Menu

Toilet bowl brush w/holder - recommendations?

Kassia

We need new toilet bowl brushes w/holders for our bathrooms.  I started to look online and got overwhelmed with so many choices so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has a kind they recommend before I spend too much time doing research on this.  

When we need new ones, I usually just buy the next-up-from-cheapest at Target or Walmart. I have bought a lot of toilet brushes in my life and really don't see much difference in them. It has not been my experience that more expensive ones last longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick something. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Libman-Libman-Designer-Toilet-Brush-Poly-Fiber-Toilet-Brush/1001037696  The ones I have now are sort of like this, with the little door that opens. They're fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Toilet-Bowl-Brush-and-Holder-315MBHDXRM/204357151  I'll bet what I have is an older version of this one. Notice the no skid rubber bottom. The green of the libman (from Lowes) wouldn't go with my decor, but it's cute. All mine are plain white/grey.

Definitely don't spend too much time on it. Just walk into Lowes/Home Depot and pick the one that calls to you. They'll be open at 7am. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

This is the only thing I’ll use.  

Have you bought it recently? I read the reviews, and the recent ones are awful, all with the same complaint that the sponge falls apart before you can finish cleaning. Otherwise it looks like it would work well. 

I’ve bought the wands within the last 18mos and the refills within the last six months.   I haven’t had any problems at all.   I can’t imagine the scrubber part falling apart.  That would have to be some major heavy duty scrubbing.  I also use those Clorox toilet tank drop ins so maybe that’s why my toilet stays pretty clean on it’s own?  Idk.

• Thanks 1

I bought a 2 pack not too long ago at Sam’s. The brand is Polder. At the time, they were marked down. The regular price is $20 for 2. That’s high, but they are definitely  holding up better than my normal Walmart or Target brushes. These aren’t going flat on me, and I’ve been using them ...almost a year?? Roughly. Also, it comes with extra brush heads. I never thought I’d need or want “upgraded” toilet brushes, but I have to say...I’m impressed. 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Those are very appealing but seem so wasteful. I just can't get behind throwing a sponge away every single time I clean the toilet. 

OP, I just get sturdy-ish ones that stand in a plastic caddy. You want the plastic caddy to be very easy to wipe out/wash as well, because eww. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, katilac said:

Those are very appealing but seem so wasteful. I just can't get behind throwing a sponge away every single time I clean the toilet. 

OP, I just get sturdy-ish ones that stand in a plastic caddy. You want the plastic caddy to be very easy to wipe out/wash as well, because eww. 

I can’t imagine at this point putting a brush back into its holder after use. And I don’t want to be washing the brush that just cleaned the toilet. I neglect other areas of the house, but I’m kind of obsessed with having very clean toilets. I’ve reduced waste footprint elsewhere to compensate for this waste.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WTM said:

Our local Costco is selling a two pack of oxo brand toilet brushes. They are high quality and come with replacement brush heads. 

Thanks!  We don't have a Costco here but my son is a member so I can have stuff shipped.  I'll take a look.  

Thank you to everyone - lots of great ideas!  @popmom ds2 is a Sam's club member so I'll check those out in addition to all the other recommendations!  

🙂  

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Have you bought it recently? I read the reviews, and the recent ones are awful, all with the same complaint that the sponge falls apart before you can finish cleaning. Otherwise it looks like it would work well. 

I have three--one in each bathroom--all purchased within the last six months. I wish I'd saved my money. They work okay. Not great, but okay. The sponges don't really fall apart, but they get very floppy quickly. It's more of a chemical clean than a mechanical clean in that it seems to me the chemicals do much more of the work than the sponges, and I'm really just using the sponge to spread the chemical around. But whatever's in them does get the toilets sparkly clean. I'm on a septic system, so I'm a bit leery of putting that much of what is almost certainly a harsh chemical in my tank too often (my bad for not considering that before buying). Also, the wand doesn't always want to "grab" or attach to a new cleaning sponge, so I often have to do that by hand. Mostly I find myself using the regular old brush and a tiny squirt of all purpose cleaner or dish detergent. For me that seems to work more satisfactorily. When I use up all the sponges I have I kinda sorta doubt I'll buy any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm on a septic system,

I don't think the once a week is a problem, but I did have problems (at our old house, older septic) when I put in those hanging things in the toilet. I'm not certain they pushed it over (yuck) but the timing was certainly there.

6 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I can’t imagine at this point putting a brush back into its holder after use. And I don’t want to be washing the brush that just cleaned the toilet. 

Technically what you're supposed to do is rinse the toilet brush in the clean water after you flush and then leave it hanging on the seat to drip dry. I just rinse, shake off a bit, and put in the holder. The cover gets dusty, so every so often I wipe the cover and then quickly wipe out the inside of the holder and throw the paper towel away.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KSera said:

8 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’ve bought the wands within the last 18mos and the refills within the last six months.   I haven’t had any problems at all.   I can’t imagine the scrubber part falling apart.  That would have to be some major heavy duty scrubbing.  I also use those Clorox toilet tank drop ins so maybe that’s why my toilet stays pretty clean on it’s own?  Idk.

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I have three--one in each bathroom--all purchased within the last six months. I wish I'd saved my money. They work okay. Not great, but okay. The sponges don't really fall apart, but they get very floppy quickly. It's more of a chemical clean than a mechanical clean in that it seems to me the chemicals do much more of the work than the sponges, and I'm really just using the sponge to spread the chemical around. But whatever's in them does get the toilets sparkly clean. I'm on a septic system, so I'm a bit leery of putting that much of what is almost certainly a harsh chemical in my tank too often (my bad for not considering that before buying). Also, the wand doesn't always want to "grab" or attach to a new cleaning sponge, so I often have to do that by hand. Mostly I find myself using the regular old brush and a tiny squirt of all purpose cleaner or dish detergent. For me that seems to work more satisfactorily. When I use up all the sponges I have I kinda sorta doubt I'll buy any more.

I used these for around nine years or 10 years and something has definitely happened to the quality of the sponges.  The last two years is when I noticed the issues... sponges falling apart (had to reach into the toilet many times to grab the blue scrubby end that fell off and sunk to the bottom), I had some fall apart while still in the storage bag, and I had some just completely fall off the wand altogether, again necessitating reaching into the toilet bowl. For whatever reason, I could never use the wand to poke/grab it and work it up the edge of the toilet, so I had to reach in. Blech.  I got so fed up that I just used them up and tossed the kit out and bought an old-fashioned brush from Walmart a few months ago.

I do miss the disposable sponge style, but the old style brush works just as well, if not better, IMO. Plus, less cost and waste, so there is that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I can’t imagine at this point putting a brush back into its holder after use. And I don’t want to be washing the brush that just cleaned the toilet. I neglect other areas of the house, but I’m kind of obsessed with having very clean toilets. I’ve reduced waste footprint elsewhere to compensate for this waste.

Me, too.   I won't go back to a regular toilet brush as long as they make anything even similar to the Clorox wand.  Because 🤮.  All of us have a line we draw for ourselves and using a toilet brush over and over again is mine. 😆 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

No idea, lol. We never used it. I just like that the silicone didn't drip. 

I looked again and they show a photo of someone using the tweezer to remove hair from the bowl...

ETA - I don't need to know what the "something else" would be! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, WTM said:

Our local Costco is selling a two pack of oxo brand toilet brushes. They are high quality and come with replacement brush heads. 

Another vote for OXO. I haven’t seen them at Costco since early Covid, but did find one at Bed Bath Beyond. 

14 hours ago, katilac said:

I just can't get behind throwing a sponge away every single time I clean the toilet. 

Yes dependent on how often you clean. We live in the country with well water. All four toilets need washed every week. 

2 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

We have one in each bathroom (4) and buy refills from BJs. Love it!

And I actually decided to leave the wand with the sponge in the water to see if it would fall apart after 20 minutes. It looks sturdy. But I bought them recently within the last 2 months.

@PeterPan this is how I do my toilets! with some minor differences. After scrubbing with Comet, I flush and dip the brush letting the clean water flow over it. Then I wait a minute and flush one more time (because a bit of Comet will come off in the dip). Then I leave the brush propped under the lid to drip dry into the toilet. I don't put the brush back in its home until it's dry. So I don't have to wipe out the holder every single time. 

I also don't turn the water off. I just sprinkle the Comet around the ring and scrub. 

I love Bon Ami, too, but I mostly use it in the kitchen. I prefer the original formula which has to be ordered online.

I have been moving to all powder cleansers to reduce our consumption of plastic. I switched to only powder laundry and dishwashing detergent. I order Spic n Span powder in the box from Amazon for all purpose stuff. I'm finding that the powders work as well or better than anything else and there are no fumes to trigger my asthma.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1