Menu

I'm surprised how many people give each other baked goods.

There have been so many threads wherein people mention gifting people with baked goods, etc. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to eat things from unfamiliar kitchens, can I? I really can not imagine being, say, a mailman (mailwoman?:D) and having people on my route give me all manner of homemade food. I just...wouldn't want to eat it. Anyone kwim?

There have been so many threads wherein people mention gifting people with baked goods, etc. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to eat things from unfamiliar kitchens, can I? I really can not imagine being, say, a mailman (mailwoman?:D) and having people on my route give me all manner of homemade food. I just...wouldn't want to eat it. Anyone kwim?

Never thought of it. Perhaps if one knew a particular person not to exercise common sense or cleanliness in the kitchen, one would not want to eat anything prepped there. I love to taste other people's concoctions. Honestly, I am much more worried going to some restaurant, regardless of Health Inspections etc. than to eat something cooked / baked by my neighbor.

I'd probably be hestiant to eat food from an unfamiliar kitchen, meaning from someone I don't really know.

In addition, when everyone starts giving baked goods...well, we can't eat it all and stay healthy.:) I hate the thought of having to throw out treats from family and friends but I usually just cannot humanly consume all of the food items we receive.

My mom always makes all her delivery people fresh home-ground whole wheat bread. She also has made her dentists and other people bread. When she wanted to go to this one dentist who had won some award for best dentistry here...she made him bread every (week?) so often until he went from..."we're full" to "you're welcome to come:-)" She makes it look professional, so maybe that helps...She's cleaner than any bakery I've ever worked at or have seen:-)

Carrie:-)

Never thought of it. Perhaps if one knew a particular person not to exercise common sense or cleanliness in the kitchen, one would not want to eat anything prepped there. I love to taste other people's concoctions.

It's not so much that I'm wigged out about how clean their kitchen is or isn't. Goodness, when we lived in the Switzerland, the farmwife on the place where we lived and worked had an absolutely HORRIFIC kitchen. It looked, always, like a tornado hit it. But man oh man, could that woman cook!

I just wouldn't want to have all that stuff. Maybe it's because I myself like to bake, and because I'm somewhat particular about ingredients. I want to eat what I want to eat, and I'm blessed to be able to do that. I'd so much rather people share food with people who are truly in need of it.

Honestly, I am much more worried going to some restaurant, regardless of Health Inspections etc. than to eat something cooked / baked by my neighbor.

Well, yeah, I'm pretty selective about where I eat, so I hear you there.

I've never looked at homemade baked goods the same since a particularly close couple let it slip that the wife had done some baking with "breast milk" and thought it quite healthy :ack2:

I'm sure that some might find that in the realm of acceptable, but just call me picky??:svengo:

Kim

I've never looked at homemade baked goods the same since a particularly close couple let it slip that the wife had done some baking with "breast milk" and thought it quite healthy :ack2:

I'm sure that some might find that in the realm of acceptable, but just call me picky??

Ahem. Interesting.:D

I'm sure that some might find that in the realm of acceptable, but just call me picky??:svengo:

Kim

He had to be pulling your leg...

he just had to...

(He was kidding, right???)

I have no problem eating other's baked goods. I know most of these folks at least casually so it isn't that big of a deal.

I'm more leary about buying tamales from the gal standing in the dollar store parking lot BUT mostly that is because the meat is unidentifiable.

I'd so much rather people share food with people who are truly in need of it.

That just gave me some food for thought and a great idea!

Now, me? I won't eat out of certain kitchens simply because of the cleanliness factor. There. I said it. That said, the people for whom I bake, have no inkling to make ANYTHING and they begin giving their requests months in advance. You know why? Cuz I ROCK!!!:tongue_smilie:

Actually, I guess I'm such a complete sugar addict that I don't ever remember stopping to think, "Gee, I wonder if the kitchen this came from is sanitary?" before shoving the thing in my mouth! :lol:

I don't have a mailperson (P.O. Box here), and I'm not giving or receiving a lot of baked goodies, to my knowledge. So, it's not much of an issue for me. But, I suppose if one feels the way you do, Colleen, one would think twice before (1) making a purchase at a bake sale (2) eating dinner with a new acquaintance or (3) eating out at all. I guess the last one at least has the image of being required to follow certain Health Dept. codes of standard. But, yeesh! The stories I've heard about the things that *really* go on behind those commercial kitchen doors!

It's interesting to note that in MD, certain products are permissible for sale at farmers' markets without the requirement of being prepared in a certified commercial kitchen. Among them, baked goods such as cookies, muffins and sweet breads.

Here's some precise verbiage:

Baked goods are breads, cakes, and pastries that are cooked with dry heat. The only homemade baked goods that may be offered or sold to the public at a farmerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s market are those that are nonpotentially hazardous [my note: doncha love that!?]. Many baked goods are non-potentially hazardous chiefly because of low water activity. Fruit pies made from the high acid fruits listed above for fruit jams, jellies, and butters are acceptable. Potentially hazardous baked goods offered or sold to the public such as most foccacia breads, pumpkin pies, sweet potato pies, cheesecakes, and pastries with potentially hazardous fillings or toppings must be from a licensed food processing plant.
Anyway, I guess you have a point. But, that line of thinking seems to me to apply to so much more than Christmas goodies. Maybe you feel the same no matter what the occasion.

ETA: I see that you've commented that it's not the level of sanitation that concerns you. I guess that makes this a moot post. But, this remark of yours sure led me to think it was more about the cleanliness and not about the need or ingredients.

I can't be the only one who doesn't want to eat things from unfamiliar kitchens, can I?
Edited by Doran

Welp, unfortunately for me, I've never met a cookie I wouldn't eat :glare: So I would probably eat the entire tray of cookies and think of contaminated kitchens later :D

As a side note: I only give cookies to Sunday School teachers, the pastor's family, and my bil and his mom; no strangers on the list ;)

Kim

Holy Cow! I cannot believe this. They must have been trying to gross people out. Nobody in their RIGHT mind...well nuff said.

;)

I'll never understand why people are so grossed out by the idea of cooking/baking with breastmilk. Why is the idea of milk from cows more palatable? If it's safe enough to feed a baby, how is it disgusting for an adult? It's milk.

On-topic? The idea of eating food from other people doesn't generally bother me, unless I've seen their house and am grossed by it. One of my neighbors...ugh, I won't even go there, but suffice it to say that I would gratefully accept any gift of food from her house, and then pitch it immediately after closing the door. But other than that, it doesn't bother me. I don't think you're alone, though, Colleen. I posted a long time ago on another board about gifts for preschool teachers, and many people suggested baked goods. Then many OTHER people chimed in to say that when they were teachers, worked in a daycare, etc., they wouldn't touch those baked-good gifts with a 10-foot pole. So I guess, as in everything, to each her own!

it just depends....I went to a "cookie exchange" at a church here recently (I say "a", not "our" because we moved and are looking for a new one; someone invited us to this)and it didn't bother me to eat the cookies & treats that I brought home.....yet I (prolly) wouldn't buy cookies from a stranger at the flea market.....not like these ladies were people I know though, so.... eh. Guess it was the image, the fact that I sat talking with them for a while...made it seem different. :)

(of course, we have no life threatening allergies to deal with like some may)

There *was* a lady who sold pickles at the flea market and I *did* buy from her...but she had health certificate thingers and all that...and her strange pickles with the big German word on them were deeeeeelicious. :D

I agree here. I just don't want to eat too much junk and my kids just don't need it! I usually freeze the baked goods we receive and take them to other gathering we attend. I can't bear to throw them away. I mean, someone really went through a lot of effort and time to make it for me.

That said, I do bake a lot of bread as gifts at Christmas. But, I only give it to people I know.

I shared the mailperson thread with dh and agreed with me that we should get gift cards and not give something home-baked to someone we don't know.

About the breastmilk - I'm with you Melissa! I mean, if it's my own milk and I use it for my family I guess I don't see the issue. I would not want to eat baked goods with someone elses breastmilk though. FYI - I've never actually used my breastmilk for anything other than babies.

I think it really depends on who it comes from. My mail lady? No, I probably wouldn't eat it. My good friend that I have known for years. Sure, I would eat it. FWIW, I make fudge for people each year. Generally, it only goes to good friends and dh's siblings. This year we have moved. I keep getting emails from my Florida friends saying how much they will miss my fudge. My niece sent us a gingerbread cake. Nobody ate it simply because nobody likes gingerbread. That can be a problem too - giving food gifts that are something most people would enjoy.

I happily give and accept baked goods to/from friends and family members. My hubby makes really good rum cakes and so we give those out. My aunt makes amazing toffee. And dh's Italian aunt makes very, very special Christmas cookies that I will never in my lifetime be able to duplicate. Just a few days ago we were talking about what will happen when she is gone - no one else in the family knows how to make them!

Strangers, on the other hand.... I can be pretty picky. Last year when dd was in preschool she would come home after class parties with home-made favors and I never felt comfortable about it. But then again, I've never felt weird about eating goodies at a church potluck and I don't know everyone at our church....:confused:

I'm with you for the most part. If I know the giver pretty well, then I would think it really lovely that they went to so much time and effort for me. However, if they are someone I only know remotely, then I wouldn't eat it.

Which brings up a somewhat related, but tangential thought and a question:

First the thought: MIL insists on making and distributing homemade candies for Halloween. We've told her many times that no sane parent is going to let their children eat candy made by a stranger and handed out on Halloween night. But she insists that people appreciate the handmade touch.

Second the question: Do you eat at potlucks?

My husband is terrified of dirty food from strangers. Yes, even at people's houses, especially anything uncooked and cut, like salads. My aunt used to "trade" food with her neighbor -- but then she always threw the neighbor's stuff in the trash! I am a bit more liberal than they are. I also have relatives who like to put weird stuff in their cooking, so I do tend to be wary. Especially after some of my acquaintances have given me rotten produce as a gift, or I've seen how other people cook and clean up (like putting salad from people's plates back in the big bowl). Ugh.

My MIL was a mailwoman for 20 years. We LOVED Christmas at her house. Oh my. Food, glorious food. I never had a second thought about it. I'm on the other side as I cannot imagine being hesitant to accept a gift of food.

I draw the line at gifts of food that I know little children cooked -- frosted cookies and the like put together by 4 y/os, say. Ish.

But their mamas can gift me any manner of foodstuffs and I'm sincerely grateful, and not just for the sentiment. Maybe it's my childhood talking, though.

And another thing:

I'm surprised that this thread would get a low star rating. Wait a second. No I'm not. Nevermind. :glare:

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'm surprised at the low star rating too. People are just saying whether or not they're comfortable eating other people's food. No big deal. I thought it was fun.

Hmm, this is an interesting thread as I have not really ever given this much thought.

I only bake for my family (my dad and brother love choc. chip cookies, so I like to make batches for them for birthdays, Christmas, whenever). I do take food to potlucks or bake sales and eat items from said places (though not much from bake sales because I have a hard time spending the money on something that I can make myself) without a second thought.

I will keep this in mind though that others maybe would rather have something non-food related.

I don't care what people do with the gifts I give them, but if I knew that they were going to throw them away I would keep the food items for myself to enjoy and give something else (that they can throw away or not, whatever ;) ).

I do understand eating food from places that aren't clean or people who use questionable cooking methods or food (I have been places where they serve things that are moldy, way past expiration dates or food being served after a story about having mice in the silverware drawer, ick!!!:eek: I just try to eat what seems the cleanest without being obvious about it).

It is fun to see others perspectives on things. Thanks for this thread!

I'm on the other side as I cannot imagine being hesitant to accept a gift of food.

But their mamas can gift me any manner of foodstuffs and I'm sincerely grateful, and not just for the sentiment. Maybe it's my childhood talking, though.

Me, too. We give and receive a number of home-baked or home prepared foods each year. Love 'em. So much more thoughtful and personal than a Starbucks card. While I like Starbucks cards, I imagine the cook adding generous doses of love and good wishes to every recipe prepared.

I know I do. To those who got the gift bag this year with home made Green Tomato Relish (from home grown 'maters) cherry biscotti, mint chocolate cookies, and the 'secret' family recipe fudge...we added lots and lots blessings to each and every bite. No extra calories included. ;)

Geez. Now I'm feeling weird about delivering our cookie plates this year. Makes me wonder how many ended up in the garbage????

As for me, no food item that has been gifted to me has ever gone to waste. And we're still healthy and alive.

Janet

Yeah, me too! I've never given a second thought to eating and enjoying whatever was given to us.

Therefore, I've also assumed that everybody enjoyed home-baked goodies. My assumption has been shattered and now I'm feeling like maybe those loaves of pumpkin bread weren't such a good idea.

Wish I had known this sooner. :glare:

Wait!!! Someone blow the whistle!!!

We didn't have money for gifts this year for anyone outside our immediate kiddos. I spent last weekend in a very clean kitchen baking... I made sugar cookie cutouts, peanut butter blossoms, peanut butter cups and coconut macaroons (from fresh shredded coconut!). I had trays all over the place, then we took baggies and name-tag Christmas stickers and bagged up these gifts for all the children's teachers, the cross walk lady, and close friends. My children loved being able to hand them out...

Well... Oh, it was so funny, my 8th grade dd gave a baggie of cookies to a PE teacher and a teacher standing next to them said, "What? I don't get cookies? I WAAAANT cookies TOOO!" Dd said it was just hilarious, so she gave her next baggie to this other teacher, who was very excited... But, so sad for the school counselor who has done a fabulous job with my homeschooled kiddos... she ran out and didn't have one for him.

We all enjoyed this activity...

I started rethinking this a couple of years ago after having a diabetic neighbor. It's in my nature to bake and share with neighbors but I couldn't share just anything with him. Then I also learned more about allergies and celiac and metabolic syndrome and all kinds of things and decided it was best to give gift certificates.

. . . a postal worker or something, receiving baked goods from perfect strangers (because who knows their postal worker anymore?).

I like homemade things because a) it's not stuff--it only takes up space until you eat it. 'Course, the space it takes up after you eat it may be a problem. :D

And I like them because b) they're personal. Somebody took time and maybe used a special recipe to give me something. That's so much nicer than a gift card or another candle or something.

Food has always been an important way of building community. I'm kind of sad at how few of my neighbors I know, and how few of us reach out to each other in any way over the holidays. I'm grateful for the neighbor that first started giving us cookies for Christmas, and I hope the neighbors that I gave cookies to this year appreciated them. It's one of those last remnants of real neighborliness.

I think I used to be pickier about eating other people's food until a funny thing happened--I started being the invited guest of people for whom offering a good meal was an actual sacrifice. When a refugee family invites you over for dinner, and spends half of their month's grocery budget making a special meal for their daughter's youth pastor, you start to look at food offerings differently.

There's this one Filipino dessert that was my favorite--it was some kind of glutenous rice wrapped in banana leaves. When I told the matriarch of the Filipino Fellowship that I liked it, she was so happy. She said, "You like our Filipino desserts? Really?" Then she said, "I'm glad you like that one. That one takes three days to make."

:eek:

You just look at homemade gifts differ'nt after that. ;)

. . . a postal worker or something, receiving baked goods from perfect strangers (because who knows their postal worker anymore?).

I like homemade things because a) it's not stuff--it only takes up space until you eat it. 'Course, the space it takes up after you eat it may be a problem. :D

And I like them because b) they're personal. Somebody took time and maybe used a special recipe to give me something. That's so much nicer than a gift card or another candle or something.

Food has always been an important way of building community. I'm kind of sad at how few of my neighbors I know, and how few of us reach out to each other in any way over the holidays. I'm grateful for the neighbor that first started giving us cookies for Christmas, and I hope the neighbors that I gave cookies to this year appreciated them. It's one of those last remnants of real neighborliness.

I think I used to be pickier about eating other people's food until a funny thing happened--I started being the invited guest of people for whom offering a good meal was an actual sacrifice. When a refugee family invites you over for dinner, and spends half of their month's grocery budget making a special meal for their daughter's youth pastor, you start to look at food offerings differently.

There's this one Filipino dessert that was my favorite--it was some kind of glutenous rice wrapped in banana leaves. When I told the matriarch of the Filipino Fellowship that I liked it, she was so happy. She said, "You like our Filipino desserts? Really?" Then she said, "I'm glad you like that one. That one takes three days to make."

:eek:

You just look at homemade gifts differ'nt after that. ;)

Well said, Sarah.

We were lucky enough to travel in a poor region of India early in our marriage. (Nobody's American kitchen is dirty after that!) To know that someone wanted to honor you by making something special for you...that's a humbling experience.

I used to assume that everyone loved my baked goods until I

1) had a friend with food allergies and I realized that I might not even know that acquaintances couldn't eat what I made and

2) I didn't like anyone else's cookies and figured they might not like mine, either!

I now do it only for those who I know really appreciate it. Tonight I am cooking for a friend who works long hours and doesn't bake or cook at all. She has 4 kids and a hungry husband and I love to bake for them. They eat fast food constantly and I know they are not health conscious. I LOVE to make treats for them.

I enjoy it much more now that I am more selective about who I do it for.

Marie

I'm a little surprised, too. I mean, doesn't a 350 degree oven negate the fact that I might have scratched my butt a couple times while stirring the batter? :D

coffeescreen.gif

I agree with Pam and Sarah. I would not think twice about eating something that someone else cooked/baked. Until this thread, I never though of it at all. We had an Italian neighbor when we were newlyweds who made us pignoli cookies every year. It was one of the highlights of our Christmas to receive that paper plate with alumimun foil covering warm cookies.