Menu

Our shelter in place just got extended through May 30 and people are DONE

sassenach

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

As someone who has looked at these salary gaps pretty extensively over the last five years in one niche of the tech sector (and have had to make two cross-country moves as a result of these gaps) I don't think this is as rosy of a picture as the reality.

And, on the flip side, look at what has happened to Austin, TX.  Austin's housing prices in 2005 were very appealing.  By 2010, they had shot up pretty astronomically.  In 2015, housing prices were approaching west coast ones in Austin itself, less so in the suburbs.  Now.....some of those prices are just as high as coast prices. Lots of the tech firms have moved jobs there where they are paying Texas salaries.  People cashed out of their west coast houses and drove up the market because they had cash on hand to outbid each other. Some tech firms have started to run shuttle buses from San Antonio to Austin because housing is so much cheaper in San Antonio, San Marcos, etc.

But those employees, who moved to Austin to work at tech firms that also moved to Austin, are working in the office, right? If people can work from home, they don't need to live in the same city as the company. They can live in cheaper parts of Texas — or anywhere else — without the need for shuttle busses or long commutes.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, wathe said:

Extrapolating:  Bystander CPR may become no longer a thing.  First aid courses are going to have to change their content - full PPE in the AED cabinet? And training time on how to use it.

Given the low success rate to hospital discharge of bystander cpr, we in-company first aiders have been advised by our occupational health department not to attempt it.

https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13054-020-2773-2

The presumption you are making is that those jobs are staying stateside: many won’t. 

Beyond that, IME, since tech firms are already prone to reorganizations and the average tech worker stays in their current <5 years (whether they are climbing the ladder or their company is reorganizing laterally or the employee is jumping in and out of working for a larger company), most of those employees will want to stay tied to a city that has other tech jobs available. They may choose to buy a house out in the ‘burbs of a metro area, but they aren’t going rural. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Given the low success rate to hospital discharge of bystander cpr, we in-company first aiders have been advised by our occupational health department not to attempt it.

https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13054-020-2773-2

Laura, is this COVID crisis advice?  Or advice pre-COVID?  Because survival to hospital discharge with bystander CPR rate of 11% (as per quoted article) is, well, I agree it's low, but it's definitely not futile, and in a pre-pandemic environment, these odds are worth the effort, I should think.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd K Market Sunnyvale. Easy to social distance in store. Prices comparable to other Korean supermarkets 

Look at what the packaging on the blue earloop mask says 😂

CD6D4E33-36D1-472F-80EC-39BC069B41D3.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out next time I go to El Camino area. Maybe the blue ear loop surgical mask is a realistic pastry made by a talented baker from K-Bakery to signify COVID times 😉

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, square_25 said:

Ooooooh this is sounding worse and worse :-(. The meat processing plants are a real problem, as we've seen, because of the cold air and the packed spaces. Nine ICU beds will not do if everyone gets sick :-/. 

I expect a lot of patients would get turfed to hospitals in San Antonio or Austin.  Probably SA, because it's a bit closer. 

@Dreamergal Regarding complacency due to low cases, people here seem to think that because our cases are not high now, they can never possibly be high. They don't seem to grasp that people can leave our town and county and go to another town/county, get sick there, and then bring it back here.  They say things like "The heat will kill the virus".  If it's on a surface, yes, probably it will die in the Texas summer heat. I am not worried about picking up the virus from a picnic table at the park or a gas pump handle this summer. 😉 

But the heat isn't in one's lungs, and the heat isn't going to help one little bit if you are sitting in a packed, air conditioned restaurant or movie theater, breathing in everyone else's exhaled breaths.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wathe said:

Laura, is this COVID crisis advice?  Or advice pre-COVID?  Because survival to hospital discharge with bystander CPR rate of 11% (as per quoted article) is, well, I agree it's low, but it's definitely not futile, and in a pre-pandemic environment, these odds are worth the effort, I should think.

This is the Covid advice. We used to be trained to perform CPR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That’s certainly understandable then. Even compression only CPR generates aerosols. My EMS agency mandated no CPR on patients without full PPE (gown, gloves, eye protection, N95 mask). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I expect a lot of patients would get turfed to hospitals in San Antonio or Austin.  Probably SA, because it's a bit closer. 

@Dreamergal Regarding complacency due to low cases, people here seem to think that because our cases are not high now, they can never possibly be high. They don't seem to grasp that people can leave our town and county and go to another town/county, get sick there, and then bring it back here.  They say things like "The heat will kill the virus".  If it's on a surface, yes, probably it will die in the Texas summer heat. I am not worried about picking up the virus from a picnic table at the park or a gas pump handle this summer. 😉 

But the heat isn't in one's lungs, and the heat isn't going to help one little bit if you are sitting in a packed, air conditioned restaurant or movie theater, breathing in everyone else's exhaled breaths.  

Yes! On this board there is a thread about how if sick with Covid her husband would still drive 20 hours home, stopping along the way for food/bathroom, etc. So yeah, pretty easy to see how it can spread place to place, and with summer vacation time coming up, that's going to happen more and more. I mean, if people fly to a vacation, then get a "cold" they are going to take some cold medicine and get back on that plane to go home. They are not going to want to stay in place and isolate for weeks far from home. They just won't. I mean, if they won't wear a mask to shop, they are not going to do that. 

As for the heat, yeah, we are in Florida, it's hot, and cases are trending up in my county. Why? Because no one hangs out outside in the heat! We all have air conditioning, the restaurants do, the stores do, the offices do, the schools do, etc etc. Counting on the "heat" to kill the thing when you are inside in the air conditioning 99% of the time is ridiculous. And again, people who won't wear a mask to the grocery store because it is "hot" or "uncomfortable" are not going to give up air conditioning! 

• Like 1

I'm so over hearing that people's reason for not wearing masks is they are hot, and summer is coming. MOST places you need to wear a mask are indoors, in the air conditioning. No one is saying you need to run a marathon in one in July outside. But please, wear one to the freaking air conditioned store. And then keep it on, not hang it from one ear, or slide it down under your nose!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Sensible and should probably be universal.

4 hours ago, brehon said:

That’s certainly understandable then. Even compression only CPR generates aerosols. My EMS agency mandated no CPR on patients without full PPE (gown, gloves, eye protection, N95 mask). 

Same in hospital, province wide.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Danae said:

Minneapolis-St. Paul and Omaha have hit ICU capacity.  New cases per day are still rising.  We're about to see the next round of overwhelmed cities. 😞

Does anyone have more info on this? I went looking and could only find these articles which talk about 87% of ICU capacity in Minneapolis and 72% in Omaha...both less than peak flu season. I didn't go out looking to disprove that they were at capacity (the opposite, actually), but I can't find anything to verify it.

https://m.startribune.com/covid-patients-needing-icu-beds-in-minn-climb-to-record-high/570752552/

https://www.ketv.com/article/covid-19-inpatients-at-nebraska-medicine-reaches-all-time-high/32662643

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Does anyone have more info on this? I went looking and could only find these articles which talk about 87% of ICU capacity in Minneapolis and 72% in Omaha...both less than peak flu season. I didn't go out looking to disprove that they were at capacity (the opposite, actually), but I can't find anything to verify it.

https://m.startribune.com/covid-patients-needing-icu-beds-in-minn-climb-to-record-high/570752552/

https://www.ketv.com/article/covid-19-inpatients-at-nebraska-medicine-reaches-all-time-high/32662643

I found this article  from the 23rd that says 95% of ICU beds were being used in Minneapolis at that time. It appears the amount has fallen over the weekend in the Twin Cities since the 87% capacity is  shown in the article you linked dated the 26th, although the total for the state has grown.   https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-health-officials-call-for-caution-after-news-of-twin-cities-icu-beds-filling-up/570710842/ The total for the state is still growing. Today's figure on Minnesota's page is 258 ICU, 312 non-ICU hospitalizations.  I am not seeing Twin Cities' information on the state page though.  https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Edited by beckyjo
can't type Minnesota
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

I found this article  from the 23rd that says 95% of ICU beds were being used in Minneapolis at that time. It appears the amount has fallen over the weekend in the Twin Cities since the 87% capacity is  shown in the article you linked dated the 26th, although the total for the state has grown.   https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-health-officials-call-for-caution-after-news-of-twin-cities-icu-beds-filling-up/570710842/ The total for the state is still growing. Today's figure on Minnesota's page is 258 ICU, 312 non-ICU hospitalizations.  I am not seeing Twin Cities' information on the state page though.  https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

And I still think people are having trouble with exponential growth and what it means.  Right now the curve is pretty flat or at least linear because we've been staying home.  Even linear can be somewhat manageable. But if people start mingling all willy-nilly, exponential could be back soon.  And if things start doubling every few days, that 'free' capacity will literally be gone in one day, and then it will explode from there.  But hopefully the sun will kill it and I'm worrying for nothing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I've been wondering about that (sometimes out loud on here.) In Texas in the summer, NO ONE is outside. It's simply unbearable. It's not like the Northeast, when that's the nice time to be out... in Texas, it's much nicer in the spring and even somewhat nicer in the winter. But in the summer, it's often over 100 degrees and it's hideous. 

It is unbearable in the summer. We have never bought a pass to the water parks here because it is so hot in summer. It's not fun to be there when it is 105 out. Our yard has zero shade, too. I contemplated buying a pool, but without shade, forget it. 

We usually do a lot of schoolwork in the summer, so we can have a nice spring and fall break. This year just stinks for so many reasons. 😕

2 hours ago, EmseB said:

My understanding from reading the various local articles and community discussion (I went to college for nursing in the Twin Cities and still have a number of connections there) is that elective surgeries were recently started up again. There was a big backlog, not surprisingly, and those cases are filling the ICUs, along with Covid patients. The situation in the ICUs does bear watching, but it would be a mistake to attribute it entirely to Covid (past the fact that the closures created this delay of surgeries.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I'm not seeing that they are at capacity, either. I also found the 87% statistic for Minneapolis, and that's recent. 

This is true, but it's based on expanded ICU numbers.  We've come up quite a few beds since March and I think maybe some can be converted quickly.  

Our models predict we will peek late June/early July on this wave.  We will see ... I'm not running out anytime soon.    I do know people who have had/have it and testing still isn't where it should be.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I haven't been impressed with the CDC during this pandemic, I have to say. I far prefer following state-level data. 

For one thing, this CFR is literally absurd. Their estimated CFR IS 0.4%. That's half of what New York's observed IFR is, never mind its CFR, which is some number of times that. 

I wondered about that but it says ratio - is that the same as % ?

4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, just divided by 100 ;-). I converted to percent for easier reading. 

I am not a math person lol! Thank goodness for Derek Owens or my kids would be in trouble!

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/coronavirus-cluster-discovered-at-morgan-hill-fish-processing-plant/
“MORGAN HILL (KPIX 5) — The Santa Clara County Department of Public Health is scrambling to prevent a cluster of three dozen coronavirus cases at a fish processing plant in Morgan Hill from becoming a wider outbreak.

“A couple of weeks ago, an employee from this company, their spouse was hospitalized with COVID. They got tested as a contact and discovered that they were positive as well,” said Dr. Sara Cody, the county’s Chief Health Officer.

Dr. Cody says the company, Lusamerica Foods, Inc., quarantined and tested all of the employees with whom the infected person had been in contact. But when some of those people tested positive as well, the county stepped in.

“The county stood up testing in collaboration with the company. And over the course of a day, we tested everyone there,” said Cody.

Lusamerica Foods released a statement that reads in part, “All those who have tested positive are at home; the majority are asymptomatic. All employees who tested negative will be retested as a precautionary measure.”

The company had also implemented a number of safeguards to prevent any further spread of the virus, including all employees provided with face masks which are mandatory while on the premises, temperature checks are taken at the beginning and middle of each shift, and protective barriers have been installed at work stations.”

• Sad 1

@mathnerd@sassenach  Cooling centers are opened 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/heat-wave-leaves-bay-area-residents-scrambling-for-ways-to-cool-down/2297266/
“Meanwhile, some areas are starting to announce cooling centers.

Here's a list of cooling centers that will be open through Thursday, May 28 in San Jose. The cooling centers will be open from 5 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, 1 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, and 1 to 7 p.m. on Thursday.

• Mayfair Community Center; 2039 Kammerer Ave. San José, CA 95116 
  • Camden Community Center; 3369 Union Ave. San José, CA 95124 
  • Seven Trees Community Center; 3590 Cas Dr. San José, CA 95111 
  • Roosevelt Community Center; 901 E. Santa Clara St. San José, CA 95116 
  • Cypress Community Center; 403 Cypress Ave. San José, CA 95117 

Officials say due to COVID-19 county health orders, capacity will be limited at the cooling centers. Residents who visit a cooling center must follow all county guidelines, including social distancing and wearing a face mask. For more information, visit the Santa Clara County's Emergency Department.”

11 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

This is true, but it's based on expanded ICU numbers.  We've come up quite a few beds since March and I think maybe some can be converted quickly.  

Our models predict we will peek late June/early July on this wave.  We will see ... I'm not running out anytime soon.    I do know people who have had/have it and testing still isn't where it should be.  

I think it was similar here. Long before it was needed, the local hospital greatly increased the number of ICU beds, so comparing % of capacity at the peak and prior to the pandemic isn’t really meaningful as a metric. My state actually reports number hospitalized, in ICU, and on a ventilator, so it is possible to see how those numbers change over time.

In our county, they are talking about suing to allow for the large tennis tournament we host plus Kings Island to open.  The county leaders feel that our county has had a very low impact by the virus.  

“This is just going to prolong the agony,” Deerfield Twp. Trustee ********** said during the teleconference meeting. “Warren County is not sick.”

A 20th death from COVID-19 was reported Monday in Warren County. There have been 340 cases and 47 hospitalizations in the county since the beginning of the outbreak, according to the Ohio Department of Health.

Note: we don't really have a large hospital in Warren County, so most people go to Hamilton County or Butler County for treatment.

So my question is, how is it that they don't see that tourist attractions attract tourists?? Does it really matter if our county has low numbers? The point of these attractions is to pull in people from all over.  

I also told the trustee that I felt "Warren County is not sick" is going to be interpreted badly by some folks who have experienced loss or extreme illness due to COVID.  She respectfully disagreed. My husband felt like she was right, and that her statement clearly means "low case numbers in the county." I felt like she should have been more cautious with her wording as someone in a political position. 

@sassenach San Ramon

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/san-ramon-valley-board-of-education-approves-administrator-raises-amid-huge-budget-cuts/

“SAN RAMON (KPIX 5) — The San Ramon Valley Unified School District Board of Education on Tuesday night voted to give the district superintendent and other top administrators a raise, even as the district looks to make roughly $8 million in cuts.

According to the school district officials, this is something they have done routinely in the past, applying the same salary increase negotiated for the teachers to top administrators. However, parents argue this is not just another regular school year amid budget shortfalls exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic..

“Our district is saying OK, face cutbacks for teachers, more kids in classrooms and fewer teachers on our campuses, but we’re going to give a golden parachute to our outgoing administrators?” asked parent Nancy Datz. “It makes absolutely no sense to me.”

School board members for the San Ramon Valley Unified School District said they received roughly 300 emails from parents sharing their concerns about the salary increases. But the board voted unanimously to give the superintendent and other top administrators a 2.56 percent raise.

“When people are losing their jobs, people are furloughed, kids aren’t in school. The economy is going to pot, and we’re voting on getting a raise tonight?” asked parent Andrea Vomund.

Board members in the Zoom meeting Tuesday night argued that administrators deserve the raises just as much as teachers.

“In the effort of fairness, it’s fair to apply the increases to all employees,” said board member Rachel Hurd.

But many parents are saying in this case, no way, especially not when the district’s superintendent is now scheduled to make more than $350,000, one of the highest salaries for a superintendent in the Bay Area.

“The feedback I got from district administrators was, ‘We feel like we need to pay our people to live here.’ That’s fine, but we’re not Chevron. They’re public employees,” said Datz.

The salary increase will be retroactive to July 1st, 2019. The current superintendent Rick Schmitt has announced his retirement for next month.”

• Confused 5

FYI, posted on Facebook 

“Cooling Centers available in Santa Clara County Today and Thursday - San Jose, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, Saratoga and Campbell

🔹 GILROY, SARATOGA, MORGAN HILL - today, May 27 from 1:00pm-6:00pm and Thursday, May 28 from 1:00pm-6:00pm.
• Saratoga Library, 13650 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga
• Gilroy Library, 350 West 6th St., Gilroy
• Morgan Hill Library, 660 West Main Ave., Morgan Hill

Please note: Limited space. Public Health social distancing guidelines and library policies will be enforced:
• Please do not enter if you have COVID-19 symptoms including: fever, cough, diarrhea, headache, muscle aches, shortness of breath, unexplained loss of taste or smell
• Face covering is required (exception of children 6 years and under or if medically inadvisable)
• Maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet from others at all times
• Library behavior policies will be enforced

🔹 SAN JOSE - Five San Jose cooling centers - today, May 27 from 1:00pm-9:00 pm, and Thursday from 1:00pm-7:00 pm:
• Mayfair Community Center, 2039 Kammerer Ave. San Jose
• Camden Community Center, 3369 Union Ave. San Jose
• Seven Trees Community Center, 3590 Cas Dr. San Jose
• Roosevelt Community Center, 901 E. Santa Clara St. San Jose
• Cypress Community Center, 403 Cypress Ave. San Jose
Please note: Due to current County Health Orders, capacity will be limited, face masks will be required and physical distance guidelines will be enforced. To learn more, please visit http://ow.ly/uj7e50zRLyD

🔹 CAMPBELL -The Campbell Community Center located at 1 W. Campbell Avenue, Campbell, will open a cooling center for the public to use during these days and times:
• Wednesday, May 27- 1:30pm-8:00pm, Q80 (Roosevelt Redwood Room)
• Thursday, May 28 - 1:30pm-8:00pm, Q80 (Roosevelt Redwood Room)
Please note: Attendees will need to self screen for COVID-19, and wear a mask at all times. Tables and chairs are set a minimum of 6 ft. apart.

For information about heat safety, please visit http://ow.ly/tv4x50zRLyE
#beattheheat”

@sassenach@mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/alameda-county-becomes-covid-19-hotspot/2298187/

“A map showing the cases by county for each week in May shows there has been a surge in Alameda County, surpassing Santa Clara County and becoming the hotspot in the Bay Area.

Parts of Oakland and Hayward have reported the most cases.

“So you have one group saying let’s get back into the building and my response is ‘let’s just get tested,’” said Nick Clark Jr., who is a Bishop at his father’s church. “So, I think there is a fear.”

Hayward City Councilman Mark Salinas believes that fear is in the communities he represents.

Coronavirus testing started in Hayward reaching a milestone Wednesday. Ten thousand people now know if they have it or not. “How are we going to beat this?” said Salinas. “It’s testing and sheltering in place. It’s really a matter of life and death.””

ETA:

you can see trends here by county if you scroll down https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

From tomorrow, Scotland will have its first relaxation of rules.  It's pretty gradual, which is fine by me.  I'm looking foward to travelling five miles to Nordic Walk on the beach at low tide, when there's tons of space.  We are inviting a friend over for distanced drinks on Saturday in the garden:

image.png.2e1a8bbe1d5fe25f92c1c06c80aa8134.png

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@sassenach@mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay/alameda-county-becomes-covid-19-hotspot/2298187/

“A map showing the cases by county for each week in May shows there has been a surge in Alameda County, surpassing Santa Clara County and becoming the hotspot in the Bay Area.

Parts of Oakland and Hayward have reported the most cases.

“So you have one group saying let’s get back into the building and my response is ‘let’s just get tested,’” said Nick Clark Jr., who is a Bishop at his father’s church. “So, I think there is a fear.”

Hayward City Councilman Mark Salinas believes that fear is in the communities he represents.

Coronavirus testing started in Hayward reaching a milestone Wednesday. Ten thousand people now know if they have it or not. “How are we going to beat this?” said Salinas. “It’s testing and sheltering in place. It’s really a matter of life and death.””

ETA:

you can see trends here by county if you scroll down https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Our county Nextdoor has been flipping out because we’ve had an increase in cases but we’ve also had a major increase in testing. People have to stop losing their crap when testing increases (especially when they test whole neighborhoods) find pockets of cases. Hospitalizations are still at 2 or 3. 

• Like 3