Menu

A Dog AND A Cat????

Spy Car

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Do cats hunt lizards? We have so many lizards.

I "encourage" them and create hideaways and plantings where they'll be happy.

Chester hunts them, but they usually get away.

Bill

Many cats LOVE to hunt lizards.  Some hunt to kill; some hunt to play with/ harry them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

Depends on the cat.  Liver, tuna, turkey.  I had one who went insane for Hawaiian bread or asparagus.  She would lunge for asparagus every single time, even if there was a pound of salmon on the stove top.  Cats have different tastes.  

I'm not sure that a kitten is the best way to go for you guys, actually.  Kittens are adorable, but it's hard to tell adult personality from kitten personality.  I think a young adult who is known to be confident, trainable, intelligent, and unafraid of dogs is probably going to be your best bet.  

Asparagus? Too funny.

Are their kitten personality tests or does that work with cats?

I know just what to do with dogs to find the bold confident ones--especially important with Vizslas as they tend to suffer from anxieties if they are the "submissive" types.

Bill

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

What if I had one of those triangular "dinner bells" like one sees in old western films? And I clanged the triangle and said: "Come and get it?"

Would that work?

Bill

Doubt it. Shake food if dry - though I'm guessing a can opener would work if you use wet, lol.  They often will come when called - it's just that they're more like a kid than a dog. A kid may hear you calling, but they may well choose not to come if they're busy!  Or at least mine were that way. But they were raised with cats...

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

Many cats LOVE to hunt lizards.  Some hunt to kill; some hunt to play with/ harry them.  

I thought the lizards would be a hunting attraction.

We lose a few, but have a ton. I consider having lizards to be good luck and the sign of a healthy little ecosystem. 

In a perfect world--if we did have a cat--it would be nice to have one that could go out and enjoy the yard but stick around. 

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

Asparagus? Too funny.

Are their kitten personality tests or does that work with cats?

I know just what to do with dogs to find the bold confident ones--especially important with Vizslas as they tend to suffer from anxieties if they are the "submissive" types.

Bill

There may be kitten personality tests, but I'm not sure of any.  Our experience is that kittens are pretty stable when they choose their person/people or animal(s) that they like, but their personalities are not super stable always.  Almost all kittens are pretty outgoing and enthusiastic and playful and energetic.  Adult cats are not.  

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Doubt it. Shake food if dry - though I'm guessing a can opener would work if you use wet, lol.  They often will come when called - it's just that they're more like a kid than a dog. A kid may hear you calling, but they may well choose not to come if they're busy!  Or at least mine were that way. But they were raised with cats...

You've met my son?

Bill

• Haha 1

Re: Collars - I've never had luck with cat collars on outdoor cats, mostly because in order to be safe it has to be breakway, and theirs all, I presume... broke away.

As far as training your cat to come goes, I've always been able to do it simply by having them associate the noise (clicking my tongue) and hand signal (tapping my point and middle fingers against my thumb) with food and snuggles. My cats come pretty reliably when I do that, presuming they can hear or see me.

But... cats generally like me, so that might help.

Oh, and as for nail trimming - you can use human clippers, but if you don't turn them sideways you'll split the nail about one time out of five or ten.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Re: Collars - I've never had luck with cat collars on outdoor cats, mostly because in order to be safe it has to be breakway, and theirs all, I presume... broke away.

As far as training your cat to come goes, I've always been able to do it simply by having them associate the noise (clicking my tongue) and hand signal (tapping my point and middle fingers against my thumb) with food and snuggles. My cats come pretty reliably when I do that, presuming they can hear or see me.

Oh, and as for nail trimming - you can use human clippers, but if you don't turn them sideways you'll split the nail about one time out of five or ten.

Yeah, on the recall. Just like dogs. Give 'em a cue that means good treats. Feed and praise. That works?

How could one shape a cat to enjoy the yard but stick around? Being only indoors would be hard.

Bill

5 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

That's exactly the noise that I use.  Obama will come to both his name and tongue clicking.  

We've given up on the breakaway collars.  He clearly learned how to get out of it instantly on demand, because after a bit, we'd put one on him and he'd "lose" it the very same day.  

16 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Yeah, on the recall. Just like dogs. Give 'em a cue that means good treats. Feed and praise. That works?

How could one shape a cat to enjoy the yard but stick around? Being only indoors would be hard.

I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats.  We didn't even have a litter box.  

But our cats are all indoors now.  Lots more things eat cats nowadays (at least here in the Northeast).  When I was growing up, really not a lot was out there that ate cats.  There's been a profusion of wildlife - raptors (which were once decimated by DDT), coyotes (which were never native to this area but moved in) and fisher cats - no idea where those were, but they're in the weasel family and aggressive.  We have bears now, too, which we didn't back then - but no idea if they like to eat cats - I rather think not.  But even without predators, outdoor cats get hit by cars a lot.  No fence, real or invisible, will keep them in a yard if they want to explore.  They may come back, but they'll roam.

Our female cats would stick around, but we were dummies back then and didn't neuter the males, and if you don't neuter a male cat it will go a'roaming.  The males all disappeared after a couple of years.  Our first cat was actually a stray that we fed and just never left.

The cats we've had since I've been an adult are all indoor-only, and don't seem to miss going out at all.  They don't even try to get out the door - they look out, and look bemusedly at the dog when he goes in and out, but seem to have no interest in crossing the threshold themselves.  Most cats like familiar territory and don't like to travel or move.  I am horrified to say that they have managed to do actual hunting indoors anyway - just did dead mouse removal last night, in fact.  Indoor cats live much, much longer.  And no worries about ticks or fleas - or hunting the neighborhood birds, which really isn't good.

Edited by Matryoshka

All cats in my life have been indoor outdoor. All have known to come to kittykittykitty (though perhaps not totally reliably).

If you have cougars or coyotes in the area cats  should be inside at night.   Feed so they get used to arriving for food before dark.  (Kittens need more protection as they definitely make good coyote and cougar snacks.) 

Look up clicker training for cats on YouTube 

You might like a cat that is relatively dog like 

kitty tests similar to puppy - not be unduly fearful, accept handling, maybe chase a balled up piece of paper... you probably want neither a timid nor an over bold or aggressive kitty. 

Get it altered.

Also, choose a queen instead of a tom - the gals are more likely to stick around. An unaltered tom *will* leave, and one that was altered after puberty will probably leave.

But... there's no guarantees. Even if you get a cat who doesn't like to roam, if they have unsupervised outside time they can still get hurt or lost or killed.

If you're adopting an older cat, you can try asking for one that's already indoor-only... but then again, some adoptions won't be happy about giving you a cat if you admit you're willing to let it out in the first place.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Slowly, like a year or two? What's slowly???

And what's a "careful introduction?" 

This sounds like such a bad idea.

Bill

You will have to hold the kitty several times a day for at least 20-30 minutes while you walk around to show the dog that the kitty is valued by you. You have to carefully rub the kitty and talk to the kitty in a soothing manner which may soothe both, dog and cat.

Then another 8-10 weeks of holding kitty and talking soothingly while you are standing still and dog can see it clearly. Then you repeat the whole process with kitty in your lap, sitting down talking soothingly for 8-10 weeks and 30 minutes a day.  When dog wants to get rough, you have to take another 6-8 weeks to talk nicely to the dog explaining your reasons for getting kitty and promising extra bone marrow as a treat (you feed raw, right?). Keep in mind everything HAS to be done in either blocks of 6-8 weeks or 8-10 weeks. And it all depends on how soothingly you speak so you better practice ahead of time.

đŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒÂ Just kidding. 

Lily & Oliver 2.jpg

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

You will have to hold the kitty several times a day for at least 20-30 minutes while you walk around to show the dog that the kitty is valued by you. You have to carefully rub the kitty and talk to the kitty in a soothing manner which may soothe both, dog and cat.

Then another 8-10 weeks of holding kitty and talking soothingly while you are standing still and dog can see it clearly. Then you repeat the whole process with kitty in your lap, sitting down talking soothingly for 8-10 weeks and 30 minutes a day.  When dog wants to get rough, you have to take another 6-8 weeks to talk nicely to the dog explaining your reasons for getting kitty and promising extra bone marrow as a treat (you feed raw, right?). Keep in mind everything HAS to be done in either blocks of 6-8 weeks or 8-10 weeks. And it all depends on how soothingly you speak so you better practice ahead of time.

đŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒÂ Just kidding. 

Lily & Oliver 2.jpg

You totally had me going. LOL.

Bill

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Can one teach cats to come (recall)?

Bill

Yes, but they won't be as reliable. 

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Man, do they. I got woken up the other night by one of the cats tearing around acting crazy. I hissed at him and and a minute later it was quiet. I laid back down. As I was falling asleep again I hear "crunch, crunch....". Get up, use phone as flashlight, find kitty crunching on the body of the lizard he'd killed (the earlier ruckus I'd heard). Ick. 

In South Florida we regular checked stool samples of cats to look for a liver fluke transmitted by lizards, but my understanding was it was a regional problem. 

On 10/30/2020 at 1:26 AM, Spy Car said:

The little teeny tiny Lovebird we had would sometimes peck the dogs nose. How it wasn't eaten is beyond me.

I'd be way more worried about a bird near a dog than a cat. 

On 10/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, Selkie said:

We've always had both dogs and cats. Our current pack is 11 dogs and 6 cats, all living in harmony.  

How fun! 

22 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I second a Maine Coon. They are the dogs of the cat world.

My 20-year-old Maine Coon is the best kitty in the world. Even though she's hella work at this point, lol. 

16 hours ago, Spy Car said:

And what about this whole inside/outside thing?

We have a huge nice yard, with some semi-wild aspects and oak trees. An animal paradise in my mind. Plus generally good weather.

And doors are often open.

Can a cat be in and out a little? Or once "out" will they just roam?

Bill 

All of our cats go outside. We have no practical way of keeping them inside - no basement, open floor plan, front door and sliding glass door opened numerous times per day, and all but the two that came as kittens spent a lot of time 'on the streets' before we got them, so they know what outside is and want to be there. 

We have a typical suburban yard. All of them roam the neighborhood to some extent. Our boy goes the furthest and comes home the dirtiest, often looking like he should be smoking a cigarette (and he was fixed at an early age). While this wouldn't fly everywhere, it's common in our neighborhood - our new next door neighbor said she had never seen so many cats in her life, lol. 

15 hours ago, Spy Car said:

What if I had one of those triangular "dinner bells" like one sees in old western films? And I clanged the triangle and said: "Come and get it?"

Would that work?

If they were hungry. And if they felt like it. 

15 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm not sure that a kitten is the best way to go for you guys, actually.  Kittens are adorable, but it's hard to tell adult personality from kitten personality.  I think a young adult who is known to be confident, trainable, intelligent, and unafraid of dogs is probably going to be your best bet.  

Agreed. 

15 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Mine do. We still have lizards, although I'd say not as many as back in the days of one cat or no cats. One cat and a big backyard, you probably won't notice a difference. 

They think that cicada season comes around specifically for their amusement, but they're usually just batting at them in the air. I've never seen them kill one. 

The mama cat, who was completely wild before she decided she wanted her kittens to have a better life, once proudly presented me with a decapitated squirrel - something that has never happened before in my long history of having cats, and that thankfully has never happened again. She did continue to hunt them for a while, but eventually seemed to realize that there is an endless supply of cat food at our house. 

As far as predators, we don't have coyotes and such. The park right down the street has several owls, and we see hawks flying, but we've never heard of them going after a cat. The big granddaddy owl did once fly at me and smack me in the back, but I've never observed them going after the cats who hang out there. It certainly could happen. 

I personally wouldn't restrict a cat to being indoors 24/7; I would at least have a cat enclosure, aka catio, of a decent size. Even prisoners get to go out to the yard once a dayÂ đŸ˜„

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

Females do tend to stick closer to home. But they tend to have an idea of home that might be more like distance from food bowl and doesn’t necessarily fit property boundaries 

They are born with varying personalities but IME lots of handling and closeness as kittens affects them and their human (or canine) attachments for lifetime. 

• Like 1

Having treated many cats for injuries sustained when outdoors, and had my own indoor/outdoor cat never come home, and another return 3 full weeks after going missing, I'd install cat fencing if kitty goes outside. 

You can attach panels to the top of an existing fence, and even do it so it isn't visible from the other side. 

I'd love to do that myself at some point. My current kitties are not interested in going out, but someday...

• Like 3

On 10/30/2020 at 7:09 AM, Spy Car said:

How does one build confidence in kittens? I know nothing about cats. Dogs I know. I'm like a dog whisperer. 

Cats confuse me. Where do they eliminate? Can they go outside? Do they come back?

And the dog is in and out and in and out. We couldn't keep a cat from escaping.

Bill

Wellll...

• Like 3

On 10/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, Spy Car said:

People tell me this is a bad idea.

What do I know from cats??? I'm a dog guy. Cats??? 

Mrs Spy Car seems to be suffering for pre-empty-nest syndrome. Fine when she was talking a tortoise, but a cat?

And we have a dog. A bird dog. Vizsla. Strong prey drive. Sweet as can be, but a hunter.

This is a very bad idea right? Cats and dogs??? That can't work, right.

Oh dear. Oh dear.

Bill

Bill,

Mrs. Spy Car lol - cute.

We've always had a lab except 1 year after our 1st and 2 1/2 or so years after our 2nd before we adopted Shiloh and brought her home 8/31/19.

When dd was 9 or 10 she wanted a cat and long story short, I never considered one b/c I was allergic to them.  Until one night I took my usual walk and saw "Slick".  I patted him and didn't break out.  On the hunt I went and rescued a Ragdoll from CA (your neck of the woods).  A volunteer flew her here to NC and she was added to our family on 1/9/09 at just after 9 am when we picked her up at the airport and met the volunteer.  I kid you not.  If you ever want the whole story, pm me and I'll send.  I may have posted here, I don't remember.

So, our 2nd lab, Jordan, was maybe 6 years old at the time when dd and I brought Mocha home on that January day.  Jordan was more American lab but an alpha.  Mocha was queen cat.  

So, they were mammal sisters đŸ™‚Â  from 2009 - 2019.  In those 10 years they kept to themselves.  Jordan did not understand the feline!  She would sniff M tail and M would react a bit.  BUT, Mocha was in a high-kill shelter in CA and was bounced around AND she was about 18 months old when we brought her home, so still a playful kitty.  

Over time Mocha I think unintentionally retracted from Shiloh b/c of enduring hardships early on and Jordan took it as being shunned.  Over time when Mocha adjusted and matured, she swiped at Jordan's wagging tail as an act of affection. But, Jordan pretty much kept her distance.  Maybe she didn't know if she could trust Mocha.

They did interact but it wasn't much, if I'm remembering correctly.  The Ragdoll breed we wanted specifically b/c they act dog-like.  They are very social cats, like dogs.  

All in all it was a great experience.  They never fought. I had hoped they'd curl up together but never did.  I know canines and felines do though.  I just think it was a combination that prevented that for these 2 and that was Mocha's tough start, Queen cat, alpha dog.  But, yes, just all of that to say they did get along just fine!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

lol I know. Didn't wash hands, either!

Dd thought her partner was forgetting to flush. Then she caught her cat using the potty. Unbelieveable.  

My husband and his sister are 22 months apart.  After the cat watched the second child get potty trained, he said, "Oh.  Well.  I can do that," and potty trained himself.  

My mom's cat loved her golden retriever.  Actually, he was our neighbor's cat, but they kicked him out of their apartment, so we took him in shortly before we moved, but there was a period of a month before we could get into our new apartment, so our cats went and stayed at my mom's house.  But that cat fell in love with their dog, so my parents kept him, except the golden retriever had the audacity to die, and then the neighbor's golden who the cat visited moved away, and my parents adopted a terrier who keeps trying to kill the cat.  They've lived eight years with the dog constantly on a leash in the house or the cat locked in a bathroom.  It breaks my heart, and I've begged to take their cat.  So the dog and cat thing doesn't always work.  But it absolutely can.  

A large portion of pet families include both cats and dogs. You're a serious dog trainer, right? You can train your dog to be nice to cats, just like you train them to be nice to toddlers. Of course, if you're not confident you can train your dog to be nice to a cat, then don't get one just yet. Wait until your not-cat-safe-dog has passed away (hopefully not for a long time), then get a cat FIRST before getting a puppy. I've never heard of a puppy who couldn't be trained to be kind to cats, chickens, etc. I'm sure it could happen, but it'd be very rare (and worrisome) for a young dog to be untrainable in that area. You'll need to have some aversion at the ready -- a noise maker or a shock collar or whatever works well for you. Keeping the dog on a leash and you at the ready to train/correct . . . at all times when in the same space with the cat is probably important for the first days/weeks. 

• Like 3

Bill, I haven't read all of the replies. Are you definitely getting a cat.  They like salmon and sardines.  Make sure the salmon is baked and no salt/spices are added.  When I made salmon I'd section off a pit of the sockeye salmon for Mocha and prepare (baked) separate for her.  Sardines from the can.

Mocha knew her name like our dogs.  I'd call her and she'd come!  She was the best cat; truly we were blessed by her!  We miss her.  

Introductions:  Are you able to "wean" your dog and cat together?  May not be practical due to time or location.   Can you schedule a meet/greet?  Kitty comes to you for a visit?  That's what we do locally.  A woman and myself help a cat foster woman who places cats in to new families.  Meet/greets are important as there really is a lot that can be learned.  More than 1 would be ideal.
How old is kitty?

10 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

@Spy CarHave you and the wife made a decision on the cat yet? The masses want to know.

No. But she somehow got notifications that I was talking about her interest in a cat with  the hive, and I'm not sure if she was more pleased I was supporting her interests (:tongue:) or annoyed I've spent more time discussing it with you all than with her.

A man can't win.

Bill

• Haha 6

22 hours ago, sheryl said:

Bill, I haven't read all of the replies. Are you definitely getting a cat.  They like salmon and sardines.  Make sure the salmon is baked and no salt/spices are added.  When I made salmon I'd section off a pit of the sockeye salmon for Mocha and prepare (baked) separate for her.  Sardines from the can.

Mocha knew her name like our dogs.  I'd call her and she'd come!  She was the best cat; truly we were blessed by her!  We miss her.  

Introductions:  Are you able to "wean" your dog and cat together?  May not be practical due to time or location.   Can you schedule a meet/greet?  Kitty comes to you for a visit?  That's what we do locally.  A woman and myself help a cat foster woman who places cats in to new families.  Meet/greets are important as there really is a lot that can be learned.  More than 1 would be ideal.
How old is kitty?

Wean?

Listen, I'm not breastfeeding either the kitten or the dog.

He's like 6 and half, that would be weird.

Salmon I could do.

The kitten is mythical at this point. Or is the word hypothetical?

We are in the "look at the cute kittens" online stage, with appropriate roll-eyes from yours truly.

I may try to distract her. Maybe if I suggest procreation?

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Just remember, Bill, if you do suggest it and she's up for it but still wants a cat, you're the one who has to clean the box until the baby is born.

I was thinking either/or. Not both.

The only problem I see is that I was an Eisenhower baby :tongue:

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Wean?

Listen, I'm not breastfeeding either the kitten or the dog.

He's like 6 and half, that would be weird.

Salmon I could do.

The kitten is mythical at this point. Or is the word hypothetical?

We are in the "look at the cute kittens" online stage, with appropriate roll-eyes from yours truly.

I may try to distract her. Maybe if I suggest procreation?

Bill

Biiiiiiiilllllllllll! LOL!  I'm checking wtm one more time before I head to bed.  

Wean, in a more general sense not literal.  I'm lol as I type this.  Â đŸ™‚

So, "wean" from food is another example of "slowly" introducing a new "whatever" it is idea, food, etc.  In this case, slowly "build" the kitten/cat in to your home/family.  IF this cat is a rescue s/he'll need that.  Or, it would be best.  Mocha was abandoned once or twice.  Maria, the volunteer at the shelter, happened to be a flight attendant by profession.  She flew the cat here on her day off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   DD and I took our new addition home and she didn't surface for 3 days b/c she'd been through so much.  She only loved us (dh, dd and I) and would warm up to a few regular guests, but other than that she didn't want to interact (much) with strangers.  But, she turned out to be the best cat!!!!!!!!!!!!  

See I don't know your particulars. If you're looking on-line are you researching breeds only or considering rescuing from a shelter?  Locally?  (Remember, I found a cat, our Mocha, on-line and she lived at the time in CA.)

If you're adding a cat to your family from a breeder, rescue, or friend, I'd suggest trying to "wean" aka "ease" your canine and feline in to each other's presence.  Also, I'd suggest this for an older cat who may NOT have been socialized with dogs. A kitten would be less of an issue for the kitty but I'm suggesting this as it seems you may (if I understood correctly) be concerned with your dog.  

Forgive If I don't have this right.  I didn't reread the original post before replying.

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I was thinking either/or. Not both.

The only problem I see is that I was an Eisenhower baby :tongue:

Bill

đŸ™‚Â  I was born then too!   Tony Randall became a dad at approx 77 years of age!  And, again a year later!

Edited by sheryl

6 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Biiiiiiiilllllllllll! LOL!  I'm checking wtm one more time before I head to bed.  

Wean, in a more general sense not literal.  I'm lol as I type this.  Â đŸ™‚

So, "wean" from food is another example of "slowly" introducing a new "whatever" it is idea, food, etc.  In this case, slowly "build" the kitten/cat in to your home/family.  IF this cat is a rescue s/he'll need that.  Or, it would be best.  Mocha was abandoned once or twice.  Maria, the volunteer at the shelter, happened to be a flight attendant by profession.  She flew the cat here on her day off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   DD and I took our new addition home and she didn't surface for 3 days b/c she'd been through so much.  She only loved us (dh, dd and I) and would warm up to a few regular guests, but other than that she didn't want to interact (much) with strangers.  But, she turned out to be the best cat!!!!!!!!!!!!  

See I don't know your particulars. If you're looking on-line are you researching breeds only or considering rescuing from a shelter?  Locally?  (Remember, I found a cat, our Mocha, on-line and she lived at the time in CA.)

If you're adding a cat to your family from a breeder, rescue, or friend, I'd suggest trying to "wean" aka "ease" your canine and feline in to each other's presence.  Also, I'd suggest this for an older cat who may NOT have been socialized with dogs. A kitten would be less of an issue for the kitty but I'm suggesting this as it seems you may (if I understood correctly) be concerned with your dog.  

Forgive If I don't have this right.  I didn't reread the original post before replying.

Oh. OK.

That sounds much more reasonable. You know me...I'm an "all in" kind of guy, but nursing pets seems excessive.

Hard to believe you are another Eisenhower baby. There are a few of us. Could be worse.

Not sure where a theoretical kitten would come from. I keep getting directed to a breeder's website online. Who knows?

Am I the "rescue type?" I dunno. Not because of the animals...the four legged ones anyway.

I don't know what's going to happen.

I really don't.

Bill

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

đŸ™‚Â  I was born then too!   Tony Randall became a dad at approx 77 years of age!  And, again a year later!

Hmmm. I am significantly younger than Tony Randall was when he became a dad. Although with my ongoing Covid beard--my first ever--I finally look my age (maybe even older). I like it. Positively patriarchal. 

How did that becoming a father at 77 thing work out for Tony Randall?

Pushing this idea could provide just the right amount of deflection I need to take the focus off the cat problem.  

Bill

On 10/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, Spy Car said:

Can one teach cats to come (recall)?

Bill

Sure. Just say psss psss psss psss 

We've always been able to teach cats to come to that sound. Of course just like with a dog you have to start by giving them a reason to come to that or any other call. We do it for their dinner call but once they learn it they come to it to find out what you want. Getting them to remain with you once they come to the call? That's an entirely different story. đŸ˜„Â 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Oh. OK.

That sounds much more reasonable. You know me...I'm an "all in" kind of guy, but nursing pets seems excessive.

Hard to believe you are another Eisenhower baby. There are a few of us. Could be worse.

Not sure where a theoretical kitten would come from. I keep getting directed to a breeder's website online. Who knows?

Am I the "rescue type?" I dunno. Not because of the animals...the four legged ones anyway.

I don't know what's going to happen.

I really don't.

Bill

Ok, this part is easy!

Tell your vet that you are looking for a cat. Vets tend to have kittens dropped off on the regular. 

Otherwise your local shelter is fine. It isn't like with dogs, where you are looking at bloodlines, etc. My ONLY caveat, which is a huge on, is don't get an orphaned kitten. Especially if raised alone, without littermates. They learn SO much from their mom, and therefore orphaned kittens tend to always be...not quite right. At best. And aggressive at worst. (which is often, sad to say). 

More than dogs, they NEED a mama to teach them how to be a cat. Or maybe, they need it just the same as dogs, but dogs are easier to do behavior modification with later, to fix whatever problems arise. Cats...cats not so much. 

A well known veterinary behaviorist did give the advice that the BEST way to get good cats is to adopt a mama and her kitten. Because cats do best in pairs and that way the younger one will have mama to discipline it during the crazy kitten phase. And they will definitely get along with each other. 

• Like 6