Menu

Help settle this debate regarding trash cans

stephanier.1765

@Melissa in Australia

Do cats in your country have toxoplasmosis? It’s a concern here. I grew up on a farm, and have had several jobs raising rodents. I assumed I would have had immunity but the blood screens during my pregnancies showed I do not. I only have a 1/3 of acre suburban yard but some years we plant a big garden (for our yard). 

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Your husband is crazy. I've never seen trash collectors taking out bags one by one. They dump it. 

also, yes, poop in the house will make the house smell like poop. 

I can assure you some places do take the bags out of the can. If they don’t have an arm to lift the can and dump it.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I am firmly on #TeamStephanie here.

I think her dh is completely wrong. 

She's bagging up the cat litter and it's legal to throw it in the garbage, so I can't imagine what the problem would be. At least she's bagging it -- I have seen posts on NextDoor where people dump things like cat litter boxes straight into the can! 🤢And don't get me started on the people who toss poopy diapers straight into the can. 🤮 Ugh! 

If her dh is truly concerned about the smell, maybe he should spray the can with deodorizer every few days. 

Yes it is legal. But would it not be a kindness to make the job as easy as possible for the men who collect the trash.  A bigger trash bag properly tied will be easier for the worker to take out of the  trash can.  

@stephanier.1765  We have a trash can in our garage that Dh keeps a construction bag in.  That is where I toss the bagged and tied  litter when I scoop it and on trash day the bigger construction bag is tied up and put in the can at the curb.  I would not want any kitty litter left in my kitchen trash even for a minute.  

Bags breaking open seem like such  hazard with the bags lifted out method!

Our cans are picked up and dumped.  We will put things in grocery bags like OP,  but try not to do random loose garage.  It is messy and and we are trying to be considerate as well.

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

You guys do realize that people are cowards and don’t like to necessarily admit their real thoughts, right? Especially if it gets back to their boss that they “gave a customer a hard time”? 

You can ask questions, of course. But I’d just use common sense too… would I be more happy or less happy to bend over further to grab things out of a can? 

It’s like the French fry example. You can ask a manager or corporate about their policy but that doesn’t determine the thoughts of the employee cleaning the lobby. 

Exactly. Seems fairly straightforward to me.  

10 hours ago, Ailaena said:

Our neighborhood uses a service who reaches in and pulls out large bags.  Once I saw that they do this, I stopped throwing small items in and wouldn’t even consider putting small bags of poop.  I’ve even tried to be more considerate about how heavy I make the bags, but I probably fail at that.  When I do throw small items in, they often just get left behind.

They use gloves, but still. Idk.  I understand it’s their job, but if I can consciously contribute to making it slightly less bad, I will 

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

UK rubbish lorries that I have seen have hoists, and the wheelie bins are supplied by the County and are suitable for this. Having employees reach in to grab bags sounds dangerous- anything could be badly-wrapped inside.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubbish+lorry&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ALiCzsZZ0SsR7zJkdxCZjn1J0wFa_TUpiA:1655758082660&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz8ebC87z4AhWSS0EAHVIAByEQ_AUoBHoECAIQBA&biw=412&bih=776&dpr=2.63#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3adbc596,vid:IUA_gB5SuPc,st:0

And yet that is how it is done in many places including OPs town.  So it makes sense to do what we can to make it easier on said emplo6es.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes it is legal. But would it not be a kindness to make the job as easy as possible for the men who collect the trash.  A bigger trash bag properly tied will be easier for the worker to take out of the  trash can.  

@stephanier.1765  We have a trash can in our garage that Dh keeps a construction bag in.  That is where I toss the bagged and tied  litter when I scoop it and on trash day the bigger construction bag is tied up and put in the can at the curb.  I would not want any kitty litter left in my kitchen trash even for a minute.  

Actually, her dh said they *could* take the larger bags out instead of dumping the whole can, not that he actually knows what they do.

He has apparently appointed himself the Trash Guru and he knows all the trash things. 😉 

We never put the small bags in our trash cans because there was always the concern that bears or raccoons would dump them all over the street looking for food. We put our kitchen trash bags inside larger bags and tie them up really tightly to keep odors inside, so animals won’t be attracted to them.

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

Unless you're very good at using a hot composting system, animal waste should NOT go in your compost. You run the risk of contaminating your soil with pathogens and parasites.

There are compost systems especially for cat and dog wastes. They are not the compost used for putting on veggies, but rather breaking down the waste. There are some Inground systems 

The reality is that every single person has to take personal responsibility for the plastics they are using and try and limit use. It has to be from a household level. Every single bit of plastic made and chucked out is terrable. Getting plastic to put poo into to put into landfill is absolutly awful for the enviroment.  Double use of plastic to line bins to put more plastic into us doubling the plastic waste. 

If there cannot be a better way to handle pet waste than maybe people on a  large scale need to think about the environmental impact of keeping pets 

• Like 2

I haven’t seen garbage collection without a robotic truck in about 20 years. If we still had that I would probably have an extra strong garbage can size liner and tie it up at the end of the week so no one had to lift the bags, or see what was inside. And there was no risk of the stupid thin nasty bags splitting and making a mess. I’d feel gross about someone having to pick up my cat poo bag by hand.

I think if the trash men get mad, I’m likely never going to know it.

However. We scoop the kitty litter every day also and resolve the issue of a half dozen little bags possibly leaking or spilling into the trash bin and then having a nasty concrete cat poo mess in the trash bin to deal with. 

All the little cat poo bags are put into the large kitchen trash can, then the larger kitchen trash can is taken to the  curb bin. 

No smell in house. No loose little bags in the curb bin. And then we bleach down the trash can before adding a new bag.

Melissa, some people do not have the facilities to do any composting regardless. However you look at it, it's more eco-friendly to live in an apartment where you have municipal composting that does not accept pet waste than to live in a suburban house where you can do whatever the heck you like with your cat's poop.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There are compost systems especially for cat and dog wastes. They are not the compost used for putting on veggies, but rather breaking down the waste. There are some Inground systems 

The reality is that every single person has to take personal responsibility for the plastics they are using and try and limit use. It has to be from a household level. Every single bit of plastic made and chucked out is terrable. Getting plastic to put poo into to put into landfill is absolutly awful for the enviroment.  Double use of plastic to line bins to put more plastic into us doubling the plastic waste. 

If there cannot be a better way to handle pet waste than maybe people on a  large scale need to think about the environmental impact of keeping pets 

I cringed a little at the idea to use a bigger trash bag (not full) or taking a tall trash bag out daily for this reason. But I’m no better with some of my plastic use. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I’m never “pro-more-plastic-use”, but I will say it is customary to re-use grocery bags for this task. I haven’t personally met anyone who purchases bags for litter scooping. With more areas going plastic-bag-free, I assume they must be there, but I know many doggy poo bags are biodegradable, so perhaps that’s also the latest for cat litter?

Is composting cat litter typical in Australia?  What is litter typically made of there?
I had 2 cats for around 13 and 16 years, and I live on over an acre of very rocky land.  I’m trying to imagine what that quantity of litter would look like on my property, and where I would put it that wasn’t problematic for my well, my neighbors, and my own yard enjoyment, and that also would not attract bugs, rodents, or animals.
My daughter lives in an apartment, so it’s absolutely out of the question for her.

Honestly, my proper garden compost can become an issue for smells and critters if I’m anything less than perfect with it, and that’s kept in a black rotating bin that processes fairly quickly.

When we had big dogs, we looked into an in-ground tank, but that would have involved hiring someone with heavy equipment in order to get it in, and that just wasn’t in the budget.

I’m definitely interested in how that works in a place where it’s the norm.  Not that I ever plan on having cats again, but dogs for sure.

We can’t even house all the domesticated animals that exist here now.  If composting were required for pet ownership, we’d have to kill probably 80% or more of the animals in this country.

When we had rural trash service we were required to put trash into individual tied bags.  They picked up the bags and put them on a flat bed trailer.  They didn’t have a garbage truck.

Everywhere else we have lived they have dumped the whole garbage can.

I think both sides have a point.  Could you have a small trash can where you put pet waste, and then put that in a large bag before trash day?  

21 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

If the trash is gone before they return I guess it’s of no consequence but I just don’t like putting feces of any kind in my kitchen (when kids were younger the diaper genie was by the changing table away from kitchen). It’s maybe just a mental thing. 

I decided to move a small trash can to the garage to use to hold the bags from the litter scooping. I'll just empty that when I take the kitchen trash out to the big can. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Our city has this kind of system that allows us to throw pet waste in our green bin.

There are also biodegradable pet waste bags that a lot of people use, which cuts down on plastics in the landfills. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

https://www.amazon.com/Litter-Genie-Plus-Pails-Black/dp/B00URXMY7W

Scoop litter into this and take out the bag once a week with your trash. No smell, no wasting plastic bags several times a day. Problem solved.

What size would you recommend? Between the $10 gift card Amazon is handing out right now and the 25% off they are offering, it wouldn't be very expensive to get started.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Your husband is crazy. I've never seen trash collectors taking out bags one by one. They dump it. 

also, yes, poop in the house will make the house smell like poop. 

Yes.  We have trucks that have a claw that grab the can and dump into the truck.  Even if you have the old fashioned kind where the people pick up the can and dump, I have never seen they go in there and grab out the bags.  IT would be time consuming and gross.

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

https://www.amazon.com/Litter-Genie-Plus-Pails-Black/dp/B00URXMY7W

Scoop litter into this and take out the bag once a week with your trash. No smell, no wasting plastic bags several times a day. Problem solved.

I didn’t know they existed. I bet they have expensive bags. But maybe can replace with a kitchen bag. When I had a diaper genie the rolls of bags were expensive 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes.  We have trucks that have a claw that grab the can and dump into the truck.  Even if you have the old fashioned kind where the people pick up the can and dump, I have never seen they go in there and grab out the bags.  IT would be time consuming and gross.

Some of us have witnessed it. I saw it in front of my house and I was like oh wow they touch it? 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

What size would you recommend? Between the $10 gift card Amazon is handing out right now and the 25% off they are offering, it wouldn't be very expensive to get started.

We have 2 cats and just have the regular (?) size. I didn’t realize there are other sizes. One bag easily holds a week's worth (we’ve stretched it to almost two weeks when we’ve been on vacation and didn’t want the kitty sitter to have to deal with changing it out, but normally we change the bag every week).

You can use regular plastic grocery bags too, if you have them, instead of buying the inserts. I rarely come across disposable bags anymore but this is a good use for them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I didn’t know they existed. I bet they have expensive bags. But maybe can replace with a kitchen bag. When I had a diaper genie the rolls of bags were expensive 

Yep you can use regular plastic grocery bags if you have them. I don’t come across them often, so I have to buy the bags (so dumb, but kitty waste has to go somewhere, and it’s just one bag a week)

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

In my town we have to use town bags that we buy from the grocery, which pays for the trash service. We only go through one small bag per week. I line the kitchen trash can with the town bag and dump our bathroom trash into it on trash day; there are no loose items or bags, just the one. It’s easy for the trash collectors too (who, yes, deal with them by hand).

Occasionally people don’t bother putting their bag in a bin, but too often the seagulls rip them open. Now that’s messy!  

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes.  It would be.  Which is why it would be a kindness to not put a bunch of wal mart size bags filled with kitty litter.

As far as whether or not an employee of a trash truck without an arm picks up the can and dumps it or reaches in and grabs the bags out by hand—-I am sure it depends on the size of the trash can.  Those huge cans….can you imagine how heavy they are? So it seems obvious to me they would prefer to take out what they can by hand.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 9:03 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Our trash goes into a plant that energy for our large installation in my city.  That is absolutely clean and good use of the trash.   And I hate people deciding that my health is less important (and the health of the workers) than other things.  Many people don't live on properties where they can do composting.  (And we pay to a company to take our compostables).

• 1 month later...

I don't think that trash collectors really care about this bag. They have hundreds of trash bags going through. Why should they care about your one particular bag with poop? If you want to calm down your husband, just use the second bad to cover the first one. I also cannot understand how the trash collectors smell in this particular bag in your cats/dog's poops. If this problem continues, you can change your trash collector company to this one, dumpsterrentalslafayette.com. I'm using their services for different purposes and never had any issues with their workers. Cheers!

Edited by nicolasamples