Menu

Everytime I grow out my pixie..

Hilltopmom

Everytime I grow out my pixie, I wind up deciding to cut it short again!

I think my long hair is lovely- but it’s a hassle to deal with, putting it in a ponytail gives me a headache, and it’s annoying to wear a ball cap, bike helmet with  or my kayaking hat (I try to bike a few times a week in nice weather and we kayak all summer). I have to wash in the AM or it’s greasy and it takes forever to air dry in the morning at work.

But, otoh- I grow it out because getting monthly cuts is annoying to schedule & costs more (I go to a cheap place though). So much easier for getting ready and for being active though!! And it doesn’t blow around in the wind.

Agh- I’m at the “do I cut it again or just deal with it long stage?” It’s just starting to look pretty like a hair style instead of “oh, she’s growing out a pixie” mess.

Dh loves it long, but he gets over it.

* totally frivolous post, but I’m on spring break and the weather is yucky & I’m bored.. kids busy doing their own things, lol.

45898662-0BBC-4FEE-A586-FE3055883F3E.jpeg

60879A60-3AF1-40AE-B376-E85D8E3F2897.jpeg

• Like 7

I sympathize.  As an adult I've always had short hair then Covid and I thought that maybe I should wear it longer, so I did.  And then about two weeks ago I went in for a trim and suddenly decided to have it short, short again and I love it.  It's such a relief to have it short that I'm just going to embrace the monthly cut and deal with the cost.  I feel like myself again  after almost three years 🙂

• Like 3

I’m in the same cycle between a bob and long hair. I did find that those hair ties that are like strips of leggings end the ponytail headaches though. 

We like these: 

Soft Thick Seamless Cotton Hair Ties, Ponytail Scrunchies Head bands No Damage Crease for Women Girls Kids Poncytail Holder 100 Pieces (Brunette Brown Set) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7PTJHF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HE492SGQGBZV81DN861Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are slightly better but much more expensive & difficult to find: Goody Athletique Sweat Stretch Elastics - 8 Count, Black - Suitable for All Hair Types - Ouchless Pain-Free Hair Accessories for Women and Girls - All Day Comfort https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012NDE9LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B0KV74ST8GWZGK7X02CG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Same, except I'm currently SUPER short and thinking of letting it grow, lol. but I doubt I will, cause of all the reasons you said. Add in doing PT or Yoga exercises where I'm laying on my back - ponytail doesn't work since you are laying on it, and having to undo and redo each time I lay down and get up is a PIA. 

I'd go Pixie for summer, and grow out for winter a bit, maybe?

• Thanks 1

My hair has mostly been long, except for the few years that my hair stylist dd lived in the same state, and she cut my hair regularly. But I've mostly had long hair, so I started growing it out before she left, because I guess I'm a long hair kinda gal (and by "long," I mean when it gets past my waist I think about trimming it). 🙂 I wash my hair every morning, no matter how long it is. I don't put it in a pony tail, although I do now use a big alligator clip to hold it back when I'm home. I blow my hair dry, too, when I'm going to church or whatnot. I have thought about going back to short hair, but golly: $$$$$$$.

It seems as if you really do want short hair, 'cuz this keeps coming up. Just bite the bullet and cut it. Or let it grow. You just have to make a decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm the opposite. I find shorter hair styles such a hassle to keep up with that I just let mine grow long so I can toss it into a ponytail, messy bun, or clip of some sort because I find it much easier to deal with. 😁 Except the drying after a wash part - that takes for.ev.er. But, I have dry hair/scalp so I wash only 2x week at most.

You look about 10 years younger with longer hair. But if it causes more stress and takes 10 years off your life dealing with it, keep it short. I'm all about making life as simple as possible. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

At work, all the teachers have long hair and I think “oh, how pretty”… then in my neighborhood are all these older, active women with non nonsense short hair cuts and I think “I want that back!”

I’m leaning towards cutting it again super short for summer and letting the top get longer during the school year. 
Then after a few years- I guarantee I’ll be like “hmmm, I should grow out my hair.. 😂 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I'm the opposite. I find shorter hair styles such a hassle to keep up with that I just let mine grow long so I can toss it into a ponytail, messy bun, or clip of some sort because I find it much easier to deal with.

Just means you didn't go short enough 🙂

• Like 5

Just a second opinion, but I think you look younger in the picture with short hair  😄 

I have the same exact issue -- plus I think my face shape looks better with the longer hair too, but in spite of that, I am sticking with short hair just due to the ease of it.  I don't get mine cut every month though, I just let it grow out a few months -- and hack at it myself if it's bothering me (the bangs mostly).  My hair grows pretty fast but I can usually make it 3-4 months. 

However, in this case where you're pretty much past the painful growing out part -- I would probably stick with it long for a while, just for that reason.  

Aside: interesting to see that some find it more work long and some when it is short -- when mine is long it is always work to make it look nice unless it's in a ponytail or otherwise up (in which case, why bother having it long anyway?) but short is brush and go (and by short, I don't mean a bob -- a bob is the most work of all IMO). 

• Like 1

I feel all of this!

I chopped my bra strap length hair into a pixie as soon as I was vaccinated (literally 2 weeks to the day after my shot lol). I know it doesn’t look as good on me as long hair, but I vastly prefer it short for the reasons already listed. Long hair makes me twitchy— it’s always in my face, I find stray hairs everywhere, I’m constantly pulling it up, taking it down, up down all day long. Drives me nuts. But it does look better—as much as I want a face that can rock a suuuuuper short pixie, I don’t think I do. But long hair is so…basic..on me and I don’t feel like me when I see it. So yeah, it’s a constant conundrum. 

Right now mine has grown out to a very short sorta bob; I recently had it trimmed so it has a nice shape but it’s still kinda an awkward length. I think I’m going to keep it pretty short for awhile (but not a pixie) and see how the summer goes.

@Hilltopmom You have a beautiful face for a pixie—you wear it really well. I think it looks fresh and young on you, not that my opinion means anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I have been down to about 1/4". How much shorter do I need to go? Bald? 😂

Ok, that IS short, lol. But now I'm wondering how it was a hassel to deal with? I mean...when mine is super short I just rub my hand through it and go. Maybe rub product in it if I want more texture, but literally 5 seconds of effort. Or maybe you meant the upkeep of getting it cut?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've decided to grow mine out. I'm not sure if it will work with the wind in Scotland.  I just fancy going witchy grey long-haired before my hair thins with age - it's still good and thick now.

I love your pixie, @Laura Corin! You’ll look beautiful with long witchy hair too, though. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, that IS short, lol. But now I'm wondering how it was a hassel to deal with? I mean...when mine is super short I just rub my hand through it and go. Maybe rub product in it if I want more texture, but literally 5 seconds of effort. Or maybe you meant the upkeep of getting it cut?

Both. I get bedhead, flat spots, or wild cowlicks. It is more work to wet, refluff, style, add product to AND then have to cut every couple weeks to keep a style.

Much easier to finger comb it, then french roll or messy bun it. 30 seconds. Hair done, no product required. Trim every 18-24ish months.

Currently I am neither long, nor short. It takes a little more work than long, but less than short.

• Like 1

You look beautiful either way! 

Up till a few years before Covid, I alternated every few years or so with pixie/long, lots of styles and color in between. I like change, hair is a quick and easy change, and I have always had a stylist on board.

Maybe three years before Covid, my hair  accidentally ended up in a copy cat of Riley Blue on Sensate, and that worked. I kept it for years, and only stopped due to Covid (I’m too scared to bleach/platinum at home). So I guess I finally ended up with my favorite being right in between a pixie and long. 🤣 It was super easy, and looked planned.  Towel dry, scrunch, quick finger style with some Moroccan oil, that was it, maybe one minute total. I miss it, but my stylist disappeared during Covid, and I’m not up for hanging in a salon long enough for the amount of time that required.

Now it’s long again. It’s not long enough for much of a bun, but I sort of bundle it with a scrunchie on top of my head. I have no idea how to do anything else, hahahaha!

My rambling point to all that is that there might be something in between that works for you, too.

9 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Both. I get bedhead, flat spots, or wild cowlicks. It is more work to wet, refluff, style, add product to AND then have to cut every couple weeks to keep a style.

Much easier to finger comb it, then french roll or messy bun it. 30 seconds. Hair done, no product required. Trim every 18-24ish months.

Currently I am neither long, nor short. It takes a little more work than long, but less than short.

Ah. I find my bedhead flat spots spring back up after I'm awake for a bit. Now, if I went to bed with wet hair it may be a bit crazy, but I  literally stick my head under the kitchen faucet when I'm done drinking my coffee to rewet it, and rub it quick with a kitchen towel to dry. 

Just now, ktgrok said:

Ah. I find my bedhead flat spots spring back up after I'm awake for a bit. Now, if I went to bed with wet hair it may be a bit crazy, but I  literally stick my head under the kitchen faucet when I'm done drinking my coffee to rewet it, and rub it quick with a kitchen towel to dry. 

This is what I do for mine short when I’ve been wearing a hat for a few hours in the summer 🙂 

No hat head with long hair, at least 

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

This is what I do for mine short when I’ve been wearing a hat for a few hours in the summer 🙂 

No hat head with long hair, at least 

I actually did get hat head with long hair! Mine has a lot of texture/volume though, so maybe that's why. There would be a visible indent where the hat was vs the rest of my hair. 

• Like 2

Have you tried it short but not a pixie? I have a full face and neck, and could never wear a pixie. When my hair is longish (I have never in my life had it past a couple of inches beyond shoulder length), it is hard to manage--it's slick and gets messy so easily. Short suits my face better, and dh prefers it short as well. Even though I am a very casual person, my hair does look put together. I have a great stylist now, and we seem to have it figured out. I get a cut every seven weeks, and make my next appointment when I get it cut. I just had it cut yesterday, and was finger-measuring it just now. It is layered all over. On top, it is a little over 3 inches long, and the lower back is about 1 ½ inches long. My cowlick in front looks kind of like yours, but with a little more weight on it through the bangs, it drapes down nicely. I normally let my hair air-dry, then spray it lightly in the mornings to help hold it, especially in front. I have a little wave and this cut shows it off well. So yes, it would be nice not to have to have it cut so often, but other than that, it is super easy to take care of. The stylist does make a difference, and it took us a little while to get it just right, because I have lots of cowlicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we moved every 3 years, I hated finding a stylist who could cut straight hair short, so it's been bob-length or longer for probably the last 15 years. I get frustrated that I can't wear a ponytail or bun when I drive because the headrest sits right behind my head. The ponytail actually forces my head down when I'm in the car. That means I either wear my hair down or fix it when I get to work

I also hate the flyaways, the way my hair gets in my face, and sticks to my neck, both of which make me very hot. I've told people that if it were socially acceptable, I would shave my head. I think that would be the easiest way to go. Shave it every morning, maybe moisturize my head, not need to clean out the drain after every shower, be able to keep the windows down in the car, not find my hair in the dishwasher drain (ew!) or on the vacuum roller, not need to find someone to cut my hair. I would probably need to wear a hat outside.

10 hours ago, fraidycat said:

I wash my hair every single morning, whether it's long hair or short hair. If it's short, I blow it dry; if it's long, I don't, unless I'm going to church or something and there won't be time for it to air-dry.

Haircuts here are over $50, so just the cost of keeping it short is something I have to take into consideration.

See, I think long hair is so very very simple. Wash it, put in a little product for frizz-reduction if necessary, brush /comb and let air dry or blow-dry. I only have to get it cut once or twice a year. I do almost everything with it just long and loose. Maybe if I'm working in the garden I'll put it up in a scrunchy. Easy peasy.

And if your DH loves it long...it might be a nice thing to do for him. 🙂

• Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, ktgrok said:

Just means you didn't go short enough 🙂

Mine would have to be less than an inch long to be easier.  And that is definitely not something that would look good with my face shape.    That's not even considering the upkeep.  I HATE going to the beauty parlor and haven't been in years.  I trim my hair/bangs myself.   Youngest dd has a really cute short haircut that she cuts herself (she did it the first time in the middle of the night), but her hair is perfect for it.   Just enough wave for it to do a cute little swoop to the side with nothing more than a brushing.  

I have a ton of curly/wavy, extremely thick hair so it's definitely heavy when long but short would stick out in all directions without product and blow drying, neither of which am I likely to do.  We don't own a blow dryer.

Right now my hair is about 2 inches past my bra strap.  I shower/wash it at night, wrap it in a towel for a little while (with my bangs out because they will dry straight in the air and not move), remove the towel, finger comb and I'm done.   I wear it in a ponytail for work because I teach science classes and need it out of the way.  

My constant back and forth is if I want to let it all grow to one length and wear it in a long ponytail, which is easier but really it will have no sense of style at all and won't look as good down; or cut it into long layers so it looks nicer when down but doesn't pull back as well. 

My son, who has thick hair like mine but his is even curlier (or it could be he brushes it straight less) and it is now about mid-back.  When he was first growing it out it definitely grew OUT for a long time before it started getting held down by the weight.   

On 4/22/2022 at 12:06 PM, fraidycat said:

I'm the opposite. I find shorter hair styles such a hassle to keep up with that I just let mine grow long so I can toss it into a ponytail, messy bun, or clip of some sort because I find it much easier to deal with. 😁 Except the drying after a wash part - that takes for.ev.er. But, I have dry hair/scalp so I wash only 2x week at most.

You look about 10 years younger with longer hair. But if it causes more stress and takes 10 years off your life dealing with it, keep it short. I'm all about making life as simple as possible. 

This is me too.   My line is when I have to toss it over my shoulder to keep it out of danger range on the toilet.  Fortunately, at that length I can cut it myself.   I wash it before I go to bed and put it in a pineapple.   Something I read about in the curly girl book.   All the hair up top.    It is fine when you are laying down.  I wear a low ponytail when working because otherwise if I lean forward while typing it falls forward too.  

I personally found that shoulder length was the worst for being forced to fuss with your hair.   It isn't long enough to look pretty just hanging there unless it naturally falls into a pretty shape.   It isn't short enough to be as care-free as a super short cut which you can't do anything with anyway.   

2 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

This is me too.   My line is when I have to toss it over my shoulder to keep it out of danger range on the toilet.  Fortunately, at that length I can cut it myself.   I wash it before I go to bed and put it in a pineapple.   Something I read about in the curly girl book.   All the hair up top.    It is fine when you are laying down.  I wear a low ponytail when working because otherwise if I lean forward while typing it falls forward too.  

I personally found that shoulder length was the worst for being forced to fuss with your hair.   It isn't long enough to look pretty just hanging there unless it naturally falls into a pretty shape.   It isn't short enough to be as care-free as a super short cut which you can't do anything with anyway.   

I have just enough wave in my hair that shoulder length with layers is easy. Wash, finger comb, leave-in conditioner, scrunch and go.

I have no "body" w/short hair, because I have thick hair - as in lots of it, but it is fine so and has no bounce at the scalp. It's like having permanent "hat head". Then with really long there is not enough wave to make it wavy or nice looking, just fuzzy.  So, with short or long, I have to actually style, using products and heat tools, unless I just pull the long into a clip or messy bun (99.99% of what I do).

At shoulder length with layers, I can basically wash & go, and still pull it back into a short pony tail when I get tired of it on my neck or in my face.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:00 AM, Ellie said:

I wash my hair every single morning, whether it's long hair or short hair. If it's short, I blow it dry; if it's long, I don't, unless I'm going to church or something and there won't be time for it to air-dry.

Haircuts here are over $50, so just the cost of keeping it short is something I have to take into consideration.

I will say, I've gotten pretty decent at cutting it myself over the pandemic. Key was having thinning sheers, to help with texture, and so that if you mess up it is less obvious. I do need someone else to take clippers to the back of my neck, everything else I can do myself with my dog grooming clippers and thinning shears, lol. 

16 hours ago, MercyA said:

See, I think long hair is so very very simple. Wash it, put in a little product for frizz-reduction if necessary, brush /comb and let air dry or blow-dry. I only have to get it cut once or twice a year. I do almost everything with it just long and loose. Maybe if I'm working in the garden I'll put it up in a scrunchy. Easy peasy.

And if your DH loves it long...it might be a nice thing to do for him. 🙂

Mine gets frizzy and weird if I leave it down, and I cannot stand having it in my face every time I look down to pick something up, empty dishwasher, etc etc. And blow drying takes forever and ever. So I just always had it in a ponytail at the nape of my neck, or in a bun at the nape of my neck. Pretty much every day all year long. It just took too much effort/time to make it look nice and be down, and then I'd get annoyed and put it back anyway, lol. 

And the wind..ugh...wind blowing hair in my face..blech. and the heat! SO hot on my neck. 

• Like 2

I think you look good in both pictures. For myself, though, I have decided that - barring unforeseen medical necessity - I intend to keep my hair long until I am ridiculously old for it. I’m so grateful I got to keep my hair through cancer (I didn’t have chemo) that I’m showing my gratitude toward my hair by keeping it long. 😄

My hair does take a hundred years to dry and styling it also takes a while but I usually only wash it 2x a week, 3 at the very most. 

• Like 1