Menu

Fireworks at weddings?

marbel

Lately I've noticed an increase in fireworks going off around my area, not just as "typical" times/holidays like Independence Day but really just any time. Last night a bunch went off during the Phillies/Braves game, but it was too early to be celebrating a Phillies win. Anyway, just randomly I saw something this morning about people having fireworks displays at their wedding. We have two country clubs nearby that seem to have a lot of parties/receptions (we can sometimes hear the music) so I guess that explains it. 

Anyway, I wondered, are fireworks at weddings a thing where you live?  Apparently they are here in the suburbs of Philadelphia. It is a new trend? 

I don't think it's popular here.  I can't recall any weddings that used fireworks.  But, it wouldn't surprise me - everyone wants to incorporate something unexpected in their event.  (I personally think it's over the top, but so are a lot of things seen at weddings IMO.)

Our state recently legalized an expanded range of personal fireworks, so we hear them more often.  Even before that, there were some people who would blow them off illegally, hoping the neighbors wouldn't blab.

• Like 1

OK, thanks all. I guess it's new to me but not new in the world. I've been to many weddings that had sparklers, which was fun. Full-on big noisy fireworks, not so much. I wonder if I'm hearing more of them now because the windows are open and/or more weddings/receptions are held outdoors in early fall than in the heat/humidity of summer. 

Putting on my old lady get-off-my-lawn voice: I wish it would stop. Fireworks are so common now that they really don't seem at all special anymore. And they cause so many problems. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

Lately I've noticed an increase in fireworks going off around my area, not just as "typical" times/holidays like Independence Day but really just any time. Last night a bunch went off during the Phillies/Braves game, but it was too early to be celebrating a Phillies win. Anyway, just randomly I saw something this morning about people having fireworks displays at their wedding. We have two country clubs nearby that seem to have a lot of parties/receptions (we can sometimes hear the music) so I guess that explains it. 

Anyway, I wondered, are fireworks at weddings a thing where you live?  Apparently they are here in the suburbs of Philadelphia. It is a new trend? 

If you live near Smyrna - it might have been the Jonquil festival.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was wedding celebrations or something else, but at least two times this summer I noticed some beautiful fireworks desplays along the river side where there are large homes but not really large social facilities. The fireworks went on for at least 10 min, and were exceptional. I'd assume that they were professionally done due to both the quality of the displays and the fact that a licence is needed outside of specific holidays. 

• Like 1

Not a thing in my area. There are few venues available and all of them have fire policies, no open flames, nor fireworks, etc. Fireworks are legal on the holidays, but they can cite people for use in our township at other times. Federal Holidays are the guideline. We mostly only hear them Memorial Day and Independence Day on the weekend before or day of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I had to look that up - I didn't know there was a Smyrna PA!  Nope, nowhere near. 

I  thought you lived near the Braves Stadium in Geogria and that you were my secret neighbor!  - ha ha! Earlier today my mom asked why the  Braves would have had fireworks after they lost; I told her it was the Smyrna  festival. (not happy about the loss BTW)

• Like 1

I’ve seen it now and then on social media but not anyone I know personally. 

We did attend one wedding where the guest held sparklers and lined up for a send off with the bride and groom walking between then to their getaway car. Personally I was not a fan because though it was festive, I’d have been livid to get a burned spot on my dress or husband’s suit (or a bridal gown!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

OK, thanks all. I guess it's new to me but not new in the world. I've been to many weddings that had sparklers, which was fun. Full-on big noisy fireworks, not so much. I wonder if I'm hearing more of them now because the windows are open and/or more weddings/receptions are held outdoors in early fall than in the heat/humidity of summer. 

Putting on my old lady get-off-my-lawn voice: I wish it would stop. Fireworks are so common now that they really don't seem at all special anymore. And they cause so many problems. 

Agreeing. It’s never ending. I wish there were strict limitations. It is traumatic for my Afghan friends and for so many soldiers and animals. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lmrich said:

I  thought you lived near the Braves Stadium in Geogria and that you were my secret neighbor!  - ha ha! Earlier today my mom asked why the  Braves would have had fireworks after they lost; I told her it was the Smyrna  festival. (not happy about the loss BTW)

Oh LOL When I think of Smyrna, I do think of GA, but I live in PA, in the Philly suburbs. So I was happy about the game last night.  But I did find a Smyrna in PA! 

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Oh LOL When I think of Smyrna, I do think of GA, but I live in PA, in the Philly suburbs. So I was happy about the game last night.  But I did find a Smyrna in PA! 

There is a Smyrna in TN too. I wonder how many states have one? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I haven't been to a wedding in ages but as far as I know it's not a thing here. I've heard them going off the night of high school graduation so I guess that's now a thing.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:21 AM, marbel said:

Lately I've noticed an increase in fireworks going off around my area, not just as "typical" times/holidays like Independence Day but really just any time.

On 10/8/2023 at 10:01 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Not that I’ve seen, but people do random fireworks around here. 

People do random fireworks around here. Apparently any reason is a good reason to set them off. Also, people don't just set them off the nights of the two big US fireworks holidays but they start well before. Fourth of July is Tuesday? Great, let's start setting off fireworks the Thursday before. I love official fireworks displays but the people setting them off randomly is annoying. 

21 hours ago, marbel said:

I had to look that up - I didn't know there was a Smyrna PA!  Nope, nowhere near. 

14 hours ago, marbel said:

Oh LOL When I think of Smyrna, I do think of GA, 

11 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

There is a Smyrna in TN too. I wonder how many states have one? 

In Florida we have NEW Smyrna Beach. It was actually settled by Greeks from what was then Ottoman Smyrna, Crete, and Mani though that original colony failed. The town founder's wife was the daughter of a merchant from actual Smyrna. 

• Like 2