Menu

Well folks, I think I have realized my limitations

DawnM

will you all still like me if I am a known quitter???

I am not sure I can follow through with finishing my National Board certification.    It has sucked up my time, energy, stress levels, etc.....

When I signed up, life was normal.   My mom hadn't died, my dad hadn't moved to NC, and I hadn't taken in a 2 year old and battled a very stressful family member whose 2 year old had been taken.

Add working full time into that mix and honestly, I have had to take a step back and self-reflect.    National Boards will give me more $$ and might help me get jobs easier, but otherwise, it is a lot of effort and work.   It would enhance my job, but has no bearing on me keeping my job.    And I don't plan to work more than another 10 years max, probably fewer.

I hate that I have poured this much energy, time, and MONEY into it,  but I am feeling like quitting is the best decision for now.

I did email the NB company and ask about refunds for test portions not yet taken, and/or extensions on the deadlines, so a final decision hasn't been made, but I feel. like this entire thing in the last year has been a giant boulder on my shoulders.

Thanks for hearing me out, and please tell me I am not alone in quitting big things due to life getting in the way.

• Like 32

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If they could at least do this, it would be nice. Life has changed.

Do you find yourself wanting to quit the job too? 

no, not really.   I enjoy working, and want to work a few more years to build up my retirement more.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've recently started telling myself I'm not failing at following through, I'm prioritizing my energy elsewhere. And that's okay. 

I like that train of thought.  What is the saying you can have everything in life, just not at the same time.   You have been through a lot and it is ok that your priority is your family right now.   You have to know your limits.  Listen to them.  You are never wrong.  

Maybe you come back to this in time.  Maybe you don't.  Whichever happens is ok.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wishes said:

I had a co-worker once tell me that the National boards were “harder than my breast cancer but easier than my brain surgery “. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. No thanks.

I have felt like it is equal to getting a master's degree......but 100% on your own, with no direct instruction or guidance.

Remember the phrase: don’t throw good money after bad.  Just because you already spent some money on it, and maybe feel that that money was wasted, cut your losses and don’t waste more of your money.

That also goes for energy.

If this won’t help you meet your goals, then I say it’s ok to stop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dawn, 

This isn't quitting.

This is re-prioritizing.  There's no shame in it.  It is silly to push through something that has decreased value just to say you persevered.  Perseverance is an excellent quality, but....

Let's say I start in Iowa and I want to go to NYC.  I get out of my driveway and at some point I see the sign that says, "Welcome to Nebraska!" Persevering (continuing to move forward) for the sake of perseverance when it is not meeting my CURRENT goals, is just an exercise in stubbornness, not the smartest thing to do.  

When you started there was a plan.  Life happened.  You altered your goal destination.  It's wise to change course sometimes.
((Hugs))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you add one or more dependent (Dad and 2 year old) to the situation, you have to start over with setting goals and priorities. Those goals and priorities will be different than a situation with older teens/young adults and fully independent elders. In other words, live your life in chapters; you're in a new chapter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As I read everything that you’re doing, and how your life has changed in the past couple of years, all I picture is a performer we watch at our university’s basketball games...she’s Red Panda and she rides a very tall unicycle while throwing china bowls on top of her head...one by one until the stack is so high you think she can;t possibly throw another up that far, let alone balance it there. And yet she does. 
You’re allowed to change your mind. Kudos to you for knowing you’re beyond your limit and thoughtfully choosing how to fix that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Annie G said:

As I read everything that you’re doing, and how your life has changed in the past couple of years, all I picture is a performer we watch at our university’s basketball games...she’s Red Panda and she rides a very tall unicycle while throwing china bowls on top of her head...one by one until the stack is so high you think she can;t possibly throw another up that far, let alone balance it there. And yet she does. 
You’re allowed to change your mind. Kudos to you for knowing you’re beyond your limit and thoughtfully choosing how to fix that. 

I have added flame throwing and sword swallowing......stay for the encore show to see!  🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Great news!  I hope you feel relieved.  🙂

Honestly, as soon as I dropped from the components and the class I almost teared up I felt such relief.   I am now positive I made the right decision.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 6:11 AM, Hyacinth said:

You’re allowed to change your mind. This is true for both big and little things. I’m sorry this has been such a rough year. Frankly, you sound amazing to me. 

I agree with Hyacinth. You sound super-human. Taking care of the 2-year-old would be my top priority.

Congratulations on getting money back too!

W.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1