Menu

Explain paying for college

2ndGenHomeschooler

I say this every time a thread like this comes up, but I do think a lot of lowish income parents with academically high-achieving students aren't aware that there so many schools out there that meet demonstrated need or come close (often through a combo of need-based and merit aid). Either they don't think their income is low enough for significant aid or they don't think their kids can get in because they assume every school that meets need is Harvard level or they just aren't aware of the vast landscape of colleges out there beyond public universities. It's certainly true that this won't be helpful for every situation, by a long shot, but it's definitely worth running some net price calculators at colleges that meet demonstrated need and seeing what things look like before you rule them out. AND looking at student profiles at some of these schools to see if your kid has a shot...they're not all Ivy League and equivalent schools. Just to throw one example out there, St. Olaf meets demonstrated need and has a 66% acceptance rate in the non-binding Early Action round. 1350 median SAT/30 ACT. So it's not easy to get into, exactly, but it's not Harvard, either. With the caveat, as pointed out by Farrar, that most of these schools are need aware, so borderline kids with greater financial need are going to lose out to borderline kids who can pay full price. I've sent two kids to private colleges that meet need now and in both cases it's been as cheap or cheaper than keeping them in-state (but living on campus) would have been, and that's even living in a state where tuition would have been free for them (i.e. we would have been responsible for room and board and fees). And we're not rich by any means, but we're not destitute, either. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I would really look hard at what the 1-year Bible certificate will help her with. It may totally be worth it just for the education/knowledge gained, and the opportunity to spread her wings and be out on her own -- but that can be a very expensive sort of way to gain that experience -- esp. if mom & dad are paying for some/all of it, or if DD has to go into debt for it.

Could the Bible learning/education happen at home through an online program?
Could the going away experience happen through a work-abroad kind of program?
What about just getting a job and moving into an apartment with a friend and start living actual "adulting"?
Or a volunteering/missions sort of program where her work there pays for her living expenses?

What about AmeriCorps?
Secular, domestic version of the Peace Corps; you volunteer (no pay, but are given food/housing stipend), and work in the area you apply for/are accepted somewhere in the U.S.; the length of your volunteering commitment (3-, 6-, 9-, or 12-months) provides a college tuition credit at the end of that time that can be used any time in the 7 years after earning it. (

(Our DS#2 served 9 months with a trail restoration group under AmeriCorps, and earned a $4,000 credit that he thought he would never use, but when he moved into wildland firefighting, he was able to use it to pay his tuition for an accelerated EMT course)

All that to say, do a lot of research with your 19yo, and have a lot of talks:
- WHY does she want to go to college?
- And what is her end goal, not only about college, but beyond?
- How (or not) would a 1-year certificate from a Bible College help her get to those goals?
- Why that Bible College? (is it just for the fun of a year-long "sleep over" with a friend 😉 )
- Has she done any career exploration -- both to see what's out there, but also how does a person get to that career of interest -- does it take a college degree? Maybe only on-the-job training, or a certificate, or an Associate's (AAS) degree? Or maybe not only a Bachelor's, but also a Master's and maybe a PhD? And if it does take advanced degrees, how would THOSE be paid for?

If career exploration would be a good first step, check out the bottom of PAGE 6 of that College Motherlode thread pinned at the top of the WTM college board. Here are a few to get you started: 

CAREER EXPLORATION
Career testing/counseling (2nd post links tons of resources for tests, exploration, curricula, etc.) 

career exploration
How to explore possible career/major fits? 
Ideas for [putting together a] course on career research/planning 

career tests
Best free or cheap career tests? 
Career aptitude testing free? 
How to explore possible career/major fits?

career guidance
How do you do career guidance as a homeschooler? 
College and career planning 
How to help students choose a career (responses include ideas for career exploration)

This DD has been a puzzle to me for all of her teenage years. She greatly disliked school and pushed back all through high school. We eventually managed to accomplish the absolute basics. She’s artist and creative and enjoys painting, drawing, crocheting, music, baking, flower arranging, etc. She did NOT like it if I tried to incorporate these things into her school work in any way. She does not want to work in any related fields. She thinks if she does any of these things for a job that she’ll end up hating them. She’s excellent with kids and running a group and teaching. She’s not interested in making a career out of any of those things either. 

She has a friend at the Bible college and another going in the spring. They tell her school is like being at camp. The one friend has been there a year already, is on the soccer team, involved in music, and has a boyfriend. DD isn’t breaking into that and I’ve tried to gently point that out. She isn’t interested in the limited sports opportunities there or participating in the very conservative music programs. So she would take a bunch of Bible classes. She enjoyed a Bible Study she did locally and thinks she might enjoy getting the Bible certificate. Except that she absolutely hates to write (it took until her senior year before she could write an almost decent paragraph), and isn’t understanding that she will have to write in school. 

I think she mostly wants an experience away from home. I don’t think this is a good way to get it. I worry that the school seems legalistic and I would prefer my kids avoid that. I don’t think it’s a good use of her time or money. I don’t see how it would allow for any of the things she loves and that make her who she is. I’ve had a few conversations with her about it, trying to share my concerns as carefully as possible while also figuring out exactly what she‘s looking to accomplish there. I think there are much better ways to find what she’s looking for. A local young adult Bible Study, getting an apartment with a friend, a short term missions trip or volunteer work, anything really. 

She has recently started a full time job that basically dropped into her lap out of nowhere. She’s saving most of what she makes toward this certificate program. She’s working for a small company building camera scopes. She seems to really enjoy it and it sounds like she’s picking it up quickly. I’m hoping working there gives her some direction. In the meantime, I’m trying to walk a fine line of being supportive while also sharing my own experiences, regrets, and concerns. 

• Like 1

@kokotg that is a good reminder for kids that sit in that sweet spot to benefit from those needs met schools. 

I think in this particular case the OP is indicating that her students are not that type of student exactly but I could certainly be wrong. My oldest ds was in that range of student and our income was such to make those meets need schools viable options but now that we are down to our last couple kids (who are higher achievers actually) our situation is such that those are no longer options and it doesn’t feel like dh is all of a sudden making tons more money. So it doesn’t take alot to move from those being affordable to not at all. We moved through that just in dh getting some raises and us launching some kids. 

But I agree that those schools are options for some students. And while a 30 ACT isn’t Harvard level and seems average around here the way our discussions sometimes go, it is still a score that isn’t in reach for a lot of kids. So again- it’s a very individual thing. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I say this every time a thread like this comes up, but I do think a lot of lowish income parents with academically high-achieving students aren't aware that there so many schools out there that meet demonstrated need or come close (often through a combo of need-based and merit aid). Either they don't think their income is low enough for significant aid or they don't think their kids can get in because they assume every school that meets need is Harvard level or they just aren't aware of the vast landscape of colleges out there beyond public universities. It's certainly true that this won't be helpful for every situation, by a long shot, but it's definitely worth running some net price calculators at colleges that meet demonstrated need and seeing what things look like before you rule them out. AND looking at student profiles at some of these schools to see if your kid has a shot...they're not all Ivy League and equivalent schools. Just to throw one example out there, St. Olaf meets demonstrated need and has a 66% acceptance rate in the non-binding Early Action round. 1350 median SAT/30 ACT. So it's not easy to get into, exactly, but it's not Harvard, either. With the caveat, as pointed out by Farrar, that most of these schools are need aware, so borderline kids with greater financial need are going to lose out to borderline kids who can pay full price. I've sent two kids to private colleges that meet need now and in both cases it's been as cheap or cheaper than keeping them in-state (but living on campus) would have been, and that's even living in a state where tuition would have been free for them (i.e. we would have been responsible for room and board and fees). And we're not rich by any means, but we're not destitute, either. 

I have heard this, but I don’t think we’d be considered low income and my kids aren’t high achieving academically. I pretty much dragged one through school and the next one didn’t start really applying herself til this year. And she struggles with math. My next one does pretty well but has no desire to go to college and is very likely dyslexic which gets in the way sometimes. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

@kokotg that is a good reminder for kids that sit in that sweet spot to benefit from those needs met schools. 

I think in this particular case the OP is indicating that her students are not that type of student exactly but I could certainly be wrong. My oldest ds was in that range of student and our income was such to make those meets need schools viable options but now that we are down to our last couple kids (who are higher achievers actually) our situation is such that those are no longer options and it doesn’t feel like dh is all of a sudden making tons more money. So it doesn’t take alot to move from those being affordable to not at all. We moved through that just in dh getting some raises and us launching some kids. 

But I agree that those schools are options for some students. And while a 30 ACT isn’t Harvard level and seems average around here the way our discussions sometimes go, it is still a score that isn’t in reach for a lot of kids. So again- it’s a very individual thing. 

Yes. I threw it out there mostly because the title of the thread was so general (i.e. people from the future might be here looking for more general advice than the OP) and because I felt like most of the personal experiences here were tilting in a different direction (private colleges were unaffordable for us)...I thought it might be helpful to say that I'm a real person whose kids did benefit from this particular aspect of our convoluted college system, even if it's not necessarily relevant for the OP. I.e...yes, it's a very individual thing! But this scenario does exist and not everyone who could benefit from it realizes it's out there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I have heard this, but I don’t think we’d be considered low income and my kids aren’t high achieving academically. I pretty much dragged one through school and the next one didn’t start really applying herself til this year. And she struggles with math. My next one does pretty well but has no desire to go to college and is very likely dyslexic which gets in the way sometimes. 

It's a problem living in a HCOL area like the northeast - the schools and FAFSA absolutely do NOT take regional COL into account, so earning a even very modest income here will take you out of the running for a lot of need-based aid, and if you're just plain old middle class they act like you're rich and please give us ALL your money. 😡

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

It's a problem living in a HCOL area like the northeast - the schools and FAFSA absolutely do NOT take regional COL into account, so earning a even very modest income here will take you out of the running for a lot of need-based aid, and if you're just plain old middle class they act like you're rich and please give us ALL your money. 😡

I have always thought this made no sense. I’m in a LCOL area and I’ve always thought how even more ridiculous it is for those in a HCOL area to apply the same formula. So I definitely hear you.

But if it makes you feel even the teensiest bit better…even in a LCOL area with a very modest middle class income..they still think we should give them ALL our money!  

It’s all ridiculous it is just like ridiculous and ridiculous+ 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

YES! On paper it looks like we make a lot of money. But less than six figures for a family of six in this state puts us below middle class according to what I’ve read. My DH is a first responder and I’ve supplemented his income over the years teaching piano lessons and now cleaning an Airbnb. Our kids work odd jobs and get regular jobs as soon as they are able to provide their own spending money. We’ve learned to live within our means and are mostly comfortable but these college calculators seem to think our income goes further than it actually does. It’s ok. We’ve managed to provide our kids some great opportunities by doing a lot of research, being resourceful, and thinking outside the box. We’ll just have to do the same for college. 

• Like 3

Don't overlook National Merit.  I just now joining in because OP kids seem past the 11th grade.  But, now that conversation has broadened, I bring it up.  There are many schools that give free rides, some with stipends, for NMSF and NMF.  But, to have a fairly reasonable shot of reaching NMSF takes some planning starting around 7th grade.  A kid  that has completed Precalc (rather than Alg 2)  by end of 10th grade will have more than enough math to do well.  The verbal portion is very teachable.  Just take a couple of practice tests in 8th grade and  start  training any weakness.  Then 9th and 10th grade start taking practice SAT tests--the NM test and SAT are very similar.  the SAT is a little more challenging, but not that much more.   Plus you kill two birds with one stone, by prepping with SAT materials. The reason a lot of really smart kids don't make NMSF is because most high schools treat it like a practice SAT exam.  No prep or practice, just get a baseline for the  real SAT.   In my state, a high achievement state, NMSF are kids most likely to get 1500 on the SAT.  In some very high achievement areas like MD or D.C., the winners are kids likely to 1530+ on the SAT, However, there are many low achievement states, where a projected 1380 might make it.  

The actual amount of money National Merit awards is one time $2500.  But, there are a lot of schools that will offer full rides for NMSF or NMF, regardless of financial circumstances.  If I remember correctly, there were even a few schools that we looked at that did not even require a financial aid app.  It didn't help my kid because most of the very generous National Merit scholarships schools are in the south or mid-west.   My kid only applied Northeast, and one on the west coast. 

On 10/1/2023 at 3:42 PM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

So I can talk to the financial aid offices of schools even before they apply? That would be helpful. Are they likely to give me accurate information and a decent ballpark figure? Not exact of course, but close enough to be useful? 

A question about merit aid….how would I know if my DC are likely to get merit aid? Is this based off of SAT/ACT test scores? Neither of my older DDs have taken these. Can students who have already graduated take them? 

Yes, you can talk to the financial aid offices at schools before you apply.  Often if you visit a campus that you might be interested in, it is possible to set up a meeting with someone from financial aid.  They will be able to give you an idea of what to expect.  The more information you can provide them, the better the ballpark figure will be.  What it takes to qualify for merit aid (and exactly what the school considers in awarding merit aid) will vary greatly across schools.  

You mentioned that one of your children might be interested in a certificate program rather than in pursuing a degree at the college.  Be sure to mention that to the school because some aid that is available to degree-seeking students may not be available to someone pursing a certificate.  (But there may be other financial considerations with that program.)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cintinative said:

I have heard a lot of "private schools' tuition are similar to public u's after all the scholarships and discounts" stuff. 

What I’ve realized being on various boards, is that many of those commenters typically have a budget of $35,000 or under for a year of college. So in those cases, yes- quite a few private schools will come in similar to those amounts with scholarships and aid, and be comparable to their public flagship option.  My dd’s friend got about $55,000 in aid from an $80k private school. $25k is a good deal for some folks- it is very comparable to tuition, room and board at many public universities, and in some states, less.

but when your budget is really low and you’re looking at your public option as being CC or commuting, then no- private schools probably won’t come close at all.

Theres a huge range of what people find affordable. Many seem resigned to $25k/year as being the bare minimum/low end of what they’ll have to pay. That’s not my version of low budget, but I think that’s where the conversation gets skewed. We were looking for way cheaper than that! Lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

This DD has been a puzzle to me for all of her teenage years. She greatly disliked school and pushed back all through high school. We eventually managed to accomplish the absolute basics. She’s artist and creative and enjoys painting, drawing, crocheting, music, baking, flower arranging, etc. She did NOT like it if I tried to incorporate these things into her school work in any way. She does not want to work in any related fields. She thinks if she does any of these things for a job that she’ll end up hating them. She’s excellent with kids and running a group and teaching. She’s not interested in making a career out of any of those things either. 

She has a friend at the Bible college and another going in the spring. They tell her school is like being at camp. The one friend has been there a year already, is on the soccer team, involved in music, and has a boyfriend. DD isn’t breaking into that and I’ve tried to gently point that out. She isn’t interested in the limited sports opportunities there or participating in the very conservative music programs. So she would take a bunch of Bible classes. She enjoyed a Bible Study she did locally and thinks she might enjoy getting the Bible certificate. Except that she absolutely hates to write (it took until her senior year before she could write an almost decent paragraph), and isn’t understanding that she will have to write in school. 

I think she mostly wants an experience away from home. I don’t think this is a good way to get it. I worry that the school seems legalistic and I would prefer my kids avoid that. I don’t think it’s a good use of her time or money. I don’t see how it would allow for any of the things she loves and that make her who she is. I’ve had a few conversations with her about it, trying to share my concerns as carefully as possible while also figuring out exactly what she‘s looking to accomplish there. I think there are much better ways to find what she’s looking for. A local young adult Bible Study, getting an apartment with a friend, a short term missions trip or volunteer work, anything really. 

She has recently started a full time job that basically dropped into her lap out of nowhere. She’s saving most of what she makes toward this certificate program. She’s working for a small company building camera scopes. She seems to really enjoy it and it sounds like she’s picking it up quickly. I’m hoping working there gives her some direction. In the meantime, I’m trying to walk a fine line of being supportive while also sharing my own experiences, regrets, and concerns. 

Yeah, I’d not be paying for a year of “camp” either. Sounds like you are right on that her interests and desires can be met in many other ways than going away for college. Maybe investigate Christian gap year programs that offer service/work and discipleship and the adventure of being away from home?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Yeah, I’d not be paying for a year of “camp” either. Sounds like you are right on that her interests and desires can be met in many other ways than going away for college. Maybe investigate Christian gap year programs that offer service/work and discipleship and the adventure of being away from home?

It feels weird to discourage a year of Bible college. So many people we know think it‘s wonderful. But there are so many cheaper, easier ways to study the Bible if that’s what she really wants to do. Unless she wanted to go into some sort of ministry of course, but that’s not her goal. This is a tough one for me because I have a lot of baggage in this area. I don’t want to bring that into it or let it color my perspective, but of course it does in some ways. I’m sure it‘a not exactly like being camp for a year. I think the friends’ mom who was telling me about was describing it to me that way as a selling point, but I don’t think young adults need to spend a year at “camp” so that was another check in the negative box for me. 

So here I am trying to find and walk a fine line between supporting my DD while also encouraging her to think carefully about what she chooses to do. We can’t pay for it, and it’s nice in a way that we don’t have the option. I’m not helping fill out the application but I answer questions about it if she asks. I encouraged her to read through the website and handbook carefully, read about the teachers, and listen to them speak if she can find anything online. I filled out the FAFSA and will be sure her transcript is ready. I told her some of my concerns but also let her know that I‘d support whatever decision she makes. I’m researching other options. And then I’m hoping and praying that everything works out as it’s supposed to. Parenting young adults is hard. 

Thanks for the suggestion of Christian gap year programs. I wasn’t quite sure what search term to use and I think this will be helpful. 

Edited by 2ndGenHomeschooler
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

It feels weird to discourage a year of Bible college. So many people we know think it‘s wonderful. But there are so many cheaper, easier ways to study the Bible if that’s what she really wants to do. Unless she wanted to go into some sort of ministry of course, but that’s not her goal. This is a tough one for me because I have a lot of baggage in this area. I don’t want to bring that into it or let it color my perspective, but of course it does in some ways. I’m sure it‘a not exactly like being camp for a year. I think the friends’ mom who was telling me about was describing it to me that way as a selling point, but I don’t think young adults need to spend a year at “camp” so that was another check in the negative box for me. 

So here I am trying to find and walk a fine line between supporting my DD while also encouraging her to think carefully about what she chooses to do. We can’t pay for it, and it’s nice in a way that we don’t have the option. I’m not helping fill out the application but I answer questions about it if she asks. I encouraged her to read through the website and handbook carefully, read about the teachers, and listen to them speak if she can find anything online. I filled out the FAFSA and will be sure her transcript is ready. I told her some of my concerns but also let her know that I‘d support whatever decision she makes. I’m researching other options. And then I’m hoping and praying that everything works out as it’s supposed to. Parenting young adults is hard. 

Thanks for the suggestion of Christian gap year programs. I wasn’t quite sure what search term to use and I think this will be helpful. 

If she really wants to do the Bible college program, could she earn the money to go? Is there a less expensive place she could attend and get a similar experience?

3 hours ago, matrips said:

What I’ve realized being on various boards, is that many of those commenters typically have a budget of $35,000 or under for a year of college. So in those cases, yes- quite a few private schools will come in similar to those amounts with scholarships and aid, and be comparable to their public flagship option.  My dd’s friend got about $55,000 in aid from an $80k private school. $25k is a good deal for some folks- it is very comparable to tuition, room and board at many public universities, and in some states, less.

but when your budget is really low and you’re looking at your public option as being CC or commuting, then no- private schools probably won’t come close at all.

Theres a huge range of what people find affordable. Many seem resigned to $25k/year as being the bare minimum/low end of what they’ll have to pay. That’s not my version of low budget, but I think that’s where the conversation gets skewed. We were looking for way cheaper than that! Lol.

I wish I could like your post a dozen times. 

A lot of this private school "aid" isn't really a scholarship. A lot of it is simply a discount the school is giving.

"Today, most private colleges discount their published tuition by 60% or more for virtually every student."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shoeless said:

If she really wants to do the Bible college program, could she earn the money to go? Is there a less expensive place she could attend and get a similar experience?

She is working full time right now to earn the money. I don’t know about other options. I asked her if she was interested in looking at other options and she said she wants to see if this works out first. In the meantime, I’m researching other options to see if I can find something more affordable, that would suite who she is better, and that I would be more comfortable with. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 8:47 PM, matrips said:

I know I've said it, mostly because our in state publics are expensive for even in state students. Our state flagship would run over $30k a year for us. The only school we've looked at where the net price calculator is coming in higher is an out of state public (at $33k). There are two contenders for cheapest that we're looking at. One at just over $23k (an out of state public) and one just under it (a private school). And, no, I don't think $23k/year counts as affordable. But even if our kid lives at home, the net price calculator for the local public 4-year is showing over $25k (that's without room and board!).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! My daughter’s chosen university is less than $10K a year before any grants! That’s with commuting. Her estimated cost is around 7K. Thinking it will be less after possible scholarships. Realizing how blessed we are! I also did some research on other universities within an hour and half drive and hers is the only one offering a master’s degree in occupational therapy except for one private school that is much more expensive. I didn’t realize how blessed we are in this area until reading this thread! 

I’m really sorry that some of you don’t have better options. We could never afford those prices!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Melanie32 said:

Wow! My daughter’s chosen university is less than $10K a year before any grants! That’s with commuting. Her estimated cost is around 7K.

Do you live in Florida? That pricing sounds like our universities, and yes we have a great deal! Especially when kids can often earn merit scholarships from the state that will then pay all of it!  Or scholarships from the school on top of that and then get refunds. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matrips said:

Do you live in Florida? That pricing sounds like our universities, and yes we have a great deal! Especially when kids can often earn merit scholarships from the state that will then pay all of it!  Or scholarships from the school on top of that and then get refunds. 

I do live in Florida! 😊 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, Farrar said:

I'll bullet point it for you. The cost...

• Very few families pay what we call "sticker price." That's the price on the website that it says the college costs.
  • There is something called the EFC, which is changing to the SAI this year with the new FAFSA. This is the amount the government has determined, based on your income and finances, that your family can pay. You're "full pay" if that number is above the sticker price for a school. If it's very small, like $5k or even zero or a negative number, then you're high need. Many families fall somewhere in between. And that's not the only calculation of need going on.
  • The cost the college offers you depends on two things:
    • YOUR income. They are either offering you financial aid based on your income or gaming out how much they think you can pay based on your income. This is need-based aid, but sometimes it can also be classified as merit-based aid even though the school is offering it based partly on your income and what they think they can get you to give them for your kid to attend.
    • How much above the school's stats your student is. The more above the school's average stats, the more likely they are to offer the student additional money to attend. That's merit-aid.
  • Private universities give a lot of aid. Tippy top schools may ONLY give need-based aid and zero merit. They are basing it only on your demonstrated family need. 
  • Some private universities, especially ones with a greater than 60% acceptance rate or so may give mostly merit aid. At many of these schools, close to 100% of students are receiving merit aid.
  • Many public universities give a lot less aid than private ones. It really depends on the school and the state. Some give to out of state students, some only to in state students. 
  • You cannot know what price a school will offer you unless you do the NET PRICE CALCULATOR for the specific school. It will vary from school to school. Remember, different schools give different types of aid.

The loans...

• The majority of students can take out federal student loans. These begin at $5500 for the first year for most students and increase a bit each year. That's all traditional students can borrow on their own. That's IT.
  • Other loans are loans that parents are taking out with the student. You should be very careful about these. Especially be careful about the Parent PLUS loans. I usually advise families not to take those. The terms aren't great.
  • In other words, just because a student gets in somewhere, they can't just, boom, take out the total amount to go. They don't let them. The amount they're allowed to take is really small.

Getting funded...

• The right schools to apply to based on the above depend on the level of need based aid and merit based aid.
  • There are lots of schools that meet full need, but those schools tend to be very hard to get into. 
  • Some of the schools that meet full need are taking it into account when evaluating your student. They meet full need... but only if they let your student in. They may limit how many high need students they admit each year. The schools that are both meets need and need blind (see that list) are nearly all single digit acceptance schools.
  • Starting at a community college may save money or not. There tends to be more need-based aid for first year students. And the graduation rates are better as well (less time spent getting the degree is less money spent). But also, sometimes it's the only path a family can afford and it's not like there isn't any aid for transfer students. It depends on lots of factors.

This is really good.  The only thing I would add is that your oldest will probably get the largest amount of federal financial aid with less for each subsequent kid because the difference of your income as a household of 4 dependents vs income as a household with 1 dependent is significant.  If your youngest seems likely to attend college, you may want to plan ahead for them in terms of savings, 529, etc.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, silver said:

I know I've said it, mostly because our in state publics are expensive for even in state students. Our state flagship would run over $30k a year for us. The only school we've looked at where the net price calculator is coming in higher is an out of state public (at $33k). There are two contenders for cheapest that we're looking at. One at just over $23k (an out of state public) and one just under it (a private school). And, no, I don't think $23k/year counts as affordable. But even if our kid lives at home, the net price calculator for the local public 4-year is showing over $25k (that's without room and board!).

That is very unfortunate.  We have never lived in a state where that has been the case for in-state tuition.  (Multiple states since we have moved a lot.)  Our current state (not FL like another poster), the 23-24 full-time tuition/fees is approx $12.5k.  Only with housing/food is it around $25k.  Your situation is really horrible.  I cannot imagine having no affordable in-state options.  I'm sorry your family is facing that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eos said:

This is really good.  The only thing I would add is that your oldest will probably get the largest amount of federal financial aid with less for each subsequent kid because the difference of your income as a household of 4 dependents vs income as a household with 1 dependent is significant.  If your youngest seems likely to attend college, you may want to plan ahead for them in terms of savings, 529, etc.  

We've started saving for our youngest already--much earlier than for his brothers. I will, say, though, that I anticipate paying more OOP for him WILL be less painful than it would have been for his brothers, because we save a lot of money having fewer kids at home--fewer to feed, pay for assorted actives and classes for, etc. I'm always a bit taken aback when people on Facebook groups and the like don't seem to take this into account at all when they're thinking about college costs. 

• Like 1

Something that was only briefly mentioned but that can significantly affect costs for those doing the 2 + 2 option—even for states and U’s with automatic transfer agreements, you need to look really closely at HOW courses transfer. Make sure courses within majors transfer to the major and not just as electives, and make sure sequences of courses work out. Map out all needed courses at the transfer school and check it with an advisor. It will probably be easiest for those pursuing liberal arts degrees. My oldest did this. His whole associates degree transferred, and his chosen major plus the 4-year school’s required courses equaled another 60 credits—so he was able to graduate in the time we expected.

Degrees that have specialized courses, though, may not transfer as well. Engineering is often one where scope and sequence make a huge difference, and the student may end up with gaps and need 3 years at the 4-year school. Science sequences can be hard to meet if kids have all gen-Ed’s out of the way, and that can add on time. (In some cases, kids also end up ina situation where they only have hard courses left right away when they transfer, and that is sometimes challenging, especially if they have gpa requirements to meet for the major or for a scholarship.)

My dd was going into teaching, and only one of our state U’s was willing to accept all of her prior coursework toward the degree. The others would transfer some classes only as electives and would make her retake their specific courses (with the same titles!) They just only wanted to give the credit toward the major if their instructor taught it. And having lots of transferable electives is not always useful! Adding on a semester or a full year is costly. I wanted her to go to my son’s school, only 1 hour away, but the better deal was at the school 3 hours away.

All that to say, automatic transfer doesn’t mean the coursework applies the way the student needs it to, and either you or the student needs to thoroughly investigate. The community college’s advisors can only help to a point, and the transfer school’s advisors also only help to a point. Plan on being your student’s “transfer school advisor,” and leave no stone unturned as you investigate how courses will transfer and what your student’s remaining sequence of needed coursework will look like. Transferology is a website that can help, and the 4-year school’s website can help.

We found it beneficial to also make an appointment and meet with the department head or advisor in person to get more involved questions answered. If they can’t answer, get another opinion or move on (we talked with one school’s advisor who couldn’t give us any more info than was on the school website, couldn’t answer specific questions about requirements, and went digging for a brochure for answers…no thanks! We just couldn’t afford big financial hits due to an advisor’s lack of experience with transfer situations.) Going in person also helped my kids imagine themselves at the school and made the transition a bit easier.

Another option to save money that isn’t for everyone is to take classes online while living at home. Online classes are not always the best, and also, some kids don’t learn well that way. My youngest is finishing out that way, though, and it’s working for her. She’s going part time and working at our local library, and loves her job. One year away and a summer mission trip was enough adventure for her, I guess!

Both of my kids got transfer scholarships from their U’s (2500/year for up to 3 years), and some smaller scholarships, as well as some from the CC. One was automatic based on ACT scores, and one was based on gpa from the CC. Our state also offers a grant, and then they paid for some and we paid for some. They each have one $5,000 loan. We had estimated them needing 15k in loans, which still seemed reasonable considering everything, but Covid eliminated that need for oldest (forced online courses) and then youngest opting to finish online will save her from further loans.

Gap years, if needed, can impact scholarships. Both of mine took gap years. One took one between CC and  4-year, and that was fine. The other took a gap-year mid 4-year school, though, and lost the transfer scholarship that way.

One last comment on expenses…consider travel if your kids want to go out of state. How much will it cost to get them and their stuff there, how often will they come home, will you want to visit, what you might need to spend if your child has medical or emotional need mid-semester…make sure the travel is affordable. Location can make travel costs add up quickly, and it’s an important consideration when finances are tight. 

I hope you can find solutions that will help your kids meet their goals! I know this is overwhelming…but you figured out homeschooling and can figure this out, too!

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, silver said:

You must be nearby. In-state is right at 20k/yr for tuition and fees alone and the main state campuses are in the middle of nowhere. Out of state public flagships are the same price, sometimes less, and private schools can be considerably less OOP. Our neighboring state flagships are in more desirable locations for young professionals too.

Seconding what @MerryAtHope and others have said about being careful that cc is the best path or even a possible one (even if it’s free!), given your child’s particular interests, intended major, and previous coursework. My Dd is a freshman in third year foreign language and our ccs don’t even offer that particular language, nevermind at that level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Something that was only briefly mentioned but that can significantly affect costs for those doing the 2 + 2 option—even for states and U’s with automatic transfer agreements, you need to look really closely at HOW courses transfer. Make sure courses within majors transfer to the major and not just as electives, and make sure sequences of courses work out. Map out all needed courses at the transfer school and check it with an advisor. It will probably be easiest for those pursuing liberal arts degrees. My oldest did this. His whole associates degree transferred, and his chosen major plus the 4-year school’s required courses equaled another 60 credits—so he was able to graduate in the time we expected.

This.  The 2+2 option is fantastic, but it must be done very intentionally.  My dd did this, but we were very careful to map that she completed the freshman/sophomore requirements for her intended major at the CC before transfer, and that she took the correct courses that would count as pre-reqs for the upper-level courses, and she was able to do this and complete in just two more years in a major that does have a very prescribed course flow (Business/Accounting).   I also have a friend whose kid did this even for Computer Science - but again, they made sure they took the correct course sequence and that the courses did transfer and as the proper pre-req courses in the sequence at the target 4-yr school.

You have to be very, very intentional about it.  You have to do your homework.  Getting a general AA or taking some sample classes in an intended major with a heavy load of freshman/sophomore prereqs for upper-level classes will not knock two years off your degree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing with @MerryAtHope and @Matryoshka.

What you want to look for is an articulation agreement, or a "transfer credit" website, that specifically lists how courses from the CC will transfer to the future university.

We are fortunate -- our CC has a special transfer AA degree that all 3 of our state universities guarantee to accept as fulfilling the first 2 years of coursework for the universities' degrees. BUT, you MUST choose from the list of specific courses -- other courses will be considered "electives" and not count toward the future degree.

DS#1 went this route twice, first knocking out the first 2 years of his BA in general humanities, and then again for his BS in Mechanical Engineering. But every single semester, before signing up for classes, we would together go very carefully over the required classes at the future university and compare with both the transfer AA list of courses AND the transfer credit website to make sure there were no mistakes and that everything would transfer for credit for the degree.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to consider as a transfer, especially if you are a non-traditional student, is that summer sessions will cut down the time you need to finish. My dd changed intended majors and applied to an out of state school with very different gen ed requirements. I dreaded how few credits would usefully transfer and how long it would take her to finish until I started mapping it out with her. (I did most of the internet digging because she didn't have consistent wifi on her ship.)

It turned out that she could CLEP three classes that she needed but didn't line up with her AA credits. These are turning out to be fairly easy since she had some baseline knowledge and experience studying using online resources. That shaved off a semester for her.

When we started mapping out a course plan, we realized that classes are offered consistently during the summer because it's an online degree program. So she can do 2 classes each semester for 3 semesters each year. That means that she can finish 9 semesters in 3 calendar years. She has the advantage that she doesn't have to worry about looking for an internship since she has a resume-building full time job. If your student is flexible, they might get an internship that's not during the summer and use online courses to get a few credits done. There are lots of options and work-arounds if you do your research and are flexible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Degrees that have specialized courses, though, may not transfer as well. Engineering is often one where scope and sequence make a huge difference, and the student may end up with gaps and need 3 years at the 4-year school. Science sequences can be hard to meet if kids have all gen-Ed’s out of the way, and that can add on time. (In some cases, kids also end up ina situation where they only have hard courses left right away when they transfer, and that is sometimes challenging, especially if they have gpa requirements to meet for the major or for a scholarship.)

My dd was going into teaching, and only one of our state U’s was willing to accept all of her prior coursework toward the degree. The others would transfer some classes only as electives and would make her retake their specific courses (with the same titles!) They just only wanted to give the credit toward the major if their instructor taught it. And having lots of transferable electives is not always useful! Adding on a semester or a full year is costly. I wanted her to go to my son’s school, only 1 hour away, but the better deal was at the school 3 hours away.

All that to say, automatic transfer doesn’t mean the coursework applies the way the student needs it to, and either you or the student needs to thoroughly investigate. The community college’s advisors can only help to a point, and the transfer school’s advisors also only help to a point. Plan on being your student’s “transfer school advisor,” and leave no stone unturned as you investigate how courses will transfer and what your student’s remaining sequence of needed coursework will look like. Transferology is a website that can help, and the 4-year school’s website can help.

We found it beneficial to also make an appointment and meet with the department head or advisor in person to get more involved questions answered. If they can’t answer, get another opinion or move on (we talked with one school’s advisor who couldn’t give us any more info than was on the school website, couldn’t answer specific questions about requirements, and went digging for a brochure for answers…no thanks! We just couldn’t afford big financial hits due to an advisor’s lack of experience with transfer situations.) Going in person also helped my kids imagine themselves at the school and made the transition a bit easier.

Another option to save money that isn’t for everyone is to take classes online while living at home. Online classes are not always the best, and also, some kids don’t learn well that way. My youngest is finishing out that way, though, and it’s working for her. She’s going part time and working at our local library, and loves her job. One year away and a summer mission trip was enough adventure for her, I guess!

Both of my kids got transfer scholarships from their U’s (2500/year for up to 3 years), and some smaller scholarships, as well as some from the CC. One was automatic based on ACT scores, and one was based on gpa from the CC. Our state also offers a grant, and then they paid for some and we paid for some. They each have one $5,000 loan. We had estimated them needing 15k in loans, which still seemed reasonable considering everything, but Covid eliminated that need for oldest (forced online courses) and then youngest opting to finish online will save her from further loans.

Gap years, if needed, can impact scholarships. Both of mine took gap years. One took one between CC and  4-year, and that was fine. The other took a gap-year mid 4-year school, though, and lost the transfer scholarship that way.

One last comment on expenses…consider travel if your kids want to go out of state. How much will it cost to get them and their stuff there, how often will they come home, will you want to visit, what you might need to spend if your child has medical or emotional need mid-semester…make sure the travel is affordable. Location can make travel costs add up quickly, and it’s an important consideration when finances are tight. 

I hope you can find solutions that will help your kids meet their goals! I know this is overwhelming…but you figured out homeschooling and can figure this out, too!

We have thought of this and plan to be really careful. One of her possible transfer schools has a reputation for being very generous in the credits they’ll accept. They also list on their website the credits they’ll accept from hundreds of other schools. Our local community college is on the list so that will be helpful. But I guess we need to look at her major specifically. That’s good to know. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

We have thought of this and plan to be really careful. One of her possible transfer schools has a reputation for being very generous in the credits they’ll accept. They also list on their website the credits they’ll accept from hundreds of other schools. Our local community college is on the list so that will be helpful. But I guess we need to look at her major specifically. That’s good to know. 

My dd actually helped me come to this realization - she was originally going for a different major (Graphic Design), and when she switched to Accounting, I told her she'd better make sure she kept her GPA up, because while the state CC transfer option guarantees admission to any state University with a very average/low GPA (2.0+, I think?) the Business school at the flagship is one of the hardest programs to get into and admission to a particular major is not guaranteed through this program.

Well, she showed me.  Apparently if she chose a Business Admin AS degree, there is guaranteed admission to the flagship's Business school with just a 2.5+ GPA, no 3.9+ GPA necessary - which I feel like is true for kids coming into the program straight from high school.  Neither of my nephews even got accepted into the flagship at all coming straight from high school, no less into one of the high-demand majors.  So dd had almost no pressure.  

This subset of the state CC transfer program is available for a range of majors - have to check the website if a particular major is included.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

My dd actually helped me come to this realization - she was originally going for a different major (Graphic Design), and when she switched to Accounting, I told her she'd better make sure she kept her GPA up, because while the state CC transfer option guarantees admission to any state University with a very average/low GPA (2.0+, I think?) the Business school at the flagship is one of the hardest programs to get into and admission to a particular major is not guaranteed through this program.

Well, she showed me.  Apparently if she chose a Business Admin AS degree, there is guaranteed admission to the flagship's Business school with just a 2.5+ GPA, no 3.9+ GPA necessary - which I feel like is true for kids coming into the program straight from high school.  Neither of my nephews even got accepted into the flagship at all coming straight from high school, no less into one of the high-demand majors.  So dd had almost no pressure.  

This subset of the state CC transfer program is available for a range of majors - have to check the website if a particular major is included.

This is an excellent example of the transfer pathway DD has chosen. There are TONS of smaller, less-competitive schools with decent aid that offer direct admissions to well-regarded majors at top-notch public and private schools. The big names graduate tons of kids overall but lose tons too in their high-profile, weed-out majors. Look for alternate admissions pathways to those programs. It's the best of both worlds... BIG NAME degree, low-pressure admissions, high likelihood of success.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2023 at 10:36 AM, Lori D. said:

Agreeing with @MerryAtHope and @Matryoshka.

What you want to look for is an articulation agreement, or a "transfer credit" website, that specifically lists how courses from the CC will transfer to the future university.

We are fortunate -- our CC has a special transfer AA degree that all 3 of our state universities guarantee to accept as fulfilling the first 2 years of coursework for the universities' degrees. BUT, you MUST choose from the list of specific courses -- other courses will be considered "electives" and not count toward the future degree.

DS#1 went this route twice, first knocking out the first 2 years of his BA in general humanities, and then again for his BS in Mechanical Engineering. But every single semester, before signing up for classes, we would together go very carefully over the required classes at the future university and compare with both the transfer AA list of courses AND the transfer credit website to make sure there were no mistakes and that everything would transfer for credit for the degree.

www.transferology.com  is the transfer website our local CC recommends.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, klmama said:

Our State CC->State Uni transfer program has its own website with information specific to our program - I would guess many other states have that too. 

I don't think anyone else in this thread is in my state, so not bothering to link ours, just pointing out that there could well be a state-specific site to look for.  That seems much more general (which is good if you're looking to go from one University to another, from one state to another, to a private Uni, etc.)  The in-state public CC->Uni programs often have benefits (guaranteed admission, articulation agreements, tuition credits) that I'm not sure would be mentioned on a general transfer site.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, klmama said:

The school my dd goes to actually uses this, but we found a couple of gaps that could only be answered directly. It’s only as good and as current as the info put into it…and if it’s not coded by major, there can be more complex questions, too. It’s a good general or baseline tool, though.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

The school my dd goes to actually uses this, but we found a couple of gaps that could only be answered directly. It’s only as good and as current as the info put into it…and if it’s not coded by major, there can be more complex questions, too. It’s a good general or baseline tool, though.

I have found problems too--like the community college classes mapping to university class codes that don't exist anymore.  😃 I think I will verify anything I find in Transferology. 

• Like 5

On 10/2/2023 at 10:40 AM, kokotg said:

Speaking of Harvard, https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/why-harvard/affordability#:~:text=Harvard costs what your family,percent of your annual income. Harvard and maybe 5 of the schools that appear on every top ten ranking are far more affordable than most people imagine.  My kid is not at Harvard (rejected), but his family contribution on total cost of attendance is less than what his cousins (family incomes under $80k per year) at UCs are expected pay.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gstharr said:

Speaking of Harvard, https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/why-harvard/affordability#:~:text=Harvard costs what your family,percent of your annual income. Harvard and maybe 5 of the schools that appear on every top ten ranking are far more affordable than most people imagine.  My kid is not at Harvard (rejected), but his family contribution on total cost of attendance is less than what his cousins (family incomes under $80k per year) at UCs are expected pay.

Yes. I have a kid at Vanderbilt, and his financial aid is startlingly good. As in I was genuinely startled when I first saw it. Vanderbilt (and probably some others, like Harvard) calculate it based not just on direct costs but figuring in books, travel expenses, etc (and they don't include loans in the package. And they don't use home equity in the calculations)...so it came out far better than my kid who was at Macalester (which is also a needs met school). BUT no kid can count on getting in to Harvard or Vanderbilt, whereas there are schools like Macalester, St. Olaf, et. al where a kid who's excelled academically CAN look at stats and figure they have a very good shot at getting in. Macalester's FA wasn't as good as Vanderbilt's, but it was still doable for us and it was somewhere my high stats kid with solid but unremarkable ECs could get in. So absolutely kids should apply to those lottery schools with the very best FA (these also are usually need blind, which can help) and see what happens, but realize there are also schools with solid need-based FA that aren't as much of a crapshoot. And, of course, YMMV--there are a lot of financial situations where there will be a big gulf between what a school that meets need thinks you can pay and what you think you can pay--but there are also a lot of financial situations where it works out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gstharr said:

Yes, several of the Ivy League schools offer very reduced to free tuition for families who fall below a certain income.

However, students still need to meet the very rigorous academic requirements for admission. For example, Harvard has a 3.4% acceptance rate -- so fewer than 4 out of every 100 students who apply are accepted. (This past year, just under 57,000 students applied; just under 2,000 were admitted).

On average, students who are accepted at Harvard have: 
- GPA = 4.18 or higher (this comes from weighted grades from lots of AP tests and or dual enrollment courses)
- SAT score = 1580-1600 (1600 is perfect)  /  or  /  ACT score = 35-36 (36 is perfect)

I'm also not sure we've talked about this on this board.  Title - Study of Elite College Admissions Data Suggests Being Very Rich Is Its Own Qualification.  I think I have it gift linked here.  45% of Harvard's student body is full pay.  And they are doing better than many high end privates on that percentage.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/07/24/upshot/ivy-league-elite-college-admissions.html?unlocked_article_code=XYrE94yIO3FNUidsw_Jte0f3TFTc27zaNmeTuTB2PHt5PI52aJVUUKCZRJxaMgqBFFIj6DwNdhnTMlgLlIXi8YtQCBV_AfJFN4A3oXz4Vh8UbCcpTVPfHodcIbIJbm7jEZrWGFcI4SS17RSSl4aSDyiY0KgptYWRwdx0qQhS39xFtUVlpJxUoPpecfkteqJ8UuywXD1m3kXrfnaoWsX0xMyVFwM8fNjUXL5gaS9PiCJXWd4GGBgVuuaoioA4uuXW_NSYZxXUc4ycj1RFf237C-KRSdgbmKSKUc1gWdqIZkSPBATTda-emwNRI8TJU6PC40VxeofE4bBitBZ24FeeXyoUlncfgz5OVGnrW9OVpCxpQEkcq9EpvVtYPhrR&smid=url-share

It's about the admissions process at high end privates prioritizes the wealthy during the admissions game.  It's great if the finances AND the admissions game works out for you but it is certainly not something to bank on.  And there are still plenty of people who can't afford and may borrow to go to these schools.  Having a sense of what are clearly institutional priorities of these schools can at least lend perspective if it doesn't pan out for a motivated and well prepared student.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, cintinative said:

for FL Bright Futures, you must be a FL resident

For TN Hope Scholarship, you must be a TN resident

Kentucky's KEES program is for "KY students"

GA:  "Georgia's HOPE Scholarship is available to Georgia residents who have demonstrated academic achievement."

I didn't look up the rest. I think they are only for residents.

And --- KY's KEES scholarship program is different for brick and mortar school students vs homeschoolers. I'm pretty sure that our Dual Credit scholarship is also funded via the lottery system. It may also 'pay' for some state grants or programs for adults (over 25) going back to school. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I agree that isn't the best reason to head off to school to spend money and it does sound like she has some success with her current work but thought I would let you know about Moody Bible Institute. 

I don't know what you consider legalistic. Students are not to drink and to attend chapel, things like that but one of the first things they do is pick a church and it could be Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, or whatever denomination. You choose and write a paper saying why you chose it. Of course, you can later change.  Mainly they want you to think through why you choose things.

They have limited degree programs because their focus is on ministry. You are required to participate in a service. My daughter works in an after school program for hers but you can be an English partner for someone learning English, work in a nursing home, for a variety of churchs and you can transfer out if your ministry doesn't fit you,  though they start with a survey to try to fit your skills, talents, and personality. 

You don't pay tuition. It is paid by donors essentially. You do pay room and board and books and fees but they are reasonable. They use a lot of second hand books etc.  My daughter's room was cheaper despite being in downtown Chicago than my son's in Huntsville. 😂 

Anyway, I am pretty fussy about legalistic controlling places and there are Christian schools I would never send my kid to but I was ok with this one after visiting and seeing that they encouraged thinking things through and not everyone has to agree with each other, etc.  It may be too strict for you but thought I'd just let you know it exists. 

https://www.moody.edu/

Edited by frogger
Forgot to add link
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, frogger said:

I agree that isn't the best reason to head off to school to spend money and it does sound like she has some success with her current work but thought I would let you know about Moody Bible Institute. 

I don't know what you consider legalistic. Students are not to drink and to attend chapel, things like that but one of the first things they do is pick a church and it could be Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, or whatever denomination. You choose and write a paper saying why you chose it. Of course, you can later change.  Mainly they want you to think through why you choose things.

They have limited degree programs because their focus is on ministry. You are required to participate in a service. My daughter works in an after school program for hers but you can be an English partner for someone learning English, work in a nursing home, for a variety of churchs and you can transfer out if your ministry doesn't fit you,  though they start with a survey to try to fit your skills, talents, and personality. 

You don't pay tuition. It is paid by donors essentially. You do pay room and board and books and fees but they are reasonable. They use a lot of second hand books etc.  My daughter's room was cheaper despite being in downtown Chicago than my son's in Huntsville. 😂 

Anyway, I am pretty fussy about legalistic controlling places and there are Christian schools I would never send my kid to but I was ok with this one after visiting and seeing that they encouraged thinking things through and not everyone has to agree with each other, etc.  It may be too strict for you but thought I'd just let you know it exists. 

https://www.moody.edu/

I’d be ok with Moody and DD2 is considering that as an option. DD has made her plans and we’ll be driving her out to school in a little over a week. Having a child choose a MORE conservative route than you would like as a parent isn’t really something any of the parenting books prepare you for. LOL But I think I’ve accepted her choice and am focusing on being supportive and keeping communication open. Maybe it won’t be as bad as I’m thinking and will be a good experience for her. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I’d be ok with Moody and DD2 is considering that as an option. DD has made her plans and we’ll be driving her out to school in a little over a week. Having a child choose a MORE conservative route than you would like as a parent isn’t really something any of the parenting books prepare you for. LOL But I think I’ve accepted her choice and am focusing on being supportive and keeping communication open. Maybe it won’t be as bad as I’m thinking and will be a good experience for her. 

I just realized how old this thread was!

It is hard to just stand by and watch as kids make choices you wouldn't but good job on accepting and focusing on your relationship. I know you know that is the right thing to do but doesn't always make it easy so kudos to you. I hope it turns out well and she learns something about herself. 

• Like 1