Menu

What else do you use leeks in?

Farrar

Caramelised  and served as a vegetable side

Cut up into little pieces as per usual. Put a dab of butter in cast iron frying pan. Put leeks in and sprinkle with salt, cover with a tight fittin g lid and  cook slowly for 15to 20 minutes. 

Stir only once to check not stick g. You want to trap the steam in 

• Like 1

I do a LOT of stir fries and leeks are great for this.  I also like them in cold sides like potato salad or tuna salad.  I'd just use them up in anything that calls for onions.  In my house we joke that "I don't know what I'm going to make for dinner, but I know I need to saute an onion first."  You can get fussy about which onion goes in which dish, but it's fine to use onions (any of them), shallots, or leeks interchangeably.  

• Like 3

Leek gratin is one of my favorites. Lucky you to have lots of leeks. I also love them simply cooked until they’re melted. Oh, or cooked with cream with oysters in the shell and then put under the broiler until the oysters are just warmed. 

eta I’m just sitting here with my mouth watering thinking of all the things to do with leeks. Leek and goat cheese tart, leek quiche, salmon on a bed of leeks, crispy leeks, risotto with leeks, on white pizza... Going to market tomorrow to buy great bunches of leeks. 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

Oh ho. As a fancy side instead of a soup! Leek gratin.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/11/potato-and-leek-gratin/

Okay, this is useful. I do a lot of stir fries and that occurred to me that if I didn't come up with anything else, I'd do that.

I also start with onions for cooking... this is just the first time in ages we've had a produce box. The leeks are not something it occurs to me to buy myself.

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You can also cut up the whole bunch and freeze them to use whenever you need pre-prepped onions.

Everyone says to do this, but I honestly never do. I mean, onions keep. Chopping them is so easy and begins practically every other meal or more that I could almost do it in my sleep.

We most often put them in mashed potatoes. They go in with the potatoes in the last ten minutes of boiling, and then get mashed in with the potatoes. I also put them in a frittata along with some kind of greens with some frequency.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Everyone says to do this, but I honestly never do. I mean, onions keep. Chopping them is so easy and begins practically every other meal or more that I could almost do it in my sleep.

I don't think you understand how big of a box I'm picturing.

• Haha 2

I make a veggie side dish with sautéed pancetta, leeks, and mushrooms and either Brussels sprouts or English peas (season dependent). I use a sprinkling of dill at the end. My family is nuts over it. I first had a version of it in france and now every time I find leeks and dill, well, I know what I’m making. 
I also make a cauliflower goat cheese gratin of my own invention that contains leeks.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I make a veggie side dish with sautéed pancetta, leeks, and mushrooms and either Brussels sprouts or English peas (season dependent). I use a sprinkling of dill at the end. My family is nuts over it. I first had a version of it in france and now every time I find leeks and dill, well, I know what I’m making. 

I don’t love mushrooms, but otherwise this sounds utterly amazing.

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Do you sauté them first?  Or add them to the steamer?

If you are using the leeks more as a garnish, you sauté them first. For us, we just add them to the steamer. I use a wok as a steamer most of the time since it’s bigger than the IKEA steamer. So it is      fish go in plate, then leeks/ginger/garlic goes on top of fish, then add soy sauce and sesame oil. Then just put the plate on a steel trivet in the wok and steam. 

e.g https://www.finecooking.com/app/uploads/2018/07/RecipeCard-SteamedSalmon.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1