Menu

If you don’t watch/limit mainstream news, what is your substitute? and other thoughts

Teaching3bears

I think it is human nature to want to know what is going on, what is new. In other threads, many of you have mentioned not watching or limiting the amount of news you watch.  There was discussion of old men watching too much Fox News and being filled with hate.
What substitutes have you found/ do you use to find out what is going on in the world, to expose yourself to new ideas, etc.?  Please do not limit this discussion to information about politics/the economy/crime or the most common topics of mainstream news.  It might be a blog of a person who shares a similar interest as you or the news on the web site of your favourite organization.  
I honestly get a ton of news through this forum!  I also watch a lot of YouTube videos with lifestyle and cultural content.  I would like to expand this.  I have sources for local news like twitter.  All of these things are either useful, relax me, teach me something or make me happy.   I admit that I sometimes click on those click bait articles about celebrities etc. and then I feel bad that I wasted my time.  I wish I got less of these popping up on the internet and more content that will nourish my soul. So, please share anything sources you think other people will benefit from.   I am grateful for the internet so I don’t have to get all my information from mainstream media.

I think there's a difference between not watching news stations and not watching the news.  News stations tend to be entertainment. 

I watch PBS's Newshour when I catch it (2-3 times a week), scan NPR in the mornings, and follow Slow News in French, a podcast.

I also watch a local show that highlights various things around the state each week.  It's pretty cool, and has encouraged us to find more hidden gems and ideas of things.  Like we had no idea that a building near us used to produce square headed nails and was one of the first to mass produce them.  The factory is still in existence, but moved to another part of the state several years ago.  But, it developed an interest in how nails are made, and since ds's friend is into blacksmithing, a new appreciation for the craft.

• Like 6

I read the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal.  Sometimes I glance at the CNN website to see what I'm supposed to be enraged/freaking out about.  I never watch the news on TV not because I am against it particularly--I just don't think of it.

I do listen to NPR when I'm driving.

Edited by EKS

I read the Washington Post, NY Times, The Hill, Politico, Economist, and a few hyper-local left- and right-leaning blogs that have their pulse on local/state issues. I just recently subscribed to the Atlantic for their long-form pieces. I enjoy ProPublica’s long-form work as well. Reading is easier/better than viewing.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I don't watch much national news unless there's some big breaking news thing happening, but I read news from a fairly wide variety of sources. For me (and I think this is true for most people) reading is much less triggering than watching, plus articles tend to have more nuance than TV news segments. Sites I like: NYT, WaPo, Politico, ProPublica, The Hill, Reuters, AP,  NPR, The Bulwark, The Conversation. I also have an online subscription to my local newspaper. I like to support local journalism and it still seems to be the best way to keep up with what's happening. I read stories on the paper's site that are never mentioned on local TV news.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I think there’s a distinction to be made between Fox, as discussed in the other thread, and mainstream media. Wasn’t part of Fox’s whole schtick precisely that they were an alternative to mainstream media? Granted, it is watched by  an awfully large group of people, so it’s probably mainstream in that sense.

My preferred sources are BBC, NPR, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. I really like the Economist, but haven’t subscribed lately because it’s pretty expensive. The Atlantic and the New Yorker have a wide range of interesting articles, going well beyond the daily news into all sorts of cultural topics.

ETA that I have a subscription to our local newspaper, too, in its online form. I wasn’t thinking of local news at first, but in some ways it’s the most important. I like supporting local journalism.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 4

I read WaPo and sometimes the NYT. I listen to NPR in the car. None of these have the drama or sensationalism of even ABC, NBC or CBS’s fear-based news. When something I need to know right now happens DH tells me. 

WaPo did contradict their own reporting when trying to disprove the lab-leak Covid 19 theory. But otherwise their reporting is really good and scientifically responsible IMO. 

• Like 1

I don't watch TV much, really, and it's been decades since I've made a habit of TV news.

I listen to the national broadcaster for domestic news, and BBC World Service for international news, but mostly I listen to podcasts or music on Spotify if I want to consume content.

I used to read a lot of news, but more and more I can't see the purpose. Even on my preferred news sites, a lot of content is opinion/filler.

I have a non-posting Twitter account and I get some news there, but I don't trust it. I use Twitter these days mostly to follow people in the hobbies I have.

You Tube for MV's and some language learning (comprehensible input).

Duolingo.

• Like 1

I read a variety of news sources. I generally don’t bother to read the news, but if I do and something interests me, I google it and read from many sources. I like Foxnews, Apple News, WSJ, Bloomberg, BBC. No one should get worked up over one article about something.

One thing to consider is that Twitter (and other Social Media platforms) is largely about instant, very short sound bites and "hot takes", and appeals to sensationalism and emotions to drive consumer "likes." Twitter tends to move rapidly from headline to headline and instant reactions (which in turn cause Twitter consumers to react rather than dig deeper, analyze, and investigate multiple angles of the story). Just something to be aware of.

As a side note... charts like: All Media Bias, AdFontesMedia, may be helpful in figuring out how to balance the views and focus of news providers.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

During times when I need to limit the news, I read the Economist and the Harvard Business review with a 10 second scroll down Reuters. 

When I can handle a bit more, I add in the PBS Newshour or NPR and my state public news. On and off over the years I have subscribed to Foreign Affairs or Scientific American. I read from The Guardian or BBC on the world news toggle most days.

We do have subscriptions to the Washington Post and a few other things, but I don’t always check in. Deutsche Welle and El Universal and SCMP are places I bounce around in from time to time. US news tends to be very “if it bleeds it leads” and I don’t like the sensationalism and US focus. 

ETA: I am pointedly not on Twitter or TikTok or FB. The algorithm skews too quickly.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 3

My main source for news is the NPR Up First Podcast.   I have a few analysis podcasts that I like for deeper dives into more important aspects.  Deeper dives into fewer topics works for me.  NY Times alerts keep me up on headlines, but I no longer subscribe.  

Honestly the best place I have for state news is tik tok.  Following a few key people helped me keep up on my state legislature and governor during the last session.  I also follow a state paper, mostly through Facebook, one that I know has particular bias.   Following it through Facebook let’s me see the highlights without being overwhelmed.

Local news, like city level is 100% through various local  Facebook groups.  The town newspaper is very light on information.  

I added in more fluffy podcasts, on pop culture, music, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I purposely prioritize those now so I’m not drowning in doom and gloom.  

Edited by Heartstrings

I have found an amazing newpaper from a small town in NZ - The Westport News, town of 4000. It has a local, national, and international sections, and is published in old fashioned format (it looks like a scanned newspaper from 20 years ago).  But because of the strong local component, it reminds me about how important it is to be grounded in your own community (And I don't even live there). Their issues are so meaningful. The kids school play, the new sports field, the concern about the drinking water intake location getting dirt in it. I am just so centered reading it. It really remindes me what is important. 

• Like 4

I check ABC Australia website most days. They’re a bit slow but more accurate than others (still with issues). I follow Reuters, Time, BBC etc on Twitter and also BNO. I also scan the trending topics. Typically they will be sports people or celebrities but occasionally the name of a place pops up and cues me to check that because usually something has happened there. I don’t watch TV news much. The only times we have it on typically are for tennis or Lego masters.

I've never *watched* news. I read and listen. For general  national and global news, I subscribe to NYT, WaPo; BBC and NPR, long form ProPublica, and limited monthly articles from Politico, AP, Reuters etc; and listen to NPR while cooking dinner and driving.  I also dip in and out of subscriptions to WSJ, Atlantic, New Yorker and the Economist (but find if I have too many subscriptions I don't read them "enough" and end up getting stressed out). Connecticut has an excellent non-profit  business model (like ProPublica's) online outlet that does a FANTASTIC job covering state legislative issues and statewide news; and my town is very lucky to have a town-level outlet whose reporters literally attend every board and committee meeting.  And John Oliver, who truly does better substantive 20+ minute dives into his chosen issues than "legitimate" news sources.

• Like 2

I read NYT and WP and I read the tweets of several people, mostly journalists and attorneys. The tweets sometimes link to interesting things on other sites that I read. I never watch the news but do scan a site that covers some local news.

I've learned how to temper things for my mental health pretty well now. I read headlines and ask myself, "Is this something that is going to make me feel sad or outraged?" If the answer is yes, then I decide if I'm up for feeling like that and usually the answer is no so I move on and don't read the article. I get a sense of what's going on without feeding that exhausting sense of outrage that I think I was sort of addicted to for awhile. We get the Atlantic and used to get the New Yorker but while I find the stories in both very well researched and written, they are relentlessly depressing for the most part and I'm not up for it anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

Absolutely for Christians only:  The Pour Over, and the (new) Decaf (Kids version of Pour Over).

Referral Link (it's all free) = https://ref.thepourover.org/948a9f2a

Humorous, Politically Neutral Christian news, in an email with hyperlinks, three times a week.

ETA:  Decaf link=https://www.thepourover.org/decaf

Tbat reminded me, The Holy Post is on my must listen list.   I don’t always agree with everything but it’s so refreshing to hear the “other side” said with dignity and compassion and thoughtfulness.   It restores my faith in humanity.  

• Like 1

This discussion reminded me of The Christian Science Monitor.  I seem to remember a lot of sensible, objective articles coming from that source, but it's been a while.

I'm not a subscriber, and I don't plan to be right now (too busy and too cheap for another paid news source).  But, is anyone else here a subscriber?

I'm not a Christian Scientist, but my dad's parents were, and he was raised as one, but left the faith with bad feelings.  My grandma had been born Catholic and was inspired to convert by her husband when she was in her early 20s, and she remained a CS all her life.  She gave me Mary Baker Eddy's book "Science and Health [with a key to the scriptures]," which I read along with the Bible, the Quran, and various Hindu and Buddhist holy works.  I found it really thought-provoking, but definitely not mainstream.  Which is why it kind of intrigues me that the CSM tends to be rather objective IMO.

• Like 1

I really don't "watch" news ever anymore. I just have no tolerance for the overwrought presentation combined with shallow content.

I'm an NPR person, mostly. I have a few podcasts I listen to daily during my morning walk, and I often listen to either podcasts or the radio while in the car. When I'm either working or studying, I stream the NPR classical music station, which has brief news reports at the top of each hour.

I also skim the Google News page a couple of times a day.

I have a subscription to the online Washington Post, and my husband has the New York Times.  

• Like 1