Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

18 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

So now that boosters are open for all, what does everyone think about boosters for a healthy 20-year-old male at uni? Or a 24-year-old high school teacher? 

I feel as though the infection numbers are concerning, so booster away. (I got the booster as soon as I could.) Yet I also worry. 

Genuinely curious to hear thoughts on this. Thank you.

My 22 yr old is getting a booster soon. He said he'd get one each, of Moderna and Pfizer, if he could, lol. And he's had a breakthrough case already - he just doesn't want another. Ever. 

• Like 3

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

So now that boosters are open for all, what does everyone think about boosters for a healthy 20-year-old male at uni? Or a 24-year-old high school teacher? 

I feel as though the infection numbers are concerning, so booster away. (I got the booster as soon as I could.) Yet I also worry. 

I would do it for both.   I might prefer Pfizer over Moderna for male.  Otoh, I know a late 30ish healthy female who got two pfizers, a Pfizer booster, and symptomatic covid a week later, yikes!  So if no covid at all is the goal, maybe moderna is worth the slightly higher myocarditis risk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is they talking about boosting teens up there currently?  I of course wish that I would have spaced out my teens, but that wasn't anything that was in the news at that moment.  Sigh.  Now with my 3 littles I think it probably is the best long term thing to do, however we are in a huge surge and I am not going to do that.  

Yes there is 12+ starting in January 2022

• Like 2

I think both my kids (19 & 23) want Pfizer boosters. They are both thin, healthy, don't have any underlying risk factors, and take high doses of D3/K2, so I feel like Pfizer will be fine for them. I'm higher risk than they are, plus my risk of myocarditis is close to zero, so I chose Moderna.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Syllieann said:

@mommyoffive that's reassuring.  I wonder if it will be the same for 5-11 or if the smaller dosage will cancel.  I know I'm going  to do dd's shot at 3 weeks but I keep going back and forth on ds.  The case rate and positivity has me leaning toward 3 weeks, but I wish I could hold out for 8.

I went with 4 weeks, figuring that might be better than 3, but still gets it done fairly soon and before the holidays. 

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Here’s a good Atlantic article from Ashish Jha addressing this. I like to read his stuff, as he always seems to have quite a balanced approach.https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/11/booster-shots-now-confusing-rules/620740/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Absolutely yes.
My DD has gotten hers, and I have strongly encouraged DS (college student) to get his ASAP. They both got vaxxed as soon as they were eligible, so are past 6 mos from their second shots.

I see how the situation is unfolding in Europe in a scary way, and I see no reason to assume we won't be seeing the same in the US soon.  I want them protected.

• Like 1

A friend of mine got her toddler daughter into the Pfizer trial for 2-5 yos.  She's almost certain that her daughter got the vaccine (there was a 75% chance to begin with) because the little girl had some reactions (painful injection site, tiredness) the next day.  

The data from the trial is expected early next year.  However, the doctor told her that the FDA may not be willing to grant an EUA for this age group. 

• Like 2

Dh and I both have had our boosters a few weeks ago . We both work in healthcare. I am an RN and take care of covid patients.  The majority of our hospitalized covid patients are unvaccinated and younger. Our covid numbers are pretty high right now in WI where I work, but not as high as last year at this time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lancet study published today on efficacy of various booster combinations:

BNT/BNT prime followed by ChAd or BNT15 mcg or BNT 30mcg or Novavax or Moderna 100mcg or a few others

ChAd/ChAd prime followed by ChAd or BNT 15mcg or BNT 30mcg or Novavax or Moderna 100mcg or others.

Result:  ChAd/ChAd followed by either BNT or Moderna had a very strong immune response, with Moderna knocking it out of the park.   

BNT/BNT followed by BNT full dose or Moderna also very good, Moderna booster looks better for under 70yo

The timing is perfect for us, as DH had AZ/AZ and is due for his mRNA booster next week and we have to decide Pfizer vs Moderna.  I think Moderna.

• Like 5

Also, it's very nice for the AZ/AZ people who felt a bit ripped off (worse immunity, higher risk of adverse events than mRNA/mRNA) that AZ/Az followed by mRNA appears to be an AMAZING combination.  Better than mRNA/mRNA followed by mRNA booster..  

Edited by wathe
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, wathe said:

Also, it's very nice for the AZ/AZ people who felt a bit ripped off (worse immunity, higher risk of adverse events than mRNA/mRNA) that AZ/Az followed by mRNA appears to be an AMAZING combination.  Better than mRNA/mRNA followed by mRNA booster..  

It should be noted that although AZ + Moderna resulted in a larger percent increase in antibodies compared to Pfizer + Moderna, that is due to the fact that Pfizer recipients started out with antibody levels that were 3-4 times higher than AZ recipients even before the boosters. 

Tables 5 through 10 in the Lancet article, which cover the various vaccine/booster combinations in different cohorts, show that Pfizer + Moderna results in the highest level of antibodies at 28 days post-boost, generally followed by Pfizer + Pfizer, and then AZ + Moderna.

Some examples comparing the level of anti-spike IgG, ELU/mL, in the matched/unboosted control group vs boosted  participants at 28 days:

Table 10 / Cohort C:
AZ + Moderna      600 ---> 23,771
Pfizer + Pfizer       2094 ---> 27,498,
Pfizer + Moderna   2094 ---> 30,654
Table 7 / Cohort B

AZ + Moderna       852 ---> 31.111,
Pfizer + Moderna  3029 ---> 33,768.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It should be noted that although AZ + Moderna resulted in a larger percent increase in antibodies compared to Pfizer + Moderna, that is due to the fact that Pfizer recipients started out with antibody levels that were 3-4 times higher than AZ recipients even before the boosters. 

Tables 5 through 10 in the Lancet article, which cover the various vaccine/booster combinations in different cohorts, show that Pfizer + Moderna results in the highest level of antibodies at 28 days post-boost, generally followed by Pfizer + Pfizer, and then AZ + Moderna.

Some examples comparing the level of anti-spike IgG, ELU/mL, in the matched/unboosted control group vs boosted  participants at 28 days:

Table 10 / Cohort 😄
AZ + Moderna      600 ---> 23,771
Pfizer + Pfizer       2094 ---> 27,498,
Pfizer + Moderna   2094 ---> 30,654
Table 7 / Cohort B

AZ + Moderna       852 ---> 31.111,
Pfizer + Moderna  3029 ---> 33,768.

You are right.   I should have read more closely.  

It's still great news for AZ/AZ folks.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wathe said:

Lancet study published today on efficacy of various booster combinations:

BNT/BNT prime followed by ChAd or BNT15 mcg or BNT 30mcg or Novavax or Moderna 100mcg or a few others

ChAd/ChAd prime followed by ChAd or BNT 15mcg or BNT 30mcg or Novavax or Moderna 100mcg or others.

Result:  ChAd/ChAd followed by either BNT or Moderna had a very strong immune response, with Moderna knocking it out of the park.   

BNT/BNT followed by BNT full dose or Moderna also very good, Moderna booster looks better for under 70yo

The timing is perfect for us, as DH had AZ/AZ and is due for his mRNA booster next week and we have to decide Pfizer vs Moderna.  I think Moderna.

I did Pfizer/Pfizer then Moderna 50 mcg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TCB said:

I did Pfizer/Pfizer then Moderna 50 mcg

I had Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer.   Now I think Moderna would have been the better booster choice - live and learn.  I'm just happy to have had a booster dose at all, truly.   We've been slow and stingy with them here. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wathe said:

I had Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer.   Now I think Moderna would have been the better booster choice - live and learn.  I'm just happy to have had a booster dose at all, truly.   We've been slow and stingy with them here. 

I also had Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer. I wondered if Moderna would be a better booster, but I had my Pfizer booster at the end of September, well before the Moderna boosters were approved. I work in a school so it seemed better to get it sooner. Now, at over two months post-booster, I am not so sure. I wonder if the boosters will keep immunity high longer than the original two did.

• Like 1

Going to make an appt tomorrow for a booster shot. I got Moderna for the first two in Feb/March.

I know I can get the “third dose” or the booster of Moderna.

Is there a reason to choose the Pfizer instead? 

I am mid 50’s, diabetic (type 1.5) and have Hashimoto’s. Not overweight and no other health issues. 

6 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Going to make an appt tomorrow for a booster shot. I got Moderna for the first two in Feb/March.

I know I can get the “third dose” or the booster of Moderna.

Is there a reason to choose the Pfizer instead? 

I am mid 50’s, diabetic (type 1.5) and have Hashimoto’s. Not overweight and no other health issues. 

No, there's no advantage in terms of efficacy in choosing Pfizer over Moderna. The only advantage might be if you had a really bad reaction to Moderna and wanted the lower dose of Pfizer (30 µg vs 50). Personally, if I were eligible for a "3rd dose" (100 µg) of Moderna, I'd go with that unless I had a severe reaction to the first shots.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

No, there's no advantage in terms of efficacy in choosing Pfizer over Moderna. The only advantage might be if you had a really bad reaction to Moderna and wanted the lower dose of Pfizer (30 µg vs 50). Personally, if I were eligible for a "3rd dose" (100 µg) of Moderna, I'd go with that unless I had a severe reaction to the first shots.

I had a moderate reaction to the second shot: a night of chills, body aches, and generally feeling crummy. Fine by 18 hrs post shot. I just need to find a “free” day to stay in bed after the booster! 

1 hour ago, wathe said:

I think the difference is probably not very great, and both options are good. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:27 PM, ScoutTN said:

I had a moderate reaction to the second shot: a night of chills, body aches, and generally feeling crummy. Fine by 18 hrs post shot. I just need to find a “free” day to stay in bed after the booster! 

That was me with a second shot. None with a Moderna booster, but I did have a swollen lymph node for couple of days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Boy, MSN consistently has headlines that I find misleading. In this case, it sounded to me like this was something different than the other study data out today, this time showing that Pfizer specifically was less effective against omicron compared to other vaccines. Which isn’t what this was about at all. Maybe it’s just me that read it that way. Rereading it, it’s technically correct, but ambiguous/misleading. That happens a lot with them.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 3

Does anyone know what study the Pfizer CEO is talking about that supposedly shows three doses against omicron is similar to two doses against wild type?  Is he using prior infection as a proxy for the third dose?

Re prior infection being a proxy for an additional dose:  it's my understanding that infection leads to a greater diversity in type of antibodies produced because they are produced to fit different places on the entire virus such as the n antibody that vaccinated people don't have.  Doesn't it make sense that previously infected people would be fighting a highly mutated virus better because they have more antibody diversity than people who only make antibodies to the spike?  Is my understanding off here?

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

Does anyone know what study the Pfizer CEO is talking about that supposedly shows three doses against omicron is similar to two doses against wild type?  Is he using prior infection as a proxy for the third dose?

Re prior infection being a proxy for an additional dose:  it's my understanding that infection leads to a greater diversity in type of antibodies produced because they are produced to fit different places on the entire virus such as the n antibody that vaccinated people don't have.  Doesn't it make sense that previously infected people would be fighting a highly mutated virus better because they have more antibody diversity than people who only make antibodies to the spike?  Is my understanding off here?

He's not using previous infection as a proxy — Pfizer tested antibodies from subjects that had either had two shots (2nd shot 3 weeks prior) or two shots plus a booster (booster 1 month prior). So their results were similar to the results from SA, which has a very high rate of infection but no boosters, where infection + 2 doses also seemed to be more protective than just two shots. 

I think that Israel will once again be the canary in the coal mine in terms of real world effectiveness once omicron starts spreading there, since they have boosted a large percentage of the population and are doing all ages.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

I've just been skimming headlines, but I think two sets of papers have come out at about the same time:

1) Pfizer booster increases neutralizing antibodies about 40 fold

2) Omicron led to a 30-40-fold reduction in neutralizing antibodies in in-vitro studies.

So in theory they cancel out.  

I think.  Again, I've just skimmed the headlines and twitter feeds Eric Topol touches on this - with links to the papers, as does Andrew Morris. <----- Super smart ID MD who is local to me (and was a supervisor of mine way back when in training - his covid email series is excellent).  This is all hot-off-the press and evolving hourly.

• Like 2

So this isn't directly vaccine, more like vaccine-adjacent, but.

My husband (may his name be blessed among the nations) and I have a morning ritual where he brings me coffee in bed and we lie around for a half hour while I inject a sufficient volume so as to be able to mobilize to an upright position, during which time he scours the news on his phone to find me a morsel of Good News.

This morning his Good News find was a (preliminary) study coming out of UPenn -- researchers collaborating between the medical school and the dental -- about a specially-configured molecule plonked in shelf-stable CHEWING GUM can... sort of ...swish around the mouth of a recently infected person and sort of... absorb the COVID molecules, sponge-like... which can thereafter be disposed of * , and thereby reduce COVID transmission rates.  (I paraphrase.)

I know, I know, it sounds beyond whackadoodle, believe me I get that. But it's University of Pennsylvania, not whackadoodle; and if its initial promise is sustained, it could be a crazy-cheap tool in the toolbox that could be deployed quickly at scale to low-income countries around the world and even, if combined with the right flavoring, chewing tobacco perhaps, might even land with the anti-vaxxer crowd here.

In the dish, on the bench, the crazy-ass idea looks to work:

A chewing gum that could reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission

A chewing gum laced with a plant-grown protein serves as a “trap” for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, reducing viral load in saliva and potentially tamping down transmission, according to a new study.

The work, led by Henry Daniell at Penn’s School of Dental Medicine and performed in collaboration with scientists at the Perelman School of Medicine and School of Veterinary Medicine, as well as at The Wistar Institute and Fraunhofer USA, could lead to a low-cost tool in the arsenal against the COVID-19 pandemic. Their study was published in the journal Molecular Therapy.

“SARS-CoV-2 replicates in the salivary glands, and we know that when someone who is infected sneezes, coughs, or speaks some of that virus can be expelled and reach others,” says Daniell. “This gum offers an opportunity to neutralize the virus in the saliva, giving us a simple way to possibly cut down on a source of disease transmission.”....

..Prior to the pandemic, Daniell had been studying the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) protein in the context of treating hypertension. His lab had grown this protein, as well as many others that may have therapeutic potential, using a patented plant-based production system. By bombarding plant material with the DNA of target proteins, they coax plant chloroplasts to take up the DNA and begin growing the proteins. The plant material, freeze-dried and ground-up, could be used as a means of delivering the protein. This system has the potential to avoid the usual obstacles to protein drug synthesis: namely, an expensive production and purification process.

Daniell’s past work on ACE2 proved fortuitous in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The receptor for ACE2 on human cells also happens to bind the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. Other research groups have shown that injections of ACE2 can reduce viral load in people with severe infections.

Meanwhile, another line of work by Daniell and Penn Dental Medicine colleague Hyun (Michel) Koo has involved research to develop a chewing gum infused with plant-grown proteins to disrupt dental plaque. Pairing his insights about ACE2 with this technology, Daniell wondered if such a gum, infused with plant-gr

own ACE2 proteins, could neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in the oral cavity.

To find out, he reached out to Ronald Collman at Penn Medicine, a virologist and pulmonary and critical care doctor whose team, since the early stages of the pandemic, had been collecting blood, nasal swabs, saliva, and other biospecimens from COVID patients for scientific research...

To test the chewing gum, the team grew ACE2 in plants, paired with another compound that enables the protein to cross mucosal barriers and facilitates binding, and incorporated the resulting plant material into cinnamon-flavored gum tablets. Incubating samples obtained from nasopharyngeal swabs from COVID-positive patients with the gum, they showed that the ACE2 present could neutralize SARS-CoV-2 viruses.

Those initial investigations were followed by others at The Wistar Institute and Penn Vet, in which viruses, less-pathogenic than SARS-CoV-2, were modified to express the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The scientists observed that the gum largely prevented the viruses or viral particles from entering cells, either by blocking the ACE2 receptor on the cells or by binding directly to the spike protein.

Finally, the team exposed saliva samples from COVID-19 patients to the ACE2 gum and found that levels of viral RNA fell so dramatically to be almost undetectable.

The research team is currently working toward obtaining permission to conduct a clinical trial to evaluate whether the approach is safe and effective when tested in people infected with SARS-CoV-2 .

“Henry’s approach of making the proteins in plants and using them orally is inexpensive, hopefully scalable; it really is clever,” Collman says.

*  (husband, long in biotech, spots a medical waste disposal problem, which is not discussed)

On 11/19/2021 at 7:01 PM, Harriet Vane said:

My 18 yo and 23 yo have booster appointments for next week. My eldest got a (asymptomatic) breakthrough case in early September and her physician advised she hold off boosting until mid-January, but she'll do it then.  They all got Pfizer/Pfizer first round and will likely get Pfizer booster since that seems (?) to be far more available here. My husband and I got Moderna/Moderna/Pfizer.  I actually *like* the mix-and-match; I feel like to the extent there are modest differences between the two it's nice to have *both* in the arsenal as new & unknown variants arise.

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

So this isn't directly vaccine, more like vaccine-adjacent, but.

My husband (may his name be blessed among the nations) and I have a morning ritual where he brings me coffee in bed and we lie around for a half hour while I inject a sufficient volume so as to be able to mobilize to an upright position, during which time he scours the news on his phone to find me a morsel of Good News.

This morning his Good News find was a (preliminary) study coming out of UPenn -- researchers collaborating between the medical school and the dental -- about a specially-configured molecule plonked in shelf-stable CHEWING GUM can... sort of ...swish around the mouth of a recently infected person and sort of... absorb the COVID molecules, sponge-like... which can thereafter be disposed of * , and thereby reduce COVID transmission rates.  (I paraphrase.)

I know, I know, it sounds beyond whackadoodle, believe me I get that. But it's University of Pennsylvania, not whackadoodle; and if its initial promise is sustained, it could be a crazy-cheap tool in the toolbox that could be deployed quickly at scale to low-income countries around the world and even, if combined with the right flavoring, chewing tobacco perhaps, might even land with the anti-vaxxer crowd here.

In the dish, on the bench, the crazy-ass idea looks to work:

*  (husband, long in biotech, spots a medical waste disposal problem, which is not discussed)

My 18 yo and 23 yo have booster appointments for next week. My eldest got a (asymptomatic) breakthrough case in early September and her physician advised she hold off boosting until mid-January, but she'll do it then.  They all got Pfizer/Pfizer first round and will likely get Pfizer booster since that seems (?) to be far more available here. My husband and I got Moderna/Moderna/Pfizer.  I actually *like* the mix-and-match; I feel like to the extent there are modest differences between the two it's nice to have *both* in the arsenal as new & unknown variants arise.

Super cool about the gum.  I skimmed while doing other things.  This is not a gum on shelves now right?

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Super cool about the gum.  I skimmed while doing other things.  This is not a gum on shelves now right?

Nah, the science is still on the BENCH, they're gearing up now to set up the first round of clinical trials in humans (which suggests, doesn't state, that they'll look to combine stages as has happened with a number of other COVID treatments). 

If I understand the science -- I'm not sure I do -- the out-of-the-box Macarthur award side of the idea is growing...  molecular mops (again: I paraphrase) for a wholly different, pre-pandemic purpose, hypertension, by growing the molecules in plants and freeze-drying them.. (!) but post-COVID somebody noted that the same molecule had COVID receptors, so they teamed up with the gum folks over at the dental school.

So I think (?) the mop molecule itself has already been trialed for safety; and the freeze-drying technology has already been established; which would suggest (?) they can request fast-track for efficacy, similar to the COVID *treatments* coming on to date.  This wouldn't be a treatment though, more a prophylactic to transmission.

The dental school used cinnamon flavor but really the possibilities seem endless.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

This is what DS23 got. He has autism and cognitive delays so I chose for him. Actually, he got Moderna originally because that's what our county had when they did the vaccine clinic for people with special needs. Then I chose Pfizer for the booster due to the lower risk of myocarditis in males under 30. I was concerned that he could have cardiac pain but would not be able to communicate that to us. 

DH, DD21, and I all had Pfizer/Pfizer/Pfizer, DH and I because we were boostered before the Moderna booster was approved (I qualify due to working in a school and DH for health reasons) and DD because that's what she chose. Hopefully, triple Pfizer will be good enough.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KSera said:

Boy, MSN consistently has headlines that I find misleading. In this case, it sounded to me like this was something different than the other study data out today, this time showing that Pfizer specifically was less effective against omicron compared to other vaccines. Which isn’t what this was about at all. Maybe it’s just me that read it that way. Rereading it, it’s technically correct, but ambiguous/misleading. That happens a lot with them.

I agree sometimes headlines are misleading. 

29 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Now come on schedulers - open it up for boosters for this age group please!  None of the local online appointments will take the appointment.

I think the CDC still needs to sign off is why (although online scheduling does tend to have a pause before getting updated for these new developments).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KSera said:

I think the CDC still needs to sign off is why (although online scheduling does tend to have a pause before getting updated for these new developments).

Oh right, I forgot that step, I hope they can get it in before the weekend.  My teen is doing a huge holiday theater production.  It is vaccine required and they do have good protocols but I am very excited to get her boosted!  She had her 2nd at the end of April so it has been a while now.

• Like 1

I am doing a Happy Dance over here over the FDA approving 3rd shots for 16/17 year olds!   PLEASE hurry up CDC!   I hope our medical center starts scheduling soon.   The best present in the world this Christmas would my high risk teen getting that 3rd shot.    

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

PSA- Wal-Mart shows available appointments for 16-17 year old boosters.

Yep, got an appointment this morning, looked good on Walgreens and CVS too but I was able to get a faster appointment for Monday for my kid through a local grocery chain.  

On the CDC site as good to go ...

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1208-16-17-booster.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

YLE posted this morning that 5 million 5-11 yos are now vaccinated with 0, yes ZERO, myocarditis cases.  I'm hopeful that this will get some of the wait-and-see parents off the fence.  It also makes me feel 99% better about a possible booster for them in the next 3 months.

And that this helps spur a booster for 12-15 year olds.   

• Like 6