Menu

Anyone Traveling for the Eclipse?

JustEm

We were able to see a couple of glimpses through the clouds right before and after totality, and then of course the clouds started to clear significantly once totality was over. The darkness was amazing, even though we couldn’t see the eclipse itself at that moment. 

We traveled a fairly long distance, but no regrets. We planned a mini vacation around this experience, so we’d be in a place that interests us regardless of what happened with the eclipse. Dh is saying now that we should fly to Spain for the next one. Guess that means it was worth the trip. 😁

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 8

Apologizing to those you feel it is just a crappy thing to do to travel for it, and no big deal. Don't read further please.

Our grandsons thought it was amazing. Mark used the spotting scope with a sun filter to project the eclipse on white paper so they could watch it without having to stare up for so long with their glasses. The animals here became very quiet, and a hawk landed maybe 50 ft away and just sat during totality. We got some nice pictures using ISO filter film for the lenses of our cell phones.

We had a very remote location. We are at a ranch house in the mountains of NW Arkansas. We rolled in with all of our meals planned, every single thing we would need packed. We went into a quaint town the first day to seek our locally made items or farm market because we like to support local businesses when we do something like this. I scored some really nice lemon goat milk soap and bought several bars and some honey from a local lady, fresh milk, and some hand knit dish rags to take home. I love those things, but seem to be incapable of learning to knit. Play the Rach 2 Concerto? Sure, no worries. Make hands coordinate knitting needles? Totally beyond my brain ability. 🤣

We leave at 5:30 am tomorrow. Dd and family will leave around 9am. They only have to drive back Alabama and will be taking side roads in order to avoid Memphis. We will be using side roads nearly the whole way until we make it to I80 and pick I 94E into Michigan. Hopefully no traffic jams by avoiding the interstates.

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Hopefully no traffic jams by avoiding the interstates.

My DH and three of the kids were just outside of Indianapolis for the eclipse (had amazing weather), left right after totality, and are making great time coming back north to Michigan.

They are almost halfway home, already to Fort Wayne, and at this rate the return trip will take about the same as driving there - and that didn't take any longer than any other day.

The highway is flowing at full speed, and they should be home by bedtime.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

My DH and three of the kids were just outside of Indianapolis for the eclipse (had amazing weather), left right after totality, and are making great time coming back north to Michigan.

They are almost halfway home, already to Fort Wayne, and at this rate the return trip will take about the same as driving there - and that didn't take any longer than any other day.

The highway is flowing at full speed, and they should be home by bedtime.

Thanks! Good to know!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terabith said:

97% is couldn’t care less. So is 99%. 

Totality is life changing and transcendent. 

Yes. This was my first experience of totality and it was absolutely magical. I did wonder if it would be worth all the driving and hotel and planning and everything. But when it went total and people cheered it was just absolutely thrilling. 

• Like 11

Back at our Airbnb.  We had very little traffic and even though we had high clouds, the eclipse was amazing. I was so glad to be there with my three children (although dh had to work and couldn’t come).  We rarely get to do anything with most of us together, and this eclipse was perfect with them.  

I had one sister in Illinois and one in Vermont.  It was fun to text them throughout the eclipse and share it with them.

We ended up watching in a cemetery with practically no people around.  It was perfect.

• Like 10

We would have had 98% at home. We drove 1.5 hours and hiked for an hour to a tall bluff overlooking a river, a worthy destination for honoring the event. One other couple there. It was majestic.

Pic is at 1:59pm.

20240408_135640.jpg

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

We would have had 98% at home. We drove 1.5 hours and hiked for an hour to a tall bluff overlooking a river, a worthy destination for honoring the event. One other couple there. It was majestic.

Pic is at 1:59pm.

20240408_135640.jpg

A hike to experience without crowds sounds wonderful! We rented a place in the mountains on a working ranch, but the home was WAY away from light sources. We have had lovely night sky viewing and a perfect day for the eclipse. Just us, our dd and son in law, and 3 grandkids. None of our other kids could get vacation from their jobs or time off from grad school. So not having them was a little sad. Still, it was very special.

• Like 7

I'm so jealous of all of you that were able to see it.  I had hoped to travel, but it didn't work out with the dog's issues and the drama.  I was hoping to take my colander outside during the partial (we were supposedly at 94%), but they overbooked me with patients (and one had a medical emergency.)  I'm so bummed.  

Living vicariously through everyone's pictures.  

• Sad 6

We were in totality, the first time I've ever scene it.  Very cool!  I've watched an eclipse before,  but never at totality- huge difference!  I found it amazing how once a tiny crack of sun came back out, the sky lightened immediately.   We had fun with shadows, too.  Overall a very fun day that we will remember!  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

I flew to Atlanta then drove 6.5hrs with my brother and sister to southern IL. Glad I got to experience this. The weather was perfect.

eclipse 2024.jpg

Hey, we might have been nearby each other!  I was in Carbondale!

• Like 3

We traveled to a friend's house 2 hours away for the last totality. I remember it being darker last time. The sky was clear both times so I don't know why that would be the case. Maybe I'm misremembering it. 

• Like 1

We did not travel.   Monday was the first day back from Spring Break so it was just not feasible.  I thought totality was 90 min. away.   I was looking at the wrong eclipse map ( I think I was looking at the 2017 one!) and we were about 5 hours away from any totality.   

We saw what we could here locally and I am good with that.   

2 hours ago, Soror said:

We traveled to a friend's house 2 hours away for the last totality. I remember it being darker last time. The sky was clear both times so I don't know why that would be the case. Maybe I'm misremembering it. 

I know one of the talking heads mentioned that the sun was sitting low in the sky yesterday, I wonder if that makes a difference?  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 3

It was darker last time for us viewing the eclipse from Idaho than it was this time in Texas.

I wondered if the moon was slightly farther from the earth this time?

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

I was thinking it would be darker too. we traveled a couple hours to my brother’s house to be in totality. No traffic there or back. We did see one star in the sky. The weather turned out much better than expected and was clear and sunny. 
It was a great experience. Totality was cool, but I do enjoy the process of the moon covering the sun too. 

43 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I was thinking it would be darker too. we traveled a couple hours to my brother’s house to be in totality. No traffic there or back. We did see one star in the sky. The weather turned out much better than expected and was clear and sunny. 
It was a great experience. Totality was cool, but I do enjoy the process of the moon covering the sun too. 

That star was probably Venus (was it to the right and a bit down from the sun?), usually only seen on the horizon. 

Dh and I traveled and met up with a fellow boardie for the eclipse. We struggled a bit to figure out the best place to go in our area, because there was so much cloud coverage and we might have missed it if we picked the wrong spot to venture to from our hotel, but it worked out. There were clouds coming and going all day, keeping us on our toes, but they cleared up when it got cold once the sun was mostly covered and dissipated so we could see the eclipse.

We went to a stadium with other people. Part of me would have liked being out in the woods alone, and part of me liked sharing it with others. There were spontaneous whoops of pure joy all around the stadium when the sun winked out.

Totally worth DH’s stressing out over where the best place would be to watch with the least clouds and worth the 10-hour round trip. 

Still in the hotel. Will head out soon. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

We were at Saluki Stadium! Dang. I would have loved to meet you.

Oh man!  I was on campus but we went to Chatauqua Bottoms Nature Reserve. It was really neat to see the way the animals responded. It sounded like the stadium had an incredible experience with tons of things going on. 

• Like 1

As I said upthread, we traveled Monday from Virginia to Indianapolis for a swim meet yesterday (initially from Georgia).  We stopped at a random rest stop in Indiana for the Eclipse.  It was worth it.   I was with my daughter and her coach and have some wonderful photos of them enjoying it.

I had plenty of glasses so shared them with the many truckers who did not have any.   I was glad to share with the very appreciative OTR drivers.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 7

It was amazing to watch totality from our backyard! We had a gorgeous view of the twilight on the lake and mountains we can see from our home.

My parents watched from our hot tub even.

And it was our first beautiful sunny spring day so the whole neighborhood was outside together, like a party. We’re all sunburned lol.

• Like 9

We finally got home late last night. Thank you to any of y'all from Arkansas who let us come view totality from your beautiful state!!!!!! Everyone we met was nice and fun to talk to - locals and tourists. We're from Georgia so we got off the barely moving interstates and took the slow route home across the Mississippi delta. Lots of gorgeous scenery and sweet towns.

• Like 5

We had a wonderful time. 

I mentioned the eclipse in a family chat with my siblings over a year ago and we made spontaneous plans to rent a big AirBnB in Texas and watch together. We ended up with all 10 siblings plus my mom there, and a majority of the grandkids; eclipse + family reunion made for an excellent combination! We had excellent weather for viewing-- some scattered clouds and a clear view of totality. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We flew from Orlando to Detroit, then drove from there to Sandusky, Ohio and stayed with DH's aunt and uncle. His whole father's side of his family live in that area, and some he hadn't seen since he was a kid. So we got the eclipse AND basically a family reunion out of it. 

For the actual eclipse we went downtown and watched from the Jackson Street Pier - they had live music and food trucks and such. A big horn blew at the start and end of totality. Weather was PERFECT with just some high hazy clouds but you could totally see everything. The sky got dark, you could see venus, and a flock of seagulls took off toward the islands where they roost. It was amazing. DS11 said it looked like " there was a hole in the sky!"

• Like 13