Menu

Our shelter in place just got extended through May 30 and people are DONE

@sassenach San Ramon

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/san-ramon-valley-board-of-education-approves-administrator-raises-amid-huge-budget-cuts/

“SAN RAMON (KPIX 5) — The San Ramon Valley Unified School District Board of Education on Tuesday night voted to give the district superintendent and other top administrators a raise, even as the district looks to make roughly $8 million in cuts.

According to the school district officials, this is something they have done routinely in the past, applying the same salary increase negotiated for the teachers to top administrators. However, parents argue this is not just another regular school year amid budget shortfalls exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic..

“Our district is saying OK, face cutbacks for teachers, more kids in classrooms and fewer teachers on our campuses, but we’re going to give a golden parachute to our outgoing administrators?” asked parent Nancy Datz. “It makes absolutely no sense to me.”

School board members for the San Ramon Valley Unified School District said they received roughly 300 emails from parents sharing their concerns about the salary increases. But the board voted unanimously to give the superintendent and other top administrators a 2.56 percent raise.

“When people are losing their jobs, people are furloughed, kids aren’t in school. The economy is going to pot, and we’re voting on getting a raise tonight?” asked parent Andrea Vomund.

Board members in the Zoom meeting Tuesday night argued that administrators deserve the raises just as much as teachers.

“In the effort of fairness, it’s fair to apply the increases to all employees,” said board member Rachel Hurd.

But many parents are saying in this case, no way, especially not when the district’s superintendent is now scheduled to make more than $350,000, one of the highest salaries for a superintendent in the Bay Area.

“The feedback I got from district administrators was, ‘We feel like we need to pay our people to live here.’ That’s fine, but we’re not Chevron. They’re public employees,” said Datz.

The salary increase will be retroactive to July 1st, 2019. The current superintendent Rick Schmitt has announced his retirement for next month.”

• Confused 5
  • Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand getting tired of staying home, but I don’t get being SOOO tired that it’s worth the risk not to. What I’m trying to avoid by staying home is checking a loved one into a hospital to die al

Our order was recently extended to May 16th (at the earliest), but the pattern has been to add time in two week increments, so I predict it will soon be extended to May 30th (or at least through Memor

re how closely the virus has come to the house I expect that does make all the difference.  I'm in a hot spot. I'd have more than $1000 myself, and I know several people for whom that number wo

Posted Images

FYI, posted on Facebook 

“Cooling Centers available in Santa Clara County Today and Thursday - San Jose, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, Saratoga and Campbell

🔹 GILROY, SARATOGA, MORGAN HILL - today, May 27 from 1:00pm-6:00pm and Thursday, May 28 from 1:00pm-6:00pm.
• Saratoga Library, 13650 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga
• Gilroy Library, 350 West 6th St., Gilroy
• Morgan Hill Library, 660 West Main Ave., Morgan Hill

Please note: Limited space. Public Health social distancing guidelines and library policies will be enforced:
• Please do not enter if you have COVID-19 symptoms including: fever, cough, diarrhea, headache, muscle aches, shortness of breath, unexplained loss of taste or smell
• Face covering is required (exception of children 6 years and under or if medically inadvisable)
• Maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet from others at all times
• Library behavior policies will be enforced

🔹 SAN JOSE - Five San Jose cooling centers - today, May 27 from 1:00pm-9:00 pm, and Thursday from 1:00pm-7:00 pm:
• Mayfair Community Center, 2039 Kammerer Ave. San Jose
• Camden Community Center, 3369 Union Ave. San Jose
• Seven Trees Community Center, 3590 Cas Dr. San Jose
• Roosevelt Community Center, 901 E. Santa Clara St. San Jose
• Cypress Community Center, 403 Cypress Ave. San Jose
Please note: Due to current County Health Orders, capacity will be limited, face masks will be required and physical distance guidelines will be enforced. To learn more, please visit http://ow.ly/uj7e50zRLyD

🔹 CAMPBELL -The Campbell Community Center located at 1 W. Campbell Avenue, Campbell, will open a cooling center for the public to use during these days and times:
• Wednesday, May 27- 1:30pm-8:00pm, Q80 (Roosevelt Redwood Room)
• Thursday, May 28 - 1:30pm-8:00pm, Q80 (Roosevelt Redwood Room)
Please note: Attendees will need to self screen for COVID-19, and wear a mask at all times. Tables and chairs are set a minimum of 6 ft. apart.

For information about heat safety, please visit http://ow.ly/tv4x50zRLyE
#beattheheat”

@sassenach@mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/alameda-county-becomes-covid-19-hotspot/2298187/

“A map showing the cases by county for each week in May shows there has been a surge in Alameda County, surpassing Santa Clara County and becoming the hotspot in the Bay Area.

Parts of Oakland and Hayward have reported the most cases.

“So you have one group saying let’s get back into the building and my response is ‘let’s just get tested,’” said Nick Clark Jr., who is a Bishop at his father’s church. “So, I think there is a fear.”

Hayward City Councilman Mark Salinas believes that fear is in the communities he represents.

Coronavirus testing started in Hayward reaching a milestone Wednesday. Ten thousand people now know if they have it or not. “How are we going to beat this?” said Salinas. “It’s testing and sheltering in place. It’s really a matter of life and death.””

ETA:

you can see trends here by county if you scroll down https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

From tomorrow, Scotland will have its first relaxation of rules.  It's pretty gradual, which is fine by me.  I'm looking foward to travelling five miles to Nordic Walk on the beach at low tide, when there's tons of space.  We are inviting a friend over for distanced drinks on Saturday in the garden:

image.png.2e1a8bbe1d5fe25f92c1c06c80aa8134.png

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@sassenach@mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/alameda-county-becomes-covid-19-hotspot/2298187/

“A map showing the cases by county for each week in May shows there has been a surge in Alameda County, surpassing Santa Clara County and becoming the hotspot in the Bay Area.

Parts of Oakland and Hayward have reported the most cases.

“So you have one group saying let’s get back into the building and my response is ‘let’s just get tested,’” said Nick Clark Jr., who is a Bishop at his father’s church. “So, I think there is a fear.”

Hayward City Councilman Mark Salinas believes that fear is in the communities he represents.

Coronavirus testing started in Hayward reaching a milestone Wednesday. Ten thousand people now know if they have it or not. “How are we going to beat this?” said Salinas. “It’s testing and sheltering in place. It’s really a matter of life and death.””

ETA:

you can see trends here by county if you scroll down https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Our county Nextdoor has been flipping out because we’ve had an increase in cases but we’ve also had a major increase in testing. People have to stop losing their crap when testing increases (especially when they test whole neighborhoods) find pockets of cases. Hospitalizations are still at 2 or 3. 

• Like 3