Menu

I wish to discuss support for homeschooling..........

If anything there should probably be more criticism that there isn't more of a focus on *classical* (or at least darn rigorous) education here. That seems more inline with WTM purposes than pure homeschooling. MHO and all that.

To be classical, you must teach Latin.

And *only* sequential history.

Greek is optional.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hs decision were as black and white as the op and many other posters seem to believe, it would be easy to choose home-schooling and we may not need a 'support' board.

If ALL public schools were horrendous and no one was learning and everyone was bullied and all the teachers were ignorant, nasty child-abusers ... there'd be no debate. No second-guessing ourselves. Who would send their child to a place like that?

The problem is that in my area it's not that simple. Like it or not, many schools DO teach children to read quite well. Many ps children are able to do high-level math and pass AP Calculus exams and participate in fantastic athletic programs and Bible clubs and musical theatre performances and do lab science and discuss literature. Many students like school and meet other nice kids there. Many teachers are well-educated, hard-working, thoughtful people. (I'm not making this up!)Sorry, couldn't avoid a tiny jab...

And yes, I am aware that many schools/teachers/students/principals are very, very bad. The problem is that all the good is mixed in with the bad.

And so, I have a decision to make. And that is why I need support. I don't find it helpful to pretend that all schools are worthless. For me, the challenge is weighing the pros and cons of each. I need to take an honest, accurate look at each option.

A board dominated by folks who won't take off the blinders to see the negatives of home-schooling and the positives of public schools is not helpful to me or worth my tiny daily dose of computer time.

Please stay, Mrs. Jones. I couldn't agree more:001_smile:

Kim

But. Supporting homeschooling and supporting public schooling are not mutually exclusive in the minds of everyone on this board. One of the things that I have always valued about this particular community is the variety of experience and opinion. Are you really asking that those of us with children in public schools not express dissenting opinions or share our experiences for fear that we'll be tagged "nice police"?

Cat

Ditto.

By the way, just today my older son and I visited the local junior high and enrolled him full time for the second semester of this school year. I have no doubt that folks here will realize how much thought Jeffrey and I put into the decision to change the path of his education, and I know I will continue to get an amazing amount of support as I progress with the homeschooling of my younger son.[/i]

Crissy,

How exciting! Keep us posted on how he is doing! :)

Or maybe we who homeschool should respect the right of those who choose to educate their children that way, and not be cheerleaders for full-time homeschooling on that board.

Yeah, we should respect that board as a haven for folks schooling that way. I'm not going over there to talk about how wonderful full-time homeschooling is. Interesting, that no homeschoolers ever go over there to give them a hard time about giving all schooling choices an equal voice, even though we are accused of being rabidly against any and all things to do with public schooling.

Maybe it's the case that we homeschoolers aren't as rabid as some make us out to be.

:leaving:

Or maybe we who homeschool should respect the right of those who choose to educate their children that way, and not be cheerleaders for full-time homeschooling on that board.

Yeah, we should respect that board as a haven for folks schooling that way. I'm not going over there to talk about how wonderful full-time homeschooling is. Interesting, that no homeschoolers ever go over there to give them a hard time about giving all schooling choices an equal voice, even though we are accused of being rabidly against any and all things to do with public schooling.

Maybe it's the case that we homeschoolers aren't as rabid as some make us out to be.

:leaving:

Do you feel disrespected by us, Laura?

Do you feel we (the former homeschoolers, the afterschoolers, the people who planned to hs only for a season, the mixed families) are accusing you of being rabidly against any and all things to do with public schooling?

Do we really come over here and say how WONDERFUL it is to no longer be homeschooling, how much we HATED it when we did it, and how GRATEFUL we are that we no longer have to suffer when there's this delightful, perfect, and trouble-free alternative that *you too* can experience, if only your eyes would open to The Truth? Do we sing the praises of the glorious public schools and try to sabotage the efforts at every opportunity? Do we pounce and proselytize?

Do you see us jumping on the K-8 and High School and Special Needs and Acc. Learner Boards and saying, "Psssst. Hey, buddy. We've got the Good Stuff. Over here. You know you want it."? Hardly.

Maybe we public/private/hybrid/afterschoolers aren't nearly as rabid as some would make *us* out to be.

Why oh why is this happening to yet ANOTHER thread?

Come on folks, Joanne started it by saying she wanted to discuss SUPPORT for homeschooling. Clearly, that is the topic at hand. Anything contrary to that would be IMHO a topic hijack! And why does it seem that the same people have to beat a dead horse into the ground? Come on already! You disagree. We know. Let it go or maybe you can start a different thread. Can we now get back to the original OP?

Thanks for letting me vent.

--Mari

Why oh why is this happening to yet ANOTHER thread?

Come on folks, Joanne started it by saying she wanted to discuss SUPPORT for homeschooling. Clearly, that is the topic at hand. Anything contrary to that would be IMHO a topic hijack! And why does it seem that the same people have to beat a dead horse into the ground? Come on already! You disagree. We know. Let it go or maybe you can start a different thread. Can we now get back to the original OP?

Thanks for letting me vent.

--Mari

{{{Mari}}} What a kind post. Thank you. But, I understand. My subject line in comparison to the content of my post are confusing. It really was an issue in this community I wanted to bring up.

It seems that most of the posting members on this topic disagree with my perspective. That's ok.

Come on folks, Joanne started it by saying she wanted to discuss SUPPORT for homeschooling. Clearly, that is the topic at hand. Anything contrary to that would be IMHO a topic hijack!

Clearly, eh? Maybe it's clear to you, Mari, but it sure as heck isn't clear to me ~ and I don't think it's clear to a great many other people. I expect a post that, as per its subject line, expresses a desire to discuss support of homeschooling to do just that: Put forth the ways in which we do (or don't) support homeschooling. That wasn't the case, though. Rather, in the subject portion of her original post, she put forth that:

"we should be able to come to a specific, dedicated board about homeschooling and be able to express an anti public (or private) school bias without being ticketed by the "nice police"."

What I and others have reacted to is the notion that support for homeschooling and the freedom to express anti-school sentiment without disagreement are not interchangeable concepts. To that end, we've very much stayed on topic.

Yes, I know what you and others have reacted too. I don't believe she intended to put forth the idea that no one should disagree. She was simply saying that here, of all places, it should be okay to be able to express anti-traditional school opinions. Holy smokes! Why get so defensive???? Disagreement is okay but why belabor the point? Is it to get the last word? Your reaction, or dare I say MULTIPLE reactions from you and others have indeed hijacked the OP.

--Mari

{{{Mari}}} What a kind post. Thank you. But, I understand. My subject line in comparison to the content of my post are confusing. It really was an issue in this community I wanted to bring up.

I've often posted something and realized later my subject line isn't that relevant to what I'm actually saying in the heart of my post. Or at times, even the heart of my post itself is musing/rambling such that people come along and question me: "What are you even asking? Why are you posting?" and so on. At which point I'm forced to go back and figure out what I meant in the first place.;)

But back to your original post. I do think the subject line and content are somewhat in conflict, and I don't (as is evidenced by my replies in this thread) believe this should be a space in which anti-school comments should simply go unaddressed. As Pam as said, disagreement is just that ~ disagreement ~ and that's not a bad thing.

BUT, I believe I understand the wellspring from which your original thoughts are expressed. I won't try to rephrase or elaborate, but I do get where you were coming from originally.

ETA: Aw, shoot. I just realized I keep spelling your name without the "e" at the end. Kinda like people who forget there are two "l"s and two "e"s in my name. Sorry about that. : )

Edited by Colleen

Yes, I know what you and others have reacted too. I don't believe she intended to put forth the idea that no one should disagree. She was simply saying that here, of all places, it should be okay to be able to express anti-traditional school opinions. Holy smokes! Why get so defensive???? Disagreement is okay but why belabor the point? Is it to get the last word? Your reaction, or dare I say MULTIPLE reactions from you and others have indeed hijacked the OP.

Mari, there's nothing wrong with discussion. And the nature of discussion ~ particularly when it's initiated by remarks that may confuse and/or cause consternation ~ is to go back and forth, to question, to clarify. Well-trained minds enjoy that sort of thing, thus long, meandering threads such as this. Knowing Joann, I seriously doubt she's up-in-arms about people energetically discussing some thoughts she's put forth ~ or adding their own, for that matter. If it's not your cuppa, that's cool. Just move on.:)

Because it is a *homeschooling* board. Support for homeschooling - including an anti public/private school sentiment - should be expected and allowed.

Allowed? Of course. But it doesn't mean I have to agree. This is a discussion board. You're going to get discussion about just about everything.

What I'd like is to have a homeschooling board operate in such as way as to accept that - often - a choice to homeschooling is both pro-homeschooling AND anti institutional school.
Yes, but I'm not. Does that mean that I must stay quiet so that others may bash institutional schools?

Why is support of anti public/private school sentiment necessary for support of homeschooling? I've said it before. This is just another extension of the mommy wars. It's not helpful. It's divisive.
Yes. Agreeing

Ummm...okay. Joann said she "firmly believe(s) that "we" should be able to come to a specific, dedicated board about homeschooling and be able to express an anti public (or private) school bias without being ticketed by the "nice police"." I said in response that I see this as a place where we should be able to support one another in our homeschooling endeavours without railing against the alternatives. I said that I don't believe discussions which only serve to deride schools (that is, discussions whose sole purpose is, as Joann suggested, to express an anti-school bias) are particularly useful. That was my thought in response to Joann. And since it was my thought in response to Joann's thoughts, they relate to her original post.

Clearly, judging by your tone and words, you not only disagree with me but feel my opinion doesn't belong here in the first place. You're wrong. I was responding directly to Joann, agreeing in part with her, and offering additional thoughts on the subject.

I didn't think we agreed about much on this forum, but I did think one underlying principle that seemed to hold was we all paid a lot of respect to the idea that parents should have their say in determining what sort of education is good for their children.

So shouldn't we respect (and support) the parents who homeschool? And should we not respect the choices of those who decide to enroll their children in public and private schools as well? Don't those parents deserve the same respect for their freedom of choice?

Seems only decent to me.

Bill

Absolutely. I think this is a great post.

First, this is not "just" a homeschooling board. Even in WTM, SWB talks about school choices and after-schooling.

Second, as I said before...it's a discussion board. I belong to three other homeschooling boards....all of them are pro-homeschooling in the way Joanne talks about...there are other boards out there that are warm fuzzies and will encourage you to always homeschool, and no one will qualify if you post an anti-school sentiment. I really don't think that's what this board is about, and it's not something I've ever expected of this board. I have other avenues to get that type of support, and if people do want that type of support, they can find it if they're willing to search.

I'm pro-choice for school. I believe in selecting the best school choice for each child. So yes, I'm going to support someone who makes the right choice for their child, whether that is homeschooling, private schooling, public schooling, or whatever other choice a family might come up with.

If ALL public schools were horrendous and no one was learning and everyone was bullied and all the teachers were ignorant, nasty child-abusers ... there'd be no debate. No second-guessing ourselves. Who would send their child to a place like that?

we each have our own definitions of 'horrendous.'

And yes, I am aware that many schools/teachers/students/principals are very, very bad. The problem is that all the good is mixed in with the bad.

yup. like a bit of soured milk mixed in w/ a gallon of good milk. But some of us see the sour milk of homeschooling to be way less than the sour milk of public schools. If for no other reason than the sheer number of people involved.

And so, I have a decision to make. And that is why I need support. I don't find it helpful to pretend that all schools are worthless. For me, the challenge is weighing the pros and cons of each. I need to take an honest, accurate look at each option.

i don't need to pretend that all schools are worthless: I just came to the conclusion after years of research that the negatives involved w/ institutionalized schooling do not outweigh the good.

A board dominated by folks who won't take off the blinders to see the negatives of home-schooling and the positives of public schools is not helpful to me or worth my tiny daily dose of computer time.

hm. dominated? the responses in this thread alone seem to show that those of us who are hyper-sensitive to the negatives in the public school are clearly NOT in the majority, lol. And just because I choose the fewer problems w/ homeschooling over the many w/ public, doesn't mean i don't ever recognize the problems inherent in homeschooling. One position does not automatically demand the other.

but it's your time :)

Mari, there's nothing wrong with discussion. And the nature of discussion ~ particularly when it's initiated by remarks that may confuse and/or cause consternation ~ is to go back and forth, to question, to clarify. Well-trained minds enjoy that sort of thing, thus long, meandering threads such as this. ... If it's not your cuppa, that's cool. Just move on.:)

:iagree:

altho some don't really enjoy it as much as others do ;)

If it's not your cuppa, that's cool. Just move on.:)

YES!!! That's exactly what I was trying to tell you! Disagreement is okay but here we are 18 pages later and the horse has been dead for quite some time now. Why keep beating it?

--Mari

In the interests of time and space, I'm only going to address one part of your post.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, everyone is free to make decisions about what is best for his/her children, etc. If free speech doesn't exist for everyone, then it doesn't exist at all.

However, as far as the statement I bolded above, reverse the order and then present it to the teachers' unions, who as we speak, are viewing our right to home school as something that should be abolished. The same people who question our abilities as parents, our abilities as teachers, and our ability to enjoy the freedom to bring up our children as we see fit. The same people who campaign and enlist our legislators to make it virtually impossible for home schooling to flourish and grow.

I'd love to hear their response.

Public education is a relatively new animal. Home schooling, on the other hand, was once the norm. The family was once the core of greater society; now people who spend the majority of time with their children have disparaging terms thrown at them, such as "helicopter parents," "stifling" and "out of touch with reality." Home schoolers are subjected to painstaking scrutiny while failing public school systems have more money thrown at them to "fix" whatever is broken.

My criticisms of public education have nothing to do with immaturity or insecurity. They are a result of unfortunate personal experiences and information that is received firsthand from friends who are teachers and administrators. I give those criticisms not from an ivory tower but as a taxpaying member of society who hopes for better, especially when I am able to give my own child such rich and promising opportunities to learn.

And yes, I have my back up towards some of the people involved in public education. I'm sick of home schooling being attacked. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. When they're able to show - via results, not pointless pilot programs - that the American public education system can be competitive with the rest of the world, then maybe I'll listen to what they have to say about home schooling with a more receptive ear. Until then, I'll continue to fight fire with fire and remain unapologetic about my attitude toward public education.

:iagree: Thank you for all of your input, I appreciate your comments and agree 100% with all that you have said here.

Highereducation, I read your quote via Peekaboo's response...I admit I didn't wade back through all the posts. I just have to say that you put your points across so beautifully. I almost clapped, but my children are sleeping, so I did it in my head. ;) That is something I do appreciate about this board: There are people who are able to word things so well, and in ways I hadn't thought of, the convictions that are floating around in my head. Sometimes I feel like Moses...how I wish I had one of you to speak for me. ;)

If the hs decision were as black and white as the op and many other posters seem to believe, it would be easy to choose home-schooling and we may not need a 'support' board.

The problem is that in my area it's not that simple. Like it or not, many schools DO teach children to read quite well. Many ps children are able to do high-level math and pass AP Calculus exams and participate in fantastic athletic programs and Bible clubs and musical theatre performances and do lab science and discuss literature. Many students like school and meet other nice kids there. Many teachers are well-educated, hard-working, thoughtful people. (I'm not making this up!)Sorry, couldn't avoid a tiny jab...

To me, the programs I highlighted are part of the problem. Why should these be part of a public school program? These programs do have an educational component but they should not be paid for by taxes.

Wow. You got spanked. ;) That'll learn you to express an opinion. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I totally get your point.

I was not spanking anyone. I am not one to rant against public schools. I just wanted Joanne to know that I agreed with her view that if someone wanted to express their view about a problem they may have with public schools they should be able to.

Karen

So, it's okay to do it because someone else does it to us? Is that really how we justify our actions? As I said elsewhere, I expect more out of homeschoolers. If anything that shows a bias toward homeschooling, but that's the way it is.

--------------

:D

No, I am not expressing that it is OK. You will not find any of my posts where I am putting out anti-public school statements.

I am saying this: Public schools already get my support. I give my tax dollars every year to support their cause. If someone is having a problem with a public school and they want to express it here, it should be safe for them to do so.

Just a few months ago, the state I live in put homeschoolers under attack. A senator wanted to put the reins on homeschoolers. We fought hard, but we did so kindly. Our legal liason told us to speak nicely to our local representatives. We did such a good job that we won some senators to our side. I stated this to let you know that you can think better of homeschoolers.

Also, I am not stating that we should ever attack people for making a decision to homeschool or to put their child in public or private school. It is their choice. Thank God, we have the freedom to choose. My emphasis is on the fact that I pray it remains free. I pray that we will always have the right to choose what is best for our children, not that someone takes that right away.

Blessings,

Karen

To me, the programs I highlighted are part of the problem. Why should these be part of a public school program? These programs do have an educational component but they should not be paid for by taxes.

For students who do not have invested parents or parents willing to homeschool them or commit to them this might be their only option to be involved in something besides sitting in the classroom. For many of my students the extra curriculars make them better students because it fosters pride in themselves and their school. The amount of money these really cost in tax dollars out of the whole paid is minimal. You might argue it is different in your area, but consider the athletic, music and drama booster parents who spend day in and day out raising money for their programs. Students are constantly running fun raisers in and out of school to raise money. These efforts exist at every school. In some schools, like the one I teach at, students pay to participate in these activities to help fund them. The coaches and teachers are rarely getting rich off of these positions - believe me.

I believe, in a democratic society we have an obligation to our fellow man. This includes making free education available to all - and with education I include those extras that make for a well rounded student AND help them be competitive to be accepted to colleges and universities.

Not everyone is going to agree with me. I am an anomoly. I still teach full time in a public high school while teaching my DD at home. I see both sides of the coin because I live it every day.

Not everyone is going to agree with me. I am an anomoly. I still teach full time in a public high school while teaching my DD at home. I see both sides of the coin because I live it every day.

Not true, I agree with you. I believe in a democratic society also. I support any child getting an education. No child should ever be denied one. I appreciate the opportunity that this country has allowed that priviledge to all.

Blessings,

Karen

For students who do not have invested parents or parents willing to homeschool them or commit to them this might be their only option to be involved in something besides sitting in the classroom. For many of my students the extra curriculars make them better students because it fosters pride in themselves and their school. The amount of money these really cost in tax dollars out of the whole paid is minimal. You might argue it is different in your area, but consider the athletic, music and drama booster parents who spend day in and day out raising money for their programs. Students are constantly running fun raisers in and out of school to raise money. These efforts exist at every school. In some schools, like the one I teach at, students pay to participate in these activities to help fund them. The coaches and teachers are rarely getting rich off of these positions - believe me.

I believe, in a democratic society we have an obligation to our fellow man. This includes making free education available to all - and with education I include those extras that make for a well rounded student AND help them be competitive to be accepted to colleges and universities.

I agree with you!

I was not spanking anyone. I am not one to rant against public schools. I just wanted Joanne to know that I agreed with her view that if someone wanted to express their view about a problem they may have with public schools they should be able to.

Karen

I know. I'm saying YOU got spanked by someone who thought you were being naughty and needed to be corrected. Lot of that going around. I'm on your side.

I think your reply muddies the waters of my point.

They are called extracurriculars for a reason.

Your definition of a minimal amount and mine might vary greatly. It doesn't matter if it is one dime. It shouldn't be on the taxpayers' backs.

Kids & parents should raise money for those programs --- all the money. Every penny.

Kids can do activities outside of the school environment to become well-rounded help pad their college applications.

ETA: About being an anomaly: If you mean you are an anomaly b/c you homeschool while being a public school teacher, perhaps you are. But I know there are families here where one spouse works in public schools while the other homeschools.

I don't think you are an anomaly in terms of being a public school teacher who thinks every penny a school receives is justified and deserved. Every school teacher I know just wants more & more taxpayer money.

Edited by unsinkable

I already help make free education available to all. We still pay those taxes. Where I draw the line is the "extras." I'm not quite sure why, if I can't afford to provide those "extras" for my son, I should be required to provide them for someone else.

I believe, in a democratic society, that we have an obligation to meet our own needs and take care of our own family -- and *then* take care of someone else. If more people did THAT there would be fewer people needing *anything.*

I already help make free education available to all. We still pay those taxes. Where I draw the line is the "extras." I'm not quite sure why, if I can't afford to provide those "extras" for my son, I should be required to provide them for someone else.

I believe, in a democratic society, that we have an obligation to meet our own needs and take care of our own family -- and *then* take care of someone else. If more people did THAT there would be fewer people needing *anything.*

:iagree:

They are called extracurriculars for a reason.

Your definition of a minimal amount and mine might vary greatly. It doesn't matter if it is one dime. It shouldn't be on the taxpayers' backs.

Kids & parents should raise money for those programs --- all the money. Every penny.

Well with this economy, we don't have to worry about it around here. Every bit extra is being cut in public schools where I live unless the parents pay and transport the child themselves.

Edited by Blessedfamily