Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Expectation is Vic will have around 200 hospitalisations from current cases.  There is some thought that the NSW pub cluster came from a truck driver.  There is also a NSW cluster linked to Kmart.  Our (S.A.) premier has said the NSW clusters put border reopening in doubt.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

This really highlights the enormous challenges of opening schools. A lot of teachers are prone to sinus infections (or mild colds. Or allergies). My husband (who's a high school teacher) had a sinus infection last week. He's had a mild cough from allergies for the past 2 weeks. Even putting aside the cough, last week when he had the sinus infection (so cough, swollen sinuses, generally feeling run down, maybe a slightly elevated temperature, but not an official fever). I went online just to see when he'd be able to get a COVID test, mostly out of curiosity for how it would go down if it happened two months from now when he's supposed to be back at school. I checked on Friday and he could have made an appointment for Tuesday, and results would be back in no less than a week. So if he started staying home from work and scheduled a test on the first day of symptoms, he'd be out at least a week and a half, assuming his test came back negative. I can count on one hand the number of sick days he's taken over the past 2-3 years put together, but if he has to stay home and get a covid test every time something like that happens....but of course, the consequences if you DON'T take those precautions are potentially fatal. 

It’s common for teachers and students to attend with what are usually thought of as mild illnesses, as I’m sure you know. The scenario you describe makes sense and people need to think through what will happen with the teacher absences when illnesses come up and teachers aren’t supposed to be in a classroom. I doubt there are enough substitute teachers to fill in. There will be some teachers that push through without mentioning symptoms because of that, or because they are out of sick leave, etc.. This is such a bad scenario. I can’t imagine having to make these decisions as an administrator, a teacher or a parent. 

• Like 7

Saw this today:  Evidently, TAMU will send 15,000 tests to each of their campuses each month.  The university system has about 153,000 students in total, with about 69,000 at the main campus in College Station.

Texas A&M to provide free COVID-19 testing for all students, faculty, and staff

Texas A&M University has announced it will offer free COVID-19 testing for all students, faculty and staff at its 11 campuses. 

Each campus will have a central testing location in which people will use a mouth swab to test for the novel coronavirus, university officials said in a news release.

People will be required to register online before going to the testing site. Once they arrive, trained personnel will monitor individuals as they perform a self-administered test.

People are encouraged to get tested if they experience symptoms related to coronavirus, or if they suspect they have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.

University officials say although the tests are free, people with insurance are encouraged to use their primary care physician to access the test so that their test can be paid for by insurance. 

"Facilitating increased accessibility and availability of COVID-19 testing will help us mitigate the spread and help to protect each other by taking preventative and proactive measures," said John Sharp, chancellor of the Texas A&M University System.

About 15,000 test kits will be sent to each campus every month, according to university officials. Testing could start as early as late this week, though the tests will not be available to the general public. 

Texas A&M is partnering with Curative Inc., a national testing company based in California. According to a news release, Curative provides results within 30 hours from when a sample arrives at their lab.

8 minutes ago, square_25 said:

With the current outbreak in Texas, it's hard to imagine that would be enough...

Texas is huge

Looking at Brazos County (where College Station -- TAMU's main campus is -- thus the biggest population for the 15K tests delivered there) They had 60 positives yesterday. Only 3K total so far over the last 6 months. (23K tests total done) Even with the increasing positivity 15K tests a month is going to make a significant increase in testing in the area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Why would we look there? Kids come from all over Texas. I'm pretty worried about that in NYC, too -- kids are going to bring cases here. 

Ah. You're thinking everyone is going to need to be tested the first month -- is that the problem? That 15K tests won't cover everyone being tested at the beginning

The whole testing thing is just impossible right now. My dh has someone at work who got sick last week, symptoms of Covid along with a million other viruses, and got tested. He has still not received his results. He was sick for a few days but last we heard was feeling a lot better. My dh was in an office with him, for a short time, the day before he got sick. My dh has no symptoms, has moved all his appointments online and isn’t going anywhere. We are keeping away from him as much as possible and avoiding anything unnecessary, but it seems so hard to know what to do. How can we possibly get a handle on this in these conditions? Our area is still pretty low spread, but is increasing, and of course I come in contact with positive people at work when we have them, but there I’m wearing full PPE. It’s really hard to know all that we should do. We wear masks in public indoor places all the time.

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm not must of an optimist, I guess :-(. I'm kind of staring fall in the face and not seeing how things are going to better, so I'm just... sad. Sorry to take that out on you guys. 

I think you made an accurate assessment that a safer return to campus would require much more testing, especially on such large campuses. The state of testing in this country is dismal but you personally don't need to apologize for that!

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Right, the lack of rapid testing means people can't make good decisions :-/;. 

Unfortunately the rapid test here is so inaccurate that people who receive a rapid negative are told to quarantine and wait for the longer test to come back as well. It's not enough.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm not must of an optimist, I guess :-(. I'm kind of staring fall in the face and not seeing how things are going to better, so I'm just... sad. Sorry to take that out on you guys. 

You're not alone in feeling sad. I cannot believe we have done this to ourselves. This amount of needless death has really gotten to me. Some days, I just want to pack up my family and move to Canada -- weather be damned.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, square_25 said:

So, are you saying that you think more than 15k students of the 69k will need to be tested immediately? 

And, no need to apologize.  I know the numbers don't look good, but I have an Aggie, and I'm happy the school is offering this option.  I don't expect ds to be tested unless he has symptoms or knows he has been exposed to someone who has symptoms or has tested positive.  I know the university is ramping up for contact tracing.

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

So, are you saying that you think more than 15k students of the 69k will need to be tested immediately? 

And, no need to apologize.  I know the numbers don't look good, but I have an Aggie, and I'm happy the school is offering this option.  I don't expect ds to be tested unless he has symptoms or knows he has been exposed to someone who has symptoms or has tested positive.  I know the university is ramping up for contact tracing.

Dora: I dearly wish I lived in College Station ISD right now and not the Austin area. I would not be feeling so panicked and out of control.

(I graduated HS myself from A&M Consolidated. It'd be neat for my kids to go to the same building, as well..)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Texas is huge

Looking at Brazos County (where College Station -- TAMU's main campus is -- thus the biggest population for the 15K tests delivered there) They had 60 positives yesterday. Only 3K total so far over the last 6 months. (23K tests total done) Even with the increasing positivity 15K tests a month is going to make a significant increase in testing in the area.

I wonder why they will be sending test out to CA since the vet school handles most of the community testing currently.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Vet school at capacity and not wanting to add to it?

Sending off to CA will make the result time take forever.  I’d find the capacity.  It’s has helped the hospital a lot to be able to get the tests done locally.

And the local report.....as long as you stay away from anywhere serving food Brazos is pretty masked up.  Even voting today (which is exempt from masking), everyone was masked when we were there.

• Like 2

Israel update:  1688 new cases, an all-time high and nearly double the worst day in the first wave.   Unemployment is near 25%.  Massive protests in Tel Aviv about the government's failure to cope with the economic fallout.  Huge anti-corruption protests in Jerusalem in front of the PM's house.  Nightly protests in Jerusalem haredi (ultra-orthodox) neighborhoods against the local lockdowns there, with some protesters carrying English-language signs saying "All Charedi Lives Matter.'*  

Every single expert seems to agree that the country desperately needs one central authority to coordinate the coronavirus response, but the PM and the Health Ministry remain stubbornly resistant to ceding control.  

Lottta people getting infected at weddings, apparently.  

17 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My kids and I are now guessing how many days until the whole state is back to lockdown. I am predicting by Saturday 

Hey, we're playing that game, too.  I think Sunday here.  

*2020 just gets more nuts by the day, man.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I think the TAMU info is positive, especially if they have the ability to ramp up more than 15k/month as needed without taking away from the other campuses.

I'm not sure how they are going to handle testing all the students coming in to colleges whether from out of state or who live in an area that is blowing up right now. Even dd#1's college that is allowing a lot of students to go all-online is saying they are going to require testing when students living in the dorm arrive on campus if they don't have a test result & a clean quarantine (like they have to fly) before they get there.

So anecdotally here, DH had a cold for the second time in two weeks.  He knows it’s separate to the first one because the person he was working with two days before was at work really sick (shouldn’t have been there 😬) His work asked him to get the Covid test again because the current advice here is even if you were sick last week and better Saturday and have a sore throat Monday you get tested again.  When he had his Telehealth thing with the doctor and he mentioned that she snapped at him “inappropriate”.  She hadn’t listened to the full story so it’s possible she didn’t realise it was a second infection.  But I’ve heard testing is under pressure interstate and also that some tests are being sent here for processing so I wonder if the testing is being dialled back a bit locally.  Or maybe the doctor was just having a bad day.

Tricor/fenofibrate could reduce severity of Covid to more like the common cold

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/hebrew-u-scientist-drug-could-eradicate-covid-19-from-lungs-in-days-635028/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I can’t find anything more about this bit will be looking out for the study later in the week when it’s supposed to be released.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/hebrew-u-scientist-drug-could-eradicate-covid-19-from-lungs-in-days-635028/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I can’t find anything more about this bit will be looking out for the study later in the week when it’s supposed to be released.  

That looks very exciting!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Y'know my pessimist side thinks of the saying, if it seems too good to be true it probably is... My optimistic side, however, thinks that looks very promising. 🤞 If it is already FDA approved hopefully they can move quickly to human trials.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plum said:

@Pen Possible good news? Somewhat like a measles response to antibodies tests?

A recent preprint study published in bioRxiv, suggests that many people who contract SARS-CoV-2 but have mild or no clinical signs still develop so-called T-cell-mediated immunity to the virus, even in the absence of a positive antibody test.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/immunology/news/sars-cov-2-immunity-likely-to-be-higher-than-antibody-testing-has-shown-336861?fbclid=IwAR2EYDys-aXhe7tLqkc47jLmk_OEyWGrWjI6b1htOH5XSihBVW4awHQuuPA

Yes.  Probably very good news!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Very interesting. 

There have been some word of mouth indications that possibly Ketogenic diet is helpful. If this article’s suggestion about the reason that Tricor is helpful is that it helps carbohydrate/ fat metabolism as part of mechanism that might be a positive sign for Ketogenic diet as well. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TracyP said:

Y'know my pessimist side thinks of the saying, if it seems too good to be true it probably is... My optimistic side, however, thinks that looks very promising. 🤞 If it is already FDA approved hopefully they can move quickly to human trials.

So from skimming through the paper it’s only being done at cellular level yet so might be a way off but agreed hopefully they can get on with human trials given the safety side is taken care of.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Very interesting. 

There have been some word of mouth indications that possibly Ketogenic diet is helpful. If this article’s suggestion about the reason that Tricor is helpful is that it helps carbohydrate/ fat metabolism as part of mechanism that might be a positive sign for Ketogenic diet as well. 

I must admit the last couple of weeks this virus has been motivating me to up the exercise levels to an hour a day.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I must admit the last couple of weeks this virus has been motivating me to up the exercise levels to an hour a day.  

I wish I could say the same. This virus has been motivating me to do nothing but drink more chardonnay. 😪

Can you tell I am nearing my end of term (in nursing school) and am a wee bit stressed? (Term 3 ends July 31st and I am trying to get all my papers and clinical hours in on time.)

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I wish I could say the same. This virus has been motivating me to do nothing but drink more chardonnay. 😪

Can you tell I am nearing my end of term (in nursing school) and am a wee bit stressed? (Term 3 ends July 31st and I am trying to get all my papers and clinical hours in on time.)

Well we are all in the lucky position here of opening up almost back to normal.  Closely watching the situation over the border and prepared to change but seeing people has done wonders for my motivation levels even as a crazy level introvert.  I really feel for those who are still in lockdown or going back into lockdown for the second time.  I suspect still that at some point our time is coming but having a breather has been nice.

good luck with your papers and hours and good on you for doing what you’re doing!

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, square_25 said:

Right, the lack of rapid testing means people can't make good decisions :-/;. 

I haven’t heard that any are really sick, but haven’t heard any details other than they are positive and it seemed that bars were implicated in the spread.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1806_article

Collectively, these preliminary data suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is resilient in aerosol form and agree with conclusions reached in earlier studies of aerosol fitness (6). A clear limitation of the aerosol stability data is that we report only 1 measurement of the 16-h time point; future studies need to repeat these findings before any definitive conclusions are reached. Aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 may be a more important exposure transmission pathway than previously considered (7). Our approach of quantitative measurement of infectivity of viral airborne efficiency augmented by assessment of virion morphology suggests that SARS-CoV-2 may be viable as an airborne pathogen. Humans produce aerosols continuously through normal respiration (8). Aerosol production increases during respiratory illnesses (9,10) and during louder-than-normal oration (11). A fraction of naturally generated aerosols falls within the size distribution used in our experimental studies (<5 μm), which leads us to conclude that SARS-CoV-2–infected persons may produce viral bioaerosols that remain infectious for long periods after production through human shedding and airborne transport. Accordingly, our study results provide a preliminary basis for broader recognition of the unique aerobiology of SARS-CoV-2, which might lead to tractable solutions and prevention interventions. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1806_article

Collectively, these preliminary data suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is resilient in aerosol form and agree with conclusions reached in earlier studies of aerosol fitness (6). A clear limitation of the aerosol stability data is that we report only 1 measurement of the 16-h time point; future studies need to repeat these findings before any definitive conclusions are reached. Aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 may be a more important exposure transmission pathway than previously considered (7). Our approach of quantitative measurement of infectivity of viral airborne efficiency augmented by assessment of virion morphology suggests that SARS-CoV-2 may be viable as an airborne pathogen. Humans produce aerosols continuously through normal respiration (8). Aerosol production increases during respiratory illnesses (9,10) and during louder-than-normal oration (11). A fraction of naturally generated aerosols falls within the size distribution used in our experimental studies (<5 μm), which leads us to conclude that SARS-CoV-2–infected persons may produce viral bioaerosols that remain infectious for long periods after production through human shedding and airborne transport. Accordingly, our study results provide a preliminary basis for broader recognition of the unique aerobiology of SARS-CoV-2, which might lead to tractable solutions and prevention interventions. 

CDC seems to be slow on figuring this out. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I'm wondering how this impacts the clotting issues and the organ damage?  Does it help with that?

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm wondering how this impacts the clotting issues and the organ damage?  Does it help with that?

Requoting to add - I think it relates to the problems the virus causes for the epithelial cells and they are linked to the clotting issues.   However I am way out of my depth here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

I haven’t listened to it yet, but DrBeen has a YouTube video addressing statins and Covid. Since Tricor is a statin, maybe it will apply .  He usually explains likely mechanisms of action. 

Thanks!  I am still sucking at making time to watch the videos because I can read so much faster.  But will look for it tonight 

• Like 1

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-sydney-lockdown-nsw-premier-gladys-berejiklian-says-state-will-not-shut-down-despite-covid19-spike/3a529577-a8c6-4c60-a200-cfbfb4fdaa2c

nsw won’t go into lockdown again 😬

premier is citing the lack of slowdown in Melbourne’s numbers as justification!!! They locked down five days ago.  Not long enough to see full impact anyway and they appear to have stopped increasing.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

I know ny times can be a bit political but anyone got a different perspective on this. Looks like Covid Data won’t be going to the CDC?  Happy to delete if it’s too political for this thread.

I can't read the article, but this was written by someone at the NY Times. https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter?fbclid=IwAR1frDrnCieISDLiQGbmJrs2H33wEtk-M6EHn0QRVV3CCXb4dalIgq1sxOs

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

I can't read the article, but this was written by someone at the NY Times. https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter?fbclid=IwAR1frDrnCieISDLiQGbmJrs2H33wEtk-M6EHn0QRVV3CCXb4dalIgq1sxOs

I’m aware of the issues people here have with the times as a source I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the specific issue in the article.

18 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

Gently, and trying to not get too political -- What does the resignation of one opinion editor have to do with factual reporting? Too many people nowadays can't (or choose not to) distinguish between an outlet's editorial pages and their news reporting.

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m aware of the issues people here have with the times as a source I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the specific issue in the article.

I haven't heard anything outside this article which clearly paints this new data collection attempt as a bad thing. My thoughts... The U.S. needs a better data collection system. This seems to fill this need. The article talks about politicization and transparency being issues. Pffft, as if those aren't already issues within the CDC. So for now, I think this is a positive step.