Menu

Best balm for super dry lips??

Does this exist? 

A lip butter/balm/salve that is thick and stays on and lasts for hours? Actually works without reapplying 6 to 7 times per day?

Not Aquaphor 

No petrolatum

Doesn’t need to be medicated 

Doesnt’t need to be bougie

Not thin and slimy

Preferably reasonably clean ingredients since it’s on lips and mouth area. 

I use my face moisturizer at bed time and cover it with Vaseline and my lips are fine by morning and air lasts all day. I’ll often just cover my whole face in the Vaseline after putting my moisturizer on.  I think it’s called slugging now but I’ve been doing it longer than the kids have had a name for it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I use my face moisturizer at bed time and cover it with Vaseline and my lips are fine by morning and air lasts all day. I’ll often just cover my whole face in the Vaseline after putting my moisturizer on.  I think it’s called slugging now but I’ve been doing it longer than the kids have had a name for it. 

I agree! My first thought was Vaseline, too, but she said "no petrolatum."

Honestly, I don't think anything else will work as well for her in terms of both effectiveness and longevity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

I agree! My first thought was Vaseline, too, but she said "no petrolatum."

Honestly, I don't think anything else will work as well for her in terms of both effectiveness and longevity.

Yep. Aquaphor, especially at bedtime, is my solution. I think it works best at night because you're not talking, eating/drinking, licking your lips, or otherwise doing things that remove it quickly. That's also why I don't think anything used during the day will last for hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You probably want something that has avocado or olive oil or sea buckthorn oil  or murmuru butter as its base rather than beeswax, but none of those are going to last for hours. You do too much with your mouth (eat, drink, talk) for that to be the case. 

Silicone makes stuff slippery, petroleum bases help seal in moisture, as do waxes---when you move to healthier products, you just trade off that they don't last as long. 

The cheapest, cleanest thing you can do if all you're looking for is hydration is just to put some coconut oil or coconut butter on your lips a few times a day.  If you're wanting a decent tint, look at Honest Beauty's products--but they don't feel super soft and lush to me. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sgo95 said:

Lansinoh (lanolin) will probably suit your wants.

I was going to say that when my lips are horribly dry, this takes care of it. They make a lip balm, but I've just used the stuff they make for nursing moms.

Otherwise, EOS lip balm.

• Thanks 1

Vaseline will work better and longer than anything else. You might look online for dermatologist opinions about petroleum. 

Otherwise I agree lanolin will be most healing, but there’s no way to make it last for hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to say that lips are a mucous membrane. If they’re super dry and you don’t have a reason (like sunburn or chemo or something), it’s a sign your body is really dehydrated. Assuming you don’t have high blood pressure, I’d personally drink two quarts of sugar free Gatorade. 

• Thanks 1

Here is the one that meets all of your criterion:  Your Lip Balm, Our Planet by Etee reusables, out of Canada.  I use it for a plain balm, but also under lipstick as a base layer.  It lasts and lasts.  Has a paper/light cardboard tube.

Perfect Balm by Limelife for Alcone, the clear colorless one, is also very good.  I don’t think it is quite as natural but it might be—I don’t recognize some of the ingredients.  I also use that for a lipstick base at times.  It does last well.  (Classic is the ‘color’.)  Has a plastic tube.

Those are my every day wear ones.

Then when my lips are extremely dry I also add in Burt’s Bees Lavendar / Honey lip butter or Overnight Intensive Lip Treatment.  I don’t think those are as natural as the others, but they are helpful with overnight repair and at least they are not Vaseline, LOL.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Thanks 1

Besides dehydration another possibility is a fungal infection, especially if you have any sort of compromised immune system. I've had super (super super super) dry lips that started with angular cheilitis but the dry lips didn't go away even after the cracks healed. A few days of applying a 50/50 mixture of OTC hydrocortisone and OTC anti-fungal ointment made everything right again.

Edited by Pawz4me