Menu

Your “least shelved” book of the year

Amethyst

If you do Goodreads, there is a page called Your Year in Books. If you scroll down a bit, it will tell you your most and least shelved books. I’m not really interested in most shelved cuz I’m sure they’re very popular and I’ve heard of them. But what is your least shelved? And if you would share also what your rating of it was. 

I’ll go first….

American Estrangement by Said Sayrafiezadeh. I didn’t rate it. It’s a collection of short stories, so some were good, some great, some meh. Hence no rating. 

Anyone interested in sharing?

• Like 4

I'll play!

My least shelved was Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill, a re-read-aloud my youngest and I enjoyed together.   It's a vintage extended picture book (which I can't recall currently whether is divided into proper chapters or not) by the same author who wrote the I -Can-Read classic The Fire Cat. 

What a great idea for a thread!

• Like 4

Great thread! Mine was Fearless Love by Kat Bellemore, shelved by 17 other people. It is part of the Sweet and Swoony Romance group giveaway. You can find them on Facebook and get links to download almost 100 free romance stories. Most seem to be novella length. It's a mixed bag, with some authors that I know and love and some that I haven't bothered to shelve. This one was decent enough to admit that I read it 😁

Edited by melbotoast
  • Like 2

Mine was “AT Last” by Brenda & Charlie Quesenberey, shelved by one other person. My rating was a 2, I think it was self-published and badly in need of an editor. I didn’t finish it. 

I really hate rating books poorly but sometimes it’s required. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

what does it mean to shelve a book? To indicate you read it?

On GoodReads, “shelving” a book means users put the book on their digital bookshelf. So when they do an annual summary of the books you read this year, they tell you your most and least shelved, to indicate how many or few other users picked that book to read or want to read. My most shelved book, for example, is a Harry Potter book, because some four million users put such a popular book on their shelves; my least shelved book this year is called “The Power of Conflict” with some 230-ish users shelving it. 

You may not necessarily have read or finished a shelved book; it’s tracking that you put it there with the intention of reading it. 

• Thanks 2

They Say, I Say  by Gerald Graff, which I read over the summer after I bought it for DS17 to read this year for school and got curious. It’s  about writing a persuasive essay with examples. I enjoyed the examples.

eta: forgot to say - shelved by 2 other people.
😁

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I picked it up because it was literally the only book at my library with "hysterectomy" in the title when I was awaiting mine. 

I’ve never needed to look, thank goodness, but with all the people I know who have had hysterectomies, I would assume the libraries would have tons of books on this subject!

Edited by Amethyst

Market Mind Games: Profiting from the New Psychology of Risk, Uncertainty, and the Convergence of Trading with Investing
I don't think reading a single page of that book. And I believe that I wanted to read this and a few other shelved books for my dissertation, but after all, I managed to write that part without them. I used other materials and research, and also the help of https://edubirdie.com/dissertation-writing-services, which was beneficial for me. I was stuck with writing one paper part, and I needed urgent help, and there was no time to sit and read tons of info, so I preferred using help. But maybe, later, I'll still find time to read those books; who knows

Edited by MariaLucas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Mine was Darkness on the Delta by G.E. Johnson. Only shelved by 11 other people.

Author was my favorite teacher ever (middle school English) and someone I’ve always thought highly of (so, I of course gave it five stars as well 😁).

Oh, one of my high school English teachers wrote a few books too that my grown kids read as late teens.
He introduced me to Pillars of the Earth for which I’m still grateful. (Disclaimer- American school overseas, limited English language library options. Maybe a teacher wouldn’t loan that book to a student these days)

• Like 1

My least shelved was a book we read for school... "Causes and Consequences of the Great Depression".  Only 4 people shelved it! 

I don't shelve every single school book I read aloud for school, but I do most of the ones that aren't textbooks. After reading in A History of US vol. 9 about the great depression, DS11 specifically asked to learn more about its causes, and this was a book I found at the library that I thought would be at an understandable level. 

Edited by kirstenhill
Typo
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Resurrected by a bot, but it's a different year now so you might all want to talk about it again?

It looks like we have to wait. Goodreads isn't showing the stats for 2023 year in books yet. If it is I can't find it. I didn't realize this was a zombie thread at first and went to GR to find mine for this year. I can only find 2022. Then I noticed I actually responded in this thread. I think we'll be able to get this year's stats in December.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1