Menu

high protein, not spicy food for recovery from injury (my mom)

ktgrok

My mom has always been frail boned. She has struggled with osteoporosis, as did her own mother. She takes meds which I think moved her to osteopenia, plus vitamins/suplements. But has broken so many bones over the years (to the point doctors make a point of asking Dad to step out so they can be sure she's not being abused!)

She also tends to eat too little, and not much protein. She is the type of person that considers some squash a meal. She's gained weight since her cancer surgery and being more sendentary, and too carbs hurt her arthritis.

She broke her humerus last night, again. 3rd time, sigh. Luckily this time it is her left.  I'd like to bring some food that is easy for dad to reheat, or for her to just grab and eat, that is actually going to be nutritionally supportive. I have a feeling dad is going to order quite a bit of take out. Thoughts?

Oh - she DESPISES onions, and doesn't like yogurt 

Normally, my go to is baked ziti, but that's pretty carby. Maybe with a meat sauce? Or pasta with some grilled chicken and tomatoes and spinach? 

Otherwise, thinking more small snacks. She doesn't eat much at once. So, I remember she likes cottage cheese, that's got protein and calcium in it. And some cut fruit. And then...I'm at a loss, lol. 

She does not like spices in general - as in she won't give toddlers jarred pasta sauce because it is "too spicy", lol. Not a beans and rice person, etc. 

Maybe I'l grab some creamed chipped beef as a treat - she loves that on toast. 

What about a variety of good deli meats with those low carb, high protein wraps?    Chicken salad or tuna salad with the wraps? 

Hummus with Parmesan crisps or whatever those cheese crisps are made of? 

carrots and ranch (I get the ranch cups so I can limit how much ranch I get, but they’re super easy for a quick snack even if you’re on the go). 

• Like 3

My mom who has always been a small eater takes Ensure high protein milk when recovering from knee surgery due to rheumatoid arthritis. That is what the doctors recommended anyway as my mom doesn’t eat much. My dad buys the can and also the ready to drink bottles.

• Like 6

If she was a geriatric nurse she’ll be very familiar with Ensure high protein shakes.  I’d tease her about blending some up with a scoop of ice cream. And then actually do it if she doesn’t eat. Remind her that if she doesn’t eat those medications will make her nauseous too.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Katy said:

If she was a geriatric nurse she’ll be very familiar with Ensure high protein shakes.  I’d tease her about blending some up with a scoop of ice cream. And then actually do it if she doesn’t eat. Remind her that if she doesn’t eat those medications will make her nauseous too.  

get this, she doesn't like ice cream either!

But yes, she does know she has to eat something. I'm sure she'll eat a bit of toast at least. 

I talked to her, she doesn't want me to come yet, which I get. I'm going to send an order via Shipt to her and Dad this evening after they are back from the doctor I think. I'm thinking cottage cheese, fruit, some good cheese (she likes good cheddars, brie, etc), some good bread, and some good deli meats and sliced cheese and maybe a rotisserie chicken and a bagged salad. Oh, and I think she likes pudding, that would be something to get in her tummy before meds if nothing else tastes good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My mom who has always been a small eater takes Ensure high protein milk when recovering from knee surgery due to rheumatoid arthritis. That is what the doctors recommended anyway as my mom doesn’t eat much. My dad buys the can and also the ready to drink bottles.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. 

• Like 1

What about frozen, shelled edamame. It’s a complete protein. You can put some in a bowl, add a few tbsp water, and a little salt. Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes or so for  a half cup serving. So simple. She can add them into other foods or eat them plain as a snack. Also....does she like quinoa? Also a complete protein. The edamame can be mixed in as well as greens or just about any veggie. So nutrient dense and filling. She could add in a banana or other fruit on the side. This would all be easy for you to make and take and so healthful for her while she recovers. I hope she likes these things.

7 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

What about frozen, shelled edamame. It’s a complete protein. You can put some in a bowl, add a few tbsp water, and a little salt. Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes or so for  a half cup serving. So simple. She can add them into other foods or eat them plain as a snack. Also....does she like quinoa? Also a complete protein. The edamame can be mixed in as well as greens or just about any veggie. So nutrient dense and filling. She could add in a banana or other fruit on the side. This would all be easy for you to make and take and so healthful for her while she recovers. I hope she likes these things.

She does like edamame!

No hummus - the garlic makes it too spicy, lol. 

I would think rotisserie chicken deboned, preseasoned fajitas (oven bake or instant pot the meat), fish (cook in oven from frozen) and some microwaveable veggies are a good start.

I wouldn’t send a lot of snacks. She needs to be eating meals and not snacking: this is an issue with a lot of the elderly.

Has she had a bone density test lately?

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would think rotisserie chicken deboned, preseasoned fajitas (oven bake or instant pot the meat), fish (cook in oven from frozen) and some microwaveable veggies are a good start.

I wouldn’t send a lot of snacks. She needs to be eating meals and not snacking: this is an issue with a lot of the elderly.

Has she had a bone density test lately?

I'm not sure when her last bone density was, but she does follow up on it. 

Fajitas, or any mexican, is "too spicy". And my dad was a commercial fisherman so they are really picky about fish. He can grill and such, I'm more worried about her needing a little extra, if that makes sense? If she's feeling icky she won't eat a full meal, and will go without anything. (the woman was 130lbs at 9 months pregnant with me, she's bad about eating). 

But she will eat say, some fruit and cheese. 

• Like 1

Is she taking a really good Vit D supplement with K2 for bone health? 

If she eats very small meals and isn't getting enough protein, I'd try to ensure that each component of the meal has protein whenever possible. For example, if making baked ziti, use a high-protein pasta made with chickpea flour or quinoa flour and include lots of cheese and meat. Serve chicken breast with quinoa cooked in bone broth instead of white rice and peas (which are surprisingly high in protein); do a beef stir-fry with edamame in a sauce of tahini and soy sauce and sprinkle with hemp seeds; serve scrambled eggs with cheese on high-protein toast, etc.

If she likes pudding, do you think she would eat chia pudding? Chia seeds are super high in protein as well as Omega 3s. If she'll drink smoothies, you can put flax seeds and Greek yogurt in them.

• Like 1

Hard boiled eggs, nuts, hard cheeses.

When my father needed to build back / keep on weight, we plowed protein powder into anything we could stir it into. We were particularly successful with thick creamy soups.

Hummus definitely can be made without garlic or other spices, and eaten with carrots / celery / red peppers if processed carbs are hard.

Are you trying to work calcium in as well? Or is she beyond that point.

So, stir fry and stuff she won't eat - doesn't like pepper or onions or such. 

I have a cart ready for Shipt that has hard boiled eggs (pre cooked, she will eat those dipped in a bit of salt), a good hard cheese, some brie, cottage cheese, sliced corned beef (her favorite) and sliced swiss with a nice fresh baked sliced bread. Rotisserie chicken, bagged spring greens salad with walnuts and blue cheese, creamed chipped beef, and for a treat some pudding cups. Also, flowers, because she deserves them 🙂

I figure that's a start, and when I visit in a few days I'll cook some other stuff. 

• Like 6

What about those p3 snacks it's like a handful of nuts, cheese and lunch meat.  They have several varieties they are so easy to grab and eat.  My middle who is super active but also an under eater really likes perfect bites.  Its peanut butter chocolate chip dough type thing that is in high in protein and tastes kind of like cookie dough.

• Like 2

Just now, rebcoola said:

What about those p3 snacks it's like a handful of nuts, cheese and lunch meat.  They have several varieties they are so easy to grab and eat.  My middle who is super active but also an under eater really likes perfect bites.  Its peanut butter chocolate chip dough type thing that is in high in protein and tastes kind of like cookie dough.

oh! Good idea!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, stir fry and stuff she won't eat - doesn't like pepper or onions or such. 

I have a cart ready for Shipt that has hard boiled eggs (pre cooked, she will eat those dipped in a bit of salt), a good hard cheese, some brie, cottage cheese, sliced corned beef (her favorite) and sliced swiss with a nice fresh baked sliced bread. Rotisserie chicken, bagged spring greens salad with walnuts and blue cheese, creamed chipped beef, and for a treat some pudding cups. Also, flowers, because she deserves them 🙂

I figure that's a start, and when I visit in a few days I'll cook some other stuff. 

You are very sweet and thoughtful.  ❤️   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My mom has always been frail boned. She has struggled with osteoporosis, as did her own mother. She takes meds which I think moved her to osteopenia, plus vitamins/suplements. But has broken so many bones over the years (to the point doctors make a point of asking Dad to step out so they can be sure she's not being abused!)

She also tends to eat too little, and not much protein. She is the type of person that considers some squash a meal. She's gained weight since her cancer surgery and being more sendentary, and too carbs hurt her arthritis.

She broke her humerus last night, again. 3rd time, sigh. Luckily this time it is her left.  I'd like to bring some food that is easy for dad to reheat, or for her to just grab and eat, that is actually going to be nutritionally supportive. I have a feeling dad is going to order quite a bit of take out. Thoughts?

Oh - she DESPISES onions, and doesn't like yogurt 

Normally, my go to is baked ziti, but that's pretty carby. Maybe with a meat sauce? Or pasta with some grilled chicken and tomatoes and spinach? 

Otherwise, thinking more small snacks. She doesn't eat much at once. So, I remember she likes cottage cheese, that's got protein and calcium in it. And some cut fruit. And then...I'm at a loss, lol. 

She does not like spices in general - as in she won't give toddlers jarred pasta sauce because it is "too spicy", lol. Not a beans and rice person, etc. 

Maybe I'l grab some creamed chipped beef as a treat - she loves that on toast. 

Use high protein pasta for any pasta dish

add both meat and dollops of ricotta to the baked ziti

if money isn’t an issue, buy several pre portioned high protein snack boxes. If money is an issue, DIY with cheese, sausage/pepperoni, nuts, HB eggs

cans of nuts to snack on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

How are her hands? Those are hard to open.

Her hands are terrible - my dad would open them for her. 

46 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Quiche would be ideal--it's basically eggs, cheese, and milk in a pie crust.  Onions are optional, LOL.  Some put bacon in it.  I often use mushrooms, which are fairly high protein as veggies go.  

OH!!!! She LOVES LOVES LOVES quiche! And dad likes it too! That's perfect! And I can get regular crusts premade, so no worry about getting gluten all over my kitchen with making it myself. (my son has celiac so we keep the kitchen pretty much gluten free). I'd feel fine using a storebought crust, filling, and baking and then taking to her. Such a great idea!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Her hands are terrible - my dad would open them for her. 

OH!!!! She LOVES LOVES LOVES quiche! And dad likes it too! That's perfect! And I can get regular crusts premade, so no worry about getting gluten all over my kitchen with making it myself. (my son has celiac so we keep the kitchen pretty much gluten free). I'd feel fine using a storebought crust, filling, and baking and then taking to her. Such a great idea!

How I do it:

Saute whatever veggies or meat I will use.  (Optional.  Fine without it.)

Cut up enough smallish cubes of cheese to loosely fill the purchased frozen pie crust.  I always use two kinds, generally sharp cheddar and a white cheese like Monterey Jack or maybe Havarti.  I've been meaning to try Swiss but have not done so.  Toss them with a little bit of nutmeg, a little bit of white pepper, and whatever veggies and/or meat is going in.  So, for instance, recently I used half of a mild Italian sausage, cooked and then cut in half the long way and then sliced very thin.  Cut up small like that, half is plenty for an entire quiche.  Put this into the crust.

Break 4 eggs into a big bowl.  Mix with a fork just enough to get an even color (no bits of yolk or white).  Add an equal amount (volume) of milk (I eyeball this).  It really works fine with anything from 1% milk to cream.  I often have a little cream left over from a recipe, and I use that and top it off with whatever drinking milk we have handy.  Beat together briefly with a whisk or egg beater.  Pour into the pie shell, filling it to about 1/2 inch from the top of the crust.  It swells some with baking so this leave room for that.

Put the quiche onto a cookie sheet and bake until set, about 35-45 minutes at 375.  

Notes:  It's fine without the sausage.  It's awfully good with chicken apple sausage, and a little sweeter.  It's also awfully good with mushrooms but you really have to cook them until they are a bit crisp rather than limp beforehand.  It's wonderful with chopped onion.  Not for her, but maybe for someone else.  Basically this is a foolproof recipe that never fails to be fast and very satisfying.  It's a good way for DH to feel like he had carbs without very many of them also.

We really like this chicken soup. You can freeze it.

Chop and fry a base veggie. We use onion but celery would work. 

Add a tbs of ground cumin and stir. Brown some chicken breast or thighs. 

Cover with stock. Simmer till chicken cooked. Take out, cool and shred. 

Bring stock back to boil, add half cup of rice. Cook till rice done. 

Add shredded chicken back in. On low heat, stir in some dill, some baby spinach and juice from one lemon. Don't let it boil. 

It's really very comforting, easy to eat, but the chicken provides a protein hit. The taste is delicate.

Collagen, no flavor and she can put it in her morning coffee, or stir it into whatever soup, cottage cheese, etc.

Bone broth to sip on.

Good quality protein drink, like Core Power, Fairlife Nutrition plan, etc.   There are better ones, but I don't have names in front of me.