Menu

Deleted

Indigo Blue

We are looking at these for me:

Glass Pour Over Coffee Cup and Reusable Filter Set https://www.worldmarket.com/category/kitchen/coffee-espresso-tea/coffee-espresso-makers.do?template=PLA-2&plfsku=597439

OXO Brew Tea Infuser Basket (The strainer holes are small enough for coarse grind coffee) https://www.amazon.com/OXO-BREW-Tea-Infuser-Basket/dp/B07GF4WYGT

• Thanks 1

Ok. That idea is nixed. I’m buying it for him now so he can make coffee here. He’ll get to use it for Christmas, but it won’t be a gift. It won’t be here in time for him to use this week when he’s here. He hasn’t been complaining about having no coffee, so I thought he was happy with Earl Grey, which he DOES love. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

<----runs to check the calendar.

Whew!

Bill

I got excited because I thought I’d finally found something to buy him. I do buy Christmas early, though. I’ve been looking for cozy PJ bottoms because they are harder to find in winter cause all their sizes go quick. Bought some yesterday for them and also for Dh. I washed dh’s and they shrunk to capri length and too tight in his bottom. My sons are way taller than he is. Now I’ve got to return them (not the ones I washed) and find some more. It’s frustrating. AND there were barely any to be found at Kohl’s! Land’s End on Amazon….$55.00 per pair! So….I start this mess early and get it over with!!😂 So, no stress as Christmas approaches….ok……done rambling.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

HELLO CUCINA Pour Over Coffee Maker, 13.5 Oz Coffee Dripper, Quality Glass Carafe with Stainless Steel Permanent Filter - A Kitchen Essential https://a.co/d/5MoxfR7

This is what I got. I think it’s so cute. 

I have a similar one. We bought ours in store for $15 pre-pandemic where supplies were plentiful. We brought my teens “back to school” shopping and DS16 picked a relatively expensive mechanical pencil while DS17 picked a Moleskine plain notebook. My teens have December birthdays and I will be shopping early too in case of supply issues as well as inflation.

• Thanks 1

I’m giggling thinking of a funny story I could tell. I’m debating. I’d have to delete it, for sure. Just makes me laugh.

Maybe after I return the other pj pants before they become capri pajamas, too,  I’ll sit down and tell it…..

quality of stuff is just not what it once was, even just a few years ago

Edited by Indigo Blue

On 7/4/2022 at 10:52 AM, Indigo Blue said:

I got excited because I thought I’d finally found something to buy him. I do buy Christmas early, though. I’ve been looking for cozy PJ bottoms because they are harder to find in winter cause all their sizes go quick. Bought some yesterday for them and also for Dh. I washed dh’s and they shrunk to capri length and too tight in his bottom. My sons are way taller than he is. Now I’ve got to return them (not the ones I washed) and find some more. It’s frustrating. AND there were barely any to be found at Kohl’s! Land’s End on Amazon….$55.00 per pair! So….I start this mess early and get it over with!!😂 So, no stress as Christmas approaches….ok……done rambling.

My take?

Anything that involves coffee is a gift!

And what is more thoughtful than having a beautiful coffeemaker in your home for the specific enjoyment of your son? Marvelous.

I'm sure he will appreciate it. I sure would in his shoes.

An idea that perhaps might help you that is a bit of a tradition in my family  is doing the occasional "family gift" at Christmas. Something for the whole family or for the house that might one family member particularly happy (and they are the ones chosen to open it in such cases) but something that will live in the home to be shared by the family.

No matter how you framed this present, how can you go wrong?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Ok. That idea is nixed. I’m buying it for him now so he can make coffee here. He’ll get to use it for Christmas, but it won’t be a gift. It won’t be here in time for him to use this week when he’s here. He hasn’t been complaining about having no coffee, so I thought he was happy with Earl Grey, which he DOES love. 

Maybe if he really loves it when he uses it at your house, you could surprise him with a second one that he can take home with him.  🙂 

• Like 3

In my family it would be totally fine to have a gift (among multiple) that stays at a certain house/not necessarily where the recipient lives, as long as the gift will always be available when they visit and they can use it as they like - as in, no one else would use it, no one would tell them they are using it wrong, etc. 

I think the gift presentation could be done in a light-hearted way that makes it clear it's to stay at your house. BUT only you know your son and how he might react to that. I think it's a nice idea. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does he have one at his house?  can you buy two?   can you tell him you have something you'd love to buy him for use at your house to make him feel welcome when he stays with you - and ask what he would prefer?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My take?

Anything that involves coffee is a gift!

And what is more thoughtful than having a beautiful coffeemaker in your home for the specific enjoyment of your son? Marvelous.

I'm sure he will appreciate it. I sure would in his shoes.

An idea that perhaps might help you that is a bit of a tradition in my family  is going the occasional "family gift" at Christmas. Something for the whole family or for the house that might one family member particularly happy (and they are the ones chosen to open it in such cases) but something that will live in the home to be shared by the family.

No matter how you framed this present, how can you go wrong?

Bill

I was thinking about this when I was out. I will ask him tomorrow when he gets here. He loves pour over coffee! He wouldn’t mind that at all. He has them all at his house. French press, pour over, espresso machine…..

He thinks pour over is tasty and I’m not sure he wouldn’t prefer it over brewed coffee. I don’t mind getting him whichever kind he wants. He also really loves having the tea, too!

4 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Maybe if he really loves it when he uses it at your house, you could surprise him with a second one that he can take home with him.  🙂 

Maybe so…..I’m pretty sure he has a French press…..but I would get him one if he wanted because it’s so small. At Christmas I have to remind him to leave room in his bag so he will have room for extra things.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I think fancy coffee  and maybe some biscotti packaged with it would make it a nice gift.  I wouldn’t say “this is to keep here” but I wouldn’t be surprised if it got left there.  

Yes, he gets coffee for Christmas a lot. I come here to the board to get ideas for different brands to try! The biscotti is a nice idea. 

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Does he have one at his house?  can you buy two?   can you tell him you have something you'd love to buy him for use at your house to make him feel welcome when he stays with you - and ask what he would prefer?

Oh, yes. Will do that. He suggested the pour over…not sure but I’ll ask. 

I think I would count it as a gift if I were your son even though it stayed at your house. My family doesn't have strong gift giving traditions though (not Christmas, not Chinese New Year, not birthdays). Don't worry although they didn't do it for their own children the grandparents make up occasions to give gifts to the grandchildren in addition to the piles they plan for birthdays and Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would definitely count this as a gift to your ds. It certainly adds to his experience when visiting you. I'd be thrilled if my parents did this for me.

For a personal touch, you could ask him what his favourite coffee is, and have that on hand when he comes to visit. 

Isn't anything nice and thoughtful we do for another person a gift? I didn't know that there even was a defining word such as "legitimate" for something we give to others purely for their enjoyment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I would definitely count this as a gift to your ds. It certainly adds to his experience when visiting you. I'd be thrilled if my parents did this for me.

For a personal touch, you could ask him what his favourite coffee is, and have that on hand when he comes to visit. 

Isn't anything nice and thoughtful we do for another person a gift? I didn't know that there even was a defining word such as "legitimate" for something we give to others purely for their enjoyment. 

A poster upthread said (basically) that gifts that come with conditions aren't really gifts. And, in general I agree with that. For example, a monetary gift that must be used for a particular thing the giver wants to give, regardless of whether or not the recipient would like it/want to have it.

Or giving a piece of artwork that saying "you have to put that up in x room of your house" regardless of whether or not the recipient would like the art in that spot, or even at all. (I was given a gift of a print once, that I didn't particularly like, and whenever the person would come over they'd ask why the print wasn't hanging in my living room. It was uncomfortable to say the least.)

To me, this different, because the gift is having the preferred coffee appliance available when visiting. And that is a really nice thing to do, particularly since the parents/hosts don't even drink coffee (I think I saw that in a previous post).

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would count as a gift in this house. 😉  We live "far away" from family who DO come to visit, and we have a cupboard full of "their" things that they leave here just for when they visit. I also have special food items / coffee related "specific" things for when my in-laws come over . . . they feel quite special to be remembered and to have *exactly their preferred things (they are NOT fussy or demanding and would NEVER comment or complain if we didn't have *exactly the right things).

We are lower-expense, light-hearted (read: downright silly), easy-come / easy-go gift givers, though. 

ETA: So, in a coffee situation like you describe, the gift would be given, no strings attached, and if he leaves it here, it's here, and if he takes it, he takes it. 

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we discussed it. He’d like to have a pour over set up. He really prefers paper filters. I said I’d just order a different type and return the other one, but he got online and got the whole setup, including a beautiful gooseneck kettle for precise pouring. I’m happy because the kettle is pretty and I’ll just use it as a tea kettle, too. He is a true coffee aficionado and he’s going to teach me how to grind the beans, use the scale to measure to get the right coffee to water ratio, and do a proper slow pour over the grinds. I promise he’s not crazy, lol. There is solid science behind this, and he’s just the type of person who does things precisely, after lots of thought and research. He taught me that coffee has lots of cholesterol, but paper filters are effective at filtering most of it out. He makes really great coffee and espresso. I just can’t drink it. 

Anyway, I still have no idea what to get that guy for Christmas. I hope he doesn’t end up with high-water pajamas and a gift certificate.😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Well, we discussed it. He’d like to have a pour over set up. He really prefers paper filters. I said I’d just order a different type and return the other one, but he got online and got the whole setup, including a beautiful gooseneck kettle for precise pouring. I’m happy because the kettle is pretty and I’ll just use it as a tea kettle, too. He is a true coffee aficionado and he’s going to teach me how to grind the beans, use the scale to measure to get the right coffee to water ratio, and do a proper slow pour over the grinds. I promise he’s not crazy, lol. There is solid science behind this, and he’s just the type of person who does things precisely, after lots of thought and research. He taught me that coffee has lots of cholesterol, but paper filters are effective at filtering most of it out. He makes really great coffee and espresso. I just can’t drink it. 

Anyway, I still have no idea what to get that guy for Christmas. I hope he doesn’t end up with high-water pajamas and a gift certificate.😳

Since "science," there is no cholesterol in coffee.

There are two natural oils in coffee--cafestol and kahweol--that studies have suggested may raise serum cholesterol. These natural oils are largely removed by filtering coffee through quality paper filters.

But natural coffee oils taste good.

Bill (on team Taste)

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

There are two natural oils in coffee--cafestol and kahweol--that studies have suggested may raise serum cholesterol. These natural oils are largely removed by filtering coffee through quality paper filters.

This is correct. Ds did say coffee has cholesterol, but this is accurate. 

• Like 1

I would buy it for the house so that guests (mostly your son) could use it. It’s more of a nice gesture that a true gift, but he’ll get the same warm fuzzies. My Mamaw always kept my favorite tea at her house even though I lived in another state. That made me feel cherished. 

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 5:11 AM, Indigo Blue said:

Please don’t quote!!!!

If I buy my son a pour over coffee maker for when he visits (we don’t drink coffee) and leave it here, does that count as a Christmas gift? I ask because he has everything, is hard to buy for, and doesn’t give me ideas of what to buy. If this isn’t tacky, I will do this because I found an adorable one with a stainless steel filter and tiny little 17 oz carafe for half price. He will get one or two other gifts that he can take home, of course. Is it weird to buy someone a gift if that they won’t be taking home? He actually suggested to buy one so he can have coffee when he visits, but he wasn’t suggesting it as a Christmas gift. He can’t take much back with him anyway because he travels light and he goes by plane. For now, he’s very happy with Earl Grey.

Now that I’ve typed all this out, it seems like a dumb question. But I am still wondering if others would do this. 

If you give it to him and he chooses to leave it at your house yes.  But if he comes a week before Christmas he will have to use something else until Christmas day.