Menu

Who are the super shoppers here? I need 29x36

Meriwether

black men's dress pants. Ds17 needs them for work. His current pants are 29 x 34 and his ankles are exposed. He wears long black socks, so it doesn't look horrible, but someone said something at work this week. I am willing to buy him pants that fit properly, but I can't find them. He is almost 6'3" and super thin with no butt.

They need to be black slacks and slim fit. He wears a 27" waist on his jeans, so the 29" is already a concession on the waist. He might be able to wear a 30" if they are super slim fit, since he has to wear a belt anyhow with the 29's.

I’m thinking a real tailor may be needed. 

I’ve finally found Kohls boys sizes in stretch options work for my 27-ishx30 kid as size 16, but the 20 only gets you to 34 with a 32 waist, I think!

Dh is basically a 28x32-34, and that’s already a nightmare. I can’t imagine looking for 36, though I may have to eventually if ds doesn’t slow down. 

• Like 1

At that age for dress pants, I’ll spend on going to a tailor and getting three pants tailored if you can afford it. My dad (retired teacher) had his work dress pants tailored for better fit and durability, and it cost about the same as those in department stores. The tailor was running a family business neighborhood shop.

• Like 2

If they just need to be black slacks and not like suit pants then we've gone with Wrangler Casual Pants. They're one of the few brands in pants my son can wear because he's a similar size. I remember searching through a few different sites and brands and they seem to be the only affordable and consistently in stock ones I've found. Good luck!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, perky said:

Lands End. 

Mens blend plain front chino pants is available in 27x36, available in black

I looked at Land's End and couldn't find anything below 30, but it came up when I typed this exact search in. I'm willing to try these even though they don't say slim fit, because it seems the closest. We have had bad luck with anything not specifically slim fit though. He really has no butt.

10 minutes ago, smstjohn said:

If they just need to be black slacks and not like suit pants then we've gone with Wrangler Casual Pants. They're one of the few brands in pants my son can wear because he's a similar size. I remember searching through a few different sites and brands and they seem to be the only affordable and consistently in stock ones I've found. Good luck!

They are supposed to be dress pants. The person commented on the material of his current pants, too. He called them jeans, which they aren't. They aren't as formal as suit pants, but they would definitely fall under the umbrella of what we would call church pants in our house. But, I apparently need to go as formal as I can find.

53 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Oh, another option - high ankle boots. Dh and ds can get away with a lot more that way. (“Soft toe non-slip work boots” if steel toe isn’t needed.)

This would be a good idea, but DS17 also has something going on where he has a lot of pain. We have to choose shoe style primarily on comfort so he can be his feet that long.

44 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

American Tall makes plain black men's pants in 28x36:
 https://americantall.com/collections/pants-1/products/mens-tall-traveler-chino-pants-in-black

I've bought stuff from them for my slim 6'7" son, and everything I've gotten from there has been very slim fit. Not cheap, but you wouldn't need to have them tailored.

I was going to post this company. A friend just found them for her tall, thin high schooler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

American Tall makes plain black men's pants in 28x36:
 https://americantall.com/collections/pants-1/products/mens-tall-traveler-chino-pants-in-black

I've bought stuff from them for my slim 6'7" son, and everything I've gotten from there has been very slim fit. Not cheap, but you wouldn't need to have them tailored.

This looks promising. I don't mind the price - well, I would love to find something cheaper, but I am used to paying more for clothes that fit him well. If I get him two pairs, he will wear them each on average twice a week for over a year. He'll get his money's worth out of them.

53 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

They are supposed to be dress pants.  

If you can find 31x36, men's dress pants can be taken in by 2" to 3". 

At his age, for the workforce, I would go ahead and look for actual dress pants. Either ones in the correct size or ones that can be altered to suit. This is already on someone's radar at work, so it's less likely that casual pants that fit will pass muster. 

And he should get in the habit of keeping an eye open and buying ahead a bit. It's going to be hard for him to find a good fit for many years (possibly a little easier in ten or fifteen years if he gains a bit of weight, lol). It's almost always going to cost more, but it is what it is. Both of my grown children have very small feet, and adult shoe lines often start several sizes above what they can even consider wearing. It's a pain! 

The good thing is that men's dress pants can last a really long time if laundered properly (wash with like items, not mixed, use cold water, dry on low heat). 

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying, but he stocks food in a grocery store and the pants he wears would be fine in my husband's office. I won't go more casual and can't do jeans, but I think the style is fine. The person who gave him a hard time was a coworker who is a higher level than he is but isn't over him. He has been wearing these pants to work for almost 2 years 4 times a week with no comment from any of his bosses.

I will look into getting him dress pants, though, and having them tailored.

20220528_124113.jpg

15 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

I hear what you are saying, but he stocks food in a grocery store and the pants he wears would be fine in my husband's office. I won't go more casual and can't do jeans, but I think the style is fine. The person who gave him a hard time was a coworker who is a higher level than he is but isn't over him. He has been wearing these pants to work for almost 2 years 4 times a week with no comment from any of his bosses.

20220528_124113.jpg

Ds used to stock food at the grocery store and no way would he wear "dress pants" , if by that you mean suit pant material.  Docker type pants were nice, professional but still appropriate for the amount of squatting, stretching and bending over required by the job.  Your photo shows pants that seem a bit worn and faded.  A pair of black pants in the same material but new and better fitting should be fine. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

20220528_124113.jpg

Honestly, I would ignore this coworker especially since none of his bosses have an issue with it.  Those are fine pants for a grocery store especially for someone who stocks. 
They are durable, look nice and dress pants won’t be as durable.  

• Like 2

I knew someone would comment that the pants look faded. Lol I noticed it myself in the picture. But I promise they don't in normal lighting. The flash was still on from the previous picture, and it washed out the color. If I could find the exact same pants two inches longer, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. They fit him well until he grew another 3 inches. As it is, I will be content to find something similar that fits 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meriwether said:

20220528_124113.jpg

Yeah, those aren't dress pants, but dress pants for stocking a grocery store is lunacy. I was guessing more along the lines of working for a caterer or as a server in a good restaurant, white dress shirt with black dress pants kind of thing. 

With that info, I do think the proper length is more important than the specific material, as long as he steers clear of denim (which, stupid, bc black denim is durable and would look more than nice enough, but it's an easy thing for people to pick on). I would even avoid the Wrangler pants someone recommended, because they still have a smaller version of the 'W' on the back pocket, and good luck convincing someone that Wranglers are acceptable if they notice that. 

• Like 2

My son works at a grocery and he wears Old Navy uniform khakis, so they definitely aren't dress pants.   As a stocker he is going to be crouching at moments, maybe even kneeling on the floor--I don't even want to know what dress pants would look like after that.  Just imagine the dirt and hair. Eeeew.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 12:23 PM, Meriwether said:

This would be a good idea, but DS17 also has something going on where he has a lot of pain. We have to choose shoe style primarily on comfort so he can be his feet that long.

With the bolded wording, I don't know if that means you have a diagnosis or not. I just wanted to toss out there that being at the lean end of average body types is often associated with connective tissue disorders (especially if connected with extra height, longer than normal limbs/fingers, or certain other bodily/facial traits), which could also account for things like pain with standing or being on your feet. Most are benign and very manageable, but it's good to rule out the ones that are not, and even the benign ones can often require some extra support (PT, OT, careful chiropractic) to feel your best. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information. 

• Like 1

No diagnosis yet. We are in the process of deciding what to do about genetic testing. If we wait for an appointment with the children's hospital (we've been waiting a very. long. time. probably a side effect from Covid), insurance will probably pay for it. If we do it through the doctor's office, maybe not. Dh needs to call and talk to someone, I guess.

Edited by Meriwether

10 hours ago, Meriwether said:

No diagnosis yet. We are in the process of deciding what to do about genetic testing. If we wait for an appointment with the children's hospital (we've been waiting a very. long. time. probably a side effect from Covid), insurance will probably pay for it. If we do it through the doctor's office, maybe not. Dh needs to call and talk to someone, I guess.

It can be a long process. We were fortunate to get in between the cracks when my son got a genetic diagnosis and not have to wait long.

In addition to the hospital working with insurance to get things covered, some of the genetic testing companies have relatively affordable panels they offer on their own for certain populations--the goal is to help with backlogs of genetic testing and to help people with serious stuff get identified more readily. Invitae and GeneDX are the companies that I know about. I think you can get any doctor (pediatrician, family doctor, etc.) to sign off on a panel that is appropriate. Obviously, getting genetics to interpret and contextualize the results is important, and that can still be a wait, but I think both companies can do that for you to some extent.

If you think a certain diagnosis is likely, sometimes there are patient support organizations that have good referral programs to tertiary centers. Not all children's hospitals have the same initiatives--one will be better at this and another is better at that. Sometimes the patient organizations can help sift through that, especially on their social media pages where families with the same issues make informal referrals.