Menu

How do you wash walls? Large walls.

Familia

My walls, especially in the master bedroom need serious cleaning.  They are vaulted, so high in spots.  I do not have littles, so there are no fingerprints or anything, but the previous owner burnt candles in there (from what I guess), so they seem not only dusty, but grimy.  

Usually we paint frequently, so only dust occasionally between times, but not in this house. 

I need step by step.  I envision: dusting with a lambs wool mop then using a bucket of ________ and a rag to hand scrub lower areas, then mop for up higher.  What do I use as a cleaner, and do I stop at a certain height and call it good?  With the (sorry to say) slightly grimy texture that is holding onto the dust I have tried to remove, I am concerned that this is a)going to take a lot of elbow grease and b) may result in spotty looking walls if not successful.  

What is your method?

I use TSP (buy it at a hardware store) as indicated on the label. I haven't done rooms with high ceilings before but I suspect you will need to do the entire wall; stopping at a certain height will probably be noticeable. Good luck!

https://www.instructables.com/How-To-Clean-Surfaces-with-TSP/

Edited by NorthwestMom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NorthwestMom said:

I use TSP (buy it at a hardware store) as indicated on the label. I haven't done rooms with high ceilings before but I suspect you will need to do the entire wall; stopping at a certain height will probably be noticeable. Good luck!

https://www.instructables.com/How-To-Clean-Surfaces-with-TSP/

So...TSP is not just before painting?  My (completely uneducated) impression was that it would mess with the finish.  

I use TSP as well (use gloves if washing by hand). For high walls you could use a mop and a pole extension like you'd use with painting. 

If you aren't worried about the flooring, you could also try a pressure washer. I had a roommate who did this on interior walls, but I don't think I would ever do it for fear of water damage and lack of controlling where the water goes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

I use TSP as well (use gloves if washing by hand). For high walls you could use a mop and a pole extension like you'd use with painting. 

If you aren't worried about the flooring, you could also try a pressure washer. I had a roommate who did this on interior walls, but I don't think I would ever do it for fear of water damage and lack of controlling where the water goes.

Yes, there is no way in the world that DH would let me go after anything with a pressure washer haha!  It is a carpeted room with wood furniture, some antiques that I do not intend to move (my mom would roll over in her grave over that).

Edited by Familia

45 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

We're supposed to wash walls?!?!?

I would say -- only if somebody is smoking cigarettes inside.  

Edit:  or grimy crud from something else.  But if someone is smoking indoors -- yes, they do need to be washed.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Just now, PeterPan said:

What in the world is on your walls?? Do you have an oil furnace or something and need to check the filter? 

They’re mostly majorly dusty.  But, when I simply run a dust cloth over it, it clings more than I would expect, and the walls look, well, dirty IMO.  I do think that it complicates matters with the master being open to the master bath via the open ceiling area.  All that moisture!  Who thought that open ceiling areas in master suites was a good idea??  

I just looked up ‘walls’ in the cleaning bible: Home Comforts - The Art & Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson.  Haven’t picked it up in years.  She says 1)vacuum, 2) clean a few sq yards at a time, beginning at the top, with a mild cleaner (or stronger if needed).  One rag to wash, another from clean water bucket to rinse.  3)wipe dry with a third cloth.  Oh, and some paints, especially old ones cannot take it.  

We would just paint, but this is not a good time at all!  

• Like 1

I was going to say, TSP, too.  Then go over the wall with clean water to wipe off TSP residue.   If walls end up spotty - well, at least you know they are clean and ready to paint when warm enough to open windows.  I painted very high up on our house by using the doohicky that fits on the end of a pole and clamps onto a paint brush or roller.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

When we wash walls we use either just a wet cloth or a wet cloth with a little bit of dish soap.  I have littles (who aren't so little anymore, I guess), so a lot of grimy fingerprints.  I want something that is safe for them (no chemicals/fumes), so dish soap it is.  It actually seems to work pretty since most of the dirt on the walls is the same stuff that had been on their plates a few minutes before...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Familia said:

it clings more than I would expect, and the walls look, well, dirty IMO.  I do think that it complicates matters with the master being open to the master bath via the open ceiling area.

I think you're onto something there. My walls in my bath do that, and I think you're right that it's something about the water/moisture from the shower. Can you install a new ceiling fan and maybe spec it for much higher than the room to see if you can keep it from recurring?

• Like 1

I have the ultimate solution. A Duprey Neat Steamer.

Put a shop rag on the floor attachment and then go to town on the walls. Makes wall cleaning so simple and effective.

No drips. No mess. You don't even need chemicals (but can use a tiny spot or Dawn or something).

The wand attachment makes reaching the top of normal height walls very easy (and the wand is lightweight).

The results are top notch and it requires very minimal effort. It is amazing how much fresher homes feel after walls get a quick steam cleaning.

The Neat steamers do many jobs really well, but they do none better than quickly and efficiently cleaning walls. The best!

Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Cleaner-Multipurpose-Steamer-Floors/dp/B07C44DM6D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-MhOeXzAZCTgzWoNqWMpfRjnaunxdiTc7Lxt0oB_5mFuMJuW5u7fUhoCcNAQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409971057566&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031190&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7150232917539554558&hvtargid=kwd-509161608127&hydadcr=16042_11418651&keywords=dupray+neat+steam+cleaner&qid=1607971236&sr=8-1-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDMFI5VkM1QTBTOUkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NDg2NDlPQllGWTBYM0hFSTEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDg4MTkyMkhBUlk5NURMVDlTRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Put a shop rag on the floor attachment and then go to town on the walls. Makes wall cleaning so simple and effective.

No drips. No mess. You don't even need chemicals (but can use a tiny spot or Dawn or something).

The wand attachment makes reaching the top of normal height walls very easy (and the wand is lightweight).

The results are top notch and it requires very minimal effort. It is amazing how much fresher homes feel after walls get a quick steam cleaning.

The Neat steamers do many jobs really well, but they do none better than quickly and efficiently cleaning walls. The best!

Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Cleaner-Multipurpose-Steamer-Floors/dp/B07C44DM6D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-MhOeXzAZCTgzWoNqWMpfRjnaunxdiTc7Lxt0oB_5mFuMJuW5u7fUhoCcNAQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409971057566&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031190&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7150232917539554558&hvtargid=kwd-509161608127&hydadcr=16042_11418651&keywords=dupray+neat+steam+cleaner&qid=1607971236&sr=8-1-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDMFI5VkM1QTBTOUkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NDg2NDlPQllGWTBYM0hFSTEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDg4MTkyMkhBUlk5NURMVDlTRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Yes, the steamer...I am stubbornly waiting to buy the Tosca.

I follow all your successes on here with envy, but I had made the Tosca promise to myself right when the Neat was launched.  A removable hose might sway me, but I doubt it.  In the meantime, I either must let things remain dirty or put more effort in than I’d like.  I have a part-time gig each winter which affords me something to buy for the house each year.  This year it was to be the Tosca. But, nope: my job in cancelled this year d/t Covid shutdowns.

ETA - my DH will have heavy needs for it (although he is not quite convinced YET) outside and in his workshop, so that is one of my reasons for wanting the Tosca over the Neat.

Edited by Familia

59 minutes ago, Familia said:

Yes, the steamer...I am stubbornly waiting to buy the Tosca.

I follow all your successes on here with envy, but I had made the Tosca promise to myself right when the Neat was launched.  A removable hose might sway me, but I doubt it.  In the meantime, I either must let things remain dirty or put more effort in than I’d like.  I have a part-time gig each winter which affords me something to buy for the house each year.  This year it was to be the Tosca. But, nope: Covid.  

ETA - my DH will have heavy needs for it (although he is not quite convinced YET) outside and in his workshop, so that is one of my reasons for wanting the Tosca over the Neat.

There was/is supposed to be a Neat II at some point with a detachable hose. I expected it by now. Perhaps another victim of the pandemic?

I kid you not, steaming the walls to clean them makes this job SO EASY!!!

I can't imagine that the very lust-worthy $1000 Tosca does a better job than the economy-model $179 Neat for this task, and I bet you'd need to turn the Tosca down to "low" so it didn't peel the paint.

The Tosca does inspire envy. The one job the Neat does OK (but not excellently) is cleaning grout. I bet the Tosca would be a big step up on that task. The Neat is slow going on grout.

And the rugged form factor of the Tosca is better for workshop and heavy outdoor work vs the cute (but plastic) Neat.

I've cleaned walls by hand with a rag and TSP (or whatever) and that is a job. Wipes me out. You will see how easy this job becomes with a steamer. Great on floors as well.

Bill

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

This weekend I mixed up ammonia and water and sprayed the walls with a squirt bottle. Then just wiped them down. I imagine you could use a mop as well

Have you been able to buy ammonia since the pandemic began? That is the one product that has not returned to stores around here.

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Have you been able to buy ammonia since the pandemic began? That is the one product that has not returned to stores around here.

Nor Lysol liquid.  Neither the original brown bottle nor the all purpose liquid.  I am a few cleaning products gal, and I really miss my bottle of Lysol!

On the walls, I will begin tomorrow to vacuum - I have the extension attachment ready to go.  (You didn’t expect me to begin today, did you??  I was too busy 😇 researching ph’s of common household cleaners, finding my husband’s stash of simple green in the garage, and dusting off my portable Oreck that was a favorite tool of Ds when he used to do the stairs).  Then I will use a very dilute solution of simple green (with a light hand, as their site says that eggshell finish, which we have, may be damaged by rubbing), followed by clear water and dry rag.  Wish me luck!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Familia said:

Nor Lysol liquid.  Neither the original brown bottle nor the all purpose liquid.  I am a few cleaning products gal, and I really miss my bottle of Lysol!

On the walls, I will begin tomorrow to vacuum - I have the extension attachment ready to go.  (You didn’t expect me to begin today, did you??  I was too busy 😇 researching ph’s of common household cleaners, finding my husband’s stash of simple green in the garage, and dusting off my portable Oreck that was a favorite tool of Ds when he used to do the stairs).  Then I will use a very dilute solution of simple green (with a light hand, as their site says that eggshell finish, which we have, may be damaged by rubbing), followed by clear water and dry rag.  Wish me luck!

$175 $149 and you'd have a Neat. The amount of savings on personal labor costs would pay for this thing in no time. 

Tosca Shmoska. Life is short. 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Please tell me you didn't start a new SOMETHING EVERY BOARDIE IS GOING TO WANT right before Christmas. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS. What will come off walls if I buy this thing? Handprints? Crayon? Dead bug juice? 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Please tell me you didn't start a new SOMETHING EVERY BOARDIE IS GOING TO WANT right before Christmas. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS. What will come off walls if I buy this thing? Handprints? Crayon? Dead bug juice? 

Handprints, yes. Dead bug juice, yes. Dust, dirt, and grime, yes.

Crayon, not 100% sure (but it think the heat would melt the wax and you could lift if out with the rag). Might take multiple passes.

Very versatile machines. I consider my steamer as an essential house tool, just like a vacuum. Great on wood and tile floors.

Game changing on the dreaded job of cleaning/sanitizing toilets and cleaning bathtubs/showers.

A cut below high-end professional steamers on grout, but still pretty amazing vs scrumming with a brush an harsh chemicals.

We even steam the mattresses. Makes them feel fresh.

I know I sound like a salesman, but these are the bomb IMO.

I'm at the age where the hard house cleaning jobs were getting a little harder for me. The streamer lightens the work. Easier, more efficient, more pleasant, and better results.

And on sale at $149? Santa Claus is coming to town!

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Handprints, yes. Dead bug juice, yes. Dust, dirt, and grime, yes.

Crayon, not 100% sure (but it think the heat would melt the wax and you could lift if out with the rag). Might take multiple passes.

Very versatile machines. I consider my steamer as an essential house tool, just like a vacuum. Great on wood and tile floors.

Game changing on the dreaded job of cleaning/sanitizing toilets and cleaning bathtubs/showers.

A cut below high-end professional steamers on grout, but still pretty amazing vs scrumming with a brush an harsh chemicals.

We even steam the mattresses. Makes them feel fresh.

I know I sound like a salesman, but these are the bomb IMO.

I'm at the age where the hard house cleaning jobs were getting a little harder for me. The streamer lightens the work. Easier, more efficient, more pleasant, and better results.

And on sale at $149? Santa Claus is coming to town!

Bill

Do you happen to know if it can be used on stained concrete floors?

1 hour ago, Vintage81 said:

Do you happen to know if it can be used on stained concrete floors?

I stained and sealed the concrete floors in our (now converted to living space) garage. They sparkle after a quick steam.

Great for getting up the very fine bit of dust that subtly dull the look of floors and that hard to get up otherwise.

Top-notch on stained concrete.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Crayon? 

Let me update one thing. On the crayon, I would go slow and try to remove in multiple passes.

You would not want to keep steaming the same spot for a very long time, as I think you could--if persistent--heat the paint so much that it might come off the walls. In fact I'm, sure that it would.

With great power, comes great responsibility. LOL.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

But he DID! OMG, I need this thing!  Did you see where he said it cleans showers?  And then it cleans furniture too.  Yep.  We needs it, precious. 

• Like 2

OP, I have washed walls many times due to moving into rentals where smokers lived before us. Bucket of hot soapy water and a rag does the trick.   I really like to use Fabuloso all purpose cleaner.  It works better on cigarette smoke than anything else I've tried, so I imagine it would work great on candle soot too. 

For the ceilings and higher walls, I use a long handled mop.  It feels very strange to mop the upper walls, but it doesn't take long to find your rhythm.   The ceiling gets uncomfortable to do, but it's worth it in the end.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

But he DID! OMG, I need this thing!  Did you see where he said it cleans showers?  And then it cleans furniture too.  Yep.  We needs it, precious. 

If you have a film of stubborn soap scum (especially the kind that can't really be seen, but doesn't really seem to ever want to come off completely) apply a little bit of a product called Weiman Bathtub Cleaner first (a Mrs Spy Car discovery).

This Weiman stuff is a light thin clear liquid. You just need to apply very lightly, wipe on, and let sit a minute. When you steam all the stubborn soap scum washes away. Great combo w/ steamer in bath.

https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Bath-Tub-Cleaner-Fiberglass/dp/B0015T0NUW

Bill

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Dammit, Bill 

I see they still promise to deliver by Christmas.

Husbands across America are stressed about the lack of the prefect--and highly romantic type gifts that capture the true feelings in their hearts--and what better way than with steam?

Thank me later.

Bill

• Haha 2

Walls do need cleaning occasionally.

Spic & Span powder is my go to for cleaning walls and trim, etc. Good stuff. You can't beat it--even with a (Karcher) steamer which I also have. For tough stains...Bon Ami powder. Bonus: no plastic goes to the landfill. 🙂

Edited by popmom