Menu

Anyone want to guess what breed of dog this is? And other puppy related things...

sweet2ndchance

So this puppy was found abandoned by its owners. The owners moved out of the house a week or two ago and this poor little thing has been just wandering around the property. Their other dog was found dead on a chain in the yard. Dh and I are guessing possibly chiweenie? She seems to be between 8 and 16 weeks old by our best guesses. We'll get her into a vet but our normal vet is working limited hours due to covid.

She wants to chew but we don't have any good puppy chew toys for her. Our other dog is good with her but all of her toys are too big. Even our smaller tennis balls are too big. She found a Nerf dart ball that the cat likes to play with but it seems like a choking hazard for her so I took it from her. So what are some good puppy chew toys? Bonus points if I can order it online.

IMG_20210114_152354547_2-cleaned.thumb.jpg.e07dadb1fe406e5614b24babab3c88fb.jpg

• Like 6

What a gorgeous color he is!  So sweet looking.  For this age soft chew toys are good.  Especially ones that have the crinkle sound inside.  Chewy has all kinds of things to choose from.

Thanks for saving him.  Makes me ill people could leave animals like that.  On a chain even worse.  

• Like 5

I don’t know the breed, but she sure has a sweet face! Thank you so much for saving her. I’m just sick about the poor other dog, and how this one was treated as well. I’m glad she’s at least getting a second chance and a good family.

• Like 5

I never try to guess which breeds are all mixed up in the sweet pup who is going to live with me. You just can't tell, and it doesn't really matter, does it?

Also, by "chiweenie" I guess you meant a chihuahua and dachshund mix? She doesn't look like either one to me, but again, you just can't tell. 🙂

• Like 2

She's so beautiful! My heart breaks for the other poor dog, but I am so glad this little one was saved and will have a wonderful life.

These are some of the toys my dogs liked when they were babies:

https://www.chewy.com/kong-puppy-goodie-bone-dog-toy-color/dp/118862

https://www.chewy.com/nylabone-teething-pacifier-puppy-chew/dp/39345

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-puppy-lil-romps-beary-cuddly/dp/193139

• Like 5

Well for a short term, my puppy loves empty soda bottles.  Depending on how much she chews, that might only last a day or two (I remove them as soon as they start making sharp edges) but at least it's something in the meantime. Also my puppy LOVES bully sticks and can spend several hours gnawing them.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Well for a short term, my puppy loves empty soda bottles.  Depending on how much she chews, that might only last a day or two (I remove them as soon as they start making sharp edges) but at least it's something in the meantime. Also my puppy LOVES bully sticks and can spend several hours gnawing them.  

Oh I forgot about empty bottles.  My dog LOVED them....still does but she is a super chewer so she can't have them any more.  Take the lids off just in case he gets it off.  

Oh my goodness, she is darling. 

The dogs' story breaks my heart. Who does that??? The authorities ought to make the owners come back and see what they've done, and then prosecute them for animal abuse.  

I see possible Chi in the neck / chest area and the face. I have no idea what she might be mixed with! 

Here are some favorites of my small dog (about 12 lbs.). All are soft, squeaky, and very durable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H34F5BK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNQ2VVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.chewy.com/hartz-bug-eyes-squeak-latex-dog-toy/dp/110661?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Hartz&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irg1c7l3myjbfhpnwEc4aGLOHZQqBJUqfvjZMT39ef3IsDwHFfNY0EUaAi4lEALw_wcB (we have the duck)

• Like 4

No, it doesn't really matter what she is, she has a forever home regardless now. Just thought it would be fun to try and guess. :-)

She sounds exactly like Grandma's chihuahua when she barks lol It has been so long since we've had a puppy around. We've got several toys in our Amazon basket now. I tried giving her an empty water bottle but she just looked at me like "What do you want me to do with this?" lol Might try smearing something tasty inside it later.

I did look at the Kelpie, she does look very similar. lol 

Here is another pic from last night lol.

IMG_20210113_232705323-cleaned.thumb.jpg.3c5891c7a7d24284cd5b487bf332cd47.jpg

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Kebo said:

She looks like a little Kelpie, but is much more likely to be a chiweenie, or some similar mix.  Lots more of those around!  DNA testing might be fun if you keep her. 

Kelpie was my first thought, but I agree that it's not likely. You see all sorts of wild breeds on Petfinder dogs for adoption, but the reality is -- most mixes are mixes of very common breeds. And going with that in mind, I can see a bit of Labrador in her. Puppies are often harder to guess than older dogs.

• Like 1

Oh I told dh that we need to watch for a deal on the dog DNA tests lol. I'd love to know what both our dogs are. Both are rescues from similar situations. The shelter we got our other dog from had her down as a mountain cur/catahoola mix but we are fairly certain she is at least part pit bull. I'll have to find or take a picture of her....

• Like 2

I'd like to discourage you from giving her anything you won't want her chewing on when she's older.  Socks, water bottles, etc.   Some dogs never give up their puppy favorites, and you don't want an adult dog swallowing your socks or running off with your water bottles.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, klmama said:

I'd like to discourage you from giving her anything you won't want her chewing on when she's older.  Socks, water bottles, etc.   Some dogs never give up their puppy favorites, and you don't want an adult dog swallowing your socks or running off with your water bottles.

Yes, and socks or other fabric items can be so easily swallowed and cause obstructions. Same thing with rope toys.

• Like 2

Here's our other dog, she was also abandoned by her owners but it was a couple of doors down from someone who worked at the shelter. So we got her from the local shelter about 5 years ago I think? Maybe 6 years. She definitely has nanny dog tendencies. lol

She also was not impressed with me waking her up to take this pic lol.

IMG_20210114_182327303-cleaned.thumb.jpg.acc670324d2905af412d84826a6e6c8f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Aww, your other dog is super sweet, too! They are both so fortunate to have landed with you.

I asked my husband what he thought about your new dog's ancestry. He thinks yes to Chihuahua but definitely no to dachshund (and I agree). We wonder if there might be some terrier in there. If so you might have your hands full. 😉 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

No, it doesn't really matter what she is, she has a forever home regardless now. Just thought it would be fun to try and guess. 🙂

She sounds exactly like Grandma's chihuahua when she barks lol It has been so long since we've had a puppy around. We've got several toys in our Amazon basket now. I tried giving her an empty water bottle but she just looked at me like "What do you want me to do with this?" lol Might try smearing something tasty inside it later.

I did look at the Kelpie, she does look very similar. lol 

Here is another pic from last night lol.

IMG_20210113_232705323-cleaned.thumb.jpg.3c5891c7a7d24284cd5b487bf332cd47.jpg

This picture melted my heart.  Oh my word she is precious!  I'm glad she now has a loving warm home and plenty to eat.  Have you named her yet?

Edit: I just saw the picture of your other dog.  She is adorable too.

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ditto said:

This picture melted my heart.  Oh my word she is precious!  I'm glad she now has a loving warm home and plenty to eat.  Have you named her yet?

Edit: I just saw the picture of your other dog.  She is adorable too.

Dh named her Kira after the character in the book Ready Player One lol.

So we have Anabelle (the shelter named her and we just kept it), Kira and Dizzy the cat (because she likes to jump in computer chairs and make them spin around lol).

Oh and the 6 chickens in the backyard but we usually just call them collectively "the chickens" lol. Ds8 says he wants to have 10 dogs, 10 cats, 10 horses.... you get the idea lol. He just wants a zoo. :-P

• Like 5

What a sweetie!  Thank you for rescuing her!  I can't even think about what happened to the other dog, or what might have happened to this one before you found her.  

Her eyes remind me of my dd's dog, which is believed to be a chihuahua, pug, beagle mix.  His eyes are sweet/sneaky/suspicious all at once.  Her dog was adopted too, and is now about 20 pounds at 2 years.  There's probably a good chance that there's some chihuahua in yours...  That seems to be pretty common for small mixed breeds.  

I remember my dd's dog liked chewing on small puppy-sized nylabones. 

• Like 3

She does look like a little red kelpie type mix to me and I grew up around them.  But they are pretty common here, maybe not so much there?  Edited to add our kelpie pups tended to have slightly floppy ears as babies that became more pricked as they grew.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

https://www.chewy.com/petstages-dogwood-mesquite-tough-dog/dp/186163

https://www.chewy.com/benebone-bacon-flavor-tough-dog-chew/dp/233549

I don't have a small dog (I have PWDs ) but they are very mouthy and need to chew.  They love the two listed above items.  Bully stick upset their stomach if I give too often plus they stink.  

She is adorable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

She does look like a little red kelpie type mix to me and I grew up around them.  But they are pretty common here, maybe not so much there?  Edited to add our kelpie pups tended to have slightly floppy ears as babies that became more pricked as they grew.

Kelpies aren't common as household pets in the US, but a lot of cattledogs here have kelpie blood. There is a famous type of cattledog called Hangin Tree Cowdogs that are sold all over the US and fetch top dollar. They contain a very specific mix of 3/8 border collie, 1/8 Catahoula, 1/4 kelpie, and 1/4 Australian shepherd. If OP lives in cattle country, that could explain it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Just outside of cattle country in the mountains of western Arkansas. So it's not outside the range of possibility. There was a cattle pasture just across the dirt road at the house where she was found.

I think you live very near me.  Have we discussed that before?