Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

23 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I picked up new socks for all.......

That’s at the top of my list, lol. We go through socks at an insane rate.

Most of us have plenty of shoes to last, but there are still those two growing boys...

I’ve been looking for “made in” info on random items around the house, but I’m finding mostly “distributed by”. Colgate toothbrushes are made in China, but I’ve always kept heavy stock after years of kids dropping them into toilets. I’ve never broken the habit of stockpiling those!

• Like 2

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

@mumto2 in re Tylenol  — iirc, NSAID type medicine is associated with 1) decrease in immunity; 2) increase in Cytokine Storm   (possibly increase in ARDS, possibly increase in hemorrhagic developments) 

One reason that people on homeopathic treatment seemed to fare better in 1918 flu pandemic than those on “allopathic” May have been that NSAID treatment increased fatality, so simply by *not* being on the conventional remedies it helped.  

24 minutes ago, Pen said:

@mumto2 in re Tylenol  — iirc, NSAID type medicine is associated with 1) decrease in immunity; 2) increase in Cytokine Storm   (possibly increase in ARDS, possibly increase in hemorrhagic developments) 

One reason that people on homeopathic treatment seemed to fare better in 1918 flu pandemic than those on “allopathic” May have been that NSAID treatment increased fatality, so simply by *not* being on the conventional remedies it helped.  

I think you have to be careful with this. Aspirin has been thought to have increased deaths in that pandemic; however, it is not a one-to-one relationship with today because the dosing regimens were quite different 100 years ago. Doctors basically overdosed patients with aspirin which, if I recall correctly, is believed to have caused both an increase in pulmonary edema and salicylate toxicity. And, of course, doctors didn’t know anything about  Reye’s syndrome. They knew next to nothing about the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of what was at the time a fairly new drug. 

ETA: Tylenol wasn’t introduced and marketed until the late 1950’s. People need to be very careful about not accidentally overdosing on cold & flu type medicines which contain acetaminophen, of course. But I would have no qualms about taking appropriate doses of an NSAID for symptomatic relief. 

There wasn’t even much thought of homeopathic v. allopathic medicine in 1918, at least among the most of the public. 

Edited by brehon
  • Like 2

@Pen  Thank you,  I am currently on the side of having medications that might help available.  I think Tylenol will be ......I hate to say in short supply but on everyone’s list.  Hopefully we have time to watch what works before it reaches us.  Willing to take it at this point if symptoms call for it.

Right now I am living with a super high pollen count with citrus starting to blossom so Sudafed etc was actually pretty high on our otc need list!  I skipped allergy meds yesterday because I forgot and am trying to get things back under control again for being in public.  Lots of people are going around coughing and sneezing probably in part because of allergies but it is frankly freaking me out.  A trip to Costco made me have to shower after the lady behind me......as in a foot behind me sniffled all over me. She sounded completely contagious.  I even lysoled the car because I sat in it after.

54 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

@Pen  Thank you,  I am currently on the side of having medications that might help available.  I think Tylenol will be ......I hate to say in short supply but on everyone’s list.  Hopefully we have time to watch what works before it reaches us.  Willing to take it at this point if symptoms call for it.

That’s fine!  Just a heads up.  It’s not just an olden Times 1918 issue.    

Modern example: 

“ Using NSAIDs during an acute respiratory infection was associated with a 3.4-fold increased risk for a heart attack, with 7.2 times greater risk when patients received the pain-relieving medication intravenously in the hospital, compared to times when patients had neither of the risk factors” 

Jan 22, 2014 · Taking drugs like aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen when you have the flu reduces fever and makes you feel better, but it may increase ...

Dec 9, 2015 · Researchers in New Zealand randomized 80 adults with flu symptoms to either 1,000 milligrams of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or a placebo four ...

Dec 8, 2015 · "We initially theorized that taking paracetamol might be harmful, as the influenza virus cannot replicate as well at higher temperatures, and by ...

Right now I am living with a super high pollen count with citrus starting to blossom so Sudafed etc was actually pretty high on our otc need list!  I skipped allergy meds yesterday because I forgot and am trying to get things back under control again for being in public.  Lots of people are going around coughing and sneezing probably in part because of allergies but it is frankly freaking me out.  A trip to Costco made me have to shower after the lady behind me......as in a foot behind me sniffled all over me. She sounded completely contagious.  I even lysoled the car because I sat in it after.

We have around here similar situation, still  colds, flu, season and allergy has started ... not citrus, but other plants.    Scotch broom is a particularly nemesis for me.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

That’s at the top of my list, lol. We go through socks at an insane rate.

Most of us have plenty of shoes to last, but there are still those two growing boys...

I’ve been looking for “made in” info on random items around the house, but I’m finding mostly “distributed by”.

Underwear, undershirts, sports clothing like Nike leggings are all mostly made in China.

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-demand-for-sanitisers-antibacterial-soap-and-12450608

“(Updated: 19 Feb 2020 08:00PM)

SINGAPORE: Demand for health and cleaning products such as hand sanitisers, antibacterial soaps and thermometers continue to surge, almost one month into the COVID-19 outbreak in Singapore, pharmacies and supermarkets told CNA. 

Demand for hand sanitisers and vitamin C supplements surged by more than five times in the first two weeks of February, said an NTUC FairPrice spokesperson in response to CNA queries.

More than two weeks after Singapore raised its disease risk assessment level to Orange, stock levels for popular brands of hand sanitisers and disinfectants continue to run low, said FairPrice.

"Our usual suppliers have been unable to fulfil the current high demand," said the spokesperson.

The supermarket chain has approached more suppliers from different countries in order to source for alternatives stocks and brands of high demand items, and is bringing in replenishments weekly, said the spokesperson.

To cope with the increase in demand, some supermarkets and pharmacies have set purchase limits on certain items. 

FairPrice imposed limits on personal protection and hygiene items three weeks ago.

Customers are allowed to purchase a maximum of 10 pieces of face masks, two units of hand sanitisers, two packets of wet wipes, two packets of alcohol swabs, two units of thermometers and two packets of thermometer probe covers, said the FairPrice spokesperson. ”

• Like 1

@mumto2  Personally, I did not get an acetaminophen stock up, but I did get Vitamin D 😁  —  maybe both would be good to have. 

“. Vitamin D modulates T-cell responses and has anti-inflammatory properties, but boosts innate immune responses by induction of the human gene for cathelicidin, CAMP.”

http://www.imedpub.com/articles/vitamin-d-or-flu-vaccinebenefits-over-adverse-effects.php?aid=22080

. Learn how vitamin D deficiency may cause worsening of asthma and allergies.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I have a high school senior going off to college either in May or August.  Would you start getting dorm supplies now?  

I've been wondering the same for my senior! She's my oldest so it's partly just getting my head around what she'll need to live away from home. 

I think I'm going to pick things up as they occur to me now. Not toiletries yet, but towels and tweezers and a shower caddy etc. She's an outdoor adventurer and athlete who goes through several pairs of running shoes a year, so we may start college clothing and shoe shopping earlier than we might have otherwise too.

Honestly it would probably make the process less stressful to spread out the shopping and expenses over the next several months anyway.

All of us need to update our iPhones as well....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I have a high school senior going off to college either in May or August.  Would you start getting dorm supplies now?  

Wow, great point to think about!  I have a dd who won’t be in a dorm, but might be mostly away for school in the fall and will need a few things. That hadn’t even occurred to me but, yeah, I’m gonna get on it. Thank you!

Just now, Carrie12345 said:

Wow, great point to think about!  I have a dd who won’t be in a dorm, but might be mostly away for school in the fall and will need a few things. That hadn’t even occurred to me but, yeah, I’m gonna get on it. Thank you!

Quoting myself

And not just because some things may be short from overseas, but because that could alter prices on things made here.

• Like 1

From Time https://time.com/5785644/diamond-princess-crew-quarantine/

“As Passengers Leave Coronavirus-Stricken Cruise Ship, Crew Members Are Moving Into Their Cabins for a Second Quarantine

As passengers started leaving the Diamond Princess Wednesday following a quarantine that saw them largely confined to their rooms for two weeks, another quarantine is about to begin.

The 1,000-some crew members still left on the coronavirus-stricken ship will soon be moving from their decks below the waterline—where they share rooms, toilets and dining areas—into the very passenger cabins that they stayed on board to serve during the first quarantine, several crew members and a passenger tell TIME.

Crew members said the empty passenger rooms will be sanitized and fumigated, and that they would be transferred to complete a second 14-day quarantine there. Crew members will be assigned to individual rooms, but will likely only begin their quarantine on Friday, after majority of the passengers have left.

Already, at least 50 crew members have contracted the coronavirus, called COVID-19, but some say they fear even more could be ill. Over the past few days, more and more crew members have reported symptoms common to the coronavirus and were told to isolate themselves in their cabins.

One crew member said Princess Cruises, the company that operates Diamond Princess, has informed them that they will be moving into rooms with balconies, a welcome change from their below-deck, windowless cabins that they share with up to two others.

“Some of our colleagues are preparing their stuff because they’re going to transfer to passengers cabins,” said Obet, a crew member who asked to go by a pseudonym due to a company media policy. Obet, who is from the Philippines, is in a hospital on shore after testing positive for the virus, along with his cabin-mate.

Since the quarantine began on Feb. 5, crew members have mostly continued their duties, preparing meals, doing sanitation work and delivering food to passengers.

A lack of private cabins for crew members also meant that those who reported symptoms were only told to isolate themselves in their rooms, at the risk of passing the virus to their roommates. “Crew members can easily get infected in that situation,” Chiu adds.

Japanese health authorities said Tuesday that all passengers on board have had their samples taken, and will only be allowed to disembark if they test negative. But not all crew members have been tested yet, some told TIME.

Princess Cruises did not respond to questions about living conditions and quarantine for the crew.

On Wednesday, Philippines Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Boy Locsin ordered the country’s embassy in Tokyo to immediately bring home the around 500 Filipinos aboard the cruise ship. At least 41 Filipino crew members have tested positive for the virus.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This is kind of an aside, I'm personally not overly worried about coronavirus and the town where my kid goes to college did have a dx.  But  I have a kid who is a freshman in college this fall in a dorm with around 1000 students  Anyway - one thing we have found really helpful is having a small air filter.  It's also a good white noise machine.  Dorms get musty, it's an old building and I'm sure dorms are petri dishes of all kinds of garbage.  My student hasn't had even a cold this year (knock on wood).  I prime him multi vitams and elderberry gummies regularly too. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1S7GGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_ title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Anyway - one thing we have found really helpful is having a small air filter. 

DS15 and I have our worst allergies season in Jan/Feb and April/May, mainly hay fever. I have been running my air filter in my bedroom since flowers started blooming. I am looking into a tower air filter for my living room. The air filter is worth spending on. We have HEPA replacement filters, maybe we should order more.

• Like 2

The two cases from Iran died.  Confirmed on a first test but they were waiting for a follow up.   This seems to indicate they may have been sick for a while and potentially this could have spread locally.  

edited to add they were local with no travel history.  25 others are now in quarantine at the hospital

also

“Iranian authorities announce that all schools and universities in Qom will be closed on Thursday, following the confirmation of 2 deaths caused by coronavirus - state media“

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

28 people in serious condition from diamond princess.

looks like the first batch to disembark were mostly Japanese.  It sounds like they may be being asked to stay home and monitor but I’m not sure about the translation from google translate. 

I hope posting this isn’t a copyright problem will delete if needed.  But it gives much more detailed information than I’ve seen elsewhere.  From NHK translated by google.

“Passengers were disembarked on a cruise ship where outbreaks of the new coronavirus were confirmed, and 443 people left the ship on the 19th and 1st. Approximately 500 passengers are expected to disembark on the 20th.

So far, 621 passengers and crew have been infected on the cruise ship “Diamond Princess” anchored in Yokohama Port.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has conducted a virus test on all passengers and crew members remaining on board, and those who have negative results and no symptoms are being disembarked sequentially from the 19th when the 14-day health observation period ended. .

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 443 people left the ship on the 19th and 1st, and about 90% were Japanese.

On the 20th, about 500 passengers are expected to disembark, which means that Japanese and foreigners will be evenly split. Passenger disembarkation is expected to close by around 21st.

However, if you are in the same room as the person with the confirmed infection, even if the test result is negative, the infected person will remain on board for 14 days after leaving the room, and will be asked to disembark if there is no problem with their health condition. I am.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare asks those who disembark to live a normal life at home, etc., and checks their health status over the phone for several days.

On the other hand, with regard to crew, after giving priority to passenger disembarkation, we will discuss with the cruise ship operator and consider measures such as dismissing applicants.
Confirmed 621 infections so far
According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, a total of 79 new passengers were detected on the cruise ship Diamond Princess, including 73 passengers and 6 crew members, on the 19th. Of these, there are 23 Japanese.

By age,
4Four teens and under,
3 3 people in their 20s,
6 people in their 30s,
1010 people in their 50s,
49 49 people in their 60s,
6 people in their 70s,
▽ One person in my 80s.

Among them, there are 68 people without symptoms such as fever.

This means that a total of 3011 passengers and crew members have been inspected on the cruise ship, and a total of 621 people have been infected.

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 28 of the confirmed individuals are seriously ill, some of whom are being treated in intensive care units. In addition, there is one seriously ill person who has not been infected.”

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

No, why? If the situation gets so dire that there won't be dorm supplies available because of large scale quarantines, surely they will close the dorms.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, regentrude said:

No, why? If the situation gets so dire that there won't be dorm supplies available because of large scale quarantines, surely they will close the dorms.

I think things could become more expensive.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

For May I might just because I don’t like to have last minute frantic supply getting.  Nothing to do with virus situation.  Too soon for August, Imo.  

Agree that if world is so disrupted that you can’t get dorm supplies, the dorms themselves won’t be open. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/asia/japan-health-guidelines-coronavirus-hnk-intl/index.html

more on disembarkation.   

The pictures look risky for transmission if people are infected but not yet showing positive—or even just have infectious droplets on themselves. Crying and thus rubbing eyes with hands that may have touched contaminated surface, for example...   masks that look like they have poor seals around face ...   

Latest figures from BNO only show an increase of 349 new cases but 108 deaths

however they state its a net increase because the figures from yesterday don’t match.  There was some messages indicating they are going back to reporting only tested not symptom based but I haven’t had a chance to check into it to see if it’s reliable. 

south Korea reporting more new cases 

• Like 1

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-coronavirus-covid-19-sanitiser-gloves-manufacturers-12450290

“KUALA LUMPUR: With demand for sanitising products surging in Malaysia amid the COVID-19 outbreak, local manufacturers are struggling to fulfill the requests because they, too, are running out of materials.

Producers of rubber gloves, meanwhile, are facing worker shortage as they ramp up production to meet international demand.  

Local manufacturers of hand sanitisers and disinfectants told CNA that even though orders have increased up to five-fold, they could not produce more when they could not lay their hands on ethanol - the main ingredient to sterilise the microbes - as well as plastic bottles and bottle accessories. 

In the Klang Valley suburb of Bangi, HanaMedic Sdn Bhd’s marketing manager Nadia Azlin Adnan said the surge in demand for ethanol had driven up prices by up to four times.

“The prices started going up about two to three weeks back from RM4.50 a litre to close to RM18.

“Luckily we bought our stock just before prices started increasing,” she said.

HanaMedic normally produces about 400,000 bottles of hand sanitiser in a year, but with the COVID-19 outbreak, it has already hit over 395,000 bottles in the last three weeks, Ms Nadia revealed. 

Besides ethanol, pumps used to dispense hand sanitiser are also in short supply, Ms Nadia said.

Separately, Malaysia, which is the leading exporter of medical rubber gloves, has also seen increasing demand internationally. 

Top Glove Corporation, the world’s largest rubber glove producer, told CNA it has to outsource the packing process to meet the demand. 

It has exported about 148 million pieces to China between Jan 24 and Jan 30, and an additional 296 million pieces the following week. 

Its executive chairman Lim Wee Chai said these are on top of the three million latex and nitrile examination gloves donated to China as part of a Malaysian government-led drive. 

“Initially, we targeted 10 per cent to 15 per cent increase in sales revenue for FY2020, compared to the previous financial year before the outbreak,” Dr Lim said.

More sales orders are expected to come in, he said, depending on the severity and length of the novel coronavirus outbreak.”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

however they state its a net increase because the figures from yesterday don’t match.  There was some messages indicating they are going back to reporting only tested not symptom based but I haven’t had a chance to check into it to see if it’s reliable. 

South Korea reported 27 new today.  Total now 58. 

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Worldometer has 385 new in China-   113 deaths, but difference may be inclusion of Taiwan.    ETA: no, Taiwan separately reported and only reported 1 new today. 

Looks like 125 new outside of China reported today. 

Edited by Pen

10 hours ago, Aura said:

I found this 5 minute video from North Korea which does a better job of explaining things than anything the CDC or WHO have put out. From N. Korea!!! Regardless of whether you agree that the virus is a deadly as they seem to think, they quickly go over how it affects you, how it spreads, how to protect yourself--with a heavy emphasis on proper hand washing!--and what they are doing as a government to deal with it. 5 minutes of decent, actionable information that doesn't (IMO) incite panic but encourages people to be proactive and might actually do some good. From North Korea 🤯

I am a cynic, so this is not too surprising to me. Can you imagine any country that wants to deal with a mass panic by admitting that the virus is deadly, there is a pandemic, markets might crash because our supply chains are in China, the quarantines for the westerners were not well run and that there is no vaccine yet?! North Korea, by virtue of the kind of government it has, does not have any worries on that regard 😉 They speak the truth as they see it. They can control the population's behavior, social media posts, tweets, hoarding tendencies, published death counts etc! As I said, I am a cynic.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I am a cynic, so this is not too surprising to me. Can you imagine any country that wants to deal with a mass panic by admitting that the virus is deadly, there is a pandemic, markets might crash because our supply chains are in China, the quarantines for the westerners were not well run and that there is no vaccine yet?! North Korea, by virtue of the kind of government it has, does not have any worries on that regard 😉 They speak the truth as they see it. They can control the population's behavior, social media posts, tweets, hoarding tendencies, published death counts etc! As I said, I am a cynic.

I agree with you- though I think @Aura found the “what to do” information easier to follow than what she has seen on her own local media. 

Easy to follow is a good thing IF it is correct.  

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, Pen said:

https://youtu.be/RECcmQQQOj8

this is an older doctor from England talking about how to keep well.  

Including a little simulated visual on how to wash hands

It could be applicable to colds and flu as well as coronavirus

It is essentially the same concepts that I was raised with (I’m one of the older boardies , I think) , concepts and practices that I think have been perhaps been lost to a younger generation raised to believe in going out in public when sick as standard.  And relying on vaccines and hand sanitizers may also have made a change.  And I don’t think this new approach is working well.  So many more people seem to be sick over and over.  

Quoting this earlier post of mine because I think it has a good, clear, “what to do” and how to wash hands.  Better than the North Korea broadcast imo. 

( @Aura especially... and this was from 3 weeks earlier than the N Korea broadcast, so more very clear “what to do” earlier... and in my opinion better.  Supposedly he did one just on how to wash hands properly, but I’m not sure where it is.  Based on my observation in public washrooms few people know how, and “20 seconds “ stated in the N Korea broadcast isn’t enough information. ) 

Edited by Pen

I am the first to admit my economic ignorance, but I am baffled that the markets here seem to shrug this off. Usually any hint of major problems and people react, but the last few years it just seems like investors are wearing blinders and are just determined to keep driving prices up no matter what is going on. Do investors really think this is not going to affect our economy much? Apparently so. Either that or they want to wring out every last dollar before running for the hills, thinking they can time that. We’re buy and hold investors, so we’re not changing anything, but for awhile now I’ve been checking the markets and thinking, “Really?”

• Like 1

“BREAKING: South Korea reports 31 new cases of coronavirus, taking country's total to 82 - Yonhap”

this is not good at all

my fear is this scenario here also because testing has been limited to people with travel history to WuhAn.  So anyone who has picked it up another way could be locally spreading it at a low level undetected until someone becomes seriously ill and testing finds out.   We do have warmer weather now but not forever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pen said:

Worldometer has 385 new in China-   113 deaths, but difference may be inclusion of Taiwan.    ETA: no, Taiwan separately reported and only reported 1 new today. 

Looks like 125 new outside of China reported today. 

Also apparently definitely not counting asymptomatic cases.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also apparently definitely not counting asymptomatic cases.

No.  And they probably went back to only ones confirmed by lab test I read somewhere.  (Which May mean that only represents cases from parts of country that still have test kits) Any way, it’s probably a lot higher in China.

The steady rise outside is concerning. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

From Military Times https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/02/19/us-forces-korea-imposes-new-coronavirus-protections-after-uptick-in-s-korea-cases/

“Service members in South Korea who’ve attended New World Church in Daegu over the past 10 days must undergo a mandatory self-quarantine to monitor for symptoms of coronavirus, according to U.S. Forces Korea.

The move comes after South Korea reported 15 confirmed cases of the virus, now known as COVID19, stemming from the evangelical church Wednesday. That brings the total number of cases in South Korea up to 51, according to the South China Morning Post.

USFK commander commander Army Gen. Robert Abrams announced the quarantine on Wednesday, and said family members, civilians, and contractors also participate in the quarantine. The quarantine would last until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Korea conducts contact trace procedures to check who has had exposure to the virus, Abrams said.

“We must protect the force and our community by maintaining our “Fight Tonight” readiness.” Abrams said in a statement.

Additionally, Abrams said he is raising the risk assessment for USFK from low to moderate and that all troop’s non-essential travel to and from Daegu, where U.S. Army Garrison Daegu is located, will be cut off.

“All visitors who are not performing mission essential or official business will be denied access to USAG-Daegu and Area IV military installations for the next 24 hours, and this directive will be reassessed every 24 hours,” Abrams said.

Abrams also stressed that good hygiene the most effective way to halt the virus’ spread.

U.S. Army Garrison Daegu announced Wednesday non-mission essential personnel would not report to work on Thursday, and that the base’s high school, elementary school, and child development center would be closed that day.

“Dual military families and single parents should speak to their chain of command and supervisors, but command teams will err on the side of the military families as to not cause undue burden and hardship,” U.S. Army Garrison Daegu said in a Facebook post.

Conditions will be assessed on a daily basis, according to the military installation.

USFK previously imposed a 14-day quarantine for all U.S. troops headed to South Korea after visiting China earlier this month. Family members and other DoD personnel were also strongly encouraged to participate in the quarantine following travel from China.”

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

“BREAKING: South Korea reports 31 new cases of coronavirus, taking country's total to 82 - Yonhap”

this is not good at all

my fear is this scenario here also because testing has been limited to people with travel history to WuhAn.  So anyone who has picked it up another way could be locally spreading it at a low level undetected until someone becomes seriously ill and testing finds out.   We do have warmer weather now but not forever.

If you can get sunshine safely, do so.  There’s better evidence for immune help from vitamin D from natural sunshine than for vitamin D from a capsule. 

How cold are your winters?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I am the first to admit my economic ignorance, but I am baffled that the markets here seem to shrug this off. Usually any hint of major problems and people react, but the last few years it just seems like investors are wearing blinders and are just determined to keep driving prices up no matter what is going on. Do investors really think this is not going to affect our economy much? Apparently so. Either that or they want to wring out every last dollar before running for the hills, thinking they can time that. We’re buy and hold investors, so we’re not changing anything, but for awhile now I’ve been checking the markets and thinking, “Really?”

Many american companies have warned that their earnings outlook is not good because of the virus (e.g. apple) and many company's stock have run up (e.g. Gilead which is working on a vaccine).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

so from what I can tell the low figures today are because some of the cases previously counted due to symptoms were deducted when they tested negative.  The actual new number was around 600 which is still significantly lower. ( If these numbers are accurate)

Daily cases outside mainland China are rising along a graph that suggests exponential growth even, I think, if Diamond Princess is excluded.  Though of course looking much worse with Dp included. 

• Like 1

From CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/health/coronavirus-airport-temperature-checks/index.html

Effectiveness of airport screening at detecting travellers infected with novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)  study mentioned in the article https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.5.2000080

“While the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has screened more than 30,000 passengers in the past month, not a single US coronavirus case has been caught by airport temperature checks, according to a CNN investigation.

There has long been debate about the usefulness of airport temperature checks, but this recent experience at US airports, plus a new European study, seem to point in the direction that they don't work.

Earlier this month, British researchers published a study showing that temperature checks will fail to detect a coronavirus infection nearly half the time. 

At least one country has found airport temperature checks so unhelpful that it decided not to do them during the novel coronavirus outbreak. Israel used them in previous years for Ebola, SARS and H1N1, but found that they didn't work.

"It is ineffective and inefficient," said Dr. Itamar Grotto, associate director general of Israel's Ministry of Health.

Grotto said the problem is that a normal temperature gives "false assurance." Passengers with normal temperatures could still be in the incubation period, which means they're infected, but have yet to develop a fever.

In addition, a small number of patients with the novel coronavirus don't have fever, according to published studies.

Some experts are convinced that for these reasons, temperature checks at airports are useless.

"I don't think airport temperature checks have any major effect on stopping or even slowing down transmission," said Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist and professor at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. "We just don't have any good data to support that."

Ten passengers flew into US airports on commercial airliners and were later diagnosed with coronavirus. 

CNN's investigation shows that four of those 10 passengers went through temperature checks and were found not to have a fever or any other symptoms of the virus. Two of those passengers flew into Los Angeles International Airport and two flew into San Francisco International Airport.

There's another reason why airport temperature checks don't always work: human nature. 

Let's say someone's on a long-haul flight to the United States and starts to have a scratchy throat or feel tired or achy. The passenger might attribute those feelings to jet lag or dry air on the plane. Maybe they would take a pain relief medicine such as Advil or Tylenol and try to forget about it. 

"That's just human nature," said Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. 

When the person lands, they might not have a fever because, in addition to relieving pain, Advil and Tylenol also treat fever. 

"That's why for this type of screening, there's no evidence it has any measurable impact on the ultimate course of the outbreak," Osterholm said.”

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Two deaths from DP. 😞 

😞 From NHK https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200220_28/

“Japan's government officials say an 87-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman, both Japanese, died on Thursday.

The two individuals had underlying health problems.
They were taken off the ship last week and had been hospitalized.

The death toll in Japan from the virus now stands at three.”

• Sad 2

• 1 new case in Taiwan, bringing
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • , bringing the total to 24. The source of infection for this latest case has not been traced. Possible community-based transmission is being investigated. Patient is a 60-year-old woman with no travel history abroad in the last two years. She had a fever and cough on Jan. 22, went to the clinic four times and was diagnosed with common cold and other diseases. Symptoms worsened with shortness of breath. Diagnosed with pneumonia on Jan. 29, hospitalized on Jan. 30, transferred to the intensive care unit on Feb. 10.

• 24 new cases in South Korea (31 cases, of which 24 announced after midnight GMT and 7 cases reported previously). Cases have more than doubled (+165% increase) in the last 24 hours, rising from 31 to 82 (+ 51).

source: