Menu

Did I read that right? Harvard announced all online instruction for 2020-2021?

Hyacinth

No that is not correct.  All freshman allowed, and all other students to petition to come based on hands-on coursework or family situations.  MIT is to announce tomorrow.  

Harvard Newpaper link:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/7/6/harvard-college-coronavirus-fall-plans/?fbclid=IwAR2Mh-OTLqeXMuKjKp_ZIYKq0zwtosl7KdF9U_SdtJnZbGvHU4ae0fFP8eg

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3

My dc’s uni is preparing to be on campus from late August to Thanksgiving and then return in February for spring semester. Most classes will be online but some small ones will be in person. Youngest at the moment will only have their three hour studio art class in person and all others online. We’re not sure about oldest. All dorms are singles and all dining halls are take out only. Masks are mandatory everywhere except dorm rooms. I’m hoping it works out but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

Both of my boys colleges/universities are having some version of hybrid offerings, with all classes having at minimum an online option. Only some classes will have an in person option at all, and those will mostly all have a hybrid version where each student attends once/week in person (so, MWF classes split into thirds, with each student assigned one day; TTH classes split in half, with same) and online the other times. They may opt to attend online all the time if they want.  

One son is going to take a semester off (for reasons only partially related to Covid), one is going to live at home vs. on campus and attend remotely only (he was already registered, and then they changed the format of his classes, and only one even retained an in-person/hybrid option at all). 

One is mandating masks; one has said no, but then I think reversed course and said yes. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the on campus stuff since they aren't planning to be there. 

• Like 1

Princeton announced today too. Freshmen/juniors on campus in fall, sophs/seniors in spring. Mostly online instruction with 10% discount in tuition. Single sleeping spaces. Mask use/regular testing. Everyone leaves campus just before Thanksgiving until spring semester.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

No that is not correct.  All freshman allowed, and all other students to petition to come based on hands-on coursework or family situations.  MIT is to announce tomorrow.  

Harvard Newpaper link:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/7/6/harvard-college-coronavirus-fall-plans/?fbclid=IwAR2Mh-OTLqeXMuKjKp_ZIYKq0zwtosl7KdF9U_SdtJnZbGvHU4ae0fFP8eg

That article says that all classes will be virtual.

In addition to freshmen, Harvard will host as many students who “must be on campus to progress academically” this fall as it can without exceeding the 40 percent threshold. All courses will be taught virtually for students both on and off campus.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I would be ticked to pay the same tuition as in person classes when most places offer online classes cheaper.  

I don't think that "most" is accurate. I generally see the exact same pricing, and some online courses actually have a surcharge. 

The current plan for dd's uni is to start with in-person classes and switch to remote at Thanksgiving (because so many will travel). I'm really hoping they get at least half a semester in! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, katilac said:

I don't think that "most" is accurate. I generally see the exact same pricing, and some online courses actually have a surcharge. 

I've never seen an online college class that's been priced cheaper than the IRL ones.  Sadly.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That article says that all classes will be virtual.

I was looking at this part of the article:

"The last cohort permitted to petition comprises seniors whose theses require laboratories, “practice based” work that cannot be done virtually"

I definitely saw only what I wanted to see!  😞  So nervous about tomorrow when we hear. 

• Like 2

Whilst I'm sure that Harvard has the reserves to cover this, remember that other universities will be losing revenue from halls of residence. Certainly in the UK, universities have taken out loans in recent years to upgrade dorms, because students' expectations are higher. Those debts still have to be serviced and the buildings maintained, even if no students are in residence. It was entirely reasonable for the universities to assume a regular income stream, which has now failed.

Discounts on fees would be more than some universities could bear.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our local university is announcing that 60% of classes will be online and 40% will be on campus. They are buying out or laying off large numbers of employees and faculty. After Thanksgiving, all classes will go remote to prevent traveling students from bringing Covid back from other places.

DS is supposed to be taking dual enrollment courses which may not work for us unless we buy another computer.

• Like 1

Our daughter's college is breaking  the fall semester into two mini-semesters. They’ll begin in early August and have 2-3 classes for something like 7 weeks of 4 days/week, in person for now, followed by a week for study/finals. Then the remaining 2-3 classes students had registered for - same routine. Finished by Thanksgiving. 
I imagine that their reasoning that if the semester gets cut short, at least the students will have a few credits finished. But they could just switch to online – so, I’m not sure what they’re thinking.  
Two students per room & takeout food only. Our DD is the rare commuter there - not thrilled with the change to her schedule (hasn’t received details) that she had set around her internship  & her farm-based business.  She’s rolling with it, though. 
Of all the societal changes that have happened due to Covid, it’s the college changes that are the most unreal to me. I really just can’t believe this is happening. 

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

In South Africa, the academic year starts in February and ends in November.  This year, the students were all sent home mid-March for lockdown and the lecturers scrambled to switch everything online. 

At the beginning of June about a 3rd of the students were allowed back on campus - those in health sciences who have practical in hospitals, and those who need labs.   Dorm occupation is also not above 30%.  Some people were moved around to other dorms to achieve this.

The 2nd semester has been delayed to start in August and the year will run to just before Christmas.   All lectures for the remainder of the year wil be online.  Fees remain the same. 

The universities have done a lot to provide free data to students who would normally have access to wifi on campus, but not at home.  They also provided laptop loans to those who didn't have them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

There are no bathrooms in the rooms in her dorm, only down the hall.  They will have to register online for a time to use it  

Edited by Hyacinth
Trying to comment. But I’m speechless so it’s just as well that the system won’t let me.
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

It just sucks all the way around.  Colleges cannot be online and forgo the money from dorms and meal plans.  That pays for a lot of their costs. On the other hand, I don't blame parents or students for not wanting to pay the money to go and then do online classes.  

My daughter's university is set up for 4 phases.  Right now they are in phase 1 hoping to be phase 3 by the time it opens.  Cafeteria is take out only until phase 3.  Classes are a mixture.  Looks like all of my daughter's classes are meeting in person for now.  They have a nurse who has a PHD in public health overseeing everything. Masks are mandatory.  They have an app to put on their phone and they fill out a health questionnaire every day.  They have a dorm set aside for quarantine. They gave us the choice for a single room, but my daughter wanted a roommate.  Sounds like they will be a good fit.  There are no bathrooms in the rooms in her dorm, only down the hall.  They will have to register online for a time to use it.  They are having a parent webinar next week with the nurse to answer questions. It is a small school with only 1600 students.  

That's absolutely terrible.  You have to make an appointment to use the bathroom?  

There are several threads on the college sub-forum about our kids' colleges and what's happening in the fall.  I have a long thread where I whine about our college (which now I'm thankful after reading your post!).  Lol.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Whilst I'm sure that Harvard has the reserves to cover this, remember that other universities will be losing revenue from halls of residence. Certainly in the UK, universities have taken out loans in recent years to upgrade dorms, because students' expectations are higher. Those debts still have to be serviced and the buildings maintained, even if no students are in residence. It was entirely reasonable for the universities to assume a regular income stream, which has now failed.

Discounts on fees would be more than some universities could bear.

Exactly. Operating budgets at universities are astronomically higher than they would normally be this year. Millions of dollars are being put into retrofitting buildings to make sure the air quality is safe(r), a huge amount of money is being spent learning how to optimize online classes. Schools are taking a big hit on room and board - many schools will house students in singles and some schools may even be renting space to do this. Testing every few days, a dedicated quarantine unit... It’s busting budgets. 

Many universities also rely on the tuition of full-pay foreign students to help defray tuition costs of financially needy students. Trump is now talking about not allowing foreign students if classes are not in-person, so this throws another firebomb into operating budgets (in addition to being asinine, but that is beside the point).

Professors, administrators, and staff are already being furloughed and/or accepting reductions in benefits at a time when they are having to do twice as much work. Everyone is taking a hit.

The bottom line is, if you want your preferred university to be there in a few years, you’ll just have to deal with the reality that this is the way it has to be. It’s entirely possible that a number of schools that aren’t well-endowed will not survive this anyway.

Most universities already offer discounts to a sizeable number of students. Harvard is tuition-free to students whose families make below $65,000 per year and 0-10% of the income of families making between $65,000 and $150,000. Students can still qualify for FA even if their families are in a higher income bracket. And if you’re in the 1% and want a discount because you don’t like the pandemic format, sorry, but cry me a river. This is what life is like for the hoi polloi all the time. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I would guess most colleges will do this. Professors do not want to be in a classroom right now.

No. It’s difficult because most feel that students learn better in the classroom, but neither do they want to risk their health. 

Some universities are requiring that any prof younger than 65 teach in person. I know someone who has declared they will take an unpaid leave rather than teach, but not everyone has that luxury. 

The US has bungled this from day one. It’s a profound embarrassment and shame.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

To shower.  They have restrooms to use in the dorm, but the community shower you will have to have an appointment if they are still on phase 1 or 2.  For phase 3, you don't congregate, but no reservations needed.  They hope to be in phase 3 when they open.

That's good. I was wondering if "suitcase toilet" was going to be on the official packing list for freshmen this year!

• Like 1

My DH's school (Northeastern) is moving ahead with its NUFlex plan (simultaneous hybrid/in-person/online classes with some of the students back on campus).  He's been fielding calls from  fellow faculty talking about how few want to go back in to teach in person, calls from his many foreign undergrad and grad students as to whether they'll even be able to come back (NEU has gotten their hybrid programs certified as in person classes so they should have no problems), as well as his risk assessment of what is smartest for him (his main need is the gym WITH a locker room on a daily basis; if it isn't possible (safely) he thinks he would rather teach synchronous classes from home or at most go in to teach from his office (not in a classroom) and come home for the bulk of the day).  I'm already doing the work to outfit him with a small office alcove in our bedroom by the end of the summer.  we don't really have the space and we had hoped the current situation would be short term but we are really over him using my laundry drying rack as his standing desk!  If this is the plan I have to flesh out our home gym as well (I did a great job getting it to where it is now because of the Hive, but he wants another cardio machine and some more free weights).

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I would be ticked to pay the same tuition as in person classes when most places offer online classes cheaper.  

At my university, online students usually pay higher tuition than in-person students.  There are significant overhead costs to providing online education.  The technology is expensive and there are additional accreditation hoops that must be jumped through.  Donors will pay to get their name put on a building or a classroom; this funds help pay the overhead for in person instruction.  Donors generally won't give money to put their name on a computer for online instruction and help cover overhead.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

To shower.  They have restrooms to use in the dorm, but the community shower you will have to have an appointment if they are still on phase 1 or 2.  For phase 3, you don't congregate, but no reservations needed.  They hope to be in phase 3 when they open.

Oh, whew!  My teenagers would be in trouble!  Lol.

My daughter's school is doing online, hybrid, and on the ground classes until Thanksgiving and then they go all online. My dd is a double major in Exercise Science and Dance. Her ballet class and Dance Kinesiology class need to be in the classroom. All of her other classes will be fine online, except her Chem lab.

The dining services will all be grab and go with some delivery. My dd is in a apartment on campus so she'll be making her own food.

She might stay on campus for Thanksgiving break, especially if one of her apartment-mates stays also. Our house isn't set up to have her home. It is possible, but she shares a room with her sister who is a sophomore in HS. 

Kelly

• Like 1

My community college is doing all online other than select lab and clinical classes. They are putting out a massive paid training program to train all the faculty in online education. Do it now, and you get paid. It is mandatory, and you won't get paid if you do it in the fall (LOL). I've always taught online for that school and have state certification to teach online at the community college level, but it's easy money for me, so I start the program Friday. 

Then I was in line at the grocery store, and the lady in front was talking to the check-out guy about her daughter whose college (TENS of thousands in tuition she said loudly) just announced that they are doing all online. She had her daughter apply and register for classes at my community college because there are transfer agreements and said Mom is going to save money for the daughter's tuition later on rather than paying that much for general degree requirements. Her daughter (a freshman) took a deferral from the original college, which may or may not be OK. Some colleges don't like that. Anyway, not my business.