Menu

Bad news

lauraw4321

Please don’t quote. 

My mom found a lump in her breast. She’s had breast cancer (over 5 years ago).  I told her it’s probably nothing, just swollen lymph node from her COVID shot. Plus she just had a mammogram less than a year ago. 

Ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy later, it’s malignant. Radiologist hinted it may not be breast cancer.  MRI soon. Definitely will need chemo. 

I’m so sad. I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. We’re going to Disney in 2 weeks (her included) and she doesn’t want anyone to know. Which I understand. There’s nothing to do. There’s nothing to say. I’m just so sad. 

• Sad 58

1 hour ago, lauraw4321 said:

The kids have an unexpected day off from school. I should be playing with them. But I just want to lie down. I feel guilty. And angry? I guess at God? 

Let go of the guilt. You are grieving. 
It’s ok to be angry. It will actually probably help you process it all.

I hope you have a fantastic trip. 

• Like 3

I am sorry. News like that is always tough 😞

And it is ok to be angry, even at God. I struggled with feelings of guilt surrounding my anger towards God when my Dad was diagnosed with ALS and then again when Mom entered hospice care with metastic breast cancer. One thing I learned is that not only does God understand, he can handle it. Life is not fair sometimes. Hugs and prayers for you. 

Enjoy your time and trip as best as you can. Make some beautiful memories!!

• Like 3

I'm really sorry. I'm sure you know this, but angry feelings are normal. I know how hard it is to be told not to talk about it or tell anyone. When my mom had breast cancer, she didn't want anyone to know outside of our immediate family, even the grandparents and aunts and uncles or close friends. It felt like I was being told that I couldn't process things in the way that would have been helpful for me. I happened to live a few hours away from her, so I did tell my friends, because I needed support. Know that you can talk things out here, even if you cannot in real life. In my situation, my mom never ever talked about her cancer, but it sounds like your mom just wants to get through the Disney trip without thinking and talking about it all of the time, or knowing that others are thinking about it. I hope you are able to enjoy the trip and not have this be a cloud over you.

• Like 1

I wish I had something more helpful to say than that I am sorry. 

I think the idea of getting through the vacation without spreading the news first, if that's what she wants, is a good one. The process and outcome will be what it is, and if you all can make some memories and enjoy some time together without the cloud of worry hanging over everyone's head, that's probably valuable.

I wish your mom and your whole family the best.

• Like 1