Menu

General Life Skills List for Teens

fairfarmhand

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I have never driven a stick and I have never changed a tire. But also, those dadblum pneumatic drills they use at the tire store to put your new tires on make it impossible to get a tire off without your own pneumatic drill! 

The last few times I tried to change I tire I found this to be the case.  DS had a flat tire a few years ago and was a very strong, fit 20 year old male and couldn't get the bolt off.  A police officer came by to help and he looked like something out of a body builder or superhero movie- looked like at any minute his arms were going to bust out of his shirt and even he could not get the bolts off.  

I won't be trying to change a tire or oil in a car.  But, the thing I do is add air to the tires.  It is a task I really dislike but it is an important task.

9 hours ago, Quill said:

My son always thought my cleanliness/order standards were ridiculously high…until college. Moving in with three other dudes was eye-opening for him. He couldn’t believe the level of squalor some of his roomies were perfectly unfussed  to experience. He even tried to make a cleaning rotation but two of the guys wouldn’t cooperate with it. 

This was me. 😃

My grandmother used to have cleaning protocols. I used to laugh/be annoyed at her. I guess much of it penetrated as subtle brainwashing because I was your DS . I could not live in squalor. 

Those cleaning protocols have come in real handy during the pandemic too. It is a lifelong skill @Quill that you pass on unwittingly. I am hoping to continue that tradition with my kids too. 

• Thanks 1

What to do when you get into a car accident!

Believe it or not, I got into my first fender-bender at 21 and no one had ever told me what to do! I had no idea if I was supposed to hand the other person my license, or if I should call the police, or take pictures. It’s surprisingly not intuitive at all. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

Believe it or not, I got into my first fender-bender at 21 and no one had ever told me what to do! I had no idea if I was supposed to hand the other person my license, or if I should call the police, or take pictures. It’s surprisingly not intuitive at all. 

This is so true.  People are so understandably rattled they can't think straight even if they know what to do.

I had a young girl come in today for an estimate and she had no idea if she had full coverage insurance or not.  She said, 'I'm 19.  I'm sorry.'   LOL poor thing.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GracieJane said:

I’ve literally thought that about *myself*. I’m not really sure what one does or the order it happens and of course, some of it depends on if you’re hurt and to what degree. Not wanting to jinx myself, but I have never had to know this. I’m sure, assuming I were conscious, I would almost definitely call dh first, even before police or ambulance (assuming other people are not in danger). 

Maybe we should actually discuss this right now, so I know…heh

• Like 1

Perhaps it's already been mentioned, or it's an unspoken expectation, but these days I'd say one of the most useful things is:

- learn to search effectively search on youtube or google (or similar) for practical skills, useful information, etc. and learn to discern what search results look the most reliable.

My dh uses youtube to find ideas to fix all kinds of things that go wrong with our car, house, fence, etc. There are so many helpful videos available, plus a lot of poor suggestions. 

In my job as a researcher I use quick google searches a lot. 

The life skill ideas people have mentioned are all interesting, but you never mention where the students are going to find out how to do the tasks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time these threads come up I’m amazed. I don’t have these skills and clearly I can’t pass on what I don’t have. I mean there’s people we can call, yes?

ps. We can turn OFF a toilet? 

pss. Recently a thing happened to my kid which happened to me once too, that is to say the steering wheel of his Subaru locked in, you can’t do anything. When it happened to me, I needed to call DH and since he was out of town, he called a tow service. DS sat in the cold and youtubed it🤣this was first time he had driven alone. The kids will be alright. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Every time these threads come up I’m amazed. I don’t have these skills and clearly I can’t pass on what I don’t have. I mean there’s people we can call, yes?

ps. We can turn OFF a toilet? 

pss. Recently a rhing happened to my kid which happened to me once too, that is to say the steering wheel of his Subaru locked in, you can’t do anything. When it happened to me, I needed to call DH and since he was out of town, he called a tow service. DS sat in the cold and youtubed it🤣this was first time he had driven alone. The kids will be alright. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Quill said:

I’ve literally thought that about *myself*. I’m not really sure what one does or the order it happens and of course, some of it depends on if you’re hurt and to what degree. Not wanting to jinx myself, but I have never had to know this. I’m sure, assuming I were conscious, I would almost definitely call dh first, even before police or ambulance (assuming other people are not in danger). 

Maybe we should actually discuss this right now, so I know…heh

The only accident I got into (so far ?) was with my dH, we were both driving to the ski place and I slid into his car as one does who cannot drive on snow. 
but I made sure to tell DS, “pull side of road, flashers on, call police, don’t have a panic attack 🤣” just because i agree it’s not intuitive 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

The only accident I got into (so far ?) was with my dH, we were both driving to the ski place and I slid into his car as one does who cannot drive on snow. 
but I made sure to tell DS, “pull side of road, flashers on, call police, don’t have a panic attack 🤣” just because i agree it’s not intuitive 

My one wreck was in a parking lot which I highly recommend. Nobody was going fast, so no injuries or severe damage. No need to call a tow truck because the cars were drivable. I went through the whole process in a safe place without drivers whizzing by and my car being destroyed. 

I mean, if you’re gonna have a wreck, have it in a parking lot.😜

• Haha 1

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

My one wreck was in a parking lot which I highly recommend. Nobody was going fast, so no injuries or severe damage. No need to call a tow truck because the cars were drivable. I went through the whole process in a safe place without drivers whizzing by and my car being destroyed. 

I mean, if you’re gonna have a wreck, have it in a parking lot.😜

It was almost to the parking lot. I’m proud of myself for that one 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

Perhaps it's already been mentioned, or it's an unspoken expectation, but these days I'd say one of the most useful things is:

- learn to search effectively search on youtube or google (or similar) for practical skills, useful information, etc. and learn to discern what search results look the most reliable.

My dh uses youtube to find ideas to fix all kinds of things that go wrong with our car, house, fence, etc. There are so many helpful videos available, plus a lot of poor suggestions. 

In my job as a researcher I use quick google searches a lot. 

The life skill ideas people have mentioned are all interesting, but you never mention where the students are going to find out how to do the tasks.  

I’m sure that once the challenge is given these kids will figure out how to make it happen. I’m always opening the glove box to find my cars users manual and do things. I can add all the fluids, check the oil, alll kinds of stuff and it’s in a nice little booklet.

youtube and parents I think will be these kids’ greatest resource!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

I’m sure that once the challenge is given these kids will figure out how to make it happen. I’m always opening the glove box to find my cars users manual and do things. I can add all the fluids, check the oil, alll kinds of stuff and it’s in a nice little booklet.

youtube and parents I think will be these kids’ greatest resource!

I actually meant the ability to search for reliable information was the life skill.

There's a lot of information to be found, it's not all equal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, GracieJane said:

This reminds me of when I was 18 and I rear-ended another car.  After making sure everyone was all right, I knew to give the other person my insurance info, but that's all I did, and I continued on to school.  Later that day or the next day, I got a call from the insurance company.  Apparently you are supposed to call the insurance company when you have an accident, so they hear your side of it before they hear the other side.

Other times, I've taken photos, but so far the insurance company has never wanted my photos.

15 hours ago, Eos said:

How to be a house guest: bring a hostess gift and strip the bed at the end of your stay.

How to rock a car that is stuck in snow, as a driver and a pusher

Ask the hosts before stripping the bed. Ask what to do with sheets and towels then do what the host asks.  Many people do NOT like when guests strip beds themselves. 

(I grew up with people who did not like it - my parents and grandparents .... and MIL is a "it's a must do" sort of guest. It took me YEARS to convince her I'd rather do it at my convenience as I have higher priority laundry when a guest leaves --usually because I've held off on my laundry to keep the machines available to visitors . But I do it at her house because that's what she likes. ) 

Oh there was something that came up today in relation to your second item  - how and when to downshift in an automatic! 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 3

Electricity: How to flip breakers and find out which one goes to which part of the house if not marked. Test an outlet to make sure the power is off (having one of those tester pens is handy). DH will not do anything related to power. I have to do it all myself.  I make DS help me. He’s changed out electrical outlets and lighting fixtures at 14/15.  He also knows what to do when a lightbulb breaks in the socket.

• Like 5

On 1/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, fairfarmhand said:

Isn't it interesting how these can vary depending on how people live and where they live?

There is no bus or subway anywhere close to where we live. But I'm fairly certain that at least half of my students already know how to operate lawn care equipment. My ds can operate a chainsaw, weedeater, both kinds of lawn mowers, and he's also working on learning to drive our tractor.

Definitely. Being able to bake bread or do minor car repairs is on my list, while subway systems and meditation are most definitely not.