Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

The first appointment I could find for DD was 8 days away which was 10 days after her symptoms started.  Really no point to test then.  All the walk in places I found were closed for the holidays.  But I agree without quick access to both testing and results, there isn't much point.

We have heard that about the county that we do everything in.  There are no testing apts open.  People can't find Binax at stores.  But we live 1 hour from there in an area that isn't serious about Covid.  No mask mandate.  Binax is easy to find.  Testing is wide open and can get in the same day so easily in more than one place.  I had parents paying me to get them Binax tests because they can't get them in their city.  Go to a red area and it is so much easier to get tested, find tests, or get a vaccine.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I looked up testing here to see if it was difficult and fortunately I can get a next day appointment at a drive through testing center right down the street. So, even though our numbers here have been crazy it is still easy to get a test. Which is good because I keep expecting to wake up sick since our Chicago trip (we ate indoors several times) but so far we’re all feeling fine. 

• Like 1

I now know 4 cowormers with Covid at the moment. 3 are vaccinated and boostered, 1 is double vaccinated. All have had Covid within the last 12 months.

It sounds like an nasty flu as far as symptoms. One needed to go to the ER for IV fluids. 
I feel like there’s no immunity at all against actually catching the infection, and multiple people out sick and quarantining is wrecking our staffing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

48 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I now know 4 cowormers with Covid at the moment. 3 are vaccinated and boostered, 1 is double vaccinated. All have had Covid within the last 12 months.

It sounds like an nasty flu as far as symptoms. One needed to go to the ER for IV fluids. 

This makes me worry about our college kids. How do they get taken care of if/when they get sick away from home and they can't have friends come help because they will be contagious? I wonder if colleges have a way to transport ill students if needed? It seems overkill for ambulance, but how else would they get to an ER or urgent care?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We have heard that about the county that we do everything in.  There are no testing apts open.  People can't find Binax at stores.  But we live 1 hour from there in an area that isn't serious about Covid.  No mask mandate.  Binax is easy to find.  Testing is wide open and can get in the same day so easily in more than one place.  I had parents paying me to get them Binax tests because they can't get them in their city.  Go to a red area and it is so much easier to get tested, find tests, or get a vaccine.

I did see a news article about one place that was doing walk in testing over the weekend (still 30 minutes away) however the news reported that people were waiting in line 2-4 hours.  While I do believe it's important to test when possible and if the testing would easily avaialble I absolutely would take her, there is no way I'm sitting in a vehicle in below freezing temps with my feverish child for 2-4 hours.  It's not THAT important to know exactly what she has.  We are just staying home as much as possible and when someone has to go out it's only people with no symptoms who are leaving.  

I hadn't thought about going outside the county for better access but as miserable as she is, I don't want to make her sit in the vehicle long enough to do that either.  

She did have confirmed COVID exactly 3 months prior.  This is much different, she has so much sneezing, running nose, and congestion.  Sure it could still be COVID but it could just as likely be a bad cold.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

This makes me worry about our college kids. How do they get taken care of if/when they get sick away from home and they can't have friends come help because they will be contagious? I wonder if colleges have a way to transport ill students if needed? It seems overkill for ambulance, but how else would they get to an ER or urgent care?

If you’re sick enough that you need fluids in an ER and don’t have family, please call an ambulance. It’s not overkill.  If you’re throwing up/having diarrhea for days, can’t keep any fluids down and are lethargic and dizzy, an ambulance is reasonable. Plus we can start an IV and fluids before you even get to the ER.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I did see a news article about one place that was doing walk in testing over the weekend (still 30 minutes away) however the news reported that people were waiting in line 2-4 hours.  While I do believe it's important to test when possible and if the testing would easily avaialble I absolutely would take her, there is no way I'm sitting in a vehicle in below freezing temps with my feverish child for 2-4 hours.  It's not THAT important to know exactly what she has.  We are just staying home as much as possible and when someone has to go out it's only people with no symptoms who are leaving.  

I hadn't thought about going outside the county for better access but as miserable as she is, I don't want to make her sit in the vehicle long enough to do that either.  

She did have confirmed COVID exactly 3 months prior.  This is much different, she has so much sneezing, running nose, and congestion.  Sure it could still be COVID but it could just as likely be a bad cold.

Poor kiddo.  Yeah it sometimes isn't worth it to do that when you feel so awful.  I was going to ask if she had Covid.  Ugh.  Is she vaccinated?  I really hope you can't get it that often.   Have you had her take an at home test? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

At my son's school, the R.A. and the R.D. in the residence hall can call campus health for help. They do have a means (golf carts as well as campus owned cars) to get the students to the health center which is staffed by two R.N.'s and an ALS certified medic. They can do IV's there. I'm his case, the teaching hospital is next door as well, and campus health can send a driver to take the student there as well. They call ambulances when the student needs to be transported on a gurney. Up to that point, the R.D. and a driver with campus security handle it so it can happen pretty quickly. The campus doc is there Monday - Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm. 

I don't know what other schools do. When I was in college, I got a nasty concussion, knocked unconscious briefly, and then unable to stand or walk without assistance. My friends called the R.D. who called the chaplain to help her get me down to campus health, and the nurse promptly said "ER now". The chaplain and R.D. chose to drive me instead of call for the ambulance. It worked similarly at my other sons' alma maters.

My son's university is doing a really good job with covid too and they have campus resources students can call.  They have a hospital on campus.  They have a network of local volunteer parents that will coordinate rides or drop offs.  They live in a big enough city to get easy delivery of almost anything.

I will also say they do a ton of testing (they've been recognized nationally for their protocols especially last spring).  And a HUGE percentage of healthy kids this age have very mild illness.  They are catching many more cases than most colleges.   I just boosted my college student and I'm not super worried.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

If you’re sick enough that you need fluids in an ER and don’t have family, please call an ambulance. It’s not overkill.  If you’re throwing up/having diarrhea for days, can’t keep any fluids down and are lethargic and dizzy, an ambulance is reasonable. Plus we can start an IV and fluids before you even get to the ER.

Thanks for saying this. It makes me feel better to know it’s okay to call for an ambulance in this situation. 

40 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

My son's university is doing a really good job with covid too and they have campus resources students can call.  They have a hospital on campus.  They have a network of local volunteer parents that will coordinate rides or drop offs.  They live in a big enough city to get easy delivery of almost anything.

I will also say they do a ton of testing (they've been recognized nationally for their protocols especially last spring).  And a HUGE percentage of healthy kids this age have very mild illness.  They are catching many more cases than most colleges.   I just boosted my college student and I'm not super worried.

That sounds really good. Mine are boosted as well, but one got boosted early enough (due to risk factors) that I’m concerned it will be waning. I expect they would be fine, it’s more worrying about their anxiety if they get it (or if their roommates do and they’re stuck just having to be exposed in a small room all together) and the logistics in getting them care if they need it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Thanks for saying this. It makes me feel better to know it’s okay to call for an ambulance in this situation. 

That sounds really good. Mine are boosted as well, but one got boosted early enough (due to risk factors) that I’m concerned it will be waning. I expect they would be fine, it’s more worrying about their anxiety if they get it (or if their roommates do and they’re stuck just having to be exposed in a small room all together) and the logistics in getting them care if they need it. 

I totally get it, my kid can get anxious too.  He lives with 3 guys and I'm glad they have each other this year, they're good kids and would help each other.  If we had to go over, we would.  But I'm not jumping to that conclusion now like I was earlier in the pandemic before vaccines.  I am actually more worried about him getting the flu, I want to get him a flu shot before he goes back!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Dd19 has Covid. She got it from my FIL's wedding. His new wife insisted she test because she's not vaccinated. Vaccinated guests did not have to test. Guess who was positive? Her vaccinated son. What a joke.

?  And apparently your unvaccinated dd is positive as well. Not a joke. 

I hope they both do well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

?  And apparently your unvaccinated dd is positive as well. Not a joke. 

I hope they both do well. 

I think she was saying they should BOTH have been tested. Her child tested negative. Went to a wedding and the cousin who ALSO should have been tested gave it to her child. Of course she is mad. 

• Like 3

As far as the wedding, your FIL’s new wife was probably just following the guidelines. For a long time, the belief, which was backed by data, was that vaccinated people were so unlikely to catch Covid that it wasn’t worth testing them.  A lot of workplaces and schools still have that policy; test to stay if not vaccinated.  Omnicron has spread much faster than policies can catch up.  

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I think she was saying they should BOTH have been tested. Her child tested negative. Went to a wedding and the cousin who ALSO should have been tested gave it to her child. Of course she is mad. 

Yrs, the joke is the new wife who was such a snob and made a big deal about DD being unvaccinated at her wedding. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

As far as the wedding, your FIL’s new wife was probably just following the guidelines. For a long time, the belief, which was backed by data, was that vaccinated people were so unlikely to catch Covid that it wasn’t worth testing them.  A lot of workplaces and schools still have that policy; test to stay if not vaccinated.  Omnicron has spread much faster than policies can catch up.  

I don't think that's the case because she and FIL wanted no masks and got permission as long as everyone was vaccinated (or tested negative). 

My brother and his wife, unvaxxed, had Covid over Christmas.  My sister-in-law got her positive Covid test results this morning---on her way to an induction.  She is vaccinated and boosted as of recent. So far, she is asymptomatic.  They are pretty cautious.  My dad called me this morning to let me know he is also Covid positive.  He only received 1 dose because he has been in an out of the hospital and rehab. He said he took cough medicine. He generally doesn't feel well, but in this regard, he said it wasn't too bad yet.  He just got his positive. Two days ago he was negative.

Edited by KrisTom
  • Sad 17

6 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I don't think that's the case because she and FIL wanted no masks and got permission as long as everyone was vaccinated (or tested negative). 

This has been the policy at most wedding facilities in my area the last six months.  Masks or proof of vaccination/negative test. Obviously it’s based on no longer accurate information.

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Dd19 has Covid. She got it from my FIL's wedding. His new wife insisted she test because she's not vaccinated. Vaccinated guests did not have to test. Guess who was positive? Her vaccinated son. What a joke.

I hope your DD and the new wife’s son feel better soon, and that no one else catches it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This has been the policy at most wedding facilities in my area the last six months.  Masks or proof of vaccination/negative test. Obviously it’s based on no longer accurate information.

Policies aren’t keeping up with the changes that omicron is bringing. The nursing facility we use for our parents is using protocols that were fine for delta, but make no sense now. Bureaucracy is slow! Also, people are slow to make changes in general. We want to do what’s been working, and it’s hard to tighten up.

It’s frustrating.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

My brother and his wife, unvaxxed, had Covid over Christmas.  My sister-in-law got her positive Covid test results this morning---on her way to an induction.  She is vaccinated and boosted as of recent. So far, she is asymptomatic.  They are pretty cautious.  My dad called me this morning to let me know he is also Covid positive.  He only received 1 dose because he has been in an out of the hospital and rehab. He said he took cough medicine. He generally doesn't feel well, but in this regard, he said it wasn't too bad yet.  He just got his positive. Two days ago he was negative.

I'm sorry about your SIL and dad. Do you mean she's on her way to have her own baby or that she's a doctor? If she's the one having a baby, I hope everything goes well for her and that her vaccines protect her baby from it. In either case, I hope she and your dad feel better soon.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm sorry about your SIL and dad. Do you mean she's on her way to have her own baby or that she's a doctor? If she's the one having a baby, I hope everything goes well for her and that her vaccines protect her baby from it. In either case, I hope she and your dad feel better soon.

She had her baby in record time!  I don't want to make light, but they said a perk was they skipped a lot of the registration/triage steps.  And thank you so much!  My father is high risk. He has been battling cancer complications this entire past year.  He sounded in good spirits.  My SIL's family will hopefully be okay.  I can't even imagine getting that news on my way to the hospital!

Edited by KrisTom
  • Like 13

My 25-year-old son just tested positive for probably Omicron today. He had Covid in Nov 2020, lost all taste and smell for about a month, and had the high fever and trouble breathing. He was vaccinated in April 2021. On New Years Eve, he had four friends over to his place for a small party, but it turns out that one the friends was sick with the "flu" but they also tested positive today. My son felt like he has done everything correctly - masked, stayed away from large parties, and everyone he invited was vaccinated. But this Omicron seems to be very infectious, even with the vaccinated. He says so far that he just feels like he has a really bad flu. 

• Sad 13

37 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

She had her baby in record time!  I don't want to make light, but they said a perk was they skipped a lot of the registration/triage steps.  And thank you so much!  My father is high risk. He has been battling cancer complications this entire past year.  He sounded in good spirits.  My SIL's family will hopefully be okay.  I can't even imagine getting that news on my way to the hospital!

Welcome to the world, little baby!

Hoping everyone has a mild, easy case , and as healthy as possible.

• Like 3

A friend's son was sick last week with a fever off and on (lower fever) and respiratory symptoms. She finally took him to the doc today--negative for flu and COVID, but it could have been too late, right? My friend now has symptoms--mild fever and ear pain/congestion.  She can't get into the doc until Thurs morning and her rapid test is scheduled for Friday evening. That seems too late too. No rapid kits to be found anywhere. I hate this. 

How do they expect us to deal with the rapid spread if there is no access to testing?

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, cintinative said:

A friend's son was sick last week with a fever off and on (lower fever) and respiratory symptoms. She finally took him to the doc today--negative for flu and COVID, but it could have been too late, right? My friend now has symptoms--mild fever and ear pain/congestion.  She can't get into the doc until Thurs morning and her rapid test is scheduled for Friday evening. That seems too late too. No rapid kits to be found anywhere. I hate this. 

How do they expect us to deal with the rapid spread if there is no access to testing?

My sister just had a test after a day with 101.4 fever and sore throat. It was negative. 3 more days with fever and even sorer throat and the tele-doc said the tests aren't accurate for Omicron? The doc said she definitely has it? Now her husband has the fever and he also tested negative.

I am wondering if others are hearing that testing is not that effective.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Calm37 said:

My sister just had a test after a day with 101.4 fever and sore throat. It was negative. 3 more days with fever and even sorer throat and the tele-doc said the tests aren't accurate for Omicron? The doc said she definitely has it? Now her husband has the fever and he also tested negative.

Was it an OTC test or a pharmacy/hospital rapid?  Thanks for clarifying.  I am also concerned about the negatives.

15 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

I am hearing that testing for omicron is not terribly reliable, around here.

41 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

I posted about this earlier in the thread but didn’t get any feedback. I linked an article or some data from FDA.

Edited by popmom

On 1/1/2022 at 9:57 PM, popmom said:

I continue to have muscle aches and joint pain off and on. Today has been terrible. I’m very grateful I don’t feel fatigued—just in pain.

So I started digging around about these NAATs. They aren’t all picking up Omicron. 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#omicron-reduced

My test was done through Quest Diagnostics and Walmart pharmacy. So I found out that one of the tests they use is made by Roche. 

We have great confidence that our original molecular test design, incorporating two targets that focus on regions of the virus that don’t tend to change, still holds up to all currently identified variants.”

https://diagnostics.roche.com/us/en/article-listing/assays-detect-coronavirus-variants.html

In reading Quest’s guidance they say that  if you have a known exposure and symptoms, treatment and isolation decisions shouldn’t be made based on a negative PCR. 

I’m going to call the pharmacy tomorrow to see if they can tell me which test I had. I just didn’t know this was a thing. I mean it makes sense after reading how the tests work…

I really don’t want to see a doctor in person, but I may need blood work done to see what else might be off and causing my pain. 

How much confidence do y’all have in the molecular tests? 

This is the post with links. @Calm37

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I can't seem to find the information but apparently the FDA did report that the OTC kits are less sensitive to Omicron but the research "relied on heat-inactivated COVID-19 samples, rather than live virus, so the poorer performance wasn't detected earlier."

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests#omicronvariantimpact

"The FDA continues to authorize the use of these tests as directed in the authorized labeling and individuals should continue to use them in accordance with the instructions included with the tests. Antigen tests are generally less sensitive and less likely to pick up very early infections compared to molecular tests."

So according to the FDA link I posted, if you get a negative rapid, you should still do a PCR.

"In following the FDA's long-standing rapid test recommendations, if a person tests negative with an antigen test but is suspected of having COVID-19, such as experiencing symptoms or have a high likelihood of infection due to exposure, follow-up molecular testing is important for determining a COVID-19 infection. If a person tests positive with an antigen test, they should self-isolate and seek follow-up care with a health care provider to determine the next steps."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

So according to the FDA link I posted, if you get a negative rapid, you should still do a PCR.

"In following the FDA's long-standing rapid test recommendations, if a person tests negative with an antigen test but is suspected of having COVID-19, such as experiencing symptoms or have a high likelihood of infection due to exposure, follow-up molecular testing is important for determining a COVID-19 infection. If a person tests positive with an antigen test, they should self-isolate and seek follow-up care with a health care provider to determine the next steps."

And labs are saying if you then get a negative PCR, don’t make treatment or quarantine decisions based on that because apparently false negatives are a thing??? This is Quest’s guidelines for health professionals.

Edited by popmom
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

And labs are saying if you then get a negative PCR, don’t make treatment or quarantine decisions based on that because apparently false negatives are a thing??? This is Quest’s guidelines for health professionals.

I am so confused about what anyone is supposed to do right now.  Surely someone among all the hundreds of scientists can put out a coherent guidance on this?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I am so confused about what anyone is supposed to do right now.  Surely someone among all the hundreds of scientists can put out a coherent guidance on this?  

You would think! But Omicron really throws a wrench in the process due to the high number of mutations and having only been around for such a short time. After reading this from Quest/FDA, I’m as confused as anyone. First page 5th paragraph is what I was referring to. But if you have time to read the rest, it’s very interesting—especially considering this guidance is pre Omicron.
https://www.fda.gov/media/136231/download

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I've been ordering Dr. Puri kf94s from amazon for a long time.  They suddenly went for next day shipping to...delivering in April. Thankfully I just ordered a couple of weeks ago. I had decided today to have the kids throw away their masks daily during this wave, and went to order more masks, but now I'm having to count my stash and reconsider.

50 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I am hearing that testing for omicron is not terribly reliable, around here.

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Was it an OTC test or a pharmacy/hospital rapid?  Thanks for clarifying.  I am also concerned about the negatives.

1 minute ago, popmom said:

You would think! But Omicron really throws a wrench in the process due to the high number of mutations. After reading this from Quest/FDA, I’m as confused as anyone. First page 5th paragraph is what I was referring to. But if you have time to read the rest, it’s very interesting. 
https://www.fda.gov/media/136231/download

30 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

My sister had hers at the clinic and her husband was OTC.

I'm hearing of multiple negative tests (both rapid and PCR) followed by a positive, so much so that when someone who is symptomatic tells me they took one test and don't have Covid I don't believe it. 

If people can find rapid tests, swabbing the tonsils first (or even just the back inner third of the cheeks), then the nose, makes the test more sensitive. Medical Twitter has countless examples of health care providers who suspect they have Covid rapid testing negative with a nasal swab and then retesting positive with a throat/nasal swab.

Several countries and rapid test manufacturers already recommend both throat and nasal swabs, not just the nose. 

The other issue is that very hot or cold temps skew results, at least with rapid tests. Not sure about PCR. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653221000639

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Right? There's a video today of the Florida Surgeon General saying that people need to get out of this "testing psychology" and stop testing, while standing behind a podium that says "EARLY TREATMENT SAVES LIVES".  The disconnect is mindblowing.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Calm37 said:

A relative found out today that their family was exposed on Friday night (that person tested positive today). Relative’s 11 year old woke up today and had a headache and vomiting. The dad wasn’t feeling well either, but I don’t know specific symptoms on him. The dad got tested at the school he works at, and it was negative. The dc got tested at the medical clinic and it was positive. Imo, the dad most certainly has covid and had a false negative on the at-home test (taken at school)

Edited by mmasc
Clarification
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I feel like there’s no immunity at all against actually catching the infection, and multiple people out sick and quarantining is wrecking our staffing. 

Maybe they need ivermectin 🙂

• Haha 19