Menu

2023 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

A friend of my daughter's is traveling to South Korea in December and offered to carry packages to her on our behalf. (What a nice person!) 

I ordered a gift for my daughter on the 19th, and it was delivered to the friend's home yesterday, the 24th. Can you say quick?!

I'll share the item in case it interests someone here ~

FlaxSakUSA Microwaveable neck, shoulder, and back warmer

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 11/18/2023 at 11:06 PM, Corraleno said:

Fun gift for kids: "Where's Waldo" type books but personalized so that the child is searching for little characters of themselves. There are several different themes, including a Christmas theme, and some can include up to 3 children in the same book. They're listed as ages 4-10, but there's also a version that's up to adults. Regularly $40, currently on sale for $30 with BlackFriday code for 25% off.

Wonderbly books

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 7.55.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 7.54.34 PM.png

Thank you, thank you!!! DD is 15 and still loves these kind of books. I see they have an adult edition, too. Perfect! 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

A friend of my daughter's is traveling to South Korea in December and offered to carry packages to her on our behalf. (What a nice person!) 

I ordered a gift for my daughter on the 19th, and it was delivered to the friend's home yesterday, the 24th. Can you say quick?!

I'll share the item in case it interests someone here ~

FlaxSakUSA Microwaveable neck, shoulder, and back warmer

Regards,

Kareni

😍 that. Looks. Awesome. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

😍 that. Looks. Awesome. 

I think so, too!

My daughter sometimes wakes up after "having slept wrong," and I'm hoping this will help her out. It also looks like a great thing to wear in a cool apartment on a cold winter day.

The vendor has some wonderful fabric choices.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

23 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

For the spinner in your life: (Note  that this comes in a glow in the dark option- because who doesn’t love spinning in the dark? 😂

Dizzy sheep

Thanks for sharing, @I talk to the treesAnd now I'm reminded of a book that I read years ago ~ The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart. I don't recall the details, but perhaps there was spinning in the dark!

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/26/2023 at 11:57 AM, Kareni said:

I think so, too!

My daughter sometimes wakes up after "having slept wrong," and I'm hoping this will help her out. It also looks like a great thing to wear in a cool apartment on a cold winter day.

The vendor has some wonderful fabric choices.

Regards,

Kareni

I bought one of these from a craft fair at a mall when I was in college.  We have all used it regularly for almost 30 years.  I've been using it this week because I pulled my back cleaning up the leaves.  This week I'm taking it to work. Dd used it for cramps all through adolescence.  Dh uses it for various injuries.  It's a wonderful thing.  The lady who sewed ours did a great job.  Some are filled with rice, but I'm pretty sure based on smell that ours is stuffed with feed corn.  When dd moved out I bought her one that is filled with cherry pits.  

• Thanks 1

I hadn't heard of cherry pit filled bags, @KungFuPanda; that does sound intriguing! We have a couple of feed corn filled bags that a friend made for us ages ago; like yours, ours are still growing strong years later. Ours are simply long tubes, so I'll be very interested to hear our daughter's take on this very shaped version. I also have no first hand knowledge of flaxseed filling but have heard hopeful things.

Regards,

Kareni

8 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

OK, I’m leaning toward this one. So glad they take Apple Pay!

IMG_0523.jpeg

Only one left! Better hop right on that!

Fair warning, though, I'm still shopping for dd who is obsessed with Oppenheimer, and that would certainly be a statement piece .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:26 PM, Corraleno said:

Bonne Maman does advent calendars that include 1 oz jars of unusual jams and jellies. The tiny jars are so stinking cute, they look exactly like the full size jars, just 1/8th the size, and the flavors are really unusual, like grapefruit & dragonfruit, strawberry & guava, peach & jasmine flower, fig & cardamom, etc.

The main one has 24 jars and is available on Amazon ($45), and Costco sells a smaller version (12 jars) called 12 Days of Christmas, which I think was around $20 (I bought it a couple of weeks ago). You can also buy a 2-pack of the smaller version on Costco's website for $45, but unless you wanted to give one as a gift, for the same price I'd just order the big one since you'd get 24 different flavors instead of duplicates of 12. Either set would be great for a gift basket, maybe with an assortment of nice teas and some homemade scones. I'm considering grabbing a 2nd one from Costco to make pastries or thumbprint cookies with all the different flavors.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 5.10.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 5.10.55 PM.png

Huge hit with recipient! Thanks @Corraleno!

Edited by Frances
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

I am beyond bummed that it’s unavailable.  And that the reviews are so horrible. I would have absolutely already bought them if I could have. I’m dying to see the look on my bird-houses all over their property in-laws faces when they open that at Christmas. It’s a gift for both of us. 

seriously. Someone find me some quality bird coasters like these. Please!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stacia said:

This is not a weird gift, but has anyone gotten a flower delivery subscription for someone? If so, did the recipient like it & who did you use? (I'm seeing mixed reviews online.) Thanks.

We called a florist near the recipient (MIL, who lives in a different state) and did it directly with them. We were somewhat familiar with the florist, as was MIL - it's who we would use for special occasion flowers.

She really enjoyed getting the flowers. We did about 4 months worth, to get through winter into spring. After that we sent something else for Mother's Day and then her birthday in June.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I am beyond bummed that it’s unavailable

Oh, I never actually buy from Amazon, I buy from ebay. More because I can select that it's already in the country (in Australia) as otherwise it could be shipped from who knows where and take months. So I bought the coasters off ebay and honestly I don't care if they fall apart, for $10 or so they're a funny gift. 

• Like 1

I always love this thread, and this year it has really helped me! @Corraleno Thank you for the jam calendar idea—it was a HUGE hit with the recipient this week. (I bought one for myself too, but haven’t opened it yet😁). And @MEmama Thank you for the pet pillow link! I ordered one from the Etsy shop you linked for my college-age ds who just left home in August and is missing his pup dearly. I can’t wait for him to unwrap this pillow—he’s going to absolutely love it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:18 PM, Stacia said:

This is not a weird gift, but has anyone gotten a flower delivery subscription for someone? If so, did the recipient like it & who did you use? (I'm seeing mixed reviews online.) Thanks.

And for an unusual item, how about these movie barcode prints? I think they look pretty fun for the movie lover in your life.

My good friend and neighbor got me one from Urban Stems as a thank you.  I was a lucky recipient for 3 months of really fresh and fantastic quality flowers.  These were nicer than flowers from Trader Joe’s ( they usually have some of the nicer grocery store flowers around here). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2