Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I understand. I’m personally much more concerned about the potential for discovering long-term effects from having had Covid-19  (which we already know is something that can happen via long Covid, but we have no idea yet if there are even more long-term ramifications, as is the case for some other viruses out there). To me, there is more of a plausible mechanism for that to happen, seeing as how researchers are finding virus throughout the body and even in the brains of people even a year after they’ve had the illness, versus the vaccine, which leaves the body rather quickly. I don’t say that to freak you out, but to explain my thinking as far as why it makes more sense to me to worry about long-term risks of the virus at this point than of the vaccine. I expect my unvaccinated four year old would almost surely come through illness just fine, but I don’t like the unknowns of a new virus; to me it’s a bigger uncertainty than the vaccine.

These are great points.  And I appreciate the conversation because I need to have some better points on my list of "pros" when making a decision with my husband.  He has grown so skeptical.  My grandma had one leg shorter than the other because she had Polio as a young child.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

I would say that we know the effects of long covid. This vaccine leaves our body.  Honestly, I could die tomorrow in a car accident, let alone worried about a potential side effect that may or may not  happen in five years. 

Most people are scared and concerned whenever a new vaccine is developed. How do you think people felt about the smallpox vaccine?  They were probably thinking “What? Inject me with a live virus?” 😂

With regard to my kids, who are vaccinated, this vaccine is not changing their dna. One of my daughters still gets her period. Much to her dismay. Haha

the book titled “A shot to save the world’ by Gregory Zuckerman may calm your fears. It explains how the vaccine was developed and how it works. 

your case may be different since two of your children had lead poisoning. I don’t know. I’m not a doctor. But this is how I would explain. 

hope this helps. 

Thank you so much!  Yes, I told my husband that there have been times in our own nation's history people needed to take vaccines in a crisis situation.  Even my father had one at school.  I'm also trying to tell myself we have to get through this first before we can worry about the future.  I will check out your resource.  I decided for myself that I was more afraid of Covid than I was of the vaccine, so I'm just going to keep following the recommendations for now with boosters.  Though we do worry about the vaccine, I would feel terrible if one of my children were one of the rare kids who got gravely ill from Covid or even had a mild case but got long-haul Covid.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

COVID May Cause Long-Term Brain Loss, Study Says

Comparison of the before-and-after brain scans found “significant effects of COVID-19 in the brain with a loss of grey matter” in parts of the brain connected to smell and taste.

"All significant results were found in the primary or secondary cortical gustatory and olfactory areas, in the left hemisphere, using grey matter information (volume, thickness)," the study found.

Loss of smell and taste is one of the hallmarks of a COVID-19 infection. Research shows it can continue up to 5 months after the virus first strikes.

“The diminishment in the amount of cortical tissue happened to be in regions of the brain that are close to the places that are responsible for smell,” Gottlieb said. “What it suggests is that the smell, the loss of smell, is just an effect of a more primary process that’s underway, and that process is actually shrinking of cortical tissue.”

There is also a new Preprint out relating to this this week although I think the mechanism is different - related to nerve damage? It’s all a bit sciency for me

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.21.21268119v1

6 hours ago, KSera said:

I understand. I’m personally much more concerned about the potential for discovering long-term effects from having had Covid-19  (which we already know is something that can happen via long Covid, but we have no idea yet if there are even more long-term ramifications, as is the case for some other viruses out there). To me, there is more of a plausible mechanism for that to happen, seeing as how researchers are finding virus throughout the body and even in the brains of people even a year after they’ve had the illness, versus the vaccine, which leaves the body rather quickly. I don’t say that to freak you out, but to explain my thinking as far as why it makes more sense to me to worry about long-term risks of the virus at this point than of the vaccine. I expect my unvaccinated four year old would almost surely come through illness just fine, but I don’t like the unknowns of a new virus; to me it’s a bigger uncertainty than the vaccine.

Exactly this.

Long-term late-developing side effects from vaccines have never been a thing (to the best of my knowledge).  There is no plausible mechanism by which they should be a thing for mRNA vaccines.

Long-term late-developing viral effects are definitely a thing with multiple viruses:  chickenpox/shingles, polio/post-polio syndrome, herpes, and the list goes on. 

Edited by wathe
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Yeah. We definitely don’t know correlation vs causation, but the fact we’re still learning all this stuff is why I’m particularly cautious about the disease still. The studies showing the virus being found throughout the body, including the brain, almost a year after people had the disease gives me pause as well. I’m curious if that’s the case for any completely benign diseases. I keep meaning to look into that. All that said, I still expect chances are we would all be fine if we got it (all of the adults are vaccinated and boosted and only the too-young-to-be-vaccinated kid is not), but this is just to explain why we’re not totally unconcerned about catching it. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, wathe said:

Exactly this.

Long-term late-developing side effects from vaccines have never been a thing (to the best of my knowledge).  There is no plausible mechanism by which they should be a thing for mRNA vaccines.

Long-term late-developing viral effects are definitely a thing with multiple viruses:  chickenpox/shingles, polio/post-polio syndrome, herpes, and the list goes on. 

That is what I was thinking as well.  I honestly do not think my husband will ever come around to agreeing to vaccines for our children.  He is skeptical of everything, and I would say he sides with border-line conspiracy theorists and follows their sources.  It doesn't even seem to matter a nurse treating our own child recommended the vaccine.  It's become frustrating and my eyes are fatigued from all the rolling they do! 

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

That is what I was thinking as well.  I honestly do not think my husband will ever come around to agreeing to vaccines for our children.  He is skeptical of everything, and I would say he sides with border-line conspiracy theorists and follows their sources.  It doesn't even seem to matter a nurse treating our own child recommended the vaccine.  It's become frustrating and my eyes are fatigued from all the rolling they do! 

Not that it’s likely to make any difference, but has he said they couldn’t have vaccines before the Covid vaccine? I’ve seen a dynamic with Covid specifically where dads who never had anything to do with whether or what vaccines their kids received suddenly want to be the decision maker on this one. It sounds like maybe you’re saying he’s always like this about vaccines though, and that’s a different thing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KSera said:

Not that it’s likely to make any difference, but has he said they couldn’t have vaccines before the Covid vaccine? I’ve seen a dynamic with Covid specifically where dads who never had anything to do with whether or what vaccines their kids received suddenly want to be the decision maker on this one. It sounds like maybe you’re saying he’s always like this about vaccines though, and that’s a different thing. 

I'm seeing this pattern too.  It bothers me, quite a lot actually.

ETA - trying to puzzle out why it bothers me so much.  A whiff of patriarchy, I think.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 9

Marketing, circumstances and availability helped on this. The booster was advertised as saving Christmas, the campaign was close enough to Christmas to make that plausible, cases are rising high enough that people believe the vaccine matters and huge numbers of appointments were made available. Plus the wider recognition of Long COVID as a thing (about 1.8% of British people currently have severe enough Long COVID that they have been diagnosed as requiring specific medical treatment for it, despite less than 40% of people having had COVID in the first place and despite some diagnosticians not knowing how to diagnose Long COVID).

The UK doesn't yet have statistics for the relationship between Long COVID and vaccination (and definitely don't have any for boosters, since they've not been available long enough for post-booster Long COVID to be diagnosable yet).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KSera said:

He has always supported giving the kids all of the recommended vaccines. He's said he just needs more time to see that they are safe for children, and he worries about the heart issues.  I don't deny that there are not adverse reactions to the vaccines (even if rare), so that is in the back of my mind.  I have shown him VAERS and how the other ones we gave have adverse events reported, too.  I am just hoping he comes around.  In the meantime, at least he masks and agrees the kids shouldn't go anywhere right now due to Omicron.  

17 hours ago, wathe said:

I'm seeing this pattern too.  It bothers me, quite a lot actually.

ETA - trying to puzzle out why it bothers me so much.  A whiff of patriarchy, I think.

I think my husband just follows a handful of people on forums who link to things and post memes.  He's the first one to say, though, that he thinks these companies should make big money so that they keep doing life-saving research.  And he thinks the kids need to go for their well-checks, and one is due for his other boosters. I mumbled they'll probably tell me to vax for Covid.  I honestly was hoping to have Novavax available for our children, but I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Plus the wider recognition of Long COVID as a thing (about 1.8% of British people currently have severe enough Long COVID that they have been diagnosed as requiring specific medical treatment for it, despite less than 40% of people having had COVID in the first place and despite some diagnosticians not knowing how to diagnose Long COVID).

The UK doesn't yet have statistics for the relationship between Long COVID and vaccination (and definitely don't have any for boosters, since they've not been available long enough for post-booster Long COVID to be diagnosable yet).

I don't think long covid is getting enough attention in the US still. I've been seeing an uptick lately in doctors trying to warn what a casual attitude to omicron could mean, as they are already seeing so many people who are post-Covid, but having PE and other issues. I think because there is so much unknown about it, it's just not getting as much attention as stuff we have more hard data on.

41 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

He has always supported giving the kids all of the recommended vaccines. He's said he just needs more time to see that they are safe for children, and he worries about the heart issues.  I don't deny that there are not adverse reactions to the vaccines (even if rare), so that is in the back of my mind.  I have shown him VAERS and how the other ones we gave have adverse events reported, too.  I am just hoping he comes around.  In the meantime, at least he masks and agrees the kids shouldn't go anywhere right now due to Omicron.  

That's good at least he's cautious. So many with that attitude also don't take any precautions. Using VAERS is a bit of a risky way to try to prove anything, because none of it is verified, and it tells you nothing about whether the event was actually related to the vaccine or not (a car accident death right after the vaccine could be entered, for example). It's also missing the context of the difference in events listed for this vaccine vs others, because never before have so many vaccines been given in so short a time, plus just the desire of some people to fill the database with false reports because of their strong feelings against the vaccine.

Has he seen the ultra, ultra, ultra low rate of any heart issues from the vaccines given to 5-11 year olds so far? Last I saw, it was 8 possible events in 7 million doses given. All mild and felt better with a short time of medication and rest. The rate of hospitalization for kids with covid is much, much higher than that, and having one too young to be vaccinated myself, I'm concerned about the reports of the rate of hospitalization for kids under 5 increasing recently with omicron.

I know I'm preaching to the choir and you're unlikely to change his mind, but I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I don't know why his decision trumps yours on this, but I also know different people have different marriage dynamics.

• Like 5

@KrisTom the very small number of myocarditis cases in the 5-11 group were clustered around the second dose.  Even if your dh would just agree to the first shot, it would give your kids a little protection against severe outcomes.  Nobody is going to force you into the second shot just because you do the first.  Honestly, there probably isn't time anyway.  But if you just get him to agree to the first shot you will be at a better place three weeks from now.  Some European countries went this route for kids at first-just one shot, but I think they are all recommending two shots now.

If your kids still haven't gotten infected when the second shot is due your dh will have more info available to help him determine necessity.  I suspect he will change his mind by then, but if not, one shot is still better than none.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KrisTom said:

The calculus is risk of covid while vaxed vs risk of covid while unvaxed.  Not risk of vaccine vs nothing.

Comparing risk of myocarditis from vax to baseline is a false comparison  - especially now that Omicron is everywhere and is going to find each and every one of us.

The risk of myocarditis is higher from covid than it is from the vaccine.  That's important to factor into decision-making, I think.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, wathe said:

The calculus is risk of covid while vaxed vs risk of covid while unvaxed.  Not risk of vaccine vs nothing.

Comparing risk of myocarditis from vax to baseline is a false comparison  - especially now that Omicron is everywhere and is going to find each and every one of us.

The risk of myocarditis is higher from covid than it is from the vaccine.  That's important to factor into decision-making, I think.

Yes, this. 

If he needs to read it from another source: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm  

Where we are, at this point, is that they will end up with Covid. Vaccinated or unvaccinated — it’s up to you two (hopefully deciding together!). The risk of myocarditis is higher with Covid than the vaccine. And if they have the vaccine, their chances for a better outcome when they do contract it improve. So my calculation leans vaccine is less risky, as far as myocarditis goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Melissa Louise and other AZ people - possible good news about longer protection from serious illness compared to mRNA vaccines. Dix is the former head of the vaccine effort in the UK but wasn't involved in the development of AZ. It was given to most people over 40 in the UK, apart from the very earliest recipients. The UK is seeing lower death rates compared to continental Europe. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e2ba94aa-6697-11ec-b36e-12a90a7c0b99?shareToken=8f08bd7bddac000001ae5422d0176249

Screenshot_20211227-085534_The Times.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for your comments.  These are all points I have shared with him, and I think they are convincing ones for the vaccine.  He still believes nothing.  Often, he says he regrets his vaccines. He reads things such as Swedish microchip technology for humans and thinks this is where it is all headed. I can certainly make the decision to get the children vaccinated, but I would definitely be going against his wishes, and it would not be good for our marriage.  I can't imagine I am the only person in this situation.  In the meantime, I try to keep them safe.  But the oldest has to go to the orthodontist soon, and I am trying to schedule their well-checks.

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, KrisTom said:

Thank you all for your comments.  These are all points I have shared with him, and I think they are convincing ones for the vaccine.  He still believes nothing.  Often, he says he regrets his vaccines. He reads things such as Swedish microchip technology for humans and thinks this is where it is all headed. I can certainly make the decision to get the children vaccinated, but I would definitely be going against his wishes, and it would not be good for our marriage.  I can't imagine I am the only person in this situation.  In the meantime, I try to keep them safe.  But the oldest has to go to the orthodontist soon, and I am trying to schedule their well-checks.

I am very, very sorry you face this! These decisions are not easy. I have no advice. I will say for me the marriage buck stops at the safety buck, so if we had young children and making sure our kids got the vaccine was a deal breaker for the marriage, then so be it. I know that sounds harsh, but I personally feel that strongly about this issue. However, I can also appreciate that not everyone does. For me, it falls under a moral issue, the issue of doing everything possible to stop the death and mayhem caused by this virus, and being fiercely protective of my kids' health because kids do get long covid, and that is scary.

Best wishes as you navigate this very difficult mess! 💓

• Like 2

Looks like the end of next week for 12-15 yo boosters at least FIVE months from last dose rather than 6.  Buried in the article is also this beautiful little gem :  

..."and will also authorize boosters for kids between 5 and 11 who have immune deficiencies. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fda-to-reportedly-expand-booster-eligibility-to-those-between-12-and-15-next-week/ar-AAShJA5?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Looks like the end of next week for 12-15 yo boosters at least FIVE months from last dose rather than 6.  Buried in the article is also this beautiful little gem :  

..."and will also authorize boosters for kids between 5 and 11 who have immune deficiencies. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fda-to-reportedly-expand-booster-eligibility-to-those-between-12-and-15-next-week/ar-AAShJA5?li=BBnb7Kz

OOh! My son with the autoimmune disease would likely qualify - no one really understand it anyway so I'm sure I could book him at CVS or whatever without an issue, when he is due. And my 11 yr old will be 12 before 5 months is up. That's good news!

Now for the 4 yr old to hurry up and turn 5 so I can get her started on vaccination!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is the Pfizer booster for 12-15 year olds different dosage then the extra shot for 12-15 year olds? 

I don't think so.  The press release they did a couple weeks ago said they were trying the 10 micrograms vs 30 but I can't imagine that two weeks would be long enough to enroll and determine efficacy, so it's gotta be 30.  The data is available from Israel on 30.  I wish the option for 10 was was open though.  My bff's husband was in er two days ago (all day waiting with covid patients packed in like sardines) with heart issues after his Pfizer booster.  I know it's super rare but the recent close-to-home hit puts me on edge.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:50 AM, Faith-manor said:

I am very, very sorry you face this! These decisions are not easy. I have no advice. I will say for me the marriage buck stops at the safety buck, so if we had young children and making sure our kids got the vaccine was a deal breaker for the marriage, then so be it. I know that sounds harsh, but I personally feel that strongly about this issue. However, I can also appreciate that not everyone does. For me, it falls under a moral issue, the issue of doing everything possible to stop the death and mayhem caused by this virus, and being fiercely protective of my kids' health because kids do get long covid, and that is scary.

Best wishes as you navigate this very difficult mess! 💓

After tears, he finally gave in and told me to take them to get vaccinated. Before I do so, I made them well-checks because in the past we've caught issues during those, and it has been since pre-pandemic any of them have been.  Right now, I am not even comfortable taking them in for the vaccines because of the experience I had with a random unmasked crazy lady trying to take my booster coupon (I can't make that up! lol).  We are going to stay pretty cautious and see what happens in the short term if that is safe (I am lucky---I homeschool, don't work, and my husband is a farmer so works at home now on business matters during the winter).  We have four ICU beds left in our region.  It could be because some are out sick (not all hospitals said get vax or quit--some allow test to stay), and the community doesn't care.  I think we are just going to do a lot of staying home because of that alone.  We literally have local nurses telling the grim reality and people criticizing them/calling them liars.  😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is the Pfizer booster for 12-15 year olds different dosage then the extra shot for 12-15 year olds? 

Found this on the CDC website

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Dosage Chart (cdc.gov)

For some reason I thought Pfizer boosters were half doses.  I guess I am not remembering that correctly.  Only the kids have had Pfizer in our house, so I haven't been paying close attention.  

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Covid-19 vaccine booster eligibility: FDA expands access to 12-15-year-olds - CNN

The agency also shortened the time needed before receiving a booster shot from at least six months after completion of the initial series to at least five months, for everyone 12 and older.

Do we still needs cdc approval?  Or is this the final word?

Gritstone’s self-amplifying mRNA vaccine phase 1 results. This is a 2nd generation pancoronavirus vaccine.

https://ir.gritstonebio.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gritstone-announces-positive-clinical-results-first-cohort-phase

Gritstone Announces Positive Clinical Results from First Cohort of a Phase 1 Study (CORAL-BOOST) Evaluating a T Cell-Enhanced Self-Amplifying mRNA (samRNA) Vaccine Against COVID-19

“We are thrilled to share that our T cell-enhanced samRNA vaccine from the CORAL program is driving both robust CD8+ T cell responses to a broad array of viral epitopes and strong neutralizing antibody responses to Spike, which we believe validates the potential of our infectious disease platform,” said Andrew Allen, M.D., Ph.D., Co-Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of Gritstone. “As we have seen with the Omicron variant, viral surface proteins such as Spike are mutating at a high rate, leaving the immunity provided by Spike-dedicated vaccines vulnerable to variants containing numerous Spike mutations. We designed our COVID-19 vaccines to drive broad CD8+ T cell immunity, an additional key layer of protection against viruses. This innovation enables inclusion of a wide array of highly conserved viral epitopes, potentially creating an immune state that may offer more robust clinical protection against current and future SARS-CoV-2 variants and be a first step toward developing a pan-coronavirus vaccine.”

• Like 3

What is the current thinking about what to take for pain after the vaccine?  I had the booster yesterday, and I have serious joint pain in my neck, hips, elbows, knee, and shoulders, plus one finger.  Also severe pain at the injection site.

I thought I recalled that aspirin is not recommended for some reason, but that is what I want to take.  Tylenol is not great for me due to a touch of fatty liver.  

Any info out there?

16 hours ago, Syllieann said:

Do we still needs cdc approval?  Or is this the final word?

This is not the final word.  Cdc is expected to approve it on Wed.  However I am reading and hearing lots of people who have already gotten their 12-15 year olds boosted.  The pharmacies are saying they are going off the FDA and not waiting for approval. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

What is the current thinking about what to take for pain after the vaccine?  I had the booster yesterday, and I have serious joint pain in my neck, hips, elbows, knee, and shoulders, plus one finger.  Also severe pain at the injection site.

I thought I recalled that aspirin is not recommended for some reason, but that is what I want to take.  Tylenol is not great for me due to a touch of fatty liver.  

Any info out there?

Ibuprofen should be fine. I was told tylenol or ibuprofen, taken at least 4 hours after the injection. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

Wow. Impressed so many of you can get appointments for your kids that quick. I went online as soon as approval came through, and it's almost a month before I can get an appointment.

Yeah, turns out I screwed up.  It's NEXT thursday.  That's what I get for making appointments at 5 am without my glasses.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Wow. Impressed so many of you can get appointments for your kids that quick. I went online as soon as approval came through, and it's almost a month before I can get an appointment.

I credit the success of being able to get anything in covid protection done around me is being in an area where nobody cares.  

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Walgreens had on their website yesterday that they would begin taking appointments Thursday.  I stayed up until midnight and grabbed appointments as soon as the date rolled over.  

• Like 3