Menu

What breed would you like if you were to get a dog IF you are a dog person?

DawnM

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Has your ds ever seen a flyball or agility training session or competition in-person? Sport dogs are not 'chill' from what I see with my friend. In fact, the handlers work hard to increase the dog's excitement and focus (they call it 'engagement') so that the dog will run hard. They use tugs to encourage the dogs to run after it, and the dogs often are swinging on the tug while the handler sometimes pats the dog. There is also a ton of dogs excitedly barking at the training facilities while they wait for their turn to run. "Chill" is far from what I picture a sport dog being. They seem to thrive in an environment that is noisy (flyball buildings are often loud and have lots of echo).

No, he's watched tons of them online, and spent a fair amount of time researching.

His understanding, from talking and reading, is that there are breeds like whippets that can be super intense when competing, but are able to turn it off at home and chill out with their people, and then there are breeds like BC's that are constantly on. Our current dog would have made an amazing agility dog. He was super fast as a young dog, the only dog I've owned that could chase a squirrel and gain on it (fortunately all the squirrels he chased ran up trees so he didn't actually catch any).  Once, I took him to a dog park that had agility equipment set up.  They had a teeter totter set up, which is apparently considered a hard skill to master because dogs get scared, but mine ran up and down the first time.  Other people were super impressed.  But he's always been relatively chill in the house, and he doesn't bark.  So, I think my kid is hoping to replicate him, but of course we don't know what our dog is mixed with.  

I should also add that my kid would do fine in a loud chaotic environment.  He's not looking for chill because he himself is chill.  He's just assuming that an energizer bunny type dog would not do well in a dorm room.  I think he's right about that, although I'm not sold on the idea that any dog should be in a dorm room. 

• Like 4

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

I should also add that my kid would do fine in a loud chaotic environment.  He's not looking for chill because he himself is chill.  He's just assuming that an energizer bunny type dog would not do well in a dorm room.  I think he's right about that, although I'm not sold on the idea that any dog should be in a dorm room. 

There aren't many if any colleges that allow dogs in dorm rooms.  Service animals maybe, ESA no.  

• Like 3

One of my kids was in a dorm suite with a roommate with an ESA dog. There were several other dogs in the building. It wasn’t too bad in a dorm situation where it was suite style (where the rooms shared a common area), because it meant the dog had more than just a tiny dorm room. I wouldn’t love the idea in a single small room.  It would have to be the right dog though and with the ability to give plenty of outdoor exercise. I think it’s better for a service dog with public access because the dog would be out of the room a lot. 

ETA: ESA cats seemed better suited to dorm life, though I’d be paranoid about someone leaving a door open. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

There aren't many if any colleges that allow dogs in dorm rooms.  Service animals maybe, ESA no.  

ESA's are covered by the Fair Housing Act, and there are many on college campuses.  I'm not sure it's the right choice for my particular kid, but it's definitely possible to take an ESA to college. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

One of my kids was in a dorm suite with a roommate with an ESA dog. There were several other dogs in the building. It wasn’t too bad in a dorm situation where it was suite style (where the rooms shared a common area), because it meant the dog had more than just a tiny dorm room. I wouldn’t love the idea in a single small room.  It would have to be the right dog though and with the ability to give plenty of outdoor exercise. I think it’s better for a service dog with public access because the dog would be out of the room a lot. 

ETA: ESA cats seemed better suited to dorm life, though I’d be paranoid about someone leaving a door open. 

There's a ton of ESA cats at my oldest's college, and I actually think it's crueler to cats than to dogs, unless it's like a 20 year old cat that just sleeps all the time.  A dog could be taken out to use the restroom, for walks, play time outside, etc.  Not many cats walk on leashes (though the number is increasing!) and it just isn't enough space.  I've refused to allow my oldest to have an ESA pet because I don't think it's fair to the animal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

A dog could be taken out to use the restroom, for walks, play time outside, etc.  Not many cats walk on leashes (though the number is increasing!) and it just isn't enough space.

Fair point. 

• Like 1

Regarding the ESA cats, I've always wondered how that works with allergies. I have a child with a fairly severe cat allergy.  I think it would be hard for her to live in close proximity with a cat (not just in the room with a cat, but even on a floor with a cat if the cat has access to exterior areas at all). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Regarding the ESA cats, I've always wondered how that works with allergies. I have a child with a fairly severe cat allergy.  I think it would be hard for her to live in close proximity with a cat (not just in the room with a cat, but even on a floor with a cat if the cat has access to exterior areas at all). 

At my oldest's school, cats are not allowed outside of their assigned dorm rooms.  It's possible if there are suites, that that would be okay with everyone agreeing, but they are absolutely not allowed in hallways or common spaces.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

My understanding is that a student with a disability (allergies are a disability under the law) that would prevent them from living with an animal, should contact disability services to get an accommodation not to be housed on the same suite or hall as whatever animal they are allergic to.  But they should do that before room assignments.  

My kid will apply for Air Conditioning as an accommodation for severe pollen allergies.  My understanding is he should apply before room assignments so he can either be prioritized for a building with AC, or for a room where a window unit is possible.  If he takes a dog as an ESA (I am far from convinced I should let that happen), then my understanding is he'll likely be assigned a single, unless he can find a roommate who is happy to live with a dog. 

• Like 3

I am going to see this beautiful guy later today.   His current owner says he is very playful and cuddly and smart but has some anxiety.   We can deal with that, and DH is home most days.

He is 2 years old, a mini Aussie, but not fixed, so we will be taking care of that if we get him.   He is housebroken they say.

They seem pretty serious about wanting us to get him.   They are bringing him to us/our house today to see how he does with our dog and see if they like us I guess.

453875169_8650361621658347_2183784500813864845_n.jpeg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Terabith said:

Are you sure this is the right time for a new dog?  I would think it might be better to wait till you have finished construction.  

Well, we are already committed to seeing a dog today and if we like him, we will go through with it, but otherwise, we might wait.   I just feel like there is always something to "wait until" in our lives!   And a dog has never been a huge issue to add to the family in our past, so hopefully it won't be traumatic for us this time.

But good point.   And we may.

• Like 2

I'd be very careful with the anxiety issue. For some dogs it mostly means they're in the wrong home and if they can get settled into a new, more stable environment they may not be anxious at all. But if he truly has an anxious personality--that can be challenging to live with, and it can require a lot of training and stability (keeping to a strict routine, etc.). Just like with people there are medications that can help, but sometimes that requires a lot of working with a vet to get the right medication(s) and dosage.

Getting him fixed might help with the anxiety. Maybe.

I'd ask a lot of questions and have my radar up for lying or hedging on the truth. They may have legit, non-anxiety reasons for rehoming. But if anxiety seems to be the main issue -- of course only you can decide, but I wouldn't want to take on an anxious dog when I had a young kid in the house.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd ask a lot of questions and have my radar up for lying or hedging on the truth. They may have legit, non-anxiety reasons for rehoming. But if anxiety seems to be the main issue -- of course only you can decide, but I wouldn't want to take on an anxious dog when I had a young kid in the house.

Agreeing. Is this a rehome via the current owner? I’d be asking a lot of questions about what has been difficult for them about this dog and reading between the lines when they answer. I would want to know what they do with him when they need to leave him alone at home and how long they can leave him for. If the anxiety is separation anxiety, that is tremendously challenging, even if someone is usually home. Inevitably there will be times no one can be there with him, and you need to know you can leave if you need to. 

He does look very sweet and there are medications that can help if it’s that bad, but I’d be cautious as Pawz says.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I am going to see this beautiful guy later today.   His current owner says he is very playful and cuddly and smart but has some anxiety.   We can deal with that, and DH is home most days.

He is 2 years old, a mini Aussie, but not fixed, so we will be taking care of that if we get him.   He is housebroken they say.

They seem pretty serious about wanting us to get him.   They are bringing him to us/our house today to see how he does with our dog and see if they like us I guess.

453875169_8650361621658347_2183784500813864845_n.jpeg

Oh my goodness! He is beautiful! 😍 he does look like an Aussie! How much does he weigh?

I also agree with the PP about watching carefully for any deception from current owners. I’ve seen people pawn off some really difficult pets on unsuspecting people. 

That said my pup’s previous owners said our dog had food aggression and he has never displayed that behavior with us and we have had him now for two years and that is twice as long as they had him. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Melanie32 said:

Oh my goodness! He is beautiful! 😍 he does look like an Aussie! How much does he weigh?

I also agree with the PP about watching carefully for any deception from current owners. I’ve seen people pawn off some really difficult pets on unsuspecting people. 

That said my pup’s previous owners said our dog had food aggression and he has never displayed that behavior with us and we have had him now for two years and that is twice as long as they had him. 

He is only about 20 pounds they said.   He looks bigger in the photos, but you can't really tell from photos.   Our current dog is over 50, so I want to make sure our dog is nice to him when they play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

He is only about 20 pounds they said.   He looks bigger in the photos, but you can't really tell from photos.   Our current dog is over 50, so I want to make sure our dog is nice to him when they play.

My best friend just had a failed attempt at adding a mini Aussie to her home with one standard.  Mini never learned to get along with the bigger dog no matter how many times the mini was corrected by the bigger Aussie.  The mini would growl from across the room. She was also super protective of my friend….and a little weird about men.  She would be sitting in my friend’s dh’s lap and he would get up to go take a shower and she would jump up to attack him when he came back to the room.  

I think she would do really well in a house with just a woman and no other dogs.  She did fine with cats.

On the other hand my brother added a mini to his house with a big dog and they get along great.  

At any rate this is an adorable mini you just showed us.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

No, he's watched tons of them online, and spent a fair amount of time researching.

His understanding, from talking and reading, is that there are breeds like whippets that can be super intense when competing, but are able to turn it off at home and chill out with their people, and then there are breeds like BC's that are constantly on. Our current dog would have made an amazing agility dog. He was super fast as a young dog, the only dog I've owned that could chase a squirrel and gain on it (fortunately all the squirrels he chased ran up trees so he didn't actually catch any).  Once, I took him to a dog park that had agility equipment set up.  They had a teeter totter set up, which is apparently considered a hard skill to master because dogs get scared, but mine ran up and down the first time.  Other people were super impressed.  But he's always been relatively chill in the house, and he doesn't bark.  So, I think my kid is hoping to replicate him, but of course we don't know what our dog is mixed with.  

I would guess that an intense dog would only 'shut off' at home if they get all the free running exercise they need. In a college setting that would be impossible. My friend with the 2 sport dogs has an acre of land with a large field. She runs them, trains them inside and outside, daily. It's a steady part/full time job. 

I would also add that many sport dogs get injuries and need PT, as well as on-going stretching and strengening exercises. What college student has time and money for all of this? Flyball training isn't free, neither is agility. I think your ds has a lovely plan for the long-term future. Perhaps he can visit a local sport dog activity and talk directly with some owners and trainers to really grasp what owning and training a sport dog involves.

I had a kitten in a dorm room. It was lovely for me, but horrible for the cat as I was seldom around. Bringing a dog to a dorm room, unless it's a service animal that is with the handler all the time, would be selfish for the person and sad for the dog. Buy a nice stuffed animal instead. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

@DawnM That dog looks super sweet. There is a mini-Aussie at my dog park that looks just like him. This mini-Aussie was also a rescue. He is what I would definitely call a "small, yappy dog" while on his walks. I'm not sure how he behaves otherwise. I would definitely try to do as much with this dog as possible on the visit, such as taking a walk in the neighbourhood, drive cars and bikes near him. Have people walk by your house, come up to the door and ring the door bell and then come inside. Stuff like that which are often triggers for dogs.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@DawnM That dog looks super sweet. There is a mini-Aussie at my dog park that looks just like him. This mini-Aussie was also a rescue. He is what I would definitely call a "small, yappy dog" while on his walks. I'm not sure how he behaves otherwise. I would definitely try to do as much with this dog as possible on the visit, such as taking a walk in the neighbourhood, drive cars and bikes near him. Have people walk by your house, come up to the door and ring the door bell and then come inside. Stuff like that which are often triggers for dogs.

Good luck. 

Well, not sure I can arrange all that.   Our neighborhood has homes very far apart, people own acres of land.   Plus it may be pouring down rain when they come.   Supposed to rain all week.

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Well, not sure I can arrange all that.   Our neighborhood has homes very far apart, people own acres of land.   Plus it may be pouring down rain when they come.   Supposed to rain all week.

You have the option to postpone to a day and time where you can have things planned out. You don't have to be in a rush even if the foster family seems to be.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

You have the option to postpone to a day and time where you can have things planned out. You don't have to be in a rush even if the foster family seems to be.

They are not in a rush, in fact, they took 2 days to get back to me.   But we both happen to have today free and won't be free again until 3 Saturdays from now, that was the push for today.

There is also other interest, so I would like to keep this appt as the dog will most likely be gone if I wait.

And then I start back to work next week full time, so we will be to only Saturdays or evenings, which are hard the first couple of weeks back, I am just so spent when I get home, until I get used to things again.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I'm a GSD person.  (belgian malinois are smaller, but they require even more stimulation.  extremely smart and incredibly athletic dogs.)  I would survive with a lab or retriever. maybe.
for small dogs, I do like King Charles Spaniels - but they have a lot of health problems.
1dd has two smaller Australian labradoodles (this is a defined breed in Australia) - full brothers (different litters),  Their personalities are quite different.   (one is a wimp on wet grass, the other is oblivious). both are friendly.   

You might find Jonny Devaney's YT shorts series on "robbers meet dogs" enlightening.  I think his mom ran a doggie daycare when he was growing up - and judging by comments, he nailed the breed personalities.

Stay away from huskies - they're drama queens. (girl with dogs YT channel is a groomer.  Her neighbors *always* know when she's grooming a husky.)  - there's one video an owner took of her husky yelling at her GSD.  The GSD just stared back at the drama queen . . . (and only did anything when the husky tried to gnaw the light switch.)
stay away from chihuahuas - even their owners consider them devil dogs.

questions to consider?
is your yard fenced? (how big is it?)
how much time will you spend on grooming? do you want to pay someone else to groom?
some dogs have fur - they shed (some have a double coat which requires more care.  You can save a lot on grooming if you bathe them, and clip nails, yourself), and other dogs have hair. (must be brushed regularly or kept short to prevent matting.  but less allergenic.)
do you want a lap dog? (that's a personality thing.  great danes can think they're a lap dog)  or one you can take hiking?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'm a GSD person.  (belgian malinois are smaller, but they require even more stimulation.  extremely smart and incredibly athletic dogs.)  I would survive with a lab or retriever. maybe.
for small dogs, I do like King Charles Spaniels - but they have a lot of health problems.
1dd has two smaller Australian labradoodles (this is a defined breed in Australia) - full brothers (different litters),  Their personalities are quite different.   (one is a wimp on wet grass, the other is oblivious). both are friendly.   

You might find Jonny Devaney's YT shorts series on "robbers meet dogs" enlightening.  I think his mom ran a doggie daycare when he was growing up - and judging by comments, he nailed the breed personalities.

Stay away from huskies - they're drama queens. (girl with dogs YT channel is a groomer.  Her neighbors *always* know when she's grooming a husky.)  - there's one video an owner took of her husky yelling at her GSD.  The GSD just stared back at the drama queen . . . (and only did anything when the husky tried to gnaw the light switch.)

questions to consider?
how much time will you spend on grooming? do you want to pay someone else to groom?
some dogs have fur - they shed (some have a double coat which requires more care.  You can save a lot on grooming if you bathe them, and clip nails, yourself), and other dogs have hair. (must be brushed regularly or kept short to prevent matting.  but less allergenic.)
do you want a lap dog? (that's a personality thing.  great danes can think they're a lap dog)  or one you can take hiking?  

That video!!!!🤣 nailed my Aussie to a t!!!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

questions to consider?

That was a funny video.   We don't want a guard dog, so I am good with a friendly dog.   Our doodle is friendly too.

We watch a husky for 5 months out of the year some years and I am with you on no husky!   

The other questions are good.   We have thought of the grooming, most likely his grooming will need to be regular nail trims and then a lot of brushing from what I am reading.

Belgian Malinois.....oy!   I have a story about that one, but not from me, from A's birth mother who had one and didn't take care of it and got arrested for kicking it.   She thought she was taking care of it, but with her mental health, she forgot to feed him, just like she forgot to feed A.   I just would think of her every day if I had one.   And they remind me of German Shepards, which I don't care for a lot.

16 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

ESA's are covered by the Fair Housing Act, and there are many on college campuses.  I'm not sure it's the right choice for my particular kid, but it's definitely possible to take an ESA to college. 

I see.  It's definitely not widespread so I assumed it was only service dogs. 

I wonder how long ESA rules will be around? I know they have gotten a lot of pushback since they have been abused so much. 

Also depending on the college, they might have more ability to refuse.  Here is the way the UC's word it in CA:

"Emotional Support Animals in University Housing

An Emotional Support Animal may be kept in university house as a reasonable accommodation to its owner. The owner will be required to provide medical documentation that addresses two different questions: (1) Does the person seeking to use and live with the animal have a disability — i.e., a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities? (2) Does the person making the request have a disability-related need for the Emotional Support Animal?

Requests for an Emotional Support Animal may be denied if granting the request would constitute an undue financial or administrative burden, or would fundamentally alter the nature of the housing provider's services. In addition, the request may also be denied if: (1) the specific Emotional Support Animal in question poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation, or (2) the specific Emotional Support Animal in question would cause substantial physical damage to the property of others that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation. 

When a disabled student is seeking permission to keep an Emotional Support Animal  in University housing, the University Residential and Student Services Program(link is external) animal accommodation process is the correct way for disabled students to secure permission to keep an Emotional Support Animal in University residence. "

• Like 1

@DawnM

i had an Aussie rescue and she was the best dog ever.  She had severe anxiety when she first came and it took weeks just to get her to come in the house.  Over time she graduated to Queen of my leather couch.  Hers was due to past abuse/neglect.

She didn’t have storm anxiety at all.

That said, I never trusted her 100% with small children just knowing she had some anxiety in her past.   She NEVER did anything do a small child but I never left her alone with one either.  She was great with my kids who were preteens at the time.

she bonded mostly to me but was good with all family members.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

That was a funny video.   We don't want a guard dog, so I am good with a friendly dog.   Our doodle is friendly too.

It's about the personalities.  He has a lot more videos. The husky laying out in the snow like it's a beach day...  the retriever happily exploring and smelling everything..... the yorkie demanding attention then getting mad at you for touching him...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's about the personalities.  He has a lot more videos. The husky laying out in the snow like it's a beach day...  the retriever happily exploring and smelling everything..... the yorkie demanding attention then getting mad at you for touching him...

Yes, I get that, I was just saying that we aren't looking for guard dog types.

Ok, well, he is here and staying with us for a few days to see how he does.  That should give us a fairly good idea of how he will do.   

He is definitely skittish.   He hasn't let us touch him much yet, so we are letting him just chill and get used to being. here.

Very nice family, but they have a 5 year old and two 5 month old twins and live in an apartment, so I can see how this might be the wrong time to have a dog for them.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Ok, well, he is here and staying with us for a few days to see how he does.  That should give us a fairly good idea of how he will do.   

He is definitely skittish.   He hasn't let us touch him much yet, so we are letting him just chill and get used to being. here.

Very nice family, but they have a 5 year old and two 5 month old twins and live in an apartment, so I can see how this might be the wrong time to have a dog for them.

That sounds awesome that he is staying for a few days to really get a feel for it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I never would have let them leave a dog like that, one that is so scared that you can’t even touch him. I can only imagine the nature/nature combo that lead to a dog being like this. Not good!

I hope you have their address so you can drop him off when they don’t come back to pick him up.

• Like 1

Dawn, I'm sure you already know this, but if the dog is so anxious that he won't let anyone touch him, I would be absolutely certain to keep your little guy far away from him. Even the most well-meaning little kid could make a sudden movement that could lead to a horrible bite, and it would be difficult for a child not to be excited about an adorable new dog in the house.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So far he has only gone potty outside, so that is a good start.   However, he won't come to us at all yet.   He has eaten some treats I have handed him.   But mostly he stares outside wondering when his people are going to come back to collect him.

It is hard to watch, but I know this is part of the process.

We will watch for behaviors and see if anything negative happens.   He does bark, but so far more of a "don't bother me, you look scary!" kind of way.

• Sad 7

9 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Well my husky likes to sunbathe in 100 degree weather. She has strong cat dna. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DawnM said:

So far he has only gone potty outside, so that is a good start.   However, he won't come to us at all yet.   He has eaten some treats I have handed him.   But mostly he stares outside wondering when his people are going to come back to collect him.

It is hard to watch, but I know this is part of the process.

We will watch for behaviors and see if anything negative happens.   He does bark, but so far more of a "don't bother me, you look scary!" kind of way.

Aw! Poor little guy! Hoping he starts to warm up to y’all soon. 

• Thanks 1

How’s he doing this morning? I feel so bad for him, feeling abandoned, and for you, coping with a frightened dog around a small child.

This must be hard for A, too. My kids would have been so eager to cuddle a new dog.

• Like 3

Sorry, just coming back in now to update. 

He is a great little dog.   He really is.   He is very skittish but he has warmed up to us and comes and jumps up to get pet and rolls over for belly rubs.   He is a smart little guy too.   We tell him things and he understands several of our requests.

He loves A.   He goes right up to him.   He hasn't cuddled with him, but he will bring the ball to play.

My husband and A are already in love with him.  

We will get him fixed and then get some training to help with the fear/anxiety issues.   Not sure where/how/when, but we will find something.

• Like 14

Aw!!!! I am so happy for you guys and happy for him as he has found a family to love him! Our Aussie has only grown more and more cuddly and happy the longer he has been with us. 

Congratulations!! Keep us updated on things. Are y’all going to keep his name or rename him?