Menu

A Dog AND A Cat????

Spy Car

46 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

A well known veterinary behaviorist did give the advice that the BEST way to get good cats is to adopt a mama and her kitten. Because cats do best in pairs and that way the younger one will have mama to discipline it during the crazy kitten phase. And they will definitely get along with each other. 

Earlier in the year, we took in a stray pregnant cat and kept her and one of her kittens. Kitten must be going through her teenage years because mama has been telling her off a lot these day. I'll hear a hiss and look up quickly to see what the problem is only to find it's mom and baby. As long as it's them, I can relax and know that everything is A-OK. The only problem I can see is that there is no reciprocation going on. Mom cleans baby but baby never cleans mom. Rude. 😸

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:19 PM, Spy Car said:

Which looks more like a meal to you?

51RBqtxC37L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Abyssinian-cats__1_.png

Remember this post?

I've outsmarted myself.

Just when I thought I was out of the woods with the cat thing, it has roared back to life.

And now it is *the boy and the wife*. Tag team. Getting hammered

And the worst part? I did this to myself.

I showed them the pictures from my little joke (in quoted post above) and now they are convinced they want an Abyssinian (the "below" photograph) instead of an American Shorthair (the snack, above).

Oh yes, I did. 

And of all the cat breeds I know--which isn't all that many--Abyssinian truly does seems like best type cat for us. They seem like the "Vizslas" of the cat word.

Having a highly-active and inquisitive type cat would be a plus. The son would love to play and entertain a kitten. Best type cat to deal with our high-energy dog. 

Years ago I had a friend with a tribe of Abyssinians. They were so cool. But these people had too many and they formed a "pride" and they kept constant surveillance on the people who came in this home, with lookouts  placed strategically--and almost always up high. It was a little creepy. Good thing they are small as  you know they'd eat you if they were large enough. Like living with tiny lions. 

I never really wanted a cat, but if I had to have one I guess an Abyssinian would be the one.

Fortunately no ethical breeders sell kittens at Christmas time, but the idea of a "promissory gift" is getting floated as the "best gift ever!"

I am so screwed!

Uhgggghhhhh!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Haha 13

On 10/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, Spy Car said:

People tell me this is a bad idea.

What do I know from cats??? I'm a dog guy. Cats??? 

Mrs Spy Car seems to be suffering for pre-empty-nest syndrome. Fine when she was talking a tortoise, but a cat?

And we have a dog. A bird dog. Vizsla. Strong prey drive. Sweet as can be, but a hunter.

This is a very bad idea right? Cats and dogs??? That can't work, right.

Oh dear. Oh dear.

Bill

Growing up we had both a inside cat, a outside cat, and two dogs

28 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Eh- go adopt one from a local shelter or rescue. Ours is placing out kittens and full grown cats on a daily basis. We just brought home 2 sisters. 

This. There's plenty of variety available at most shelters. You can find a sleek, active cat to fit your household. If you went through a breeder, you'd expect to spend some time researching the breeders and then waiting for a kitten, right? Just put the same energy toward finding the right kitten(s) or cat(s) at a shelter.

Waiting until after Christmas is still a good plan, for all the usual reasons that I'm sure you're familiar with. Let the Christmas fuss die down, then bring home a kitty to enliven the January doldrums.

• Like 2

We have a diluted tortie that came to us as a stray.  She lived on the edges of our property in the country for about a month until she got the nerve to come to our door and Dh started feeding her and then the next thing I know she was living in my house. ,and he claimed he didn’t like cats.  🙄

Then a year later we take on this mutt pup who turns out to be a mostly German Shorthair Pointer and so now we have a bird dog and a cat. In the house.  As for cat boxes I highly highly recommend a pet door into the garage that only the cat can fit through and keeping litter box there.  Ours is a huge tall storage bin and it is the best litter box I have ever had.  The mess is minimal.  I scoop into a Walmart bag and toss into the trash in the garage.  

Cat and dog also go in and out of the house freely into the back yard and I do think my cat goes outside a lot.  So far she only caused me a problem when she was using a flower bed but I quickly put a stop to that.  I see her hopping the fence to the neighbors house so hopefully she isn’t ruining their flower beds.  

Dog chases and stomps on the cat a lot but she hisses and bats at the dog and sometimes runs.  Cat chases the dog sometimes. They  are quite entertaining. Cat is not afraid of the dog at all. The other day I witnessed the cat drinking out of the dog’s water bowl.  The dog was standing behind the cat almost touching cat’s tail, with head cocked in a what are you doing way. Cat was utterly unconcerned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

As for cat boxes I highly highly recommend a pet door into the garage that only the cat can fit through and keeping litter box there.  Ours is a huge tall storage bin and it is the best litter box I have ever had.  The mess is minimal.  I scoop into a Walmart bag and toss into the trash in the garage.  

I've always wanted to do this, but am afraid we'd open the garage door and have a cat run outside, and they are not outside cats. 

I have thought about converting the cabinet under the bathroom sink to a litter area - put a box in there plus supplies and cut a hole in the side. cat can go in and out the hole, and I can open the cabinet doors to scoop. 

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've always wanted to do this, but am afraid we'd open the garage door and have a cat run outside, and they are not outside cats. 

I have thought about converting the cabinet under the bathroom sink to a litter area - put a box in there plus supplies and cut a hole in the side. cat can go in and out the hole, and I can open the cabinet doors to scoop. 

I guess it could be a problem if your cats aren't outside cats.  Why aren't they?  I find cats generally always come back.  Also my cat is terrified of the sound of the  garage door opening. She always hightails it inside when it starts. 

I am in love with our rigged up huge  litter box.  I had to clean my parents normal sized one while they were at my house recovering from the accident.  Ugh.  Litter gets slung out and tracked everywhere.  

31 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I guess it could be a problem if your cats aren't outside cats.  Why aren't they?  I find cats generally always come back.  Also my cat is terrified of the sound of the  garage door opening. She always hightails it inside when it starts. 

I am in love with our rigged up huge  litter box.  I had to clean my parents normal sized one while they were at my house recovering from the accident.  Ugh.  Litter gets slung out and tracked everywhere.  

I've had one outside cat, and he got in multiple fights that required antibiotics for abcesses, and then one day he just never came home. He was only 2 yrs old 😞

As a rule outdoor cats, at least in suburbia, live many many many years shorter lives due to cars. I have seen multiple dead cats on the roads around here 😞 And working in a vet clinic saw a ton of torn up cats from racoons, dogs, other cats, etc. One of my cats was an outdoor cat before we adopted him, and the times he got out he stayed gone a long time - once he was gone for almost a month - we had given up when he finally showed up, all skinny and filthy. Our other cat came to us from outside - literally showed up on our door step - missing 1/3 of his tail. Oh, and the neighbor's dog across the street killed a cat a few months ago. Was terrible. 

So now, they are indoor cats. at some point I'd like to put up cat fencing in the back yard on top of the regular fence so they can go out there, but definitely not out the garage door which is only a few feet from the street. 

(edit - I don't judge people with outdoor cats - I get that they would prefer some outside time and certainly are less likely to become obese. It's just not a risk I am willing to take with these cats. I could see that risk analysis changing with other factors/scenarios - and that cat I had that disappeared - I still wouldn't change that h got to go outside - he was a stray and MISERABLE indoors. I do wish I'd put up cat fencing though. )

Edited by ktgrok

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've had one outside cat, and he got in multiple fights that required antibiotics for abcesses, and then one day he just never came home. He was only 2 yrs old 😞

As a rule outdoor cats, at least in suburbia, live many many many years shorter lives due to cars. I have seen multiple dead cats on the roads around here 😞 And working in a vet clinic saw a ton of torn up cats from racoons, dogs, other cats, etc. One of my cats was an outdoor cat before we adopted him, and the times he got out he stayed gone a long time - once he was gone for almost a month - we had given up when he finally showed up, all skinny and filthy. Our other cat came to us from outside - literally showed up on our door step - missing 1/3 of his tail. Oh, and the neighbor's dog across the street killed a cat a few months ago. Was terrible. 

So now, they are indoor cats. at some point I'd like to put up cat fencing in the back yard on top of the regular fence so they can go out there, but definitely not out the garage door which is only a few feet from the street. 

I see.  Thankfully she seems to be quite stealthy and has not come home beat up.  But she came to us as a stray so who knows maybe she ran away from home.  LOL  She was fixed so it never seemed logical that she was dumped but I just don't know.  She is a very loud cat and I can see some people being unable to deal with it.  We tell her 'NO!' just like you do a dog and she does one last quiet meow and then goes to her cat tower and sulks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I see.  Thankfully she seems to be quite stealthy and has not come home beat up.  But she came to us as a stray so who knows maybe she ran away from home.  LOL  She was fixed so it never seemed logical that she was dumped but I just don't know.  She is a very loud cat and I can see some people being unable to deal with it.  We tell her 'NO!' just like you do a dog and she does one last quiet meow and then goes to her cat tower and sulks.

some of it is definitely personality - boy cats in particular tend to be fighters rather than lovers when it comes to protecting their "territory".  Men..sigh!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Same, only mine was only a year and a half old. It broke my heart. 

(And he was neutered, and came when called, and was very much a homebody and people-loving cat. It was a coyote or other predator.)

Edited by MercyA

5 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Same, only mine was only a year and a half old. It broke my heart. 

(And he was neutered, and came when called, and was very much a homebody and people-loving cat. It was a coyote or other predator.)

I was just remembering that my cat came to me in the country where lots of dogs and wild animals are.  I had forgotten that before we let her come live inside she spent most  nights on the roof top.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

We have it great space, we call it a "breezeway" that links our home with a semi-attached garage that shares a common roof.

The open ends are enclosed with panels of inset aviary mesh and covered with lath, with doors/gates.

This space has a very high cathedral  ceiling. So I could make an elaborate "cat tree" that went really high (lots of unused space up above. I know that Abyssinians love getting up high.

Litter box could live there.

But a similar idea.

Bill

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

We have it great space, we call it a "breezeway" that links our home with a semi-attached garage that shares a common roof.

The open ends are enclosed with panels of inset aviary mesh and covered with lath, with doors/gates.

This space has a very high cathedral  ceiling. So I could make an elaborate "cat tree" that went really high (lots of unused space up above. I know that Abyssinians love getting up high.

But a similar idea.

Bill

Sounds like you are out of excuses.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

(edit - I don't judge people with outdoor cats - I get that they would prefer some outside time and certainly are less likely to become obese. It's just not a risk I am willing to take with these cats. I could see that risk analysis changing with other factors/scenarios - and that cat I had that disappeared - I still wouldn't change that h got to go outside - he was a stray and MISERABLE indoors. I do wish I'd put up cat fencing though. )

Right.  I thought there was the increased risk of cat diseases passed one from the other if in fight -,possibly open wounds or saliva, etc.   ????

16 hours ago, Spy Car said:

But a similar idea.

Bill

LOL!  How high?  You'll be changing out and adding litter routinely,  Also, dh used to actually empty her littermaid litter  box and perform a thorough clean/wash.

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

LOL!  How high?  You'll be changing out and adding litter routinely,  Also, dh used to actually empty her littermaid litter  box and perform a thorough clean/wash.

The litter box (in theory) would be on ground level. Not in the sky.

Abys love to be up as high as they can be, and the enclosed breezeway has a very high pitched roof, so a cat-style habitrail might be possible.

How about something like this? Only with more rope and jute.

Goldtatze1.jpg

Bill

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Starr said:

That looks really fun for a kitty. But ours would like it to be in family living space. Maybe in your kitchen. haha

Tops of fridges are prime Abys spots.

Also I have a huge rack of pots in the kitchen. I already told Mrs Spy Car how creepy it is having Abyssinians, as I demonstrated by looking down at our cutting board, and then suddenly looking up and appearing *startled* by the imaginary cat in the pot rack who could be "right here" (and I point).

They are stalkers.

Bill

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Spy Car said:

The litter box (in theory) would be on ground level. Not in the sky.

Abys love to be up as high as they can be, and the enclosed breezeway has a very high pitched roof, so a cat-style habitrail might be possible.

How about something like this? Only with more rope and jute.

Goldtatze1.jpg

Bill

LOL! Whew, I was thinking literal!  😉  That looks awesome and if your preferred breed is as active as you've mentioned,  then this would be fun and challenging for your kitty!  I cat sit for a few people.  In fact, I visited this pair Thursday and today.  The 12 year old calico "M" is normal weight and jumps all over the place.  Their Dad had to construct a small platform that rests on top of the door frame b/c she loves to jump.  If I remember I'll upload a pic for you.  The other female calico "B" is younger and overweight.  She is not as active.  All of  this to say that you hopefully will have a cat with interest and ability in their "tower" before spending time and money on it.  Bill, perhaps test out a small version of it and add on later?

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

LOL! Whew, I was thinking literal!  😉  That looks awesome and if your preferred breed is as active as you've mentioned,  then this would be fun and challenging for your kitty!  I cat sit for a few people.  In fact, I visited this pair Thursday and today.  The 12 year old calico "M" is normal weight and jumps all over the place.  Their Dad had to construct a small platform that rests on top of the door frame b/c she loves to jump.  If I remember I'll upload a pic for you.  The other female calico "B" is younger and overweight.  She is not as active.  All of  this to say that you hopefully will have a cat with interest and ability in their "tower" before spending time and money on it.  Bill, perhaps test out a small version of it and add on later?

These Abyssinians are slinky athletes. Wild-like bodies. And they positively love to climb.

They need to get up high. Weird breed peculiarity. 

Been looking at big thick strands of jute. Could potentially form climbing features with it.

Not that we're getting a cat.

Bill

Am I the only one who's finding it hilarious that Bill is all "can't have a cat. nope, sounds like a lot of work" to "well, if we must get a cat it must be the most high-maintenance and weird breed I can find, and I will build it a cat palace"....  🤣

35 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

I think Bill will get two cats. I think Bill will convert to cat person. It's already begun...

This is my prediction too!  😹

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Am I the only one who's finding it hilarious that Bill is all "can't have a cat. nope, sounds like a lot of work" to "well, if we must get a cat it must be the most high-maintenance and weird breed I can find, and I will build it a cat palace"....  🤣

This is my prediction too!  😹

I think that is the only way I can imagine Bill getting a cat.  Let’s be honest, can anyone else imagine Bill doing anything half way?

I am looking forward to recipes for home made sous vide cat food.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think that is the only way I can imagine Bill getting a cat.  Let’s be honest, can anyone else imagine Bill doing anything half way?

I am looking forward to recipes for home made sous vide cat food.

Yes, I could see it going down no other way... 😅  And yes, I also look forward to the sous vide cat food recipes, which I will enjoy and then ignore. 😁  Our cats get insanely expensive kibble, but their only 'raw food' is the critters they catch in our house (which happens more often than I like to think about...)

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, I could see it going down no other way... 😅  And yes, I also look forward to the sous vide cat food recipes, which I will enjoy and then ignore. 😁  Our cats get insanely expensive kibble, but their only 'raw food' is the critters they catch in our house (which happens more often than I like to think about...)

You know me so well.

Cats can't eat frozen food, so I was thinking of possibly making vac-sealed meals that I could freeze and then sous vide to get to body temp.

Been reading on cat nutrition. Very similar to PMR raw for dogs, plus need essential taurine for cats (that's in what I'd feed anyway). Mice would make an excellent meal.

I like feeding "family" well. It has always been a way I try to show love. And makes me happy. I can picture kitty meals in my head.

Fortunately it is all a pipe-dream. LOL.

Bill (dog person)

• Like 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

You know me so well.

Cats can't eat frozen food, so I was thinking of possibly making vac-sealed meals that I could freeze and then sous vide to get to body temp.

Been reading on cat nutrition. Very similar to PMR raw for dogs, plus need essential taurine for cats (that's in what I'd feed anyway). Mice would make an excellent meal.

I like feeding "family" well. It has always been a way I try to show love. And makes me happy. I can picture kitty meals in my head.

Fortunately it is all a pipe-dream. LOL.

Bill (dog person)

I think that once you start picturing kitty as a family member you love, it's over.  The only questions are:

1) What will you name the kitty?

2) Will the kitty be getting a kitty of its own for Christmas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, ktgrok said:

Ok, this part is easy!

Tell your vet that you are looking for a cat. Vets tend to have kittens dropped off on the regular. 

Otherwise your local shelter is fine. It isn't like with dogs, where you are looking at bloodlines, etc. My ONLY caveat, which is a huge on, is don't get an orphaned kitten. Especially if raised alone, without littermates. They learn SO much from their mom, and therefore orphaned kittens tend to always be...not quite right. At best. And aggressive at worst. (which is often, sad to say). 

More than dogs, they NEED a mama to teach them how to be a cat. Or maybe, they need it just the same as dogs, but dogs are easier to do behavior modification with later, to fix whatever problems arise. Cats...cats not so much. 

A well known veterinary behaviorist did give the advice that the BEST way to get good cats is to adopt a mama and her kitten. Because cats do best in pairs and that way the younger one will have mama to discipline it during the crazy kitten phase. And they will definitely get along with each other. 

No. If we do this, unlikely, I will find a highly-reputable breeder of Abyssinians who is willing to have a neutering agreement, and who has tested for all genetic issues in parents prior to pairing, and that all medical clearances are in place.

I think that an Aby is the once type of cat I'd want, and the wife and child are totally set on this type too. And I like to support ethical breeding.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think that once you start picturing kitty as a family member you love, it's over.  The only questions are:

1) What will you name the kitty?

2) Will the kitty be getting a kitty of its own for Christmas?

You should see some of the forms I need to fill out in advance of contacting a breeder. Like college applications, almost.

With lots of trick questions like: Are you looking for a moderate energy level lap cat? LOL. Answer yes to that question and they burn your application.

Bill

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

What do this mean Do? Do you have a cat Bill?!?!

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

WE NEED PICTURES!!!!!

Technically, have? Not quite yet. Tomorrow? Perhaps.

We met this guy virtually this evening. My wife has been stalking this cat all week online. 

I think we are adopting a cat.

Bill

mia6mqc.jpg

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3