Menu

What to do with this pot?

Calizzy

I am talking about a literal pot, not marijuana! My son bought this small cast iron pot at a yard sale, and now I don’t know what to do with it! I have an induction cooktop and it won’t heat the pot because the feet don’t make enough contact with the stove. It’s just been sitting on my counter for 4 months. 

C17FE9FC-37C7-4F8F-BBC1-58EE6DA391E8.jpeg

A7C39686-29D5-4FAE-8C32-4AC1BD9C63B4.jpeg

Oh my, that’s tiny. Use it as a Halloween witch’s cauldron for a dollhouse? Or, yes, use it as a cachepot for a small plant, though that won’t do the cast iron any good long term. Know any American Girl doll owners who enjoy camping? It could be a good accessory for them, since that style of pot is designed to use over hot coals.

It would be a cute succulent pot. You'd definitely want to use a plastic pot / insert with drainage holes AND a plastic drip tray inside. 

If you add some silk plants or flowers (or maybe berries, for Christmas) to the handle it could make a nice votive holder. You'd want to use an electric candle.

You could fill it with potpourri. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, history-fan said:

I would use it as a mortar

For a few seconds I thought you mean the first definition and I was so confused. 🙂

mor·tar /ˈmôrdər/ noun
a short smoothbore gun for firing shells (technically called bombs) at high angles.
"mortars and machine guns"
a cup-shaped receptacle made of hard material, in which ingredients are crushed or ground, used especially in cooking or pharmacy.
"a mortar and pestle"

4 hours ago, EKS said:

My parents have a pot like that which was used by some relative in the Civil War.  They keep it as a decoration next to the fireplace.

We have a larger one, very similar, in a cast iron stand that used to be dh's parents. I've always wondered what it was used for.