Menu

S/O topic. What is a cake?

Faith-manor

13 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Those dang things cost $4.00 each at Whole Foods. Can you believe that? They are gluten free and very tasty, though. On the rare occasion. 

You can get a large box of them at Costco for something like $16. Made in France, a dozen flavors.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

This is probably one of the first US dialect words the rest of the English speaking world learns, along with faucet and diaper.

what.... what do y'all call.... the.... the.... (words fail).... spouts from whence the kitchen water springs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Maryland is in the house and ready to talk about crab cakes 😬 

They're patties! 

But I live in a place with potato cakes and they are not cake and not patties.

And I share a country with people who call potato cakes 'potato scallops' although they're even less scallop than cake.

Now I'm hungry and need my breakfast. 

25 minutes ago, Katy said:

You can get a large box of them at Costco for something like $16. Made in France, a dozen flavors.

I think there's a dozen in the box. . . still cheaper than the place at the mall that sells nothing but macaroons.. 

49 minutes ago, Katy said:

I just received the monthly ad from Sam's club. They're advertising 36 frozen "French Macarons" for $16.98. No word on their origin. I'd probably go with Costco (generally higher quality) anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marbel said:

I just received the monthly ad from Sam's club. They're advertising 36 frozen "French Macarons" for $16.98. No word on their origin. I'd probably go with Costco (generally higher quality) anyway.

$36 for 16.98? I fear they are sawdust and sugar held together with elmer's glue!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marbel said:

We usually buy one box from Costco and one from Sam's because they have different flavors and we find the quality to be about the same. You can get smaller boxes at Aldi's for much cheaper and they are just as good. If you want to know why they cost so much, try making them yourself at home. We only get them for the holidays and they are so sweet that we often cut them in quarters.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wathe said:

So many kinds of cake: fish cakes, cakes of soap, cakes of yeast, dung cakes......

Cake is more like a 'measure word' in Mandarin - a word denoting a certain format of object, e.g., long thin things, flat wide things.

Another one is 'corn' which meant a hard granular thing. So the local most common grain was 'corn' - oats in Scotland, wheat in England,  maize in N. America. Peppercorn is another. And corned beef - made using granules of salt.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

They're patties! 

But I live in a place with potato cakes and they are not cake and not patties.

And I share a country with people who call potato cakes 'potato scallops' although they're even less scallop than cake.

Now I'm hungry and need my breakfast. 

I think potato cakes are a corruption of potato pancakes (according to my German mother in law a German food) . Which are not exactly the same but similar

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

We usually buy one box from Costco and one from Sam's because they have different flavors and we find the quality to be about the same. You can get smaller boxes at Aldi's for much cheaper and they are just as good. If you want to know why they cost so much, try making them yourself at home. We only get them for the holidays and they are so sweet that we often cut them in quarters.

Oh, I think those prices are crazy cheap! I've looked at recipes and instructional videos and know why they cost a lot and why I will never ever make them! I've only had them a few times but I may get a box this Christmas season. Good to know Sam's and Costco are similar. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Cake is more like a 'measure word' in Mandarin - a word denoting a certain format of object, e.g., long thin things, flat wide things.

Another one is 'corn' which meant a hard granular thing. So the local most common grain was 'corn' - oats in Scotland, wheat in England,  maize in N. America. Peppercorn is another. And corned beef - made using granules of salt.

Yes.  Like Korean Tteokbokki "rice cakes", that to me seem more like really thick noodles.

(Which are completely different that the "rice cakes" found in most Canadian grocery stores, used as alternative to bread or toast!)

• Like 1