Menu

Just joined Costco - what are your faves?

dsmith

3 hours ago, skimomma said:

I have no idea, lol!  I do know they drive a huge truck and just about fill it up so the trip might be worth it just to avoid dealing with that much package materials.  Not to mention one has to drive 4 hours (one way) to do a lot of "normal people things" like car recall work, orthodontist appointments, furniture shopping, etc., so I am guessing their Costco habit started as a side-trip.  I have noticed and been confused about finding Costco vodka for sale in other stores.  Not in my own state but in a neighboring state.  No idea how that works......

I think re-selliing Costco in other stores is a thing.  I saw Kirkland seaweed packets for sale individually at the Northern Store in Clyde River, Nunavut.  Approximately 3000km from the nearest Costco.

My beef with Costco is excessive packaging.  Multiples of products shrink-wrapped together.  Frozen products in bag containing other bags, containing other bags or product individually placed on plastic trays.  I just need a bag of frozen dumplings.  I don't need each dumpling to be specially protected in layers of plastic packaging.

• Like 3

I buy lots of raw organic veggies there, most in 2 pound bags: power greens in a large bag, broccoli florets, zucchini, brussels sprouts, baby carrots, green beans (you have to plan to use them within 3 days, and some brands are better than others), asparagus... Also organic berries. They are a produce staple for my family of lower carb eaters.

Their raw pecans are good.

Organic ground beef and white meat chicken. 

I also watch their seasonal goods for home and garden items:  in February, they had small citrus trees for $30 (3 gal pot; trees were 3.5 to 4 feet tall.) I didn't know what was available locally and was just starting to think about getting a few fruit trees. I have since found out that it would cost me about $75-90 to get something like what they had from a local big box or nursery store, and those took another 6 weeks for citrus trees to come in! (I hope people kept the trees from Costco protected since it was well before our last frost date.) I'll definitely haunt the stores next year, because these were a deal!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Halftime Hope said:

I also watch their seasonal goods for home and garden items:  in February, they had small citrus trees for $30 (3 gal pot; trees were 3.5 to 4 feet tall.) I didn't know what was available locally and was just starting to think about getting a few fruit trees. It would cost me about $75-90 to get something like what they had from a local big box or nursery store, and it took another 6 weeks for citrus to come in. (I hope people kept them inside til guaranteed no frost threat.) I'll definitely haunt the stores next year at that time because these were a deal!

I love their plants! I especially love the pots with a mix of plants. I couldn't put together a pot like that for what it costs me to buy the Costco one and they look so good on my porch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Right now Costco gas is $3.79 vs $4.09-4.19 everywhere else, and the 4% back for using the Costco Visa brings it down to $3.63.

I try to time my Costco trips for when I need gas, but if I need to go when my tank is nearly full, I'll take DD's car and fill it up for her.

Our local gas prices range from $3.20 - $3.45, but Costco is the lowest.  They beat B.J.s by a penny.

Costco isn’t good for you. You go in with a list and come out with tons more. <embarrassed> …… ……….

I actually love Christmas shopping there. I also buy computers and carpet cleaner and so much there. Just so much, too much, too too much. Step away from the Costco!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SHP said:

Question, does anyone use the Costco app extensively to compare prices with other stores? I have been having a hard time navigating it. 

Do you mean compare with other grocery stores? I don’t compare using the app. I snap photos of what I often buy and compare

e.g.

Kirkland dried mangos vs Trader Joe’s dried mangoes

Verka yogurt at Costco vs Indian supermarkets 

Kam Yen Jan chinese waxed sausage at Costco vs Chinese or Vietnamese supermarkets

Imuraya Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream Bars at Costco vs Japanese supermarkets

They sell a package of two sliced grass fed sirloin roasts that are delicious!! I freeze them then thaw and use in salads. They’re a perfect medium rare and very tender. Would be great as an easy dinner with mashed potatoes and a veg. They also sell organic chicken meatballs that are very flavorful. I repackaged them so don’t remember what flavor but they’re not Italian. Maybe Asian with basil or cilantro? Their organic chicken and veg potstickers are great too! I make a broth with garlic, ginger, soy etc, add shitakes and scallions then bring to a boil and throw some dumplings in there until they’re cooked. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:15 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Well their deli whole chicken is a well known loss leader. It's always $4.99 and larger than rotisserie chicken you get at most other stores. 

Dh and ds like the steak strips (beef jerky but needs refrigeration after opening). We like their sparkling flavored water - the flavors are better than name brand. I don't care for their TP, paper napkins, or tissues but YMMV. I don't think they're soft enough. They have a wide selection of Asian products both in the grocery and frozen sections. If you live in an area with limited Asian grocery choices like I do, it's worth trying their stuff. <- Those aren't necessarily Kirkland brand, just that they have decent choices.

Other than the paper products I mentioned we haven't been disappointed with anything we got there.

I noticed the large selection of the Asian products and was wondering if all stores had that. We do have a large Asian population nearby so I wasn't sure. We will definitely be spending some money in that aisle! 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:32 PM, marbel said:

I am one who can't use Kirkland toilet paper; it makes me itch. That's the only reason I am Team Charmin. The paper towels are OK, I guess - I don't really use them, but my husband likes them.

Of Kirkland products, we use the Columbian coffee beans, Brita-type water filters, butter, both salted and unsalted, the brie (in winter; for some reason brie is winter cheese to us), pesto, and, recently, a Kirkland branded Sartori cheese, which is a brand I thought I had seen elsewhere, maybe Costco bought it. I didn't like the Kirkland feta (which for us is a summer cheese) and was sad when they stopped selling President brand. Oh, we like the bacon and pre-made burger patties. OK, I just thought of another as I'm typing: shampoo and conditioner.  Plain nuts for baking. And the salted pistachios for snacking! 

But we buy plenty of other brands there. The dried figs and apricots they sell are delicious to us. The Cabot brand super-sharp cheddar (all season cheese, LOL). They sell a small boneless ham that is inexpensive and very tasty. In general I think their meat is very good. Oh, their baguettes are the best! Recently I bought some Polish sausage that was a little expensive for me but grass-fed,  uncured beef; we ate some last night and they were so good (if one likes sausage of course). There is a brand of mini pizzas, they come in a box of 12 - 6 of each, pepperoni and plain cheese - that are good for a quick meal or snack. 

Of course there are different things at different Costcos. I remember reading some rave reviews of their dried sour cherries, but I have never seen them in my Costco. 

I'm taking notes for our next trip! And I feel like I'm your cheese twin!😁

• Like 1

You are all making me want to give Costco another try. We were members for 2 years but I didn’t find it that useful. I wonder how much variation there is between stores?  I don’t ever remember live plants, only bouquets. 
Funny story though, the first time I bought milk there both my kids independently raved about it. It was the best they had ever had. We then got an email that it had been recalled for having too much cream.

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, Corraleno said:

The things I most commonly buy are organic produce and bagged salads; big bags of frozen organic fruit & veg; organic peanut butter & pasta sauce; large jars of herbs & spices; cases of organic soy milk, canned beans, canned tomatoes, and boxed vegetable broth; large bags of nuts and pumpkin seeds; olive and avocado oil (the Kirkland olive oil got great reviews and passed the test for being pure olive oil, and they sell the excellent Chosen Foods brand of avocado oil); big jars of marinated artichoke hearts; maple syrup; the Kirkland version of La Croix; and various household products from light bulbs to toothpaste. If Dd goes with me she often gets shampoo, conditioner, and make-up remover wipes.

Believe it or not they also sell decent clothes there at really good prices. Most of DS's socks and underwear are from Costco (brands like Adidas and Puma), and I've bought clothes there for both myself and DD. (I bought a pair of Sketchers joggers on sale for $12 a few months ago, and when I tried them on at home they were the lightest, softest, and most comfortable pants I've ever owned, so I went back and bought several more.)

That's great to know about the olive oil! I'm really picky with my soy milk so I was afraid to try theirs. Some brands seem to have a slight (or not so slight) sharpness to them, like Silk brand. I usually buy Westsoy unsweetened organic, and so far it seems to be the only brand I like. I guess I could donate them if I don't like them. It's been hard to find the Westsoy lately and it's been expensive! I will check out the clothes on our next trip. The first trip was so overwhelming!! 

On 3/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, marbel said:

I am a regular Costco shopper and was there last week, but your post is putting me on the mood to go right now!

I forgot about tires! We buy all our tires there. The free repairs and rotation are so helpful. 

I have to say I don't like the way they package their chicken parts. That is one of the few areas that Sam's club is better to me. 

😀

Tires are on our list for next month, good to know!

21 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That's crazy! Right now there is a 30 cent difference between the gas station near me and Costco. Usually though, it runs closer to a 20 cent difference.

When we were there the gas was $2.99/gal for regular, our local stations were in the $3.18 range. It's not close enough to fill up regularly there, but I will make sure our tank is low when we do go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SHP said:

We just joined so this thread is perfect. 

Question, does anyone use the Costco app extensively to compare prices with other stores? I have been having a hard time navigating it. 

I was not impressed with their app or the website. It took me forever to figure out where to clip coupons! That is one area where BJ's is better. Also, I guess they don't do curbside pickup?

4 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I was not impressed with their app or the website. It took me forever to figure out where to clip coupons! That is one area where BJ's is better. Also, I guess they don't do curbside pickup?

Do you mean for online ordering? Just checking because when there are warehouse coupons, actual coupons are not needed. The discount comes up at the register. There are certain things I always buy when they are in the coupon book, even if we don't need them at the moment. I get annoyed with myself if we run out and it's not on sale that month. The coupon sales definitely cycle. And there is always some fun treat to try. 

BTW speaking of treats: their cheesecakes and chocolate cake are excellent. They used to have this massive 3-layer chocolate cake that was unbelievably delicious. But huge! My daughter wanted it every year for her birthday so we'd get it and after the second day I'd cut it into pieces and freeze them. So fun to have cake at a moment's notice. And it froze beautifully. So does the cheesecake and pumpkin pie.  My son is waiting for the lemon "cupcakes" (really small cakes) that come around I think in summer. Right now their "cupcakes" are carrot (at least at my store) which are OK but in this case I prefer homemade. 

Just now, marbel said:

Do you mean for online ordering? Just checking because when there are warehouse coupons, actual coupons are not needed. The discount comes up at the register. There are certain things I always buy when they are in the coupon book, even if we don't need them at the moment. I get annoyed with myself if we run out and it's not on sale that month. The coupon sales definitely cycle. And there is always some fun treat to try. 

BTW speaking of treats: their cheesecakes and chocolate cake are excellent. They used to have this massive 3-layer chocolate cake that was unbelievably delicious. But huge! My daughter wanted it every year for her birthday so we'd get it and after the second day I'd cut it into pieces and freeze them. So fun to have cake at a moment's notice. And it froze beautifully. So does the cheesecake and pumpkin pie.  My son is waiting for the lemon "cupcakes" (really small cakes) that come around I think in summer. Right now their "cupcakes" are carrot (at least at my store) which are OK but in this case I prefer homemade. 

Ok, that's good to know about the coupons. I was looking at the app and found Warehouse deals, and they listed coupons that had to be swiped to clip them, but I guess I don't need to bother doing that. I'll be looking for the lemon cupcakes! I love all things lemon! 

9 hours ago, SHP said:

We just joined so this thread is perfect. 

It’s not a good way to compare prices. They usually charge a bit more for things online than things in the warehouse (clothing will often be $1-2 more per item, for example), but then they don’t charge any additional S/H if you order something online.  

I will say they are fantastic if you order. Shipping is fast and you can do returns in the warehouse. I had a pair of kayaks delivered to my house, and one came damaged. They organized a pick-up at my house and promptly refunded me. 

• Like 2

You all are reminding me of so many other things we like there. 

Coffee - they were giving samples one day and we liked it so we now buy their coffee. We get whole beans and since we got rid of our grinder we grind it before we leave the store.

Clothes - I got a nice warm jacket for my trip to Greece. We Floridians don't own warm clothes unless we travel often. I don't so I needed a jacket. It kept me warm in the cold mountain air. I also bought a pack of comfortable sports bras there (Hanes I think but don't want to go check right now). 

Live plants - I bought a sweet banana pepper plant. At first I didn't realize it was sweet red and picked some green peppers. I was disappointed at how flavorless they were. When I actually looked up the plant I found out the peppers are red. It lasted two full seasons and gave us a lot of peppers. Not a plant but also in that department we bought this raised bed. We have a very tiny garden area for growing vegetables so this has been perfect. Summer is not good for vegetables because it's too hot so we fill it with annuals just so it doesn't sit empty.  

Their gas is anywhere from 15 to 30 cents cheaper than other gas stations and it's very close to our house. My only complaint is that you can't use the app to pay for gas. When we had a Sams membership I liked using the app to pay. Speaking of the app I wish they had scan and pay in the store like Sams does. It makes it so much easier to checkout.

I get my olive oil from a Greek merchant who sets up at our monthly local market but it's good to know theirs passes the test if he ever closes his stand. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dsmith said:

I noticed the large selection of the Asian products and was wondering if all stores had that. We do have a large Asian population nearby so I wasn't sure. We will definitely be spending some money in that aisle! 

They definitely tailor some stock to the local consumers 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dsmith said:

Tires are on our list for next month, good to know!

When one of our front tires on our Corolla was blown, our nearby Costco didn’t have stock for our Corolla. A staff was kind enough to check the inventory for us and there was one Costco with stock further away. So we drove there and bought the tires there, and since they were fully booked for the week, they told my husband to come before opening time and line up because they would take about 10 walk in customers every day on a first come first serve. My husband waited about three hours for his turn.  
So if you intend to change tires, you might not be able to get them changed on the day you buy them. We bought twice from them the Michelin tires when it is 4 for the price of 3 promo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dsmith said:

Ok, that's good to know about the coupons. I was looking at the app and found Warehouse deals, and they listed coupons that had to be swiped to clip them, but I guess I don't need to bother doing that. I'll be looking for the lemon cupcakes! I love all things lemon! 

Oh now I have never noticed coupons that have to be clipped. But I don't use the app very much. So maybe I am wrong about coupons in the app. So, don't trust me on this!

ETA: I went to the app and looked at Warehouse Savings. I did find two items I had bought this month, that were in the coupon book that is mailed. I bought them and got the discount but did not have coupons clipped. Anyway, in the app I clipped the coupon and they were added to "my list." I wonder if that's just a method of keeping track of the coupon items when shopping? Maybe someone with more Costco app expertise will chime in. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dsmith said:

There are Asian products that are common in every Costco but there are some that aren’t available everywhere. For example, two Costco in my area have more Asian Indian seasonal food stuff because they are in cities with high Asian Indian populations. A Costco that is more than an hour north of us has less Asian seasonal stuff because there are less Asians in the surrounding areas. Chinese New Year seasonal stuff is plenty in my area’s Costco probably because there are more than enough chinese in my area to buy up the stuff. Besides, the Japanese and Korean would also buy Chinese New Year snacks and the kumquat potted plants as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsmith said:

I'm really picky with my soy milk so I was afraid to try theirs. Some brands seem to have a slight (or not so slight) sharpness to them, like Silk brand. I usually buy Westsoy unsweetened organic, and so far it seems to be the only brand I like. I guess I could donate them if I don't like them. 

You might not like the Costco soy milk. I buy cases of vanilla soy milk there because it's cheaper than Whole Foods 365 brand, but I think it has a slightly "beanier" taste than the 365 brand, so I only use it in smoothies (which is mainly what I use soy milk for). I use the 365 brand for drinking or making lattes, iced coffee, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

There are Asian products that are common in every Costco but there are some that aren’t available everywhere. For example, two Costco in my area have more Asian Indian seasonal food stuff because they are in cities with high Asian Indian populations. A Costco that is more than an hour north of us has less Asian seasonal stuff because there are less Asians in the surrounding areas. Chinese New Year seasonal stuff is plenty in my area’s Costco probably because there are more than enough chinese in my area to buy up the stuff. Besides, the Japanese and Korean would also buy Chinese New Year snacks and the kumquat potted plants as well. 

This.

We have three (five actually) that are within a convenient distance.  While many things are the same - there are things that are different.  Both in stock, and "sale prices".    (managers have some discretion in listing clearance sale prices.)   

There are also differences regionally.  e.g. Bay area had Alaska gift cards . . . Not here, even though it's a major Alaska hub.  I have to take Dilettante truffles to 2dd - because her costco doesn't carry them.  (Unlike what Macy's is passing off as Frango's these days (I was so embarrassed when I gave some to a friend.), Dilettante uses the *original* Frango recipe! - but that's something that originated here, and goes back decades.)  You can buy them on amazon - for a price ugarte . . . But Costco carries them in the fall through Christmas.

• Like 1

We routinely buy milk, towels, Tide, cooked chicken, paper, printers, cashews, Dijon mustard, clear care for contacts, TP, basmati rice, sugars, and some produce there if we think we can use up the quantities.  The Ling Ling potstickers are pretty good.  The Uggs knockoffs are fantastic.  The seasonal goods tend to be great—over the years that’s where we have gotten puffy coats, heavy work gloves, a tent, cast iron cookwear, and patio furniture—excellent quality at unbelievable prices.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Costco is on my list of must visit place when I go to South Korea.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Costco home and auto insurance ended up being the best deal last time we checked. (And we always recheck once a year.)

We spend a lot of money and time at Costco.

It’s THE place for date night. LOL

Saturday mornings are best for samples.
Though I was there Tuesday afternoon, and there was a decent amount of samples.  
Especially before holidays or big entertainment events.

• Like 2

I went inside for the first time and I am disappointed. I need frozen meals since I am too sick to make breakfast. They had one option. Not one breakfast option, one option all together. 

They did have a vegan cheese that was cheaper than other places. I bought that, granola, and dog and cat food, dry and canned. $150+ seemed a bit pricey. I price compared a few other things and wasn't impressed. The area for fuel was a free for all with people backing in, not moving up, and general chaos. 

I was overwhelmed by the crowd after over 3 years of almost exclusively getting curbside pick up for groceries. Maybe because it is a holiday weekend, but if that is the norm...

14 minutes ago, SHP said:

I went inside for the first time and I am disappointed. I need frozen meals since I am too sick to make breakfast. They had one option. Not one breakfast option, one option all together. 

They did have a vegan cheese that was cheaper than other places. I bought that, granola, and dog and cat food, dry and canned. $150+ seemed a bit pricey. I price compared a few other things and wasn't impressed. The area for fuel was a free for all with people backing in, not moving up, and general chaos. 

I was overwhelmed by the crowd after over 3 years of almost exclusively getting curbside pick up for groceries. Maybe because it is a holiday weekend, but if that is the norm...

It was probably extra crowded since it's the Friday before Easter so lots of people are grabbing Easter candy, baskets, Easter dinner, etc., plus probably gassing up the car for weekend travel. I usually try to get to Costco shortly after they open on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning, when it's generally pretty quiet.

I don't understand the part about Costco not having frozen meals... my Costco has 3 different Jimmy Dean egg & sausage meals, Eggo waffles & pancakes, egg & sausage burritos, and bacon & cheddar egg bites, plus many many frozen lunch and dinner meals, from ham & cheese rolls and hot pockets to taquitos, lasagna, frozen pizzas, pot pies, asian noodle and rice bowls, etc. And there's tons of heat-&-eat foods in the refrigerated section, too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It was probably extra crowded since it's the Friday before Easter so lots of people are grabbing Easter candy, baskets, Easter dinner, etc., plus probably gassing up the car for weekend travel. I usually try to get to Costco shortly after they open on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning, when it's generally pretty quiet.

I don't understand the part about Costco not having frozen meals... my Costco has 3 different Jimmy Dean egg & sausage meals, Eggo waffles & pancakes, egg & sausage burritos, and bacon & cheddar egg bites, plus many many frozen lunch and dinner meals, from ham & cheese rolls and hot pockets to taquitos, lasagna, frozen pizzas, pot pies, asian noodle and rice bowls, etc. And there's tons of heat-&-eat foods in the refrigerated section, too.

Maybe it is the location? I was blown away by the complete lack of options. I walked up and down all freezer aisles with my husband, I guessvwe both coukd have missed? Probably not. Lots of frozen veggies, lots of meat, lots of dairy products and juice. Not much else. 

2 hours ago, SHP said:

It's a friday before a major holiday.  They'll be closed on Sunday.

Time of day, and day of the week matter for normal traffic.  (I found mid-afternoon, mid-weekday seems to be best)

I've been very unhappy with the cat food selection - lots of dog stuff.
Generally the gas pumps are strict "enter here, exit here" everyone going one way.  But some of the pumps are three deep with multiple lanes.  (it moves so much faster than when they only had two deep - but these are gas stations that can have multiple deliveries a day)

On 4/8/2023 at 1:56 AM, Corraleno said:

You definitely have to avoid holiday weekends, or really, ANY weekends. 

I was also confused about the frozen food comment, but she said ‘vegan’ in the next paragraph so that might be the issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

My absolute favorite they don’t have anymore: Massive  box of mini quiches, two kinds. 

In my area, they are usually only available around Thanksgiving through Christmas. They are a must for us for Christmas Eve dinner.  

Selection varies by store too. For a long time, my preferred location didn't have bacon. The next-closest did. 🤷‍♂️ There are other item differences though that was the most traumatic for the bacon-eating members of my family. 

1 hour ago, marbel said:

In my area, they are usually only available around Thanksgiving through Christmas. They are a must for us for Christmas Eve dinner.  

Selection varies by store too. For a long time, my preferred location didn't have bacon. The next-closest did. 🤷‍♂️ There are other item differences though that was the most traumatic for the bacon-eating members of my family. 

Yeah- there are a lot of food items that are seasonal.

we have a couple brands available here, that are not available outside this area.  2ds jokes he has to live here because it's the only place he can get the eggnog he likes.  (2dd tried the different kinds in DFW, and didn't like any of them.)

And we get *real* frangos (Dilettante truffles uses the original recipe) . . . not the crap Macy's is now selling after making even more changes to the recipe to make them cheaper to make!   I know Macy's is selling something they call Frango's in other states because I bought some as a hostess gift.  I was very embarrassed because they were so wretched.