Menu

Need hiking boots recommendations - with ankle support

Lady Florida.

I've never owned a pair of hiking boots in my life. I grew up in Florida and when I do what passes for hiking here I only need to wear walking shoes, usually Brooks or New Balance. I'm going to visit a friend in Crete next March - her husband is stationed at Souda Bay. She said I need hiking boots with ankle supports because where she plans to take me regular walking shoes/tennis shoes won't cut it. 

There are two important things. 1. I need to try them on so I don't want to order online, at least not at first. I need to try on and walk around. 2. The places that sell hiking boots are limited here. We have Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops, and Academy Sports & Outdoors. I'm hoping I can find a pair at one of those three places. 

Are there brands one of those stores sell that you love? Any to stay away from? What in particular should I look for in this type of shoe? Please talk to me like I'm 8 or 10 years old. My footwear of choice is Skechers sandals unless I'm doing something that requires the walking shoes mentioned above. Everyday footwear year round means open toe, open back shoes. I'm new to this.

Any chance you have an REI in driving distance?  For members ($20-25 one time fee) they offer 365 day return policy even if you wear the boots hiking and they don’t work.  I buy all my hiking shoes there as I have had to return a pair when they didn’t work.  They are also good at looking at your feet and watching you walk to find the best pairs to try.

in the hiking world they say the best ones are the ones that fit YOU the best.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Any chance you have an REI in driving distance?  For members ($20-25 one time fee) they offer 365 day return policy even if you wear the boots hiking and they don’t work.  I buy all my hiking shoes there as I have had to return a pair when they didn’t work.  They are also good at looking at your feet and watching you walk to find the best pairs to try.

in the hiking world they say the best ones are the ones that fit YOU the best.

and if you lost the receipt they can simply look it up on the computer.

• Like 1

The Bass Pro shop here carries more hiking boots than Dicks Sporting Goods. Hiking boots do need to be broken into and also you have to consider how waterproof you would like it to be. Keens and Timberland have been great for my husband in terms of walking in muddy areas and in slush. However, he doesn’t need ankle support and prefers mid cut boots. I prefer my boots high cut with good grip/traction and I need to try in store as my feet have high arches.

• Like 1

I’ve had good luck with Salomon and Scarpa but this is so personal.  Like other mentioned, REI or your local outdoor store if they will do returns. I returned 4 pairs to my local store after trying them out, then ordered 7 pairs from REI, returning all but one. 

However, I’m assuming Crete is hot so I’m going to throw out a different idea. Hiking boots are usually waterproof and make my feet hot. When my feet get hot I am more prone to blisters. Many hikers these days are switching to trail runners. I prefer trail runners unless it’s really cold, really muddy, or really wet.  

Instead of boots, hiking poles may be a better investment. It will help you be more stable and less likely to twist your ankle. Plus it makes hiking easier on your knees. You can’t carry them on airplanes though, so if you aren’t checking a bag, ignore me.  In my group of 5 hiking friends, 2 prefer boots, 2 prefer trail runners, and I’m the only one who wears both. We have hiked several hundred miles together since 2017 and only one person has ever had an ankle injury, one of the boot girls. She’s also the only one who doesn’t use poles. Anyway, just throwing out the idea. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I’ve had good luck with Salomon and Scarpa but this is so personal.  Like other mentioned, REI or your local outdoor store if they will do returns. I returned 4 pairs to my local store after trying them out, then ordered 7 pairs from REI, returning all but one. 

However, I’m assuming Crete is hot so I’m going to throw out a different idea. Hiking boots are usually waterproof and make my feet hot. When my feet get hot I am more prone to blisters. Many hikers these days are switching to trail runners. I prefer trail runners unless it’s really cold, really muddy, or really wet.  

Instead of boots, hiking poles may be a better investment. It will help you be more stable and less likely to twist your ankle. Plus it makes hiking easier on your knees. You can’t carry them on airplanes though, so if you aren’t checking a bag, ignore me.  In my group of 5 hiking friends, 2 prefer boots, 2 prefer trail runners, and I’m the only one who wears both. We have hiked several hundred miles together since 2017 and only one person has ever had an ankle injury, one of the boot girls. She’s also the only one who doesn’t use poles. Anyway, just throwing out the idea. 

This. Personally, I would never choose hiking boots. Even hiking shoes are far better for me and just fine for the majority of hikes. I’d go online and read some of the pros and cons of hiking boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners. And maybe have your friend give you the names of the some of the actual hikes she is planning so you can do some research in advance before heading to REI or another store.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Also, good socks can be as important as good shoes.  Be sure to try on shoes with socks comparable to the socks you will be wearing with the shoes. 

Yes look at smart wool or darn tuff socks.   I like those bit often wear ininji toe socks for hiking.  They feel weird going on but no blisters when hiking.

• Like 1

Before looking at boots, I think you should consider your budget. Are these boots a one time wear purchase? Will you be likely to hike anywhere requiring boots after hiking in Crete? Boots are bulky and heavy and will take up room in your luggage. Will you want to bring them home with you or leave them there and bring home souvenirs instead?

If the boots will be one time wear and get donated in Crete, getting less expensive boots from a store closer to you should be fine. Just make certain you break them in well in advance and buy the best socks you can afford. If you think the boots will be an investment for your feet (because that truly is what good quality hiking boots are) and you know you'll bring them home and wear on future excursions, invest in more expensive boots.

As others have said, brand recommendations are too personal to be beneficial. I cannot wear Keens as they are too narrow in the toebox for me but another poster here has said they are perfect for her wide feet. I currently have three pair from three different brands - Oboz, Merrell, Vasque. Each were purchased when preparing for my (postponed) AT hike. All are comfortable, good quality, and holding up well. I grab a different pair each time I hike so there is a constant rotation of boots. I have about 10 pair of thick wool hiking socks. You want wool, even in a warmer climate like Crete. I wear my wool socks year round. They come in fun colors and are a great way to personalize your hiking outfit. You want long socks; socks that stick up over the top edge of the boot. This will prevent rubbing and blisters from the leather/faux leather.

Trekking poles are good but will take up space in your luggage. If hiking isn't the primary reason for your visit, I would see if your friend could borrow some poles for you. She may even have a pair already.

Do you have a good quality pair of sunglasses and a good wicking sun hat? I would spend money on those before other accessories.  Tilley hats are great and float on water if the wind blows them off. You are going to want good eyewear and headwear if you are going to be climbing on lots of light colored rocks (sun reflection). These items are lighter and will pack well.

I could go on about other things but since you asked directly about boots, I'll stop

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Any chance you have an REI in driving distance?

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'd check REI.

Thanks everyone for the REI recommendation - I only quoted two for context. I've heard of REI but like Land's End it's just a name I know, not a place I've ever had a need to shop. There's one about an hour away just north of Orlando, which is an area we go to often. I'll plan a trip there soon.

13 hours ago, Frances said:

Just know that unlike hiking shoes, hiking boots need to be broken in. You will also want to buy some hiking socks.

That's why I want to buy them soon, so I can start breaking them in before my trip next March. I'll ask about socks when I buy them.

12 hours ago, Rachel said:

However, I’m assuming Crete is hot so I’m going to throw out a different idea.

Not in March. My friend (also a Floridian) was surprised at how cold it was in spring. The average high when I'll be there is upper 50's to low 60s, lows in the upper 40s. Add in the constant cloud cover and that's freezing to this Florida cold weather wimp.

11 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Crete has some really rocky gorges that are beautiful. She may very well actually need hiking boots. 

Yes, it's quite rocky. She's posted many photos. There are three of us going to visit her at the same time and we recently video chatted with her and her husband. They both said make sure we get hiking boots with ankle support. Do hiking shoes come with ankle support? I'll definitely talk to someone at REI when I go and let them know what type of walking/hiking I'll be doing.

7 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I like hokas these days.

I have a pair of Hoka walking shoes. I didn't know they made hiking boots. Will look into it when I go to REI.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Before looking at boots, I think you should consider your budget. Are these boots a one time wear purchase? Will you be likely to hike anywhere requiring boots after hiking in Crete? Boots are bulky and heavy and will take up room in your luggage. Will you want to bring them home with you or leave them there and bring home souvenirs instead?

If the boots will be one time wear and get donated in Crete, getting less expensive boots from a store closer to you should be fine. Just make certain you break them in well in advance and buy the best socks you can afford.

This is an excellent point. I doubt I'll ever use them again though never say never. 

2 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Do you have a good quality pair of sunglasses and a good wicking sun hat?

I wear glasses all the time. They're transition lenses so they turn in the sun though it doesn't seem like March in Crete has much sun. As far as a sun hat, I live in Florida. I have many. Some fold up nice and small. I'll pack one just in case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Trekking poles are good but will take up space in your luggage. If hiking isn't the primary reason for your visit,

We won't need poles. Hiking isn't the main reason for the visit but some of the places she wants to take us, that she enjoyed and knows we will, require going on some rocky terrain.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Not in March. My friend (also a Floridian) was surprised at how cold it was in spring. The average high when I'll be there is upper 50's to low 60s, lows in the upper 40s. Add in the constant cloud cover and that's freezing to this Florida cold weather wimp.

Yes, it's quite rocky. She's posted many photos. There are three of us going to visit her at the same time and we recently video chatted with her and her husband. They both said make sure we get hiking boots with ankle support. Do hiking shoes come with ankle support? I'll definitely talk to someone at REI when I go and let them know what type of walking/hiking I'll be doing.

I would go to REI since you have one within driving distance. At temperature below 60s, I am already wearing mid calf to knee high winter boots for warmth so I won’t even be thinking of shoes. Besides I get cold in the airport and in the plane so I actually wear boots for flights.

Everyone needs different levels of ankle support. My feet pronate easily so I rarely wear sneakers except high cut ones unless I am just walking in malls. My risk of spraining my ankle is high. My husband can wear mid cut shoes (those that just cover the ankles) and have no issues with rocky terrains. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Thanks everyone for the REI recommendation - I only quoted two for context. I've heard of REI but like Land's End it's just a name I know, not a place I've ever had a need to shop. There's one about an hour away just north of Orlando, which is an area we go to often. I'll plan a trip there soon.

REI started in Seattle - by very serious mountaineers.  It is very serious outside sport supply.  I remember when the only location was in an old warehouse outside of downtown.

Lands End is nothing like REI.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Everyone needs different levels of ankle support. My feet pronate easily so I rarely wear sneakers except high cut ones unless I am just walking in malls. My risk of spraining my ankle is high.

I always had a tendency to suppinate (or underpronate if you prefer that term) and as a result I trip easily. I found out only in the last few years that my brother does too, which has me wondering if there's a genetic aspect. I suspect ankle support will help. 

8 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I always had a tendency to suppinate (or underpronate if you prefer that term) and as a result I trip easily. I found out only in the last few years that my brother does too, which has me wondering if there's a genetic aspect. I suspect ankle support will help. 

Do you have high arches? My foot arches rarely touch the ground. 

11 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

No, I have a fairly normal to slightly low arch.

I would wear or bring a well worn pair of walking shoes. That would help. My shoes with Vibram soles last the longest in terms of wear and tear on the soles. My Merrell shoes and Hoka shoes have Vibram soles. 

• Like 1

You'll likely find something you like at REI.  Get the socks, too, and consider a hiking pole (one or two - I use one on rocky terrain)

The more you know about where you will hiking, and the more you can tell the person who helps you at REI, the better your decision will be. Rocky terrain can be really tough--the ankle support helps stabilize you, yes, but it can also save you from a lot of scrapes and bruises when you go a bit sideways.  The stiffness of the sole makes a difference, too.  Seriously rocky terrain, the stiffer sole supports you better, reducing stress on your ankles and knees. 

I have a pair of Vasques I got on an emergency basis about 10 years ago. We went "hiking" in Colorado, and I had my trail shoes; well, I didn't realize that this was rocky trail hiking and I was miserable all day long.  We drove to the nearest small town, which had two "outdoor stores" and I found this wonderful pair of boots.  When we went to the UK/Scotland a few years ago, this is the only pair of shoes I took.  I wore them every day.  

The ones I got have more flexible soles than I should have had but they were a LOT better than my trail shoes, and the slightly-too-flexible soles made them more useful on my normal not-so-rocky trails.  I was the only +50 person to make it all the way to the end of the trail (this was in Arizona). 

You HAVE to try them on. I have great respect for the products made by Keen - but the arch hits me in exactly the wrong place.  Same with Chacos (sandals). Merrill's work fine for me, most of them, but my ankle bone is low, so some shoes are too high cut on the outside.  I'm a shoe salesman's nightmare. 

This is the nearest thing to the model I have.  It's a titch higher in the rise than mine, maybe -- it's hard to tell online.  I do remember NOT liking the ones that went like 2" higher up my leg; it was annoying. I'm never going to hike in a place where I need that much support.  Also, mine do have Vibram soles, which is mostly important because shoe stores can replace Vibram soles; there's not guarantee on proprietary soles. But I think the initial soles will outlive me, so it's not that big a concern.

I also take a hiking pole with me now.  It's a great stabilizer in rough patches, or while rock-hopping across streams, or getting that little bit of extra power on a big up or down step.  

Last thing: you know where else I have found these boots to be great? Beach walking.  Not all beaches are sandy...a lot of them are quite rocky at least where I live.  I mention it because it's not necessarily something you'd expect, but that might be worth considering when you are going to a country that is new to you.  

I hope you have a wonderful time! And yeah, boots are expensive, but a trip ruined by bad footwear ... that's worse! On our UK trip, we were told to bring hiking boots (like we are discussing here) and one of the ladies on the trip just read "boots." She and her knee-high fashion boots got to sit in a lot of book stores and coffee shops while the rest of us went out to see what we came to see.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Resilient said:

I hope you have a wonderful time! And yeah, boots are expensive, but a trip ruined by bad footwear ... that's worse! On our UK trip, we were told to bring hiking boots (like we are discussing here) and one of the ladies on the trip just read "boots." She and her knee-high fashion boots got to sit in a lot of book stores and coffee shops while the rest of us went out to see what we came to see.  

Ooh, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd probably just wear them in Crete and never again. We're planning to go to the UK sometime in the next 1-2 years. I don't know what our itinerary will be or if/how much hiking will be involved but I might end up saving them at least for a few years to see if I use them again. With dh now retired we plan to do a fair bit of traveling. We're still pretty active and while some of our trips will consist of lying by the pool at a nice hotel there will also be outdoorsy trips in our plans. Some might possibly involve needing those hiking boots.

13 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Ooh, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd probably just wear them in Crete and never again. We're planning to go to the UK sometime in the next 1-2 years. I don't know what our itinerary will be or if/how much hiking will be involved but I might end up saving them at least for a few years to see if I use them again. With dh now retired we plan to do a fair bit of traveling. We're still pretty active and while some of our trips will consist of lying by the pool at a nice hotel there will also be outdoorsy trips in our plans. Some might possibly involve needing those hiking boots.

Yeah…I pull mine out from time to time. These days, irs more for a walk on a rocky beach than a cross-country hike or trail hike.  But I’m awfully glad I have them when I want them.  

Having the right equipment for unforeseen opportunities give more options for adventure!  

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, consider trail runners over hiking boots.  My kiddo did the Appalachian Trail in the lighter weight trail runners (no extensive break in period required!)

I love my Salomon's from REI.  But, as previously noted, this is personal to your foot.  I'll also reiterate support for Darn Tough socks.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 1