Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

From abcnews https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/egypt-confirms-case-virus-68991251

“February 14, 2020, 10:43 AM

CAIRO -- Egypt's Health Ministry has confirmed the first case of the new virus in the North African country. 

In a statement Friday, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Mugahed said the person was a “foreigner" who is carrying the virus but not showing any serious symptoms. 

Officials were able to confirm the case through a follow-up program the government implemented for travelers arriving from countries where the virus has spread. The ministry statement said the person was hospitalized and in isolation.”

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It scares me when I see the number of people in total lockdown and unable to leave their houses.  Community workers are meant to deliver food and necessities but it seems hard to imagine there won’t be some things or people missed in such a large scale situation.

Yes.  Some might happen.

But with electric, phones etc working it should be possible for most (not a kid alone with severe cerebral palsy etc, but most reasonably competent adults) to communicate while on lockdown

35 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sounds like at least one thing I read indicated they can only recover the antibodies from donated plasma from recovered patients.  So this has pretty serious limitations on how much can be produced and is tied to those people’s willingness to donate blood.  

Yes. I mentioned that the antibodies are taken from the plasma of recovered patients in my original post. The CDC was taking samples from quarantined people here in the US in part for this reason.

As for the limitations, that depends upon how long the process takes and if the antibodies can be grown in a lab. I know they first have to find the antibodies that match the virus. Then they have a number of other steps as well. I'm just curious how this will develop.

2 hours ago, Pen said:

My guess would be a wait and see? Is it increasing or tapering in next couple of weeks. 

Or maybe people are afraid to discuss it and it would help if you opened the topic?

I have never been to a homeschool conference, but I imagine that some materials vendors have to travel quite a ways by plane to get to them, but that mostly homeschool conferences  are relatively local.  If that’s the case it probably doesn’t need to be decided in February.   

If expenses are being paid out now for something that might not happen, maybe canceling or rescheduling to summer would be better.   Can such a conference be done virtual as a tele summit?  

I'm vending at the Great Homeschool Conferences in Ft. Worth in March, but I'm driving there (I'm in New Mexico). They have another sooner that will be in Nashville. I should probably ask them what their plan is, because they have said nothing. 

ETA: The Nashville conference is actually Teach Them Diligently, not GHC. Either way, neither have said anything. GHC in TX happens in less than 30 days...

Edited by Renai

@Ausmumof3

Ironic 😞

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590053619300308
“Human-animal interactions and bat coronavirus spillover potential among rural residents in Southern China

Author links open overlay panelHongyingLiafEmmaMendelsohnaChenZongbWeiZhangcEmilyHaganaNingWangcShiyueLidHongYandHuiminHuangdGuangjianZhuaNoamRossaAlekseiChmuraaPhilipTerryeMarkFielderfMaureenMillergZhengliShicPeterDaszaka
a
EcoHealth Alliance, New York, NY, USA
b
School of Education and Human Development, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, USA
c
Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430071, China
d
School of Health Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
e
Directorate of Research, Business and Innovation, Kingston University, London, UK
f
School of Life Science, Engineering and Computing, Kingston University, London, UK
g
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA

Received 9 July 2019, Revised 26 October 2019, Accepted 28 October 2019, Available online 9 November 2019.

Highlights

Scientific question.

What are the behavioral risks in human-animal interactions that could lead to the emergence of bat coronaviruses in human population.

Evidence before this study.

Bat borne coronaviruses have caused several emerging infectious disease outbreaks of global significance, including SARS. Novel SARS-related coronaviruses have been discovered in bat populations in Southern China, some of which have the capacity to infect human cells. Human-animal interactions are thought to be critical for the emergence of bat coronaviruses, however the specific interactions linked to animal-to-human spillover remain unknown.

New Findings.

This study found serological evidence for bat-borne coronavirus transmission to people. Direct contact with bats was not identified as a risk factor. However, self-reported severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) and/or influenza-like illness (ILI) was linked to human interaction with other wildlife and livestock, suggesting that there may be other zoonotic exposures leading to clinical illness in these populations.

Significance of the study.

Findings from this study suggested that an integrated biological and behavioral surveillance in healthy community settings can help identify potential zoonotic disease spillover events or target surveillance to at-risk populations. This approach represents a potential early-warning system that could be used under non-outbreak conditions to identify potential zoonotic emerging diseases prior to largescale outbreaks.

Abstract

Human interaction with animals has been implicated as a primary risk factor for several high impact zoonoses, including many bat-origin viral diseases. However the animal-to-human spillover events that lead to emerging diseases are rarely observed or clinically examined, and the link between specific interactions and spillover risk is poorly understood. To investigate this phenomenon, we conducted biological-behavioral surveillance among rural residents in Yunnan, Guangxi, and Guangdong districts of Southern China, where we have identified a number of SARS-related coronaviruses in bats. Serum samples were tested for four bat-borne coronaviruses using newly developed enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA). Survey data were used to characterize associations between human-animal contact and bat coronavirus spillover risk. A total of 1,596 residents were enrolled in the study from 2015 to 2017. Nine participants (0.6%) tested positive for bat coronaviruses. 265 (17%) participants reported severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and/or influenza-like illness (ILI) symptoms in the past year, which were associated with poultry, carnivore, rodent/shrew, or bat contact, with variability by family income and district of residence. This study provides serological evidence of bat coronavirus spillover in rural communities in Southern China. The low seroprevalence observed in this study suggests that bat coronavirus spillover is a rare event. Nonetheless, this study highlights associations between human-animal interaction and zoonotic spillover risk. These findings can be used to support targeted biological behavioral surveillance in high-risk geographic areas in order to reduce the risk of zoonotic disease emergence.”

• Sad 1

From abc7news https://abc7news.com/5931600/

“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- One passenger on United Airlines flight 901 traveling from San Francisco to London Heathrow exhibited symptoms consistent with COVID-19, a source at United Airlines tells ABC News.

UA Flight 901 arrived in London around 9 am GMT.

All 251 passengers, 13 crew members and the individual who exhibited symptoms deplaned the Boeing 777, United Airlines said.

United Airlines released a statement saying, "The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority and we are working closely with Public Health England regarding this individual case. Our crews are trained and ready to respond to anyone on board the aircraft who may become ill in flight and we continue to follow additional precautions recommended by the Public Health England. The aircraft has undergone a deep clean, which includes cleaning all surface areas and overhead bins."

The airline suspended all flights from Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong until April 24 amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.

"If the CDC or another authority identifies someone having traveled with United as testing positive for the novel coronavirus, the agency will request the manifest of the flight and connect with those identified as having close contact with the diagnosed passenger," United Airlines said.

The condition of the person who exhibited symptoms of the virus is unknown.

ABC News has reached out to Public Health England for more information.”

Edited by Arcadia

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm vending at the Great Homeschool Conferences in Ft. Worth in March, but I'm driving there (I'm in New Mexico). They have another sooner that will be in Nashville. I should probably ask them what their plan is, because they have said nothing. 

ETA: The Nashville conference is actually Teach Them Diligently, not GHC. Either way, neither have said anything. GHC in TX happens in less than 30 days...

Ask them sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

67,100 and 1525

if we are trusting these numbers that’s a slowdown I think

1 day doesn’t seem enough for a trend especially as they have been changing criteria.

Maybe it’s a slow down, maybe it’s full hospitals in hardest hit areas, or staff losses

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

1 day doesn’t seem enough for a trend especially as they have been changing criteria.

Maybe it’s a slow down, maybe it’s full hospitals in hardest hit areas, or staff losses

Yeah especially with the way the numbers have bounced around for a couple of days

not 4000 today anyway like yesterday

i don’t know whether people in shut down buildings are accessing medical care 

Let me put my aluminum foil hat on for a moment & say I don't really believe this but consider...

With the CDCs latest move to test flu patients in those five major cities with coronavirus test kits, I wonder if they really think it is already out there. It would explain why this flu season is so bad...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Let me put my aluminum foil hat on for a moment & say I don't really believe this but consider...

With the CDCs latest move to test flu patients in those five major cities with coronavirus test kits, I wonder if they really think it is already out there. It would explain why this flu season is so bad...

I think this is a smart move.  There have been enough cases that weren’t easily traceable to WuhAn or even mainstream China.  Unless travel bans are extended across Asia it’s likely there’s some undetected mild cases.

I wonder what the testing process costs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Better safe than sorry. I'm sure they'd prefer to waste a few resources now than cost millions later.

33 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The whole of Wuhan is apparently in no one leaves the house lockdown now.  Logistically how do you get the right food and medicine to 11 million people?  If there are 11 million people left.

Only about half of the people are still there, but no, they do not have the recourses.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Did anyone mention this already but looks like US is evacuating US citizens from the diamond princess.  

One of the news articles I quoted mentioned it but no procedures were confirmed at that time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1228518488060366848

“The US will evacuate the roughly 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship under quarantine in Japan because of coronavirus, the Wall Street Journal reports https://cnn.it/2OTRMdd

• Thanks 1

wsj has detail but it’s behind a paywall.  I hope Australia will follow their lead.  I do wonder if they will require more quarantine time at home.  

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

One of the news articles I quoted mentioned it but no procedures were confirmed at that time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1228518488060366848

“The US will evacuate the roughly 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship under quarantine in Japan because of coronavirus, the Wall Street Journal reports https://cnn.it/2OTRMdd

10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

wsj has detail but it’s behind a paywall.  I hope Australia will follow their lead.  I do wonder if they will require more quarantine time at home.  

About 380 Americans and their families on the ship, docked in Yokohama, Japan, will be offered seats on two State Department-organized planes flying back to the U.S., said Henry Walke, director of the CDC’s Division of Preparedness and Emerging Infections, on Friday. They are arriving in the U.S. as early as Sunday, he said

A CDC team is on the ground in Japan to assess the health of the cruise ship passengers, Dr. Walke said. Those with a fever, cough or other symptoms won’t be allowed on the flights.

Evacuees will likely arrive first at Travis Air Force Base near Sacramento, Calif., where they will undergo additional health screenings, said Dr. Walke. Some will likely remain at Travis to undergo a mandatory quarantine, which will likely be 14 days, he said. Others may be moved to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio to quarantine.

” https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-to-evacuate-some-americans-from-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-11581733214?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/rqxICHk8lt

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

9 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I confess I had the same thought but nobody I could share it with. 

More like free field testing of the new kits for the CDC so that they can get it FDA approved in the future. Now the test kits are approved only as an emergency measure but not commercial purposes.

info on test kit https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0206-coronavirus-diagnostic-test-kits.html

• Like 3

Used bank notes used in buses hospitals or wet markets to be destroyed - according to global times tweet

The Guangzhou branch of China’s central bank, the People’s Bank of China, says that all used banknotes from hospitals, wet markets and buses will be destroyed immediately to combat the #COVID19 crisis

Quote Tweet

Global Times

@globaltimesnews

· 1h

Brand-new RMB banknotes worth 600 billion yuan ($85.87 billion) were dispatched across China on Jan 17, the central bank said, considering the safety of old banknotes and the likelihood of #COVID19 via contact. Banknotes circulation across provinces were halted as a precaution.

hopefully I’m not quoting too much here I don’t want any copyright trouble for WTM again

@Ausmumof3

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/australia-mulls-evacuating-passengers-on-stranded-coronavirus-cruise-ship-20200215-p5413l.html
“Australia has begun hatching a plan to evacuate some of the more than 200 Australians off the stranded Diamond Princess cruise ship, dispatching a public health expert to Japan as passengers endure a second week under quarantine for the coronavirus disease.

While not committing to evacuating the Australians on board the ship, the Morrison government is now leaning towards rescuing passengers – particularly the elderly – and taking them to Australia to be quarantined for 14 days.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/australia-mulls-evacuating-passengers-on-stranded-coronavirus-cruise-ship-20200215-p5413l.html
“Australia has begun hatching a plan to evacuate some of the more than 200 Australians off the stranded Diamond Princess cruise ship, dispatching a public health expert to Japan as passengers endure a second week under quarantine for the coronavirus disease.

While not committing to evacuating the Australians on board the ship, the Morrison government is now leaning towards rescuing passengers – particularly the elderly – and taking them to Australia to be quarantined for 14 days.”

I've always thought getting the passengers off the ship for quarantine would be a better option.  it would seem a cruise ship makes for a very nice petri dish.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've always thought getting the passengers off the ship for quarantine would be a better option.  it would seem a cruise ship makes for a very nice petri dish.

Japan may not have the facilities to house so many people (passengers and crew) on land and it’s already a big expense to test and give medical care to the infected people. While the 380 Americans on board might have been able to be quarantined at one of the US naval bases in Japan, there are still plenty of people of other nationalities on that ship.

US is finally having plans to evacuate their people on that ship. Australia might evacuate their people. The other nations have not say what are their plans for helping their citizens get home. 

• Like 2

From Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-government-gives-2000-iphones-coronavirus-cruise-ship-passengers-2020-2

“On Friday, they received a tiny bit of good news in the form of 2,000 iPhones, or one per cabin, courtesy of the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare and the Japanese telecom company SoftBank, according to 9to5Mac and an earlier report by Macotakara.

The phones were distributed with a predownloaded app that allows people to request medication, arrange consultations with doctors, and receive information from health officials, according to 9to5Mac.

The SoftBank-serviced iPhones were needed because people may not have been able to download the app if their own devices were registered to app stores of countries other than Japan”

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Other than stocking food, what should people be doing?

I am surprised that places have cancelled business meetings domestically and that people are rethinking domestic travel.   I guess why it all surprises me is that reports you read say this isn't something to worry about.  It is a cold.  Some of the people that have the virus are not even really sick. They feel fine.  So don't worry.    But then you see the doctors in full suits treating people.  I just don't get what you are really supposed to be doing and feeling.  

WASH YOUR HANDS! 😁 Seriously, wash your hands after you've been out. Avoid touching your face. Make your kids wash their hands regularly.  Soap and water will do wonders to cut down on the germ load and decrease your odds of catching something. 

I do not prepare for an end-of-days scenario, but I try to keep enough stuff on hand to keep my household running decently for a month.  I"m not a "prepper", but I live in an area with limited grocery options, so if a store is shut down for any reason, people freak out. Our local store was shut down for a day due to a small fire, and people flipped their lids. 

Stock up on shelf stable/dry goods things that your family uses and eats regularly. I don't buy things my family would only eat if they were starving to death, because it's unlikely we'll be in a starving-to-death scenario.  It is far more likely we'll one day be in a "This really stinks; this is really difficult and inconvenient" type scenario due to natural disaster or job loss.  It's better to stock up on things before you need them, rather than waiting until a crisis occurs. 

I'm expecting coronavirus to show up in San Antonio, (where my husband works), because people are being quarantined at Lackland AFB in SA.  One of the quarantined people is positive for coronavirus and was moved to a local hospital.  Quarantines can fail; all it takes it for one person to make a mistake or get lax in maintaining standards.  The general public is pretty flippin' cavalier about exposing others to germs and illness, (I'm looking at you, lady who coughed in the freezer case at the grocery! And you, librarian who coughed on my books before handing them to me! Gah!!!)  What can present as a mild illness in one person can be devastating and require hospitalization for another person.  I don't want to be on the giving or receiving end when it comes to illness.     

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The whole of Wuhan is apparently in no one leaves the house lockdown now.  Logistically how do you get the right food and medicine to 11 million people?  If there are 11 million people left.

No. The mayor of Wuhan said when the outbreak became known to the outside world that 6 million fled Wuhan just before the quarantine was enforced. If a chinese government official said that, I doubt that only 6 million fled. right now, how many people are left in the city is anybody's guess.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I'm expecting coronavirus to show up in San Antonio, (where my husband works), because people are being quarantined at Lackland AFB in SA.  Quarantines can fail; all it takes it for one person to make a mistake or get lax in maintaining standards.     

Read this story of the california woman who went walking all over the army base where she was quarantined. She was not supposed to leave her quarantine room. Many people are questioning what would have happened to the people at the army base had she not tested negative for the virus.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2020/02/07/as-coronavirus-epidemic-spreads-palo-alto-woman-recounts-desperation-to-get-out-of-wuhan

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

Read this story of the california woman who went walking all over the army base where she was quarantined. She was not supposed to leave her quarantine room. Many people are questioning what would have happened to the people at the army base had she not tested negative for the virus.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2020/02/07/as-coronavirus-epidemic-spreads-palo-alto-woman-recounts-desperation-to-get-out-of-wuhan

Yep, and stories like that are why I expect the virus to show up in the population here. That story and the stories of people popping Tylenol before their flight so they won't show a fever.  I get that people are frightened and just want to go home, where it's "safe", but home won't be safe if people don't take the quarantine seriously. 

• Like 4

China's Ministry of Science and Technology stressed on Sat the need to strengthen the management of laboratories, especially virus controls, to assure biological security. (File Photo)

??? tweet from global times.  As I understand this is a Chinese gov approved tabloid style outlet.  This seems odd.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RootAnn said:

That’s not tinfoil hat area.  Yes, WHO and CDC have been very... deliberate with their words the whole time, and I believe there was even one gentleman from the CDC (but I could be wrong, so don’t hold me to that association) who recently made some straight up wrong/lies about transmission methods, but they’ve mostly left plenty of Wiggle room in statements.

They have stated that they expect more US transmission, and that their focus is on *slowing it. They know people traveled here before quarantines. They know (and we’ve seen that) humans don’t all abide by isolation/quarantine requests. I’m pretty confident that at least most of them are a ton smarter than me, lol, so I’m sure they’ve known they haven’t caught every case for quite some time now. And mild cases could certainly pass for seasonal flu this season!

They do have fair reason to be selective in their information. Panic is a big danger from multiple angles. (Panic and preparing are two different things!) As much as I want straight up facts, they really could have giant social and economic impacts when they cause a lot of people to panic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

China's Ministry of Science and Technology stressed on Sat the need to strengthen the management of laboratories, especially virus controls, to assure biological security. (File Photo)

??? tweet from global times.  As I understand this is a Chinese gov approved tabloid style outlet.  This seems odd.

Admission of release from a lab?

I saw a comment somewhere else where someone thought some governments would use the transmission risk of paper money as an excuse for moving to a cashless society.

I was watching the following interview with a guy whose wife was removed from the Diamond Princess for testing positive for COVID19. He said at one point that authorities are not treating the patients for anything other than the symptoms because there is no treatment for this virus. It makes sense not to waste medicine on someone who is not experiencing any symptoms, but  my understanding was that several different treatments were being tried successfully. Do you think they reaslly aren't trying any of those treatments on the sick  (experiencing bad symptoms) or that this guy just doesn't have all the info?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/02/14/passenger-japan-ship-quarantined-coronavirus-acfc-full-episode-vpx.cnn

Edited by RootAnn
Forgot to add link

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I saw a comment somewhere else where someone thought some governments would use the transmission risk of paper money as an excuse for moving to a cashless society.

I was watching the following interview with a guy whose wife was removed from the Diamond Princess for testing positive for COVID19. He said at one point that authorities are not treating the patients for anything other than the symptoms because there is no treatment for this virus. It makes sense not to waste medicine on someone who is not experiencing any symptoms, but  my understanding was that several different treatments were being tried successfully. Do you think they reaslly aren't trying any of those treatments on the sick  (experiencing bad symptoms) or that this guy just doesn't have all the info?

From what I can see China have been wanting to introduce digital currency for a while so you might be right 

edited to add for the second part 

the only two things I’ve seen mentioned that were Somewhat successful were the plasma treatment and the other thing starting with an r can’t remember the name.  But for plasma you’d have to have recovered cases and I guess there’s not many outside China.  And as I  understand it the other one is under patent and China is just manufacturing it anyway and is a long way from tested and approved.  So maybe they could speed that up but it would still take time. Probably in an epidemic situation people are more likely to try stuff than where the hospital is able to provide the supportive care needed to every patient.  Also I think there was some TCM stuff happening for supportive care in China.

But that’s just off the top of my head and biology was never my strong subject.

Edited by Ausmumof3

Yeah, there was a HIV drug? Or something they used for ebola? 

https://www.livescience.com/amp/possible-treatments-new-coronavirus.html

I guess I didn't realize they weren't treating people with experimental drugs, just trying to relieve symptoms. So, really, it is surprising more aren't dying. Or, is it just that most people aren't experiencing symptoms so bad that the docs resort to actually experimenting?

Eta:  the other one besides remdesivir that I saw was chloroquine.

Edited by RootAnn
Fixed link & added name of other drug

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Yeah, there was a HIV drug? Or something they used for ebola? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/possible-treatments-new-coronavirus.html

I guess I didn't realize they weren't treating people with experimental drugs, just trying to relieve symptoms. So, really, it is surprising more aren't dying. Or, is it just that most people aren't experiencing symptoms so bad that the docs resort to actually experimenting?

Do you mean in China or elsewhere?  I think they are trying a lot of different stuff in China however the health system is overwhelmed so it’s probably not universal.   

one other thing I’ve seen but not read in depth to know if there’s any truth to it but that the drug manufacturing capacity might be impaired by the lockdown even for more mainstream drugs.  So that might limit the quantities of more unusual stuff that’s produced.  But I haven’t really checked into that just noticed in passing.

38 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/02/14/passenger-japan-ship-quarantined-coronavirus-acfc-full-episode-vpx.cnn

I didn't take his statement about not treating patients as they weren't treating anyone.  I took it to mean they weren't treating patients whose symptoms weren't causing distress.  His wife has a mild cough if I remember correctly and they had no idea that she was sick.  But she's quarantined in the hospital so that she hopefully won't spread it.  So It doesn't make sense to "treat" her because what she's experiencing is so mild.  And since it's a virus treating symptoms is really all they can do (and are for those whose symptoms are causing distress).  At least that's how "I" interpreted what he said.

• Like 2

Maybe most of the stuff I read was about what they are trying on China but I definitely read about the remdesivir use on the Washington case. That left me with the impression that when you were hospitalized with the coronavirus, they were treating you for it. I guess that is not the case in Japan & the US in the majority of cases.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I didn't take his statement about not treating patients as they weren't treating anyone.  I took it to mean they weren't treating patients whose symptoms weren't causing distress.  His wife has a mild cough if I remember correctly and they had no idea that she was sick.  But she's quarantined in the hospital so that she hopefully won't spread it.  So It doesn't make sense to "treat" her because what she's experiencing is so mild.  And since it's a virus treating symptoms is really all they can do (and are for those whose symptoms are causing distress).  At least that's how "I" interpreted what he said.

Yeah, I realize they aren't treating his wife because she's not really experiencing symptoms. I was referring to when he said they aren't treating patients because there is no treatment. I'd remembered reading about several successful experimental used of HIV & Ebola drugs so it surprised me.