschoolers? Parochial schools? At what point does it become ridiculous? Personal?

To voice any criticism on the internet is to ask for differing opinions.

It seems to me there are at least three different types of comments being talked about in this thread:

1. Responses to posters struggling with whether or not to continue homeschooling.

2. Posts about one's personal experiences with public schools or about the public schools in one's area.

3. Broader comments about public schools, public school teachers, and public school students.

I took Joanne's original post to be dealing with #1, but I might be reading this in part through the filter of some earlier posts of hers that called out #1 more explicitly. If I understand correctly, she would like to see homeschooling be the default on the board, with public school never or only rarely suggested as a solution to a homeschooling or family problem.

I don't see #2 as an issue. It seems to me that posters are supportive of those having difficulties with specific public schools. Certainly, if posters don't feel that they can share those experiences here, I think we have a problem.

I think the real disagreement comes from #3. Some posters seem to feel that any criticism of public schooling, no matter how generalized or extreme, should be received without opposition because this is a homeschooling board. Other posters disagree.

We would probably have a better discussion of the issues around #1 if we could separate it out from the discussion of #3.

It seems to me there are at least three different types of comments being talked about in this thread:

1. Responses to posters struggling with whether or not to continue homeschooling.

2. Posts about one's personal experiences with public schools or about the public schools in one's area.

3. Broader comments about public schools, public school teachers, and public school students.

I took Joanne's original post to be dealing with #1, but I might be reading this in part through the filter of some earlier posts of hers that called out #1 more explicitly. If I understand correctly, she would like to see homeschooling be the default on the board, with public school never or only rarely suggested as a solution to a homeschooling or family problem.

I don't see #2 as an issue. It seems to me that posters are supportive of those having difficulties with specific public schools. Certainly, if posters don't feel that they can share those experiences here, I think we have a problem.

I think the real disagreement comes from #3. Some posters seem to feel that any criticism of public schooling, no matter how generalized or extreme, should be received without opposition because this is a homeschooling board. Other posters disagree.

We would probably have a better discussion of the issues around #1 if we could separate it out from the discussion of #3.

There is a lucrative career in mediation for someone with your skills. :) You succinctly stated the many dissenting views into three sentences. Have you considered your next job after homeschool super mom?!

I wish every child could receive the education due him/her, but people are flawed, our overall educational system is flawed. This still shouldn't give us carte blanche to demean those who choose a different form of education. If we do this, it's an all-out war on personal choice.

Criticism of the public school system in this country is not a personal attack. Criticizing what goes on in public schools, i.e. the bullying, the lack of supervision, the peer pressure, is also not a personal attack. Unfortunately, most of the criticisms that home schooling receives are more personal, i.e. calling us Jesus-freaks, losers, reality-evaders, whatever. If someone wants to criticize a home school curriculum and say it doesn't work, that's not a personal attack, although my personal response would be - show me the data to support your opinion.

My point is that, and this has been my experience with people who work in the public school system, any criticism of the public school system is taken as a personal attack, and in retaliation, personal attacks are launched on home schoolers. Sorry, but the home schooling movement has the success stats on its side. Not to mention the fact that the average home schooled pupil can be sufficiently educated at a cost of a few hundred dollars per year - an eye-popping difference from the $7000 currently being allotted per pupil in public school in my area. I'm proud to be a home schooler and I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to follow my heart with it - but I'm also a taxpayer, and where I see waste and potential for improvement, I'm not going to remain silent.

Therein lies my opinion to support the public school system. They (principal, friends on PTA board, former teachers) support my decision to homeschool and have offered hands-on guidance, if needed. I feel it's my responsibility to support their educating of our neighborhood children. If we felt criticized I might feel some anger and likelihood to condemn ps. There ARE good public schools just like there are poor homeschool parents. I wish every child could receive the education due him/her, but people are flawed, our overall educational system is flawed. This still shouldn't give us carte blanche to demean those who choose a different form of education. If we do this, it's an all-out war on personal choice.

...and I don't believe I have a responsibility to support someone's failing efforts just because they happen to support my successful ones. I don't have to be angry and resentful to my family to not support their bad choices. i already support them w/ my tax dollars and vote in their elections.

and part of the freedom of personal choice is the freedom to not have to support everyone's choices ;)

I think Melinda did a great job untangling the issues, and I agree w/ most of what Highereducation has said.

Public schools receive millions of dollars in support for their cause. They have an extremely strong union that does an extremely good job of attacking, degrading, and demoralizing homeschooling.

Public schools have lawyers, senators, and court systems that support them. They get all the support that they need. What do homeschoolers have as support?

As long as there are senators and courts that will support public school, then there needs to be a place where homeschoolers can complain, degrade, and demoralize public school.

So, it's okay to do it because someone else does it to us? Is that really how we justify our actions? As I said elsewhere, I expect more out of homeschoolers. If anything that shows a bias toward homeschooling, but that's the way it is.

--------------

Someone else (with a unicorn icon maybe? can't remember) asked where folks could go to complain about public schools if not a homeschool board. I would answer that complaints about public schools would do the most good when given to the school, the school board, and on up the chain right down to how you vote. You could picket. You could start a letter writing campaign. You could volunteer to help make a change. Don't just complain; do something if the situation so moves you.

-----------------

As to the posts encouraging someone who has already determined to put their child in ps, well, I've written a few of those. I don't just recommend that someone give up homeschooling when the going gets rough. In fact, I know there have been quite a few times when I both encouraged someone to stick it out and try changing a few things and also told them that if ps was what they eventually decided to do that their kid would be okay. Why write posts like that? Because I know from personal experience how hard it can be to make the switch from homeschool to public school even when you know that is what is best for your family, know your kids will be fine, and when no one is persecuting you for your decision.

I have also known people who have been ostracized by former friends because of their decision to stop homeschooling. I've also known some of those who persecuted or ostracized those people, and you'd better believe I let those IRL people know what I thought about it just like I would on this board. It's extremely hard to stop doing something you've put so much of your heart and soul into for such a long time. Feeling you're losing every friend you've made along the way because of a decision to do what you feel is best for your family is a very lonely place to be. Perhaps it is because we live in such a homeschool friendly area, but I have not seen public school people ostracize a friend who chooses to homeschool the way I've seen homeschoolers shun a homeschooler who decides to put the kids in ps. It can get very ugly. (In my case, I always avoided getting too close to people who seemed so judgemental and nasty, so I didn't have that problem.) So, yes, I offer my support to people struggling with that decision and try to give them encouragement to do whatever is best in their situation--whether that is continuing to homeschool or putting their child in public school.

I absolutely agree with Tracy in TX. (Gosh, I think it was her.) Those public school kids--past, present, and future--make up the majority of our citizenry at this time. They are not all rotten, nor are they doomed. Their parents and teachers are not all horrible, lazy, stupid, or any other adjective we may wish to apply.

These are our neighbors and sometimes friends. (Hello, my name is Jenni. My kids go to public school, and I would like to be your friend.:D) I wonder if such generalizations would fly if they were about race or religion. Surely we would all recognize those comments as ignorant and bigoted. Why is it wrong to point out when the same thing is being done in other categories? Why study logic and then throw it completely out the window whenever it comes to homeschool vs public school? Why must public school be bad in order for homeschool to be good or vice versa?

Why do we feel the need to justify our own parenting/schooling decisions by putting someone else's down? When I first started homeschooling, I did look at it a little as an us vs them sort of thing. I was incredibly insecure. (I was only 23 and immature and insecure in many areas, homeschool just being one of them.) As I became more confident about the choice we had made and how we were doing, I became less critical of others. Were there suddenly no reports of bad things happening in public schools? Of course not. The difference was that I was able to take them as the individual (no matter the number, Peek) instances and I did not need them as proof that I was right in my own decision.

If folks want to continue bashing ps here, that's fine by me. They should expect to receive criticism for it though. I'm sure they'll receive support too. I've been phasing out my board use slowly (and then going through spurts of absolute addiction) and I think it would be best for me to continue that since these discussions take up far too much of my time and energy. Because of that, the criticism for those types of posts may not come from me, but by golly I hope someone (like one of the many who have posted in this and the other thread) is here to call it what it is.

Ya know what?

Hooray for homeschooling parents who are choosing to do the very best they can to nurture their children's bodies, hearts, minds, and spirits!

Hooray for private school parents who are choosing to do the very best they can to nurture their children's bodies, hearts, minds, and spirits!

Hooray for public school parents who are choosing to do the very best they can to nurture their children's bodies, hearts, minds, and spirits!

Hooray for every parent everywhere who loves their children and does their best to provide for their every need.

:party:

You ALL have my support in doing that.

Do we all feel sufficiently blessed and encouraged to continue seeking the best for our children now? Gosh, I hope so.:D

I have a dd in school for the first time this year. I still do not believe ps is a positive place overall, and I have no problems when people discuss the problems with the ps system.

Yes, I feel like we got lucky. In her ps, they actually PRAY every morning. Ask me how they get away with it and I couldn't tell ya, but they do. And they aren't quiet about it. Yes, it's silent prayer, but it is PRAYER, and they call it that. It's strict and conservative, and I feel like we are lucky because she has wanted it for YEARS and I wanted her to have that chance.

However, my overall opinion and experience with the ps system has been negative. I hated school. I never intended for any of my children to go to school. In 15 years, she is the first, and she will be the last. I honestly think that if our experiences with our home school group had been more positive, she never would've gone. She just NEEDS people around her. Our hs group has gotten so judgmental and hypocritical that it just wasn't working for us at all.

Anyway, that was a lot of ramble to say that you SHOULD, for all intents and purposes, be able to talk of ps negatives on this board. I mean we have to get it out somewhere!! :tongue_smilie:

I wonder if such generalizations would fly if they were about race or religion. Surely we would all recognize those comments as ignorant and bigoted. Why is it wrong to point out when the same thing is being done in other categories? Why study logic and then throw it completely out the window whenever it comes to homeschool vs public school? Why must public school be bad in order for homeschool to be good or vice versa?

Why do we feel the need to justify our own parenting/schooling decisions by putting someone else's down? When I first started homeschooling, I did look at it a little as an us vs them sort of thing. I was incredibly insecure. (I was only 23 and immature and insecure in many areas, homeschool just being one of them.) As I became more confident about the choice we had made and how we were doing, I became less critical of others. Were there suddenly no reports of bad things happening in public schools? Of course not. The difference was that I was able to take them as the individual (no matter the number, Peek) instances and I did not need them as proof that I was right in my own decision. :party:

You ALL have my support in doing that.

Do we all feel sufficiently blessed and encouraged to continue seeking the best for our children now? Gosh, I hope so.:D

In the interests of time and space, I'm only going to address one part of your post.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, everyone is free to make decisions about what is best for his/her children, etc. If free speech doesn't exist for everyone, then it doesn't exist at all.

However, as far as the statement I bolded above, reverse the order and then present it to the teachers' unions, who as we speak, are viewing our right to home school as something that should be abolished. The same people who question our abilities as parents, our abilities as teachers, and our ability to enjoy the freedom to bring up our children as we see fit. The same people who campaign and enlist our legislators to make it virtually impossible for home schooling to flourish and grow.

I'd love to hear their response.

Public education is a relatively new animal. Home schooling, on the other hand, was once the norm. The family was once the core of greater society; now people who spend the majority of time with their children have disparaging terms thrown at them, such as "helicopter parents," "stifling" and "out of touch with reality." Home schoolers are subjected to painstaking scrutiny while failing public school systems have more money thrown at them to "fix" whatever is broken.

My criticisms of public education have nothing to do with immaturity or insecurity. They are a result of unfortunate personal experiences and information that is received firsthand from friends who are teachers and administrators. I give those criticisms not from an ivory tower but as a taxpaying member of society who hopes for better, especially when I am able to give my own child such rich and promising opportunities to learn.

And yes, I have my back up towards some of the people involved in public education. I'm sick of home schooling being attacked. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. When they're able to show - via results, not pointless pilot programs - that the American public education system can be competitive with the rest of the world, then maybe I'll listen to what they have to say about home schooling with a more receptive ear. Until then, I'll continue to fight fire with fire and remain unapologetic about my attitude toward public education.

I do think there is a difference between being truly respectful vs being simply polite. But since this is a discussion board, there is a lot of room for discussion of differences in opinion as opposed to being simply polite and keeping my mouth shut to the mom i pass in the grocery store or at the park.

So true. This idea that we have to be respectful of every cockamamie thing in the universe is, wait for it, STUPID. There is ample evidence in this thread alone that NO ONE is walking this walk no matter how much they love to talk about it. :rolleyes:

So, it's okay to do it because someone else does it to us? Is that really how we justify our actions? As I said elsewhere, I expect more out of homeschoolers. If anything that shows a bias toward homeschooling, but that's the way it is.

no, it's not ok to do it 'just because' someone else does it to us. I fully agree there should be facts behind complaints. And there are in this instance. Lots of 'em.

I would answer that complaints about public schools would do the most good when given to the school, the school board, and on up the chain right down to how you vote. You could picket. You could start a letter writing campaign. You could volunteer to help make a change. Don't just complain; do something if the situation so moves you.

That sounds great, and I'm betting many peiople like me DO that. School board meetings are no picnic. I'm also aware that there are a LOT of smart people in the system out there working to remedy the problems they already know they have, and unfortunately the manymanymany ideas and programs already tried in schools across the nation haven't led to much of a lowering of negative social interactions at schools. In the meantime, I'll focus on keeping my-- and others' -- kids out of the system till they figure it out.

and also told them that if ps was what they eventually decided to do that their kid would be okay.

I'm finding out more and more that one person's definition of 'okay' and another's can be vastly different. That's one reason i spell out the possible negatives: to make sure they are REALLY ready for those too.

I have also known people who have been ostracized by former friends because of their decision to stop homeschooling. I've also known some of those who persecuted or ostracized those people, ..... Feeling you're losing every friend you've made along the way because of a decision to do what you feel is best for your family is a very lonely place to be. Perhaps it is because we live in such a homeschool friendly area, but I have not seen public school people ostracize a friend who chooses to homeschool the way I've seen homeschoolers shun a homeschooler who decides to put the kids in ps. It can get very ugly. (In my case, I always avoided getting too close to people who seemed so judgemental and nasty, so I didn't have that problem.)

I've seen it both ways.

HSLDA doesn't adopt a resolution that public school is absolutely wrong [like the NEA does about homeschooling], so I've seen a bit more ostracization from the school side to the homeschoolers. There also tends to be less and less in common when the school choices are that different and each family gets sucked in to that other world-- esp for school parents cuz there's so much to keep up with and things to do. So I've seen more 'parting of ways' than i have severe shunning. I have acquaintances of all stripes, and am very careful about who gets to be classified as a Real Friend. But there are jerks in every group. Even homeschoolers, and even Christians ;)

I absolutely agree with Tracy in TX. (Gosh, I think it was her.) Those public school kids--past, present, and future--make up the majority of our citizenry at this time. They are not all rotten, nor are they doomed.

nobody said they are ALL rotten-- but the criminal justice system, welfare roles, and juvenile detention centers are NOT made up primarily of homeschoolers.

Their parents and teachers are not all horrible, lazy, stupid, or any other adjective we may wish to apply.

I'm sure not ALL of them are, but I reserve the right to call it like i see it WHEN i see it.

I wonder if such generalizations would fly if they were about race or religion. Surely we would all recognize those comments as ignorant and bigoted. Why is it wrong to point out when the same thing is being done in other categories? Why study logic and then throw it completely out the window whenever it comes to homeschool vs public school? Why must public school be bad in order for homeschool to be good or vice versa?

which generalizations?? the ones based on actual numbers, studies, reports, and observations? No, not all comments are ignorant, and not all are bigoted. Just cuz a comment may hurt someone's feelings doesn't make it ignorant, bigoted, or a generalization. And it's just fine to point out that not ALL schools suck, as long as you realize that the schools themselves realize they are dealing w/ a HUGE problem and are trying desperately to correct it, w/ little success.

Public schooling doesn't "have" to be bad for homeschooling to be good. That's the wrong logic. The logic being utilized is that public schooling IS far too often a bad place for correct socialization and great academics. That's part of what led to homeschooling, not vice-versa.

Why do we feel the need to justify our own parenting/schooling decisions by putting someone else's down? When I first started homeschooling, I did look at it a little as an us vs them sort of thing. I was incredibly insecure. (I was only 23 and immature and insecure in many areas, homeschool just being one of them.) As I became more confident about the choice we had made and how we were doing, I became less critical of others. Were there suddenly no reports of bad things happening in public schools? Of course not. The difference was that I was able to take them as the individual (no matter the number, Peek) instances and I did not need them as proof that I was right in my own decision. ]

well, there's a difference between "needing to justify" our schooling choices and reminding ourselves why we chose that course in the first place. Back to the logic: The bad state of A is what caused B, we didn't have to invent A as suddenly being bad to make B look palatable.

i started out homeschooling as incredibly comfortable and secure, and generally speaking still am. Usually :) I don't have to see it as an 'us vs them" thing, but neither will I ignore the obvious problems --that YES, are absolutely so great in number that the individual problems themselves become a long stream of offenses. I'm 34-- so I'm sure that by some standards I'm still a baby --but the more I learn the less i feel like putting up w/ other people's bad choices, especially when it affects children. But i think that tends to come more from personal ideology than age.

I don't have to hate the people in the schools to hate the problems inherent in the system. And it is those problems that I will continue to bring up when the subject arises. Y'all can call it bashing, I simply look at it as staying informed of all the bases. And don't worry, I'm sure there ARE plenty who will continue for you :)

In the interests of time and space, I'm only going to address one part of your post.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, everyone is free to make decisions about what is best for his/her children, etc. If free speech doesn't exist for everyone, then it doesn't exist at all.

However, as far as the statement I bolded above, reverse the order and then present it to the teachers' unions, who as we speak, are viewing our right to home school as something that should be abolished. The same people who question our abilities as parents, our abilities as teachers, and our ability to enjoy the freedom to bring up our children as we see fit. The same people who campaign and enlist our legislators to make it virtually impossible for home schooling to flourish and grow.

I'd love to hear their response.

Public education is a relatively new animal. Home schooling, on the other hand, was once the norm. The family was once the core of greater society; now people who spend the majority of time with their children have disparaging terms thrown at them, such as "helicopter parents," "stifling" and "out of touch with reality." Home schoolers are subjected to painstaking scrutiny while failing public school systems have more money thrown at them to "fix" whatever is broken.

My criticisms of public education have nothing to do with immaturity or insecurity. They are a result of unfortunate personal experiences and information that is received firsthand from friends who are teachers and administrators. I give those criticisms not from an ivory tower but as a taxpaying member of society who hopes for better, especially when I am able to give my own child such rich and promising opportunities to learn.

And yes, I have my back up towards some of the people involved in public education. I'm sick of home schooling being attacked. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. When they're able to show - via results, not pointless pilot programs - that the American public education system can be competitive with the rest of the world, then maybe I'll listen to what they have to say about home schooling with a more receptive ear. Until then, I'll continue to fight fire with fire and remain unapologetic about my attitude toward public education.

I think people should criticize all they like. When they criticize on a discussion board, though, I think it's reasonable to assume that their criticism will be discussed. Some of the discussion will be agreement. Some will be disagreement. It's all good. It all refines our thinking and hones our logic and clarifies our respective positions.

I think people should criticize all they like. When they criticize on a discussion board, though, I think it's reasonable to assume that their criticism will be discussed. Some of the discussion will be agreement. Some will be disagreement. It's all good. It all refines our thinking and hones our logic and clarifies our respective positions.

I keep going back to the OP, which is titled "I wish to discuss support for homeschooling..." Support for homeschooling and support for anti-public school sentiment are two different issues. There are many of us on this board who do not believe that one must necessarily follow the other. I don't see many posters in this forum saying public schools are perfectly peachy and asking why in heaven's name would one choose to homeschool. That, to me, would constitute lack of support for homeschooling.

It seems to me that what's really being asked is not that we support homeschooling, but that posters be able to post criticisms of public schools, public school teachers, and public school parents unchallenged, without discussion.

"ITA" gets really boring really quickly.

Cat

They have an extremely strong union that does an extremely good job of attacking, degrading, and demoralizing homeschooling.

Can't say it's an extremely good job since I've never felt the least bit attacked, degraded, and demoralized about homeschooling. By anyone. No one can demoralize you without your consent.

What the...? I'd have to twist my brain into a pretzel to try and find the logic in that statement. As long as this person or that group has support, I "need" a place to degrade them? Well, okee-dokee, go ahead and complain and degrade and wring your hands ~ but don't be surprised when intelligent people express a desire to engage you in response.

(P)ublic school has everything and homeschoolers have nothing.

Everything? Versus nothing? My, oh my. You feel that as a homeschooler you have nothing? No support? No encouragement? No advantages over those who don't homeschool?

I have three words for you ~ spoken strongly since you went with that approach yourself:

Get.

Over.

It.

This is not your momma's homeschool. That is to say, these aren't the bygone days when homeschooling was virtually unheard of. When the term "curriculum choices" was an oxymoron. When online classes and connections were non-existent. Is it still a minority choice? Sure it is. But it's a choice we make, in good company, and the fact that we do so doesn't mean we're entitled to an open mic where we can vent and rail against The System.

What I wonder is why do folks with kids in ps hang out here anyway?

I was here for years because I afterschooled my ds and there was a wealth of information on material to help me. Also, because my ds had multiple LD's, I had a wealth of specialized info to share with others.

Now I homeschool full time.

It seems to me that what's really being asked is not that we support homeschooling, but that posters be able to post criticisms of public schools, public school teachers, and public school parents unchallenged, without discussion.

"ITA" gets really boring really quickly.

That would not be accurate. It's my perception that the board "tone" and culturally held policy is that we have a neutral "what works best for your family" stand.

I find that incompatible with the reasons many of us choose to homeschool. On a *homeschooling board*, I would personally prefer the "space" to post anti institutional school rhetoric. I rarely do; I won't increase the frequency, but I would have preferred (on a homeschooling board) the expectation that people can choose to homeschool based on the merits of homeschooling AND have strong feelings about public/private/pre school that they are not reminded to mitigate.

I've been on these boards long enough to see the bashing and attacks some individuals have recieved when they announce they have to stop home schooling for any reason. Sometimes it was even vicious.

Luckily I haven't seen that level of attack in a long time. Today the boards are generally supportive of this type of decision, but I'm always afraid the attacks may return. Especially because the day may come when I have to announce I'm sending my ds back to school.

So when I see a long string of "all public schools are @#&%$#@" posts, or a particularly harsh condemnation I will defend the public schools. I know there are many good public schools. I also know there are many poor to down right awful schools. But I also know that my ds would drive any teacher in a typical classroom situation batty and I won't subject the teacher (or ds) to that torture if at all possible. :)

This thread is certainly interesting and I have enjoyed it, but I fail to understand one basic premise that is repeated ad nauseum. This is that I should somehow "respect" the decisions of some parents to send their children to PS. Why??? I believe it is ill-advised.

For most (and as always there are exceptions in the cases of truly superb schools, technical requirements or children with special needs), I may understand this decision and I may feel genuine sorrow when some parents have no choice but to send their children to a PS, but why should I respect it?

There is a world of difference between supporting a parent's right to make a choice and respecting that choice.

As a HSer I made a thoughtful and reasoned decision to HS. This was based, in large, on the disaster that is the US PS system. I speak not only of education, but discipline, morality and basic coping skills. Again, without examining the exception that makes the rule, it is hard to describe the PS system as anything but an unmitigated failure. This is not being mean, this is being honest.

Given the above why would I respect anyone's decision to send their children to those places? In my view it is a mistake.

I view the PS system as a major cause (but certainly not the only or most damaging one)of the malaise that has settled over this nation. Whereas there was a time when PSs strived to turn out hard working, educated and valued citizens who possessed a sense of history, patriotism and morality, that time is gone. Not to speak out against PSs is to hold my tongue when I see a wrong being committed on a national scale.

If someone is offended by this, so be it. Defend PSs and that which they are letting loose on our society, but don't tell me that I am being mean.

Finally there are, as I see it, three areas where respect might be applied in this discussion.

1. Respect, or as I would argue support, a parentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s right to make the decision. Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Absolutely

2. Respect the decision. I am sorry, with the exception of the rare case, no. I do not respect the decision.

3. Respect the individual. Unless given reason to believe otherwise...Absolutely.

Edited by pqr

Joanne,

:iagree:I agree with you. I did not read all the other posts. I am expressing my opinion. If this board is a majority homeschool board, it should be safe to make statements against public schools.

Wow. You got spanked. ;) That'll learn you to express an opinion. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I totally get your point.

It's my perception that the board "tone" and culturally held policy is that we have a neutral "what works best for your family" stand.

If that is where many people stand, it is their stand. Are they wrong for that opinion?

I find that incompatible with the reasons many of us choose to homeschool.

There are how many people that post here? Some hold a "whatever works for your family" stand and others don't. Simple enough, I think.

On a *homeschooling board*, I would personally prefer the "space" to post anti institutional school rhetoric.

You can post it all you want. And others will respond that they agree and others will respond that they don't. Some will think you're being unfair to schools, ps parents, ps students. Others will believe you're right on.

I wouldn't expect a homeschooling board to automatically include only people who are anti-ps. I would expect it to be pro-homeschooling to a huge degree; but there is an incredible difference in being pro-homeschooling and being anti-other-schooling.

If someone is offended by this, so be it. Defend PSs and that which they are letting loose on our society, but don't tell me that I am being mean.

I think it perfectly okay for you to have this opinion. And btw, I more agree than disagree.

But never in your post did you suggest that someone else didn't have the right to disagree with you publicly. I think it is silly (at very least) to suppose that because this is a homeschool board, everyone should only post agreement with anti-ps rhetoric.

Anyway, from the title of this thread....I'll definitely discuss supporting homeschooling. I think almost everyone on this board would. I will choose my own side (tyvm) on the ps bashing and will continue to expect everyone else to also.

That would not be accurate. It's my perception that the board "tone" and culturally held policy is that we have a neutral "what works best for your family" stand.

I find that incompatible with the reasons many of us choose to homeschool. On a *homeschooling board*, I would personally prefer the "space" to post anti institutional school rhetoric. I rarely do; I won't increase the frequency, but I would have preferred (on a homeschooling board) the expectation that people can choose to homeschool based on the merits of homeschooling AND have strong feelings about public/private/pre school that they are not reminded to mitigate.

It appears to me that in asking for anti-institutional school "space" you are asking that those of us who do not (completely) care to jump on the anti-institutional school wagon *not* participate in discussions or share our opinions and experiences. And that sharing those opinions and experiences somehow constitutes lack of support for homeschooling.

Joanne, I am asking, sincerely...not arguing or being snotty: If that's not what you're asking, I am genuinely confused as to your intent, then. Do you mind explaining further?

FWIW, I appreciate and mostly agree with threads which thoughtfully examine the pitfalls and negative aspects of group education and institutional schooling. I also believe that those threads also benefit from discussion which includes the viewpoints of those who do not agree wholeheartedly. That's my bias.

Cat

"I would personally prefer the "space" to post anti institutional school rhetoric."

(LOL, I feel like I'm entering a constitutional debate by mentioning "The Founders". ;-)

But in all seriousness...is that what the board's purpose is, according to its founders?

"For general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, etc., etc.,...or for just hanging out and reading." (We've strayed from the 'classical' part, too...should that be considered the default?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of TWTM's writers say that if a good school had been available, she would have utilized it? I'm sure that's the same thing many homeschoolers would say; not all have the same basic philosophy.

I homeschool, in part, because I believe the whole institution of public education is suspect. As a method, I don't agree with it. My answers to posters are going to reflect that, and in, what...nine years?...of posting, I don't believe I've ever had the thought that my philosophy was the only one, and I don't think I've ever shied away from expressing that, when it was appropriate. I do temper my responses with the occasional "I believe", or "Your mileage may vary", but I do that with regards to other parenting beliefs, too, just out of a courtesy and realization that this is a diverse place.

Too many homeschoolers opt out of mainstream education for too many reasons to put a 'default' on any 'general' homeschooling board, IMO, and if it doesn't even reflect the original purpose of this one...I don't see how that's a viable option.

Joanne, I'm with you on the "Let's find homeschooling answers to homeschooling questions" part of your post. I've always appreciated your input in threads that call for responses about that sort of thing, and I'll try and be more vocal about that in the future.

Why not just keep on doing what you're doing?

I I think it is silly (at very least) to suppose that because this is a homeschool board, everyone should only post agreement with anti-ps rhetoric..

I am in full agreement. This is a discussion board and all sides should discuss their opinions freely and vocally.

When you read the book TWTM, it is clearly a book about rigorous education. I am almost certain I remember a statement by Jessie in the book, about how if a school had existed to give her children that excellent education, they'd have been in it. TWTM exists to give parents a way to provide their children with a rigorous education in the home, when the schools cannot.

Yes, it's a homeschooling book. But yes, it's a book about rigorous, excellent education. This *is* a homeschooling board, though the inclusion of an afterschooling board should be a clue that it was always meant to be supportive of positive education choices, across the board.

I think that a group such as this can either stand for rigorous education, or for homeschooling. If a group stands for rigorous education, they must accept rigorous, excellent education done outside the home, and they must take a stand against more relaxed methods.

If a group stands for homeschooling first and foremost, they must accept more relaxed methods, but take a stand against institutionalized schooling.

On the TWTM boards, we have a large and vocal group of each, each of which thinks it's the voice and heart of the board.

And, um, what Jill said.

If the hs decision were as black and white as the op and many other posters seem to believe, it would be easy to choose home-schooling and we may not need a 'support' board.

If ALL public schools were horrendous and no one was learning and everyone was bullied and all the teachers were ignorant, nasty child-abusers ... there'd be no debate. No second-guessing ourselves. Who would send their child to a place like that?

The problem is that in my area it's not that simple. Like it or not, many schools DO teach children to read quite well. Many ps children are able to do high-level math and pass AP Calculus exams and participate in fantastic athletic programs and Bible clubs and musical theatre performances and do lab science and discuss literature. Many students like school and meet other nice kids there. Many teachers are well-educated, hard-working, thoughtful people. (I'm not making this up!)Sorry, couldn't avoid a tiny jab...

And yes, I am aware that many schools/teachers/students/principals are very, very bad. The problem is that all the good is mixed in with the bad.

And so, I have a decision to make. And that is why I need support. I don't find it helpful to pretend that all schools are worthless. For me, the challenge is weighing the pros and cons of each. I need to take an honest, accurate look at each option.

A board dominated by folks who won't take off the blinders to see the negatives of home-schooling and the positives of public schools is not helpful to me or worth my tiny daily dose of computer time.

And so, I have a decision to make. And that is why I need support. I don't find it helpful to pretend that all schools are worthless. For me, the challenge is weighing the pros and cons of each. I need to take an honest, accurate look at each option.

A board dominated by folks who won't take off the blinders to see the negatives of home-schooling and the positives of public schools is not helpful to me or worth my tiny daily dose of computer time.

Eh, stay. I was here for years while one of mine was (by enthusiastic choice) in boarding school. I didn't get any grief for it.

It's a good place to hang out. Stay. Enjoy. Find your place. It sounds like you're quite comfortable with the fact that not everyone is like you and that not everyone will agree with every single little thing you do or say. You'll be fine. There are good people here. (Even those with whom you disagree in this thread are good, helpful people who just happen to disagree on this particular issue. Really.)

If that's what you think this board is then the choice looks pretty easy.

Should I stay or should I go now?

Stay, msjones.

There is far more valuable information here than negative junk, in my opinion.

Just skip the junk.

By the way, just today my older son and I visited the local junior high and enrolled him full time for the second semester of this school year. I have no doubt that folks here will realize how much thought Jeffrey and I put into the decision to change the path of his education, and I know I will continue to get an amazing amount of support as I progress with the homeschooling of my younger son.

Edited to clarify that I am not referring to the opinions in this post as 'junk'.

Edited by Crissy

When you read the book TWTM, it is clearly a book about rigorous education. I am almost certain I remember a statement by Jessie in the book, about how if a school had existed to give her children that excellent education, they'd have been in it. TWTM exists to give parents a way to provide their children with a rigorous education in the home, when the schools cannot.

Yes, it's a homeschooling book. But yes, it's a book about rigorous, excellent education. This *is* a homeschooling board, though the inclusion of an afterschooling board should be a clue that it was always meant to be supportive of positive education choices, across the board.

I think that a group such as this can either stand for rigorous education, or for homeschooling. If a group stands for rigorous education, they must accept rigorous, excellent education done outside the home, and they must take a stand against more relaxed methods.

If a group stands for homeschooling first and foremost, they must accept more relaxed methods, but take a stand against institutionalized schooling.

On the TWTM boards, we have a large and vocal group of each, each of which thinks it's the voice and heart of the board.

And, um, what Jill said.

:iagree: with you Stephanie. And with Jill. If anything there should probably be more criticism that there isn't more of a focus on *classical* (or at least darn rigorous) education here. That seems more inline with WTM purposes than pure homeschooling. MHO and all that. ;)

Yeesh, people.

My post and content does not mean:

1) I don't welcome and value people with children in public (or other) school.

2) I wish to quash discussion that does not agree with me.

3) I think that everyone needs to homeschool for the same reasons and with the same intensity.

4) I don't value diversity.

I *think* that part of what I'm reacting to are 2 related issues. One is that *this* community has aged, matured and grown. Our children have gotten older and we've, as families, faced challenges to homeschooling that come with growing kids, challenged families, etc. Indeed, my own situation involves a public school possibility. As we have grown, the dimensions, scope and experience has broadened. And some of the brightness of idealism has worn down with time.

Related to that, homeschooling has grown since I started. A lot. It has gotten exposure, media, press and an explosion of resources, vendors, etc. With that comes a change in the commonalities. While I've never really matched the older stereotype of homeschoolers, I do think that in earlier years, the anti school sentiment was stronger.

Again, I'd like to point out that I *value* discussion; most of you should know that. I try very, very hard to never discourage anyone during tough times of decision. I have, to my knowledge, nearly always been respectful when someone needs to make a decision that is a change from homeschool. I rarely make broad, sweeping, staunchly negative posts about public school.