Menu

New Years Eve ideas?

rebcoola

Our tradition is appetizer type food and watching all the Christmas shows we didn’t get to- Rudolph, Frosty, Grinch, Miracle on 34th St, It’s a Wonderful Life, Nestor the Long Eared Donkey, Magoos Christmas Carol etc. Then close to midnight we turn on the tv to watch the ball drop.

eta- I have three teens and we’ve been doing this for maybe 5 years now?

Edited by matrips
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Anything going at a local zoo or botanical garden have anything going? 

Ours both have outdoor, distanced, light exhibits. 

We don't have a zoo or botanical garden.  I will keep an eye out for outdoor activity.   

We might do movies but that's kind of our go to when DH works nights.

Poker could be fun after the little one goes to bed.  We've played a few times but it's been a while.

• Like 1

We usually have a party, with our closest friend-family sleeping over.  Lots of kids, some other friends and neighbors.  We play games, and eat, and do little activities every hour, and eat.  We have a balloon drop at midnight, then go outside and make noise and have fun.  We take silly pics in ridiculous NYE outfits. 

This time, it will just be us.  I will probably decorate and plan some games, maybe some movies.

...watching this thread for ideas...

• Like 2

I know I posted this before:

In the evening we eat yummy foods, often fondue or little appetizers, then do predictions for the coming year but start by reading last year's sealed envelope of predictions.  We give a point for each correct one, half a point if you've jumped in on someone else's and got it right.  Accuracy is pretty low - out of hundreds of predictions total, the winner might have gotten six or seven correct.  Maybe we're just dense.  We have categories like politics, sports, kids we know getting into colleges, marriages, babies, new restaurants in town, etc.

This year should be interesting - two of our "extra' kids have decided to quarantine and get tested to be able to come for the evening, but we'll be zooming in the other regulars.  We had to make an actual matrix last year to cover all the possible outcomes of the primary season and election, which I think every one of us ultimately predicted wrongly.  Olympics, sports, cultural events - all of last year's guesses will be skewed because of covid.  The real question is whether any of us predicted the pandemic, in which case they will win.  Instantly.

Every year we have a few little secret guesses folded into the edges- for this year mine was my oldest and wife would be expecting....there's still time for an announcement!

One of my kids and a close friend usually create a wacky ball drop at midnight that always ends with the friend playing Auld Lang Syne on bagpipes out in the yard and no, the neighbors haven't shot at us yet. 

• Like 4

Listening. Usually we don't really celebrate at all but I want to do something fun this year. I'm loving the ideas.

So far my plan was lots of fun foods/appetizers that I don't usually make. Board games.

I won't actually stay up until midnight as I'll be up at 4:30 the next day and I feel ill when I stay up late but the kids can continue their celebration in the basement and stay up late.

• Like 1

We don’t usually (ever) celebrate NYE, but this year I’ve been informed by the teen that we are watching Diehard 3. 😂

We kicked off December with the first and the second was supposed to be tonight (solstice) but we watched it over the weekend because tonight is a school night.

• Like 2

A lot of areas around here are having extensive light displays.  Can you plan an hour car ride with hot chocolate and snacks and view different light displays in your area?  

Then maybe some fun games that you typically do at birthday parties?  How about those English poppers that have little toys, etc. in them?  Decorate-your-own pizza?

Sometimes if we don't want to stay up till midnight, we'll find some country in the world that's ahead of us in the time zone and turn on TV to one of those celebrations and celebrate early.  🙂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Growing up, we would have a midnight poker game with different colored candies instead of chips.  It's the only time I've ever played poker. 

I'm thinking maybe this is the year to introduce that tradition to my kids.  

Now I wish I knew how to play poker.  That sounds fun.

10 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Now I wish I knew how to play poker.  That sounds fun.

We would play with the rule book beside us.  It's not a very hard game.  Strategizing and learning how to win is hard, but when the stakes are jelly beans that's a little easier.

My DH knows how to play for real though so if we do it this year it might be even more fun. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

We would play with the rule book beside us.  It's not a very hard game.  Strategizing and learning how to win is hard, but when the stakes are jelly beans that's a little easier.

My DH knows how to play for real though so if we do it this year it might be even more fun. 

I need to see if I can find it before NY.  You have me very intrigued and it sounds fun to play for jelly beans.  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I need to see if I can find it before NY.  You have me very intrigued and it sounds fun to play for jelly beans.  Thank you!

This is the version we play:

There are other kinds, like Texas Hold 'Em but 5 Card Draw is a pretty easy game.  You just need to print out a chart that shows how much each hand is worth. If you want your kids do to math, then blackjack or 21 is fun too. 

We probably wouldn't assign values to colors the first time, just have all the candies worth the same amount.  Also, Covid has made me realize that the way we played, with everyone's fingers all over the jelly beans is a little gross, so maybe we'll play with something wrapped like caramels or life savers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Bonfire and fireworks
movie marathon
boardgames

Bonfire and fireworks are definitely our style.  We are planning to do a bonfire on Christmas Eve since their is no candlelight service this year. 

Fireworks are legal here on the first but their is nowhere to buy them. I wish I had bought extra in July.

• Like 1

I’m actually kind of excited about an idea I have for New Year’s Eve. I’m going to do a PowerPoint with all (many...some...) of the Corona Memes I have saved throughout the year. We will click through them and eliminate/vote for the Top Ten. Maybe come up with a few categories or awards. Not exactly sure...but I think it will make for a fun evening of laughter!

It actually will probably be more than Top Ten. Way back in April, I decided to start saving the memes in a file and print them out in a photo book for Christmas gifts this year. But it didn’t take long to become overwhelmed by the sheer volume! I have close to 800. I knew it was going to end up costing too much to print, but I wanted a fun way to share them. If we could whittle it down to a reasonable number, I still plan to make a photo book of our favorites. Perfect memory of 2020 in my opinion. The memes have been my therapy...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cougarmom4 said:

I’m actually kind of excited about an idea I have for New Year’s Eve. I’m going to do a PowerPoint with all (many...some...) of the Corona Memes I have saved throughout the year. We will click through them and eliminate/vote for the Top Ten. Maybe come up with a few categories or awards. Not exactly sure...but I think it will make for a fun evening of laughter!

It actually will probably be more than Top Ten. Way back in April, I decided to start saving the memes in a file and print them out in a photo book for Christmas gifts this year. But it didn’t take long to become overwhelmed by the sheer volume! I have close to 800. I knew it was going to end up costing too much to print, but I wanted a fun way to share them. If we could whittle it down to a reasonable number, I still plan to make a photo book of our favorites. Perfect memory of 2020 in my opinion. The memes have been my therapy...

Okay this is genius the big kids are obsessed with memes.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cougarmom4 said:

This is such a fun idea!

I hope you don’t mind if I steal it!

• Like 1

Well, I'll probably be asleep by then, but there will be a free, live via zoom, DDP Yoga class at 11pm, adult beverages at your own risk, lol. 

I'm doing the live Christmas day class, but although I've adjusted to staying up later due to marrying a night owl I'm not sure I can bring myself to exercise that late, lol. But I MIGHT make it. Maybe if DH wants to do it with me. Would help me burn off some yummy NYE snacks at least....

The class is free - but you do need to register in order to get the zoom link. https://transitioncoach.ca/online-classes?fbclid=IwAR3wQRTP49ceQhklaS7DmYG7QY-fnju_oPR0J4o8LXecznamnjRexVTH22k

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 10.06.39 AM.png

• Like 1