Menu

Favorite winter coat?

lulalu

I love these threads. I bought a puffer at Costco at least seven years ago and it's still my super boring looking go-to because it's warm. These are all at Costco:

This one is really pretty, $99.

Standard but black, but really warm, $65.

Beautiful Pendleton wool coat at non-Pendleton price, $75.

Long parka, $70.

Happy shopping -- I know finding a good coat is important.

W.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use my Columbia for 20-35 F or so.  It's long enough to reach my knees. 

I have a probably 12 year old parka from Cabela's that I wear for anything colder.  Back when there was that stretch of -60's for a few days several years ago I had to go outside multiple times and I never got cold (though I did have on 3 layers on most parts of my body plus a rabbit hat from Siberia that someone gave my (Floridian) dad as a gag gift when I was in college.  I don't know if they even sell the same one but it was the one rated for the coldest temperature they offered.

DH's is from LL Bean, and he loves it.  He works in engineering and his job involves spending a fair amount of time walking outside in winter. He never complains of cold or even wears long underwear.  On the very coldest days he does layer a wool sweater over a long sleeve button down.

I've heard great things about the Patagonia parkas too, but I haven't had the need for one.  I might see if I could find one on clearance or check their section of returns/used gear if I was in the market for another parka.

• Like 1

I've gotten great deals at Lands End too.  A few years ago, I splurged and bought one at Lole.  (https://www.lolelife.com/women)  We have super cold winters here and their coats are cozy warm.  It'll last me for years.  But, they're pricy --  I waited until the end of the season when they were having sales.  (Also, they run small -- I ordered a size up.)

Sierra Trading Post is a site that often sells last season's winter gear for a much better price.  (Actually, I think they've changed their name to just Sierra.com.)  

• Like 1

I have a Land's End down coat and and it is the best thing ever for a Southern girl who bought it for Chicago and Boston winters.  I've rubbed holes in the sleeve from the velcro fasteners on the left arm.  But I won't get rid of it because otherwise it's in good shape.

Does anyone hate the new puffer coats' shapes?  I hate the vertical lines all over the torso and arms.  I don't want to feel like a Michelin Man!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Columbia has really changed.  The last jacket I bought from them had so much less insulation in the arms than the body that my upper arms were ALWAYS cold.  So annoying.

I use Columbia parkas for fall and their vests for winter layering. The vests were from the Columbia outlet stores (mainly Livermore) and quite warm. The parkas were from REI, Nordstrom Rack and other stores. 

41 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Does anyone hate the new puffer coats' shapes?  I hate the vertical lines all over the torso and arms.  I don't want to feel like a Michelin Man!

Mine are usually either chevron style (V shaped lines) or no lines. I don't like horizontal lines, makes me look even shorter and I am already very short. 

I find my North Face Tremaya parka very warm but the coldest place I had a vacation in was at around 32 deg F. 

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-tremaya-parka

• Like 2

I have a Lands End down coat also.  It worked well for MN winters.  If I had stayed living up there, I would have invested in one that covered down to mid thigh, but we moved to a place where I can use what I called my MN fall coat.  When we moved , I got rid of what I called “my huge honkin’ Minnesota coat”.  

• Like 1

I have a North Face parka that I bought at their factory outlet store almost 17 years ago and it has held up well and I love it because it is very comfortable. I bought it without researching because they usually carry jackets that work for the climate in my area.

OP, you need to research what Down Fill Power and Down Weight numbers you need for subzero temperatures because it affects how warm your jacket will be. Even if you narrow down a brand that you like (e.g. Columbia) you need to decide what the Down Fill Power of the jacket will be before you purchase it and that number, which is listed for each jacket will vary with how warm a jacket is.

Here is an article that explains what these numbers mean: https://triplefatgoose.com/blogs/down-time/a-guide-to-down-jacket-warmth-down-fill-power-vs-down-weight

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lulalu said:

Yes, I am planning on spending a lot so that it will last. 

While winter down coats are back in season and on store racks, there seems to be an oversupply here (SF Bay Area) as stores were closed during March/April which is when stores typically had their post winter sales. 

You might be able to get last year's models on sale/clearance.

• Like 1

Another vote for Canada Goose.  But do your research, since they became a fashion thing, some of them are more for looks and less for warmth.  But they do still have very very warm ones.  I am pretty frugal but I live in a very harsh climate and spend a great deal of time outdoors in sub-zero with high winds, often standing in one place for hours at a time.  I still get cold as no coat is magic but I am much more comfortable than with past coats.  I also have their mittens.  Worth every penny.

• Like 1

It depends on what you'll be doing outdoors. Are you active or standing around? If active, how intense. If standing around, for how long. What's the humidity and wind like in your winters, 

For me, one winter coat will not do everything I need. I have my 'super warm standing at the bus stop' winter coat, and I have several other jackets and layers for when I'm active. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

It depends on what you'll be doing outdoors. Are you active or standing around? If active, how intense. If standing around, for how long. What's the humidity and wind like in your winters, 

For me, one winter coat will not do everything I need. I have my 'super warm standing at the bus stop' winter coat, and I have several other jackets and layers for when I'm active. 

I am moving where it will be subzero for most of winter. I will be taking public transportation so a lot of standing and waiting and walking. 

I do have a nice one for skiing already. 

41 minutes ago, lulalu said:

I am moving where it will be subzero for most of winter. I will be taking public transportation so a lot of standing and waiting and walking. 

I do have a nice one for skiing already. 

If you can get access to winter coats to try on, that is always nice. You want to feel the bulk and weight of the coat, the room you have to move your arms and legs, the feel and fit of the hood (which is a really nice feature). It's really easy to feel confined and weighted down in a big, heavy coat. Add heavy boots to the ensemble and it's pretty miserable, in addition to the cold and wind. 

I picked up a really nice 3/4 length, hooded coat at Costco. It's a designer name I wouldn't have expected to be as warm and comfortable as it is. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes. I do too. The long coat I mentioned before is my over light office clothes coat. It's too long to walk briskly in. For that I  wear layers or my LE squall jacket.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Arctic Bunny said:

Silly question.... subzero F or C? And what are the wind and humidity like?

F and windy. Although I visited our new place in summer so I don't really know what it feels like in the cold of winter. We move first week of January. 

5 hours ago, lulalu said:

F and windy. Although I visited our new place in summer so I don't really know what it feels like in the cold of winter. We move first week of January. 

Sounds like an adventure!!

My LL Bean parka served me well in the arctic. I’m also a fan of the outer shell of snow pants to break the wind. And warm boots and mitts.

• Like 1

This probably isn’t quite warm enough for what you’re needing, but I thought I’d throw it out there in case others are reading and shopping in this thread too. I bought this when we moved to a much colder climate a couple of years ago. It has lasted for 2 long winters and still looks great. Weather here is quite windy with wind chills below the actual temp and I stay warm in this while walking my dogs, playing in the snow, etc. It’s not so heavy that I feel weighed down, but I’m always warm wherever this coat covers. Our temps usually don’t get much lower than teens here. 

• Like 1

I am the one who recommended Canada Goose, which I still do.  But I will agree with others that in climates like yours, you are likely going to need an arsenal of jackets if you are going to be outdoors a lot.  I've have my CG for 5 years and there is no reason to think it will not last for many many more.  I only wear it for times when I will be outside in the most extreme of conditions.  I have different jackets for running errands by car, exercising/working outdoors, different temps/conditions.  Layering is the best bet.  I have two good puff jackets that can be worn alone or under other outer layers.  I have two down vests for the same purpose.  I have a good rain shell, a simple car coat, and various active jackets.  I have worn a vest, then a puff jacket, and then my Canada Goose on top.  It is all ridiculous.  But some of those pieces are 20+ years old....I have just acquired new pieces over the years for more versatility.  I could get by just fine with a single vest, a puff jacket, a rain shell, and a decent parka.....then mix/match/layer for each outing as needed.  So if I were starting from scratch, those are the pieces I would be looking for first.

A good puff jacket should pack down small enough to stuff in a purse.  Same for a rain shell.  I will often stash one or both in my purse when I'm not sure what the day will bring.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I am the one who recommended Canada Goose, which I still do.  But I will agree with others that in climates like yours, you are likely going to need an arsenal of jackets if you are going to be outdoors a lot.  I've have my CG for 5 years and there is no reason to think it will not last for many many more.  I only wear it for times when I will be outside in the most extreme of conditions.  I have different jackets for running errands by car, exercising/working outdoors, different temps/conditions.  Layering is the best bet.  I have two good puff jackets that can be worn alone or under other outer layers.  I have two down vests for the same purpose.  I have a good rain shell, a simple car coat, and various active jackets.  I have worn a vest, then a puff jacket, and then my Canada Goose on top.  It is all ridiculous.  But some of those pieces are 20+ years old....I have just acquired new pieces over the years for more versatility.  I could get by just fine with a single vest, a puff jacket, a rain shell, and a decent parka.....then mix/match/layer for each outing as needed.  So if I were starting from scratch, those are the pieces I would be looking for first.

A good puff jacket should pack down small enough to stuff in a purse.  Same for a rain shell.  I will often stash one or both in my purse when I'm not sure what the day will bring.

So, so true!! The saying, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing," means that you have to have a lot of different options available if you need to be outside in all kinds of conditions. And over the years the products have changed a lot. Sometimes a 20+ year old item is amazing and will just keep going. Other times you're lucky if an item lasts one season; either it's not a good fit for the conditions or your body, etc. 

I'd say that in general, don't spend $$$ when you really don't know what kind of winter conditions you'll be dealing with. 

• Like 1