Menu

third round of free at-home covid tests in US now available

prairiewindmomma

24 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Thank you! We hadn't ordered our second set, but my order confirmation said that if I hadn't already received 2 sets of tests, I could order them now, so I did.

Thanks again!

Thanks for mentioning this. I missed that part in the confirmation, and was able to place another order (we'd only placed 1 order before). 

I'll be happy with whatever they send me 🙂

• Like 2

Thank you!

I just opened the pack I received from round 1 - I tested negative when feeling a little crappy last week, and dd24 just tested positive with a runny nose and mild sore throat tonight, so we only have 2 tests left.  I missed round 2 of free tests, so I'm thankful to get in on this round.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Thank you!

I just opened the pack I received from round 1 - I tested negative when feeling a little crappy last week, and dd24 just tested positive with a runny nose and mild sore throat tonight, so we only have 2 tests left.  I missed round 2 of free tests, so I'm thankful to get in on this round.

Sorry to hear about your dd! When I ordered my third, there was a message after I ordered saying that if it was my first or second order, I could place another. So you might try again if you’ve only done two. 

• Like 3

Wait... I haven't followed this that closely. I think I thought everyone could just get free tests as long as there were some available? Like, I know you have to pay for the ones at the store, but I didn't realize the government wasn't giving out any at all? We can just go pick up free tests whenever we want. They have them at our Covid centers and also at the library. They keep changing exactly how many you can pick up, but we can get home rapid tests and home drop off PCR tests. We've had the PCR's forever. There are drop off boxes all over the place. I can probably walk to half a dozen of them. The rapids we've had since Christmas and at first they were in short supply but as far as I can tell, supply is still holding strong. I haven't picked up any in awhile, but I was thinking next time I passed one of the Covid centers I'd go in and grab a couple more because we're down to our last few boxes.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Wait... I haven't followed this that closely. I think I thought everyone could just get free tests as long as there were some available? Like, I know you have to pay for the ones at the store, but I didn't realize the government wasn't giving out any at all? We can just go pick up free tests whenever we want. They have them at our Covid centers and also at the library. They keep changing exactly how many you can pick up, but we can get home rapid tests and home drop off PCR tests. We've had the PCR's forever. There are drop off boxes all over the place. I can probably walk to half a dozen of them. The rapids we've had since Christmas and at first they were in short supply but as far as I can tell, supply is still holding strong. I haven't picked up any in awhile, but I was thinking next time I passed one of the Covid centers I'd go in and grab a couple more because we're down to our last few boxes.

Here in Kansas City it is not easy to get them. These rounds from the govt. that you sign up for are delivered by the post office, and they are limited to a certain number per household. When I asked at the Walgreens pharmacy drive-thru if I could get a free test that was advertised out front he said they had to write it up like a prescription and it was a lengthy process. There was a line, and I was sick (with covid) so I gave up. To my knowledge there aren't any places to just easily pick up a few.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Elona said:

Here in Kansas City it is not easy to get them. These rounds from the govt. that you sign up for are delivered by the post office, and they are limited to a certain number per household. When I asked at the Walgreens pharmacy drive-thru if I could get a free test that was advertised out front he said they had to write it up like a prescription and it was a lengthy process. There was a line, and I was sick (with covid) so I gave up. To my knowledge there aren't any places to just easily pick up a few.

Ours come through our local government. We have Covid centers (I can walk to two of them, but I also live in a very dense urban area for context). They have free rapid tests, free drop off PCR tests (or they have a place where you can take the PCR test and submit it right there right away), and the vaccines. They're open most days. Sigh. It should be like this everywhere.

• Like 4

I haven’t ever had access to free take home tests locally. Our pharmacies didn’t ever get shipments and the state delivered the tests they ordered for free to homeless shelters and other high need places. 

We have had access to free testing at various sites if we could navigate the appointment scheduling and transportation, but it’s been harder to access than it should be.

Just ordered second set last week, came yesterday. Right AFTER I spent $69 on Binax tests. Sigh. Going to order my third set, thank you. (insurance says they will reimburse for OTC tests but so far process seems to be convoluted and a PIA. Mainly because have to go through prescription insurance, not health insurance, and I don't know how to find their info on reimbursement.)

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

This reads like a fairy tale, lol! 

• Like 2

Just FYI, you might consider opening the packages to make sure everything is included, not the seals on what is inside, but the packages.  We opened one and it had no solution bottles in it.  The other box had 2 for those 2 tests, but the other box had none, so basically 2 unusable tests.  We just needed one, so it was fine, but would have been bad if I thought I had 4 tests for a family, but ended up only having 2. 

• Sad 3

48 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Sigh. I don't know whether to laugh or cry emoji to that. It really should be like this everywhere! There's other things I don't love about the not-a-state's (support DC statehood) Covid management, but they have done many things right.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Here in NY they are at the library, too.  We can take 2 boxes per family per day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freesia said:

Here in NY they are at the library, too.  We can take 2 boxes per family per day.

Okay, I'm glad it's not just here. It's some places. I think they can get them in Maryland that way too now that I think about it. 

Oh, and our Covid centers also give out free N95's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

Thank you!

I hope your dd recovers soon!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Just FYI, you might consider opening the packages to make sure everything is included, not the seals on what is inside, but the packages.  We opened one and it had no solution bottles in it.  The other box had 2 for those 2 tests, but the other box had none, so basically 2 unusable tests.  We just needed one, so it was fine, but would have been bad if I thought I had 4 tests for a family, but ended up only having 2. 

Thanks for posting this — I never would have thought to check the contents of the boxes!

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

This sounds amazing.  There is no such thing here, at least as far as I know.  We have been spending a fortune on rapid Covid tests at the drugstore.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I agree. The first batch expire next month so I am wary ordering if this batch has the same expiry date. (ETA: my husband ordered so we’ll see what’s the expiry date when it comes)

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

This sounds amazing.  There is no such thing here, at least as far as I know.  We have been spending a fortune on rapid Covid tests at the drugstore.

My husband’s employer allows him to claim for rapid tests for family as expenses if insurance isn’t paying.  That way we don’t need to drive to our healthcare center to test.

Edited by Arcadia

44 minutes ago, JennyD said:

https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-at-home-OTC-COVID-19-test-for-free

1. How many tests can I get reimbursed for?

Health plans must cover 8 individual at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests per person enrolled in the plan per month. That means a family of four can get 32 tests per month for free.  

Note that tests may be packaged individually or with multiple tests in one package (for example, two tests packaged in one box). Plans are required to cover 8 tests per covered individual per month, regardless of how they are packaged and distributed. 

There is generally no limit on the number of COVID-19 diagnostic tests, including at-home tests, that must be covered when ordered or administered by a health care provider.

1. My employer requires that I test myself multiple times per week and send them the results as a condition of employment. Can I get these tests reimbursed by insurance?

Plans are not required to provide coverage of testing (including an at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 test) that is for employment purposes.”

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:59 AM, ktgrok said:

Just ordered second set last week, came yesterday. Right AFTER I spent $69 on Binax tests. Sigh. Going to order my third set, thank you. (insurance says they will reimburse for OTC tests but so far process seems to be convoluted and a PIA. Mainly because have to go through prescription insurance, not health insurance, and I don't know how to find their info on reimbursement.)

I just tried submitting a claim a few days ago and it was fairly straightforward (CVS caremark). There is a link on their site specifically for covid test claims. It said 30 days to process and then results come by mail. But! I submitted another receipt today and it shows that they processed my first claim the same day I submitted. It doesn't say what the decision was online but fingers crossed I get a check soon. 

Edited by melbotoast
Clarity

On 5/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, Farrar said:

Ours come through our local government. We have Covid centers (I can walk to two of them, but I also live in a very dense urban area for context). They have free rapid tests, free drop off PCR tests (or they have a place where you can take the PCR test and submit it right there right away), and the vaccines. They're open most days. Sigh. It should be like this everywhere.

wow. 

Here I can schedule a drive up test at CVS or Walgreens, give my insurance info, etc. But otherwise, pay $23 for a two pack of Binax. With a sick kid I didn't want to drag her out to CVS, plus half the time the website is glitchy so I just paid for them. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

We received 16 tests total! I wasn't sure how many they'd send, since we didn't order any for round two. 

That's great!

And thanks for bumping this thread, I was looking for it to post that we got our reimbursement checks from cvs Caremark on Tuesday, so a week plus a few days. It looks like the max amount they allow for two tests is $24 so they shorted me a dollar and change on the Binax test I picked up, but I got back everything I paid for the cheaper tests.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, itsheresomewhere said:

Let’s hope these have a longer expiration date than my last set ( expires June 2022).  

We received two USPS envelopes a few days apart. Each envelope had two boxes expiring in August. 

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We received two USPS envelopes a few days apart. Each envelope had two boxes expiring in August. 

They should have a manufactured date and you can calculate the new extended expiration date based on that.